• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Army Deploying 'Individual Gunshot Detector'

Cool device, although they could have gone into more technical detail. The one I remember reading about, while it was in development, detected enemy fire by the sound of the bullet going through the air, not the sound of the gun at the muzzle. I think this one works the same way, but the article wasn't that specific.

Now we need to wire this to robots controlling machine guns or mortars to fire back almost instantly.
 
With it costing nearly $1 million per year per soldier, would it really be more expensive to field small robots on treads with mounted rifles / machine guns? Not to mention retirement and health benefits? No more casualties and an endless pool of twitch-shooter soldiers to tap into.
 
Cool device, although they could have gone into more technical detail. The one I remember reading about, while it was in development, detected enemy fire by the sound of the bullet going through the air, not the sound of the gun at the muzzle. I think this one works the same way, but the article wasn't that specific.

Now we need to wire this to robots controlling machine guns or mortars to fire back almost instantly.

Actually, this!

Why can't it immediatly Paint the target with GPS or Laser for instant retaliation? Preferably from a sniper with a .50 imo...... :D
 
This is awesome, anything to protect troops! I also really like the system they've had for a while that fires back at mortars. It triangulates where it came from and nails the enemy in under 3 tries. There has been a dramatic decrease in random mortar strikes since that system was implemented. And even more so with the "R2D2" defense system that shreds incoming mortars before they touch down.
 
Now we need to wire this to robots controlling machine guns or mortars to fire back almost instantly.

They already tried making a weapon system like that with similar device that used a super doppler to track bullets. Last I heard/read it had been decided that it was inhumane and/or against some sort of treaty to kill enemy combatants with an automated system. having trouble finding a link but i'll post it later if I do.
 
With it costing nearly $1 million per year per soldier, would it really be more expensive to field small robots on treads with mounted rifles / machine guns? Not to mention retirement and health benefits? No more casualties and an endless pool of twitch-shooter soldiers to tap into.

Actually this is just the latest version of this, the first ones I remember were for for mortor and artillery fire and it did have the abilty to calculation the location and return fire.

Later during the conflict in Kosovo a smaller version was fielded which would detect and location the origin of sniper fire, and it to had the ability to autonomously return fire although I am not sure if that function was ever used as I know there was concern over collateral damage.

The current unit is basically the begining of the land warrior concept where it can actual show you the enemies location overlayed on a map via your helmet mounted eye display and allow your squad/platoon/company to also see it and combine it with whatever intel they have gathered.
 
In Journey to the Center of the Earth (the first movie) they had a device for locating the direction of the source of an echo. I always wondered if that was based on a real technology or poetic license. If it was real, I would assume this trajectory technology could be based on over century-old technology.
 
With it costing nearly $1 million per year per soldier, would it really be more expensive to field small robots on treads with mounted rifles / machine guns? Not to mention retirement and health benefits? No more casualties and an endless pool of twitch-shooter soldiers to tap into.

Or an even better money saver : "Get the hell out of Afghanistan!"

Last I heard, Bin Laden was in Pakistan, not Afghanistan.
Whatever happened to us helping Iraq rebuild their government? Don't hear shit about that anymore.
 
In the old days, an individual gunshot detector was usually called a Private. :D

Let the flogging commence, but I have to say, sorry Steve, not funny.

I'm usually all about some rough around the edges humor, but that one left a bad taste in my mouth.

Then again, maybe it's just Guiness time...
 
Actually this is just the latest version of this, the first ones I remember were for for mortor and artillery fire and it did have the abilty to calculation the location and return fire.

These things were built into Paladin systems and would go off in the middle of the day while I was in Iraq. A couple of air bursts provided for some interesting moments as well.
 
In the old days, an individual gunshot detector was usually called a Private. :D

Somehow I missesd that part of your message. lol!

Reminds me of something my sgt used to tell me, "as a pointman your job is to die LOUDLY!"
 
Let the flogging commence, but I have to say, sorry Steve, not funny.

I'm usually all about some rough around the edges humor, but that one left a bad taste in my mouth.

Then again, maybe it's just Guiness time...

Sadly, if you look closely at the picture, you'll notice that, yes indeed, it's a private wearing it.
 
Cool device, although they could have gone into more technical detail. The one I remember reading about, while it was in development, detected enemy fire by the sound of the bullet going through the air, not the sound of the gun at the muzzle. I think this one works the same way, but the article wasn't that specific.

Now we need to wire this to robots controlling machine guns or mortars to fire back almost instantly.

The small sensor, about the size of a deck of cards, detects the supersonic sound waves generated by enemy gunfire and instantaneously alerts Soldiers to the location and distance toward the hostile fire

Reading that bit, I think it's pretty much the same principle as this.
 
Or an even better money saver : "Get the hell out of Afghanistan!"

Last I heard, Bin Laden was in Pakistan, not Afghanistan.
Whatever happened to us helping Iraq rebuild their government? Don't hear shit about that anymore.



Its called Perpetual war or the 100 year war get with program buddy how else is the poor MIC going to make money? We never took heed of Eisenhower warning & now its coming full circle. Our government has not been accountable to us for a very long time...the people lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUXtyIQjubU
 
usually I find your comments hilarious and enjoyable, but making light of our soldiers lives is deplorable and wholly inappropriate
 
Somehow I missesd that part of your message. lol!

Reminds me of something my sgt used to tell me, "as a pointman your job is to die LOUDLY!"

When we were in the field in Germany, with no hostiles around except German farmers, we would salute our officers and instead of the standard greeting, would say "sniper check sir"

oddly enough, a few of them didn't think it was a damn bit funny :D
 
usually I find your comments hilarious and enjoyable, but making light of our soldiers lives is deplorable and wholly inappropriate

never been a soldier I take it. its one of the main forms of entertainement, its called "Black humor"
 
"When you get fired on, instead of trying to figure everything out, you will have technology to assist you in knowing what happened and where the shot was coming from," Fuller said.

All the technology in the world can't replace purposely incompetent leaders. What I'm hearing is: Let's make soldiers so reliant on technology that they can't help themselves without it. And let's expend the money on it.
 
Its called Perpetual war or the 100 year war get with program buddy how else is the poor MIC going to make money? We never took heed of Eisenhower warning & now its coming full circle. Our government has not been accountable to us for a very long time...the people lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUXtyIQjubU

Eisenhower worked for the CFR that's why he contributed taking down Patton.
 
All in all humans have only invented better ways to kill and to survive that killing. We really need to get over ourselves.
 
coming from a guy named enduring warrior....

And about the sniper finder joke, I'm in Iraq right now and i lol'd

Its a service members joke, we always joke about it, dont worry guys were not offended lol
 
How does this device know if the round is friendly or enemy?
 
How does this device know if the round is friendly or enemy?

I think it assumes that a bullet whizzing past your head isn't friendly.

That also assumes you've not got a blue on blue situation (which would be a pretty compelling argument against automated retaliaton).
 
If you from a military family, served in the military or have a son or daughter currently serving in the military, you get the joke. Hell, if you've seen a war movie, you get the joke. As long as the men and women that put it on the line every day for our country get the joke, that's all I care about.

For those of you "offended".... have you ever seen a war movie where the line is "Lieutenant, you're on point!" Ummm, no. Why is that? Because we all know who gets point. :D


Somehow I missesd that part of your message. lol!

Reminds me of something my sgt used to tell me, "as a pointman your job is to die LOUDLY!"

:)


never been a soldier I take it. its one of the main forms of entertainement, its called "Black humor"

Exactly.


coming from a guy named enduring warrior....

And about the sniper finder joke, I'm in Iraq right now and i lol'd

Its a service members joke, we always joke about it, dont worry guys were not offended lol


Enduring Warrior does not live in the U.S. and has never served in the U.S. military (him and I have had this discussion a half dozen times), I am not sure why he makes the comments he does. :(
 
Enduring Warrior does not live in the U.S. and has never served in the U.S. military (him and I have had this discussion a half dozen times), I am not sure why he makes the comments he does. :(

It's just growing up in a different environment and learning different values. We had some (former) East Germans come here to Arizona, and during lunch they asked us about the border fence. They were surprised when we told them we didn't shoot people at the fence. They just grew up in a different world.

That "sniper check, sir" thing is hilarious.
 
How does this device know if the round is friendly or enemy?

A 7.62mm bullet traveling at 2400 fps sounds different than a 5.56mm bullet traveling at 3000fps. Most of our enemies and potential enemies are using significantly different ammunition.
 
All the technology in the world can't replace purposely incompetent leaders. What I'm hearing is: Let's make soldiers so reliant on technology that they can't help themselves without it. And let's expend the money on it.


this is the American way....

this way you can't blame yourself and can place the blame on others.
 
http://www.bbn.com/products_and_services/boomerang/boomerang_warrior_x
"Weighing under 12 ounces, the system gives individual soldiers immediate awareness of hostile fire locations and, when integrated, can also provide unit leaders with shooter grid coordinates to enhance situational awareness needed to coordinate team responses to hostile fire.
Boomerang Warrior

Incoming shot announcements are transmitted to a built-in speaker or an ear piece while a light-weight display provides range and azimuth of the shooter position. As the Soldier moves, the system compensates for the Soldier's motion and continually updates the threat's location on the wrist display. "
 
Back
Top