ARK: Survival Evolved

Can confirm the new DLC area runs about twice as fast as The Island for me.

I think it's due to lack of shrubbery, and dark interior environment. It's physically less intensive, doubt it's more optimized.

I'm not buying. WC will never get any more money from me. They broke the game for me and a bunch of people with patch 265, and support is non-existent. Then there's the persistent bugs.... Even if someday they fix it (those of us with this problem haven't been able to play on any server since mid-October), I won't give them any more money.

Just had to float this thread up....I had left ARK for about a year because it glitched and I lost allot of time in a single player game, just kinda burned out on it...anyhooo I re-installed it for a peak just a few days ago and cooool, graphics even better and seems to have a working SLI profile. This game really is a gem.

Necroing this thread as well.

Back on Ark again for the some 6th time. Lol

Anyone still playing?

Currently enjoying a 3x PVE server for the past few weeks on the island.

Search in Alliedgaming for unofficial servers and stop by if anyone wants to play.

Probably my favorite survival game.

The game is free on Steam, with all the bonus DLC it's over 300 GB.
However it seems all the DLC are bonus maps. Does anyone know if it's safe to simply disable all the DLC maps I don't plan to use, to reduce the game's size? I assume there's no other content provided to the game by those DLC, besides the maps, so I won't miss out on anything.

The game is free on Steam, with all the bonus DLC it's over 300 GB.
However it seems all the DLC are bonus maps. Does anyone know if it's safe to simply disable all the DLC maps I don't plan to use, to reduce the game's size? I assume there's no other content provided to the game by those DLC, besides the maps, so I won't miss out on anything.

Yes. It's safe.

You only need the one you're playing on.

If it's a cross map server, all the content(weapons, dinos, etc) brought from other maps by players will be downloaded for you already .

If it's a cross map server, all the content(weapons, dinos, etc) brought from other maps by players will be downloaded for you already .
But keep in mind, that the game is freaking huge anyway. You may not save as much space as you expect.

But keep in mind, that the game is freaking huge anyway. You may not save as much space as you expect.

Of course. It's's like 100 to 120 gigs no matter what. Lot better than the 300 plus though.

The previously announced Survival Ascended remaster in UE5 that was going to be a free upgrade for current owners is now only going to be available in a bundle that includes Ark 2 in August for $50. In an additional blow, the official servers for the original version of the game will be shut off after Survival Ascended launches, forcing people to purchase the remaster if they want to keep playing. The killing shot is that you will need to purchase all your DLC again.

https://twitter.com/jeremystieglitz/status/1617365411510554624
1680521967804.png

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/346110/view/5515261257635865486
1680522016565.png

1680522095881.png

This looks so good. It’s crazy that’s I’ve been playing ARK off and on for 7+ years. The first game my wife hated. She’s much happier with Fortnite, lol.

The previously announced Survival Ascended remaster in UE5 that was going to be a free upgrade for current owners is now only going to be available in a bundle that includes Ark 2 in August for $50. In an additional blow, the official servers for the original version of the game will be shut off after Survival Ascended launches, forcing people to purchase the remaster if they want to keep playing. The killing shot is that you will need to purchase all your DLC again.

<snip>

Wow that's super shitty. Another company to throw on the "Never buy from" pile.

Haven't played on an official server since launch. Never again as it's WAYYYYY too slow.

This is good for us players on private servers as we're always looking for more traffic.

I am curious, did the dev announce it would be free and then retracted? Or was the remaster being free just a rumor?

I am curious, did the dev announce it would be free and then retracted? Or was the remaster being free just a rumor?
The tweet came from Jeremy Stieglitz, who is a co-founder of developer Studio Wildcard and creative director on Ark. The tweet is still up right now. I screen capped it in my post in case it gets deleted.

Wow that's super shitty. Another company to throw on the "Never buy from" pile.
I guess I see the angst. But I can't help but feel like I have gotten a ton of value out of the thousands of hours I put into the game - a game that I bought for like $30 in Early Access. To have to pre-order ARK 2 for $50 in order to get the UE5 upgrade doesn't bother me. I guess I am part of the problem. I always happily bought DLC because without a monthly fee the game was just an absolute super value.

The tweet came from Jeremy Stieglitz, who is a co-founder of developer Studio Wildcard and creative director on Ark. The tweet is still up right now. I screen capped it in my post in case it gets deleted.
Shit happens I guess.

I'll pay regardless, as many many many others will happily do so too.

Have yet to find a game that I've revisited so often. Have yet to find another game where I consider the best MP experience I've ever had. So many great stories I have from Ark that I just won't ever have a similar experience with any other game.

To me, that's invaluable. As well, I've maybe sunk $40 in total on Ark on PC... That includes all the DLCs over the years and thousands of hours of time spent in it. $50 for a remaster AND Ark2? Absolute no brainer deal IMHO.

I can see why people are upset. I don't like their business practices, in EA yet selling expansion etc. Not to mention how buggy the game still was last time I played it.
Yet I also had a ton of fun in Ark and got my moneys worth. First time taming a rex and the first time loosing that rex due to stupidity were amazing.
Very memorable moments with friends running our own server. I'm on the fence with Ark2. I will not buy it for Ark and I will not buy all the expansions again.
If I can't run a server and I have to pay for mods then chances are I will join the hate crowd.

I wish they were bringing the UE5 upgrade to the regular version. I kind of wanted to get back into it and beat all the PvE quest type stuff because I never did back when I played.
I'm not mad they aren't making it free though. I don't expect an entire engine upgrade from a game I bought 7 years ago. I probably won't buy either it though.

That's good, right? Everyone that is unhappy is now happier with that? Seems like they listened, which is cool.
Opinions seem mixed. Some people are upset that you're no longer getting two games for the price of one, others are happy that they're no longer charging you extra for legacy DLC. I'll give Wildcard the benefit of the doubt an believe that they were in a rough spot, needing to recoup the development cost of the remaster when it became a bigger project than they originally envisioned. On the other hand, they did release their own asset flip in Atlas years ago and charged people $30 for it. I have no dog in this race either way, as I don't play these types of games.

Opinions seem mixed. Some people are upset that you're no longer getting two games for the price of one, others are happy that they're no longer charging you extra for legacy DLC. I'll give Wildcard the benefit of the doubt an believe that they were in a rough spot, needing to recoup the development cost of the remaster when it became a bigger project than they originally envisioned. On the other hand, they did release their own asset flip in Atlas years ago and charged people $30 for it. I have no dog in this race either way, as I don't play these types of games.
you son of a...now we must get you hooked... 👿 lol

Back