ARGHHH (only 2 outta 4 cores running all out)

sharp

[H]ard|Gawd
ARGHH
Windows SMP sucks on my box. File_IO_Errors each and every time I don't load up w/ a fresh install. fine.
Linux VM installed... only dual core support w/ VM? fine.
2nd Linux VM installed... no change in CPU usage? affinities set. no change still? fine.

[H]ard Folders.. please help me fix it. : ( I want this mighty email-checker to pull it's weight around here.

sharp

um...I am not sure. Where are you setting the affinities at? Thru windows or the VM? Also, maybe posting the log info from the windows client would help on diagnosis of that issue.

Where you running the Windozes SMP as a service or did you have the client start from the startup menu ?

I've found that on some overclocked boxen that if you start the SMP client to soon after a Windoze reboot that it will error out +50% of the time.
If you let Windozes finish loading all the drivers etc, etc then start the SMP cient, it then only errors out ~1% of the time.

Also will it start & run stable at stock speeds ?
You overclock might be just a little to high so causing the errors.

Luck ........... :D

Where you running the Windozes SMP as a service or did you have the client start from the startup menu ?

I've found that on some overclocked boxen that if you start the SMP client to soon after a Windoze reboot that it will error out +50% of the time.
If you let Windozes finish loading all the drivers etc, etc then start the SMP cient, it then only errors out ~1% of the time.

Also will it start & run stable at stock speeds ?
You overclock might be just a little to high so causing the errors.

Luck ........... :D

Very true, and allow me to add another find. When you manually shut down the client, especially the SMP version WAIT a few moments for everything to be written to the hard drive. I usually wait until the drive indicator stops flashing, then do the shutdown or reboot.

Luck

TB & Bill, Thank you guys for the suggestions.

Windows SMP is not working for me.. it isn't on startup, it's after a clean install runs a WU, then I can expect File_IO_Error to show up. 1 install, 1 WU, 1 big pain in the )*(#@$. I'd like to run this client, but I'm out of ideas.

Forgot to state, yes, I tried it at stock speeds; no difference. The windows SMP client just hates my box for some reason.

ICE, I set the affinity in windows, should I do that someplace else? Even w/o affinity set, it will only run one of them!?! (50% usage by one of the VMs, and nill by the other).

I'd REALLY like to run at least one Linux VM client.. so if we can get either the other VM client using cycles, or get the File_IO_Error worked out I'd be a happy camper.

I just ran into a rash of File_IO_Errors after I did a fresh install of vista when I was finished finding my overclock. Did you install to the default folder or make your own - like c:/fah ?
I made my own folder to install too. Then I had to go to folder properties and uncheck "read only". So far it has completed 2 WU's without the file_IO_error. I also changed the permissions on the folder to allow everyone everything. Don't know which change fixed it, but it is working now.

Wolff, well, we're on the "clean install" side of the curve so it's running fine right now w/ the "read-only" changes made. I'll be reporting back as soon as it tries to get WU #2.

Thanks guys, sharp

I am not a fan of the WinSMP client. I tried it for a bit but found it did not suit my needs. However, I was running Linux most of the time and just booted into Windows to play some games occasionally. Because of that, it would not meet deadlines so I just put two regular clients back on for my Windows partitions.

I believe after it trashed the first WU from not completing on time, I had trouble with some type of error. Then again, I did have it installed as a service on WinXP. However, manually stopping and restarting it did nothing for me. Since I wasn't using Windows hardly at all, it wasn't worth the trouble for me to mess with it anymore.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the dual VM situation. I only have a dual core so it doesn't do me any good to try and run two VMs. Plus, I would be running Linux VMs from a Linux host so it would not be applicable in your situation. There have been others here who have done the Windows host with two Linux VMs and it seems to work. Hopefully they will poke their heads in here soon.

Got it.
Using the very scientific "take what is everybody else doing and mix it together" approach.

If you want to run dual Linux VM boxen on your Quad... here is what worked for me:

Setup two different VM files (I used Kubuntu and ubuntu) on two different partitions, and do one of the FAH setups as machine ID 1 and the other as 2. Tada. I have no idea (and don't care) which thing was in the way, but that quick fix took care of it. Now both VMs are using 50% of the cpu. (Common sense rules out any of these from impacting the situation... and yet it works now and didn't before).

Here are the guides btw:
To get going with VM: (skip the IIS though, this is only needed for some people on some networks, and for approx. 0 computers at people's homes)
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=435044&highlight=Vmware+smp

To get going with Linux FAH smp:
(you can start with the FAH stuff as you've already setup Linux w/ the link above)
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=431996

Now go do more WU.

...and my machine is still pumping out Linux WU and just finished another 24 of prime w/o error at 3.2 and 1.25 volts... and yet at 2.4 the win smp client dies... whatever. Must be not be CPU related, but ??? if I know what it is (or even care at this stage as two Linux clients are faster than one windows for points even with VM loss).

Hope these help somebody. I know I'm trying to use the linux box more and more just to warm up to it.

sharp

Back