Areca 1880i or LSI 9265-8i?

sphinx99

[H]ard|Gawd
Application: large (20) volume RAID with an expander. Looking for reliable mechanism to capture several simultaneous HD-SDI feeds. 1880i seems tried and tested. 9265 is the new hot stuff but I do not know what expanders it has been tested with. Not business critical (call it home-office work) so how would you lean?

Price is similar between the two.

OS would be 2008 R2 under ESXi if it matters.

Can't say much on the 9265 as I've yet to own one, but I found LSI's management software to be pretty bloody awful. The out-of-band management (ie the ethernet port) can't be beat on the Areca card (and a few Highpoint ones). I don't think trying to capture multiple HD-SDI streams would be a problem for either though, especially if you're only doing 1.5gbit instead of 3gbit.

Well, it is dual link (well a pair of 1.5 channels for stereoscopic processing) plus a third 1.5 feed, but I agree it should be manageable by both cards. OOB is definitely a point to think on.

Mega raid management on LSI is awful! Areca web portal is awesome! I'm looking to ditch 2 dell perc 5i's and LSI 3041e for a 1880ix 24port. so you can probably tell how bad the management software is...

Wow, pretty damning.

So, what exactly makes it so bad? I do not mind the aesthetics of the interface as long as it lets me create volumes, recover, and report on status/health. If these are met, but in an ugly fashion, then I'd still want to decide based on performance (of rebuilds/scans/etc.) and OS supportability and lack of glitchiness.

If on the other hand by "pretty bloody awful" you mean that it doesn't tell me about health issues in the array, then that is something I want to factor in.

The gui on the LSI is very basic. even the dos configuration pages are a bit naff... i.e. basic settings- still give u smart info-but not disk temperatures.

The Areca's have dedicated NIC's for management and the web portal is feature rich. Has full smart, temp, power off hdds to save power, staggered spin up time settings, create raids via web portal+all sorts of other settings...

I had it freezing constantly to the point of being unusable. Being Java based didn't help either.

Blue Fox, with the latest release of the MegaRAID Storage Manager (v8.16.100 ) I don't find anymore that interface is slow or unresponsive anymore.
I like the LSI because my HD monitoring tool (HD Sentinel Pro) can get the SMART status and does the monitoring and aging of the disks.

Back