Are your DESKTOP computers wired or wireless?

Are your DESKTOP computers wired or wireless?

• wired

Votes: 156 90.2%
  • wireless

Votes: 40 23.1%

• Total voters
got 2 wired
1 wireless

wireless is nice when u dont want to spend the time & money to do a run to your router, or if u have a laptop there is no better way to go

They are all wired currently, because the XP Zero Config wireless sucks donkey nuts, and instead of spending 3 weeks trouble shooting I just wired it until I bother to trouble shoot it.

Only thing that gets wireless is the mouse. It's a desktop, you gotta wire everything else anyway, so why the hell put up with wireless networking?

Love my wireless mice though, never going back. :D

Gigabit or bust!

Intel Pro 1000 in all machines, with the file server running 66 MHz PCI.

4 sytems, all wired..... I wired my whole house a few months ago, I have a router connected to a 24 port switch in my attic..... I put drops in every room..

Crosshairs said:
4 sytems, all wired..... I wired my whole house a few months ago, I have a router connected to a 24 port switch in my attic..... I put drops in every room..

Even the bathroom? :D

Wireless for my laptop only when I need it.

Everything else:

2 Servers
Mac G4
Mac Mini
iMac
A64 Gaming rig
A64 Pro Tools rig
3 HTPC clients
Linksys G AP
Laptop

Will be on gigabit for most stuff again once I'm done troubleshooting the pesky HTPC server.

You just can beat the robustness of a wired network IMO. Plus GigE makes me look cool. :D

tdg said:
All wired except for 1 laptop. I would never use wireless for anything other than a mobile unit.

werd.gif
and i work in the wireless industry (which is really just reinforcing my resolve to use wired vs. wireless)..... :D

Komataguri said:
They are all wired currently, because the XP Zero Config wireless sucks donkey nuts, and instead of spending 3 weeks trouble shooting I just wired it until I bother to trouble shoot it.

heh, you'd be surprised how much better the Zero Config utility can be over some of the utilities included by some of the wireless card manufacturers out there......i have to deal with them all the time at work......

My SFF system in my bedroom is wireless. All of my workstations and servers in the basement are wired.

Consumer SOHO Wireless APs have a nasty habit of failing under load when I host everything on them, so I have the wireless clients on a separate subnet off of my main server/router box. My old Dual PIII 550 and Netgear Enterprise 8 port Gigabit switch trucks right along though, regardless of the load :)

DougLite said:
My SFF system in my bedroom is wireless. All of my workstations and servers in the basement are wired.

Consumer SOHO Wireless APs have a nasty habit of failing under load when I host everything on them, so I have the wireless clients on a separate subnet off of my main server/router box. My old Dual PIII 550 and Netgear Enterprise 8 port Gigabit switch trucks right along though, regardless of the load :)

are you still able to have the other computers on the seperate subnet communicate with the rest of your computers with file/printer sharing? if so, please check out This Thread for a problem i am trying to figure out

Crosshairs said:

Komataguri said:
Even the bathroom? :D

If the wife would have let me....Probaly afraid of web cams :)

Back