• After the price goes down

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • Not planning on buying one

Votes: 70 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brom42

2[H]4U
Just a poll to find out when everyone else is going to buy a DS, if you are going to get one at all. I know that I am going to wait until it comes out and I can test one out before I buy one right away or wait until more games come out for it.

Not unless Nintendo makes some more interesting games for it. I have to admit that the Sony PSP is looking mighty good even though its going to be insanely expensive.

Why can't people just do polls like "yes or no" and then you can explain your reason with a reply? :confused:

The Dual screen doesn't appeal to me. i like GBA better. if i have to upgrade to something, I'll go grab Sony PSP.

never. psp maybe but that is still a long shot... i know that it will just end up sitting on my shelf

-warsaw

I said when the price goes down, but I'm really just waiting for initial reviews and such and compare it to the Sony PSP (I don't think I would buy the PSP, but depends). Whichever one has the better games I'll get. In the worst case I'd buy both...

I'll probably pick one up. I haven't owned a portable since the original gameboy. The Dual screens + touch pad look like they'd be amazing for FPS or strategy games. It will be interesting to see how developers take advantage of the dual screens, touch screen, microphone, and wireless capabilities.

I don't go outside enough to justify a portable gaming system.

I'm probably buying one. The price isn't too bad and the concept seems nice. Though I must admit the PSP is much more appealing.

BrunoPuntzJones said:
You left out: When SNES emulators work

:cool:
QFT

But one thing to add: GBA flash cart = teh win :D
I see no pressing need to get another gameboy, since nintendo has reiterated that the DS isn't meant to replace the GBA or be the next-gen portable console. No major increase in technology (graphically) is present, so I'll just stick with mah sechsay SP and wait to see it the PSP is worth it :cool:

I like hand-helds. I am would rather buy a DS than a PSP. I wanna buy a PSP as much as I wanna buy a performance laptop that runs on rachargable AA batteries

SNES games wont play on GBA though even with flascart.

The only ones that work and that i use are: NES, GB, GBC(only a few games), Lynx, Saga master system, GBA, and a few stand alone games

I'm saving up for one now (that and of course a Scott Brown CD :D).

Now that I take the city bus to college and back, I'm in DESPERATE need of a hand-held, since my Neo Geo Pocket Color, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Advance and Gameboy Advance SP are all back at my mom's house with my brother (I now live with my dad), and I can't afford and will never be able to afford an iPod.

I would prefer a DS over a PSP because, first of all, the price. The DS is $149.99, and I'm sure the PSP will be $250 at the very least (if I had to guess, I'd say the launch price will be $300. Yeah that's too much).

Second, I plan on taking this thing around (this implies the need for some good battery life, but I won't get into that issue). That means waiting until the very last minute to leave for the bus and then running around like a mad man getting my stuff together, which involves stuffing the hand-held into my pocket or backpack without thinking twice about whether or not I'm going to scratch it. Now, think of that scenario with a PSP and its huge mega behemoth screen. And I'm sorry but giving something a "scratch-resistant" screen doesn't cut it, experience with electronics has shown me that things get scratched no matter what. The only way I'd protect that thing is with a leather case or something, and I never buy that crap.

And then there's the most important part: the games. Super Mario 64 DS is a launch title, how cool is that!? Then of course Mario Kart will be coming over, as will Metroid, Viewtiful Joe, Animal Crossing, Bomberman, Sonic, Advance Wars DS, FF3 (!!!), and of course first-party Nintendo games will always keep coming. And WarioWare's minigames are going to be EXTREMELY fun with that touch screen. For the PSP, the one main game that I would love to get is Gran Turismo *drool*. Taking Gran Turismo around with me everywhere I go would be very, very cool.

It has no games which interest me. Plus Nintendo has a habit of releasing a better model down the road. Why spend more on the first generation?

iZero said:
It has no games which interest me. Plus Nintendo has a habit of releasing a better model down the road. Why spend more on the first generation?

Maybe I should have put this option on there:

when the NintendoDS SP is released. :D :D

I own both the original GBA and SP. I have to admit that I use both on a regular basis. SP while on the road and the original when hooked up to gamecube.

I haven't owned a portable system since I stole a friend of mines Game Gear for a week in '94. So it looks unlikely of me getting one. However, the concept of the DS is interesting.

Squishead said:
I haven't owned a portable system since I stole a friend of mines Game Gear for a week in '94. So it looks unlikely of me getting one. However, the concept of the DS is interesting.
A game gear for a week. I'm guessing you went through about 50 dollars in batteries.

Bane said:
A game gear for a week. I'm guessing you went through about 50 dollars in batteries.
I gave it back when the batteries died, actually...you know your Game Gears :p

Definitely not getting it, Nintendo has done little to create games that appeal to me so I'll pass. That and I never have any time to play on the damn thing anyway. If I travel I'm the schlub that always has to drive, and even when there's the off chance I'm not driving, my Pickup's big enough I can comfortably use a Laptop in the front seat while jacked into my Inverter.

Everyone is saying that the DS will have less games than the PSP which is not true at all. The DS has larger list of developers currently working on games for it. Also lets not forget that yes Nintendo does have a habit of releasing a better version of their hardware, a la gameboy advanced to SP, but sooo does SONY and all of us will evetually have to buy the upgraded model for SONY why... because their first generation hardware has a nasty little habit of breaking due to cheap moving parts! All of my nintendo first generation hardware still works fine, while I had to eventually get my PS sent to the repair shop about 3 times.

Imagine that you are with your PSP in a car on a bumpy road trying to play it to pass the time and the vibration causes your game to skip or give read errors, because your cheap motor and spindel don't have enough power and juice to keep a fast enough RPM to conserve battery power... NOW THAT IS SONY QUALITY.... Thats is why they are no longer #1 in eletronics and will have to depend more and more on the Play S.T.D.ation (since the consoles die out on us we know they are diseased) name to keep up a profit.

I don't think this will help, but I was hoping this wouldn't happen. Just ignore sanosuke2999's comments and move on. I don't want this to turn into a stupid fight between the DS and the PSP. Not that I can really do anything about it, but if you want to argue DS vs PSP start another thread or add a comment to one of the many others that have already falled victim to this problem. :mad:

Just keep it to when you may buy a DS and why without sensless bashing of the PSP!!

end rant.

brom42 C'mon. I am not a particularly a Nintendo fan-boy, but your are right, I do have my rants against sony. I also have rants about Nintendo. We all know Nintendo has pulled off some great follies. What kinda gets me now is Sony's arrogance, kinda the way ATI got arrogant and careless with current generation cards. With all these super egos different companies get over time, consumers get less and less for their money over time.

Like some ATARI executive once said (when the company was at the top of its game in the early 80's) "We could put horse sh!t in a cartridge and still expect to sell millions."

P.S. sorry if I started a rant :(

Who cares about Nintendo's or Sony's handhelds!? They can't compare to my 10 year old keychain Tetris! :D

Waste of money. I have the GBA and SP, both were a waste of money. Learn from my mistakes. Nintendo's Gamecube is borderline kiddie, but I bought it because there were some nice games for it. Their handhelds cross the line. Go PSP.

Tiny said:
Who cares about Nintendo's or Sony's handhelds!? They can't compare to my 10 year old keychain Tetris! :D

Ahhh, Tetris; by far one of the best games of all time. I still play the tetris cartridge that came with my original GB. I find it funny that people buy Tetris Worlds for their PS2, etc. You really need all that gaming power to play Tetris :rolleyes:

EquaLiZr said:
SNES games wont play on GBA though even with flascart.

The only ones that work and that i use are: NES, GB, GBC(only a few games), Lynx, Saga master system, GBA, and a few stand alone games
I know that the SP can't emulate SNES games - I posted the thing about the flashcart to further boost my argument for keeping my SP and not buying a DS. I quoted to SNES emulation bit to say that SNES emulation would probably be a major selling point for me to buy a DS if I was so inclined.

I guess I didn't really lay that out so well... sorry! :eek:

Bumping this back to the front with the ship date less than 10 days away!!

I'm importing, already got it pre ordered... Never owned a handheld before, but this really got my attention. The state of gaming right now is kind of stale, this looks like it will do something about that. And with it selling out all over the place in pre orders, it shouldn't be too hard to challenge people pretty much anywhere to a dual. Plus with developers reporting the PSP battery life dropping below an hour in some cases, that really put me off.

I will stay with my SP and I already have a PDA. I don't really care for the dual screen \ PDA feature they have added to the DS.

The PSP from Sony looks really cool but it will probably cost way too much.

I guess if I did not already have a GBA I might have to consider one or the other.

I'm importing, already got it pre ordered... Never owned a handheld before, but this really got my attention. The state of gaming right now is kind of stale, this looks like it will do something about that. And with it selling out all over the place in pre orders, it shouldn't be too hard to challenge people pretty much anywhere to a dual. Plus with developers reporting the PSP battery life dropping below an hour in some cases, that really put me off.

Why would you import when the US release is within two weeks?

I've always been a fan of Nintendo handhelds ever since I got a Gameboy way back when. I bought my SP right before being shipped over to Iraq and it has been a faithful companion. I've been playing FF:TA for almost a year!! :D

If there's a game as good as FF:TA out on the DS then I'm sold.

Capt Kirk said:
I've always been a fan of Nintendo handhelds ever since I got a Gameboy way back when. I bought my SP right before being shipped over to Iraq and it has been a faithful companion. I've been playing FF:TA for almost a year!! :D

If there's a game as good as FF:TA out on the DS then I'm sold.

The original FF3/6 is being ported, one of my favorites.

Smiffy said:

I thought that the DS is being released in the US before Japan to go along with the busiest shopping times of the year in each country.

The ship date is 11/20 according to EBgames site. Two days away!

brom42 said:
I thought that the DS is being released in the US before Japan to go along with the busiest shopping times of the year in each country.

The ship date is 11/20 according to EBgames site. Two days away!

It will be in stores on the 21st, yes we are getting the first batch and then I believe Japan is next. I remember this because its the first time this has happened with a Nintendo console (I believe).

Back