Are We Getting the Bandwidth We Pay For?

Z2oTK.jpg

DAMN YOU!!!, You found the link before I did... heh. love that one. :D

Supposedly I'm getting:

My current download on Steam begs to differ. Barely 300kbps.

I pay ~$9 a month for a 10Mbit / 10Mbit connection, it's very stable and nice, and I never had any problems with it since I got it 4.5 years ago. I don't live in the US though, but in Sweden.

I get 1.5Mb of what i pay for out of the 5Mb advertised speed, constantly. at 35 bucks a month.

This up to advertisement is bullllllllshit.

I pay ~$9 a month for a 10Mbit / 10Mbit connection, it's very stable and nice, and I never had any problems with it since I got it 4.5 years ago. I don't live in the US though, but in Sweden.

I pay almost $50 for my comcast 12/2 connection and that requires that I subscribe to their cable service or pay an extra ~$15

I pay for 15 and get between 25-35 so I can't really complain. My old DSL I paid for 3 and got 2... meh

145 Linux distros in one download? :p 90GB torrent, my god... dare I even ask what the hell could be legit other than Linux distros?

Sure, I'm currently in the middle of building a MAME arcade cabinet for my game room. The front end I plan to use is Hyperspin-fe. With this front end, selecting different systems and different game submenues presents an "attract" video and custom graphics. The torrent I grabbed has all Videos and graphics for all currently emulated arcade games.

Since it's only the front end and not the game, it breaks no copyright rules (I guess you could argue that videos of copyrighted materials are copyrighted themselves, but that would be for the court to decide).

Dan

And if it goes down for a week, you MIGHT get a $3 credit from the creepy ISP when you call them.

$40/month, 25Mb/3Mb and we get it 24/7 since our node isn't densely populated.

I pay for 20/2 and don't get throttled for any p2p

980562891.png

Can't complain.

I just checked the Cox site and they have a new Ultimate Tier, 50Mb/5Mb for $90/mo (regularly $110/mo).

Regular Monthly Price $31.99/mo. $45.99/mo. $59.99/mo. $109.99/mo.
Special Offer $19.99/mo. for 3 mos. $34.99/mo. for 24 mos. $44.99/mo. for 24 mos. $89.99/mo. for 24 mos.
Download speeds up to 3 Mbps 15 Mbps 25 Mbps 50 Mbps
Upload speeds up to 768 Kbps 2 Mbps 3 Mbps 5 Mbps

And if it goes down for a week, you MIGHT get a $3 credit from the creepy ISP when you call them.

Just be nice to them. If someones out for a day or 2 and I like them they might get a 5 day credit. If you're down for 2 hours and call me yelling and screaming for a credit I'll give you exact fucking change. I've given someone a dollar credit before, just for being a prick.

I pay $30/month with no contract and no data caps in rural IL through Mediacom. Speedtest is pretty much accurate for me, in that I get basically what it says I should be.

980624336.png

Usually get close to my full 10mb at home with Cox out here in Orange County, CA.
I have 10MB/10MB at the office though Cox, and always seem to get the full speed.

However, on Friday & Saturday nights, I many times have problems streaming Netflix (less than 5mb), even though my local speed checks out & Netflix is supposably ok. Seems to be a bottleneck somewhere on the Cox network that only affects some sites.

Try about 100x that price for a business 10mb/10mb line out here in Kalifornia, USA, and thats after we got a big price drop for last year.

Ye mediacom is pretty legit :) Unfortunetly, it's not available where I live now (I moved about 2 years ago).

I'm on the comcast 12/2 plan and I usually get that, maybe I'm just lucky :)

I just checked the Cox site and they have a new Ultimate Tier, 50Mb/5Mb for $90/mo (regularly $110/mo).

Regular Monthly Price $31.99/mo. $45.99/mo. $59.99/mo. $109.99/mo.
Special Offer $19.99/mo. for 3 mos. $34.99/mo. for 24 mos. $44.99/mo. for 24 mos. $89.99/mo. for 24 mos.
Download speeds up to 3 Mbps 15 Mbps 25 Mbps 50 Mbps
Upload speeds up to 768 Kbps 2 Mbps 3 Mbps 5 Mbps

No Ultimate Tier here in Georgia. Where are you on the map?

At less than $0.03 per GB of bandwidth per month, yes I am! =P

FYI, I doubt it costs them more than $0.01 per GB of bandwidth per month. Server world is somehow... tremendously cheaper than ISPs. o_O

DOCSIS 3.0 is making its way out here slowly. If the pricing is to be believed, I should be able to get a 30Mb/2Mb connection for the same price as my current 7Mb/640kb service.
in your wet dreams

I would switch from a business account (@ $65/mo) to the High Speed Internet 30 residential plan (@ $60/mo). The HS 30 is still cheaper than some of the slower residential plans, especially once you cut out the 12 month promotions:
http://www.cogeco.ca/cable/on/en/residential/internet/hsi/explore_hsi.html

I think Time Warner is monitoring my browsing because after I read all the messages in this thread I ran a speed test and got the highest speed I've ever tested at (just under 9 down) ... usually clocks in anywhere from 4.5 to 6.

(I'm still going to bundle with Vz FiOS when it becomes available, oh omniscient cable monopoly)

I have got to have one of the worst ISPs of the decade.

I'm paying about $55/mo for advertised speeds of 6mb down/1mb up.
the first 2 months of service I was getting about 2mb down then on the 3rd month it just got worse, it went from 1.1mb to about 200kb/s... so I would get a down transfer rate of 30kb/s when downloading a file. Sometimes I would get the occasional burst of 150kb/s-300kb/s transfer rate. Sometimes 56k seems faster too.

I get a lot more than what I pay for from Comcast. I should only get 8 mbps down and 1 mbps up and I actually get around 25/6. And that's not just powerboost speeds, that's consistent download speeds of 3-3.5 Mb/s down and 1 Mb/s up.

Speeds? Since 2006, yes.

Reliability? Been iffy since December 2008.

30/5, $55 a month. Used to be an amazing deal a few years ago. Other providers have been catching up.

The 101/15 speeds were unrivaled in price per month. They may still be..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_Online

i have 20/5 or something, and cox recently lowered my bill to 42.03 a month, because they kept trying to increase it a few bucks every month and i have to keep calling in. so we will see.

Back