• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Are these temps normal for a Q9450?

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Sep 25, 2003
Messages
11,465
I just put together a new system and my temps seem kinda high.

P5Q Deluxe
Q9450 at stock
Thermalight Ultra 120 Extreme w/ washer mod
AS5 Thermal Paste
Antec Tricool at medium
No case right now, just sitting on my desk - open air

Ambient temp: 23.3 C

Idle temps:
  • Core 1: 46
  • Core 2: 48
  • Core 3: 51
  • Core 4: 51

Load temps:
  • Core 1: 57
  • Core 2: 57
  • Core 3: 59
  • Core 4: 61

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1792/tempsatstock01ml0.jpg
 
I think I'm gonna swap in my HR-01 Plus to see how it compares
 
Arctic Silver 5 takes some time to cure. After some usage, the temps will go down a little. Also, is the base of your CPU cooler flat? The Ultra-120 extreme heatsinks are notorious for not being completely flat. If it isn't flat, buy a lapping kit. (www.frozencpu.com and www.svc.com are two good places)
 
You should be seeing low 30s idle, maybe even high 20s. Up to 50 or so under load I guess, based on my system, similar temps, also open air, Noctua NH-U12P.
 
Use real temp for temp monitoring on 45nm chips. You'll see your temps are more in line when you run it.
 
You should be seeing low 30s idle, maybe even high 20s. Up to 50 or so under load I guess, based on my system, similar temps, also open air, Noctua NH-U12P.
are you using a 45nm chip?
what temp program?

Use real temp for temp monitoring on 45nm chips. You'll see your temps are more in line when you run it.
wow, they are about 10 C cooler with Real Temp
is this normal?
 
Those temps are normal for a 45nm chip, assuming you're probably using something calibrated wrong like Coretemp or Speedfan. I think the Q9450 is a 95 TJMax chip, so Realtemp would be more accurate "out of the box".
 
My Q9450 @ 3.2 with 1.25v, using MX-2 and a Zalman 9700 idles at about 38-39c and hits 51-53c under load.

Those temps are taken with RealTemp with a Tjmax of 95 which seems to be the "accepted" Tjmax for the 45nm C2Q's. Other programs like Hardware Monitor give me a reading of about 10c higher because they use a higher Tjmax, 105 I think.

-V
 
well I swapped in the HR-01 Plus and temps are basically the same
I think I'm gonna lap the TRUE and apply some MX-2
 
My Q6600 B3 stepping idles between 38C and 42C under a Tuniq Tower and AS5 with ambient temps around 75F. Seems like they might be a bit high.
 
are you using a 45nm chip?
what temp program?


wow, they are about 10 C cooler with Real Temp
is this normal?

Yes, q9450, sorry. I use real temp, but if you set tjmax to 95 in core temp it works fine.

It's normal, there are explanations around if you're curious why.
 
Back
Top