Are these high temps for an overclocked 2500k?

FireBean

Gawd
This is my very first Intel setup since AMD killed another enthusiast. I know with AMD abd overclocking, 60c is pretty close to the limit of what you want to push...
Here is my Loop and in this order:
XSPC RX360
EK HF Supreme Rev1.
two 6850's on EK HF GPU's
D5 pump in XSPC Bay Res.
3/8"ID tubing, No kinks.

CPU Info:
4.3Ghz
1.260-1.322v (CPU-Z) (Keeps fluctuating!)
Hottest was 64c.... Seems a little toasty for something on water. What do you guys think?
Done with IBT

Last edited:
You're fine up to ~90-100 C, although I would personally not go over 80 C for daily usage.

Completely serious. I believe thermal throttling kicks in somewhere around 105 C or something like that.

Edit: Although, that said, that voltage seems a bit high for that overclock. See if you can lower the voltage. You'll see significantly better temps with lower voltage.

Does seem a little high for your equipment (I'm at 4.5ghz 1.36v and I hit mid 60's on my H50) but then you do have those 6850s on the same loop right?

ya, but they should not be heating up the loop that much. Espeically when they are idle. I guess I got more work with this overclock. It does do 5 Ghz... just need to get it stable. There are just SO many options to this P6Z68-V

I would say you might want to try remounting your block. There are many occasions of improper mounting leading to higher temps, and a remount significantly lowered temps.

Nope. Not toasty although there is certainly plausible reason you can get those lower with some tuning. I cool a 6990 and 3930K @ 4.7 and it rarely hits 55c at full load and this a 130w tdp chip OC'd more like 475watts plus a 450watt 6990.

I've already remounted the damn thing 3 times. Although I'm starting to find out this TIM that I'm using is not good on hot chips. It Promlima Tech PK-1. I think that I'm going to bite the bullet and get one of those Indigo eXtreme pads. According to Skinny Labs, it pretty hard to botch the mounting.

And I think it is a mounting issue. For kick and grins, I decided to pinch one of the line and the temp did not make that much of a difference...

I've already remounted the damn thing 3 times. Although I'm starting to find out this TIM that I'm using is not good on hot chips. It Promlima Tech PK-1. I think that I'm going to bite the bullet and get one of those Indigo eXtreme pads. According to Skinny Labs, it pretty hard to botch the mounting.

I've always wanted to try one of those! Running prime 95 with the pump/case fans turned off does seem like it might be a rush :D (even though thermal throttling would stop any damage...but still!)

Ok, I got some new numbers. Water cooling seems to be finicky some times.

Maximum Stress IBT (16BG of Ram)
[email protected] (touched 1.48v)
hottest core hovers around 78c (touched 83c)

Of course, I'm going to be running intel side stepping and the power saver stuff so it's not at 5Ghz all day. I only need this kind of horsepower when running programs like Cinima4D (since that is what I'm trying to make a living from).

It seams kind of high to me but the voltage may be what is raising it so high. Not sure...

Well, it's not stable at anything lower at that voltage. It'll do 4.7 at 1.35v. I'm thinking of just putting it there and calling it a day.

Back