Are there any reasonably priced per U colocation services for enthusiasts?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
So,

I happen to have a spare 2U server, and I figured I could do something with it, like remote rsync backup, etc.

Seeing that you can rent a dedicated server for less than $15 per month, I figured colocation owuld be CHEAPER, since I am actually providing the hardware.

All I can find however is in the ~$60/month range for a 2u, and it doesn't even come with a usable amount of bandwidth...

Am I missing something, or is colocation really just a racket?

Having worked in the biz, colo costs more than dedicated servers. Colo customers tend to use the resources they pay for.

Those are better than the ones I found, but still excessive in cost compared to a dedicated server, which doesn't make sense to me, as with a dedicated server I am paying for hardware + bandwidth/ip's + electricity + facilities, but with colo I am just paying for bandwidth/ips + electricity + facilities.

It OUGHT to be significantly cheaper to colocate, than to get a dedicated server, based on what you get. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Having worked in the biz, colo costs more than dedicated servers. Colo customers tend to use the resources they pay for.

So, what you are saying is, the price is higher because dedicated server customers tend to just let their hardware idle, whereas colo customers tend to push their hardware?

Oh well.

Got a 2U server sitting in my basement no one seems to want to buy, and I was looking to do something useful with it. Too bad.

Colostore.com is loacted within an hour of me, $70 per month for 2 amps and 100mbit.

I pay $45/MO for a dedicated server in Kansas city, $30 for one in Canada and $28 for one in france. Got my backups covered, lol. All with 100mbit unmetered too.

Renting dedicated servers for me is always cheaper, but not always the best solution. Renting rack space is more secure 99% of the time and you can use physcial routers and physically redundant hardware solutions.

Ive been kicking around renting a 1/4 rack myself.

Last edited:
Colostore.com is loacted within an hour of me, $70 per month for 2 amps and 100mbit.

I pay $45/MO for a dedicated server in Kansas city, $30 for one in Canada and $28 for one in france. Got my backups covered, lol. All with 100mbit unmetered too.

Renting dedicated servers for me is always cheaper, but not always the best solution. Renting rack space is more secure 99% of the time and you can use physcial routers and physically redundant hardware solutions.

Ive been kicking around renting a 1/4 rack myself.

Well, let me know if you want to sublet 2U's and one IP :p

Zarathustra[H];1041234826 said:
So,

I happen to have a spare 2U server, and I figured I could do something with it, like remote rsync backup, etc.

Seeing that you can rent a dedicated server for less than $15 per month, I figured colocation owuld be CHEAPER, since I am actually providing the hardware.

All I can find however is in the ~$60/month range for a 2u, and it doesn't even come with a usable amount of bandwidth...

Am I missing something, or is colocation really just a racket?

how much power do you think a 2U server uses per month? probably more than $15/month

most cheap "dedicated servers" are just virtual machines

and the poster above gets 2A, so that's about 240W... chances are he doesn't have much left

how much power do you think a 2U server uses per month? probably more than $15/month

most cheap "dedicated servers" are just virtual machines

and the poster above gets 2A, so that's about 240W... chances are he doesn't have much left

Most dedicated server most certainly are not vm's. Every dedicated server I've ever had is a true physical box. Most of the time I even have ipmi access.

Most dedicated server most certainly are not vm's. Every dedicated server I've ever had is a true physical box. Most of the time I even have ipmi access.

I don't understand how anyone could do a dedicated server for $15/month... that would pay little more than the power bill

where are you finding dedicated boxes under $50? mine hosted in canada is ~90$ intel quadcore 8GB and 500GB Unmetered 10mbps 4 IPs

I hardly use any of it except cpu mostly for 2VM's.

I don't understand how anyone could do a dedicated server for $15/month... that would pay little more than the power bill

Thats "dedicated", meaning that you get a VM that is entirely yours....on a massively oversold box, with inadequate switching/routing, that is probably in an oversold rack.

where are you finding dedicated boxes under $50? mine hosted in canada is ~90$ intel quadcore 8GB and 500GB Unmetered 10mbps 4 IPs

I hardly use any of it except cpu mostly for 2VM's.

I'm going to guess datashack in Kansas City and soyoustart/ovh in Canada. I pay $59 for a dedicated server at datashack.

Thats "dedicated", meaning that you get a VM that is entirely yours....on a massively oversold box, with inadequate switching/routing, that is probably in an oversold rack.

If you think BIG enough you can make it occur cheaply.

A (4) DL580s with 80 physical core (160 hyper threaded) Oversubscribed 6:1 connected to a high performance SAN. 20Gbe connected

Redundant Dell 8300 switches x(4)

(2) Equalogic Hybrid SANs or equivalent

Each VM 2 cores, 4GB RAM, 200GB storage

1560 dedicated VMs in the rack

$350k for hardware

At $50 a month you can pay off your materials investment in less than 2 years.

I'm going to guess datashack in Kansas City and soyoustart/ovh in Canada. I pay $59 for a dedicated server at datashack.

very nice, i was thinking about dumping my for a VPS cause i don't need as much any more (and save cash) but at those prices.. might just be worth it to keep a dedicated

Its a decent host for the price. Apparently if you get compromised they have been known to just shut off access. I haven't had any down time and the speeds are decent the majority of the time. I use ESXi and run my lab, gaming, and mumble server on it. None of my friends have complained so far.

One place i just thought of is volume drive I've never used them and i've heard mixed reviews. $20/month

Wholesaleinternet in kansas city, OVH in canada and Kimsufi(ovh) in the eu.

I have been very happy with all three services. Bandwidth has been great, and service has been good. I had 1 ticket with WSI for hardware that was solved in just a few mins, just a partially unseated HDD due to relocating the server. Another was another series of servers on the same switch getting a DDOS attack, that took them 10 mins to block and resolve. The DDOS attack was not towards my server, but I was affected with some packet loss and high pings. I haven't had any trouble with OVH at all.

Volumedrive are thieves and have had lots and lots of trouble in the courts. I personally rented a server for $50/mo, never got the server or login details. They then demanded that if I wanted a refund, i needed to log in to my account (that i never got login details for) and ask for a refund. I just did a charge-back on my CC.

Ah good i had been contemplating trying them but i think i'll pass based off of that. Datashack and WSI are almost the same company from what i've seen. I'm going to be losing two of my servers i have colo'd in CA for free and to replace them i've been contemplating a OVH server.

Where can you get a dedicated server for $15/mo? I recently moved my services to a new provider (OVH/Soyoustart) and went from $100/mo for a core2duo, 4GB ram, 320GB hdd box to $50/mo for a quad xeon, 32GB ram, 2TB hdd and I thought that was a steal. Seems most places charge well over $100/mo as soon as you go to hardware that's half decently up to date. Heck my old provider (Carat Networks) is still asking $70-$100/mo for core2duo boxes lol.

Though if that 2U server is decent why not use it as a home server for something at home? Wont cost you a dime and you'll get gigabit access to it. :D

Back