Are Rosewill stable/reliable?

crazian

n00b
Hello everyone, I'm definitely building a gaming system as soon as HD 5870 goes down on price when GTX 480 become available.

I've been stuck at Newegg on which power supply to pick from, because I've had some bad experiences with power supplies.
I've pretty much read though everything on the customer feedbacks among most of the Rosewill's power supplies, which, all of them have "4 eggs" so there's something going on with the brand.
I've read really bad ones like the unit dies after a week/fried/etc (even though I disregard DOA the rate was much higher compared to say corsair or thermaltake)

Are there anyone here who used Rosewill's power supplies for awhile and had absolutely no problems, or have anyone heard/seen lots of rumors regarding its reliability?
Thanks so much for the help :)

BTW My system is going to be:
Core i7 920 OC myself
6GB DDR3 1600 G.Skill PI series (with huge heatsink)
ASUS X58 mobo with SATA3 & USB3 (currently the only one avail from ASUS)
HD 5870
Cooler Master HAF 922 Case
Corsair H50 hydro
??? power supply?????

You're gonna buy all that high end expensive stuff and hook it up to a value PSU? A Corsair 650 or 750 won't run you THAT much more.

They are pretty good PSU's. I've used them in the past and there higher end units are really nice. I hear that the higher end ones are actually re-branded Seasonic's, or they use the same parts as Seasonic.

Anyway, got this one for a buddy of mine a few months ago:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182186

And when I put this in his system I was impressed by the shear quality of the PSU. Runs really well, I have no complaints and has been running great and my buddy is the kinda guy who keeps his system on 24/7.

I'll vouch for Rosewill, Great PSU's and Surprisingly nice cases.....They're kind of like a poor man's Antec.... or like Hyundai is to Honda....Great Quality...but cheaper.

Can i buy drugs from you.

No really, rosewill is just rebranded crap. Pick up a corsair on sale, or one of the recertified silencer for 70 bucks over in the hot deals thread.

I have to agree with the posters here...will a Rosewill power your system? Sure. Will it do it efficiently? Most likely, see no reason why not. Is it smart putting a ~$100 PSU in a $1000+ system? Not so much...

Id say go Corsair or Silverstone (my personal choice!).

I've pretty much read though everything on the customer feedbacks among most of the Rosewill's power supplies, which, all of them have "4 eggs" so there's something going on with the brand.
Not an indication at all of the PSU's quality. Apevia PSUs have four eggs. However it's been proven time and time again that Apevia PSUs are pieces of shit:
Apevia ATX-AS500W-BL
Apevia Warlock Power 900W
XQPack's Included 420W PSU
Aspire Beast 680W Power Supply

So those stars are not a good metric of PSU reliability or quality.

Anyway, regarding Rosewill PSUs, they vary quite a bit in quality as Rosewill sources several different OEMs for their PSUs. And even the PSUs from the same OEM vary in quality. Case in point: The ever so popular Rosewill RP500-2 compared to the Rosewill Xtreme Series:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/02/16/entry_level_power_supply_roundup/8
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=60

Both PSUs were made by the same OEM, ATNG, but vary greatly in quality. The RP500-2 died under proper testing while the Xtreme series did ok.

Now, regarding specificallly the $100 Rosewill RBR750-M 750W that Rauelius posted. There are issues with that PSU:
- Look at the +12V rail. Only 54A on the +12V rail. Far lower than the $110 Corsair 750TX 750W as well as many quality 750W PSUs with 60A on the +12V rail.
- Before someone say this, yes that Rosewill PSU is a modular PSU. However, still not a good choice considering that you can get the XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W with 52A on the +12V rail for the exact same price. Unlike the Rosewill however, the XFX PSU has been confirmed to be of good quality, despite a minor issue, and more than capable of providing its rated power. Is it really worth going with a PSU of unknown confirmed quality just for 2A more on the +12V rail? I think not.
- And again, before someone points this out: No 80Plus certification does not mean a PSU is at least of decent quality as 80PLus only tests their PSUs at room temperature and does not account or watch out for out of spec ripple. So an 80Plus certification does not indicate quality by itself.
- So considering the above point, there's not much reason to get that Rosewill PSU considering that confirmed quality PSUs that offers the same or more power on the +12V rail costs about the same.

So basically, spend the extra bit of cash for a quality PSU from Corsair or the XFX PSU I talked about.

Its my understanding that Rosewill is simply newegg's house brand.

Corsair, BFG, PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, Thermaltake. Only real names thses days to consider for PSUs IMO.

If you buy a friggen rosewill to power your rig..... Seriously, prepare for the possibility to see magic smoke. At best you'll have some great random restart experiences.

I was running in my VERY first build ever a 500w Rosewill PSU that came free in my rosewill TU-155 case. all it had was a S754 A64 2800+, 1 GB Corsair value memory, a radeon 9600 256mb, and 2 hard drives. under full load in BF:V and every other game I played with that POS Id get random restarts.

I popped in an enermax PSU of same wattage and like magic, I had a rock solid system.

but hey if you want to skimp, by all means that's your decision to make. It would be my recommendation to you, to use the PSU review section of hardocp.com to help you determin a PSU for your build.

The power supply should be the highest quality component in your system, hands down. Why would you spend all that loot on a new system and trust it to a cheap power supply? That's like letting a hobo hold your wallet while you go to the bathroom to take a piss.

Corsair, BFG, PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, Thermaltake. Only real names thses days to consider for PSUs IMO.

ebeattie: You left out a number of decent PSU manufacturers, like Antec, XFX, Enermax, Sliverstone etc. You're correct...Don't Skimp out on a PSU!

A Rosewill PSU is great for a system that runs you between $500-$650. Basically a budget PC build, where you need a little more juice than an el cheapo PSU. But I wouldn't buy one for the rig you listed, like others have said, why cheap out on the power supply when you're not cheaping out on anything else.

I had a Rosewill PSU. Was working fine and stable for about 2.5 years. Then the caps of the 5V circuits started to leak. Rosewill is using cheap caps on the 5V and 3.3V circuits.
Im using a Corsair for my main rig now.

It's simply not worth the risk to get a Rosewill PSU when there are guaranteed good brands out there. Period.

@OP

Well from my perspective, it all depends on the situation. For something like a 6 year old PC running a Celeron D, and using only 250W of power (onboard graphics, 1Gb of RAM, single core), which probably only could be sold for $100 on Craigslist at most, buying an expensive PSU is not worth it and a Rosewill is ok. Even then, I probably would buy a FSP based PSU (like FSP, Sparkle, low end Silverstone Strider, OCZ) before I buy Rosewill.

However, you are building a high end gamer. For that, I would not even let a Rosewill PSU get within 10ft of the unit. For such a system, I would choose a gold rated PSU reviewed by [H].

Why build a fancy house on a poor foundation?

Damn, that's a lot of replies lol.
anyway thanks for all the help, I think it makes sense and I'll go for Thermaltake or Corsair.
The only reason I'm thinking about PSU savings is because my budget is capped at $1800, like absolute cap.
So I was wrestling around on the edge like 10 bucks over the limit or so, but I think I can't go whatever on PSU so I'll get a decent one.
thanks again for all the help! :)

maybe you can find a refurb Cooler Master HAF 922 Case
i see new silverstone 750 at newegg for 140 shipped that looked really bad ass (almost 90% efficiency) , i bought a few hx750 for 110 shipped that where used for one month (i prefer used to DOA) also Asus mobo wouldnt be my top pick but maybe they are fine now

Back