Are Movie Tickets Still Worth It?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Are movie tickets still worth it when you can subscribe to Netflix for the price of one movie?

The average price of a single U.S. movie ticket crept up to $7.89 last year, according to the latest figures the country's theater owners—almost the same price as a month's worth of all-you-can-eat video streaming on Netflix.

Some things you have to see on the big screen. Of course by that I mean my projection theater setup.

Movie theaters suck. Well, mostly the people there suck. I don't want to hear people eat popcorn, have their cell phones ringing, talking, etc.

There are very few movies I feel like going to a theater for anymore.

I've seen far fewer movies in theaters in the last couple years than I used to back in, say, high school. My buddies and I go to a drive in for $6 and see a double feature more often. I did see Tron and True Grit in a theater, but I think most movies translate fine to a home theater. It doesn't help theaters that around here tickets start at $10 and go up to as much as $15 for 3D.

Studio Movie Grill Saturday first showing $5.50 tickets plus relatively reasonably priced tasty food brought to me in my own swivel comfy chair = good stuff

The wife has a back injury and their chairs are comfortable enough for her. During the first showing on a Saturday the theater is typically half-empty (that's pretty much true for any theater in this are). Its a good time and a nice way to see a good flick. I still only go 2-3 times a year when a movie I HAVE to see in the theater rather than on my home set up is released.

No and let me tell you why

1. Built in defects, to discover piracy, I see it all the time and it annoys me.
2. No fresh popcorn, I want to come in smell it and have it make me HUNGRY, not to mention the prices of concessions, for that price I will ask a local place to deliver to me IN the theater and I'll pay for the admittance ticket!
3. 3D BS, I don't care for it, Real3D has been better to me that most other techologies but the forced perspective still hurts my eyes some times, the last movie I saw the 3D previews made me think I wouldn't be able to watch the movie. Oh and if your theater has early morning prices, guess what, they aren't going to show the Non-3D movie until after prices go up if its new or doing well.

I could go on but that sums it up.

Not with the bedbug problem in movie theaters here in NYC. Ick. I haven't been to a movie theater in 4 years from fear of picking them up.

I go to the movies about 4 times a year, the price isn't what stops me from going more often. I don't buy concessions either, since I'm not a fatass. There are just certain movies that NEED to be seen on a bigger than 47" screen.

the selectionon available movies thru netflix is pretty poor for streaming,until the new movies are available as soon as the dvds are streaming is not going toreplace either dvd or movies inthe theatre. There are very few of the new dvd releases available via streaming, there are very few of any newer movies period.,

Where can you get tickets for under $8?! Everything here is over $11, not to mention if you were going to go see a POS 3D movie on the weekend in IMAX (even the fake rebranded IMAX) then its more like $20. Greedy bastards is right. Netflix and even Blockbuster FTW. Much better deals, and I don't have to sit through people yelling at the screen or talking on their dang phones.

I tend to just hold out for Blu-Ray on movies I want to see.
I'm just not a fan of the whole experience. I don't like being packed in with a bunch of other people being forced to eat/drink only what's sold there. Want to get up to head to the restroom? You're going to miss something. What are all of those lights everywhere? The hundreds of kids texting their friends since they're only in the movie to kill time. That doesn't even get into anyone who feels they have to talk throughout the movie.
The only good theater experiences I've had lately have been at the semi-trendy upscale theaters with bars, larger seats, but the upcharge is always steep. Plus, even in those I tend to avoid anything short of "R" just to cut down on the rampant teen texting.
I'd rather just wait most of the time. I'll see my 1-2 movies a year and that's enough.

Where can you get tickets for under $8?! Everything here is over $11, not to mention if you were going to go see a POS 3D movie on the weekend in IMAX (even the fake rebranded IMAX) then its more like $20. Greedy bastards is right. Netflix and even Blockbuster FTW. Much better deals, and I don't have to sit through people yelling at the screen or talking on their dang phones.

We have morning matinees at $6, afternoon matinees till 4 at $9, and then the regular evening price of $11 (lol). I mean, I had no problems seeing the evening showings for TDK...but apart from a blockbuster, I could wait for the morning showings. I.e. I watched True Grit in the am for $6. Not bad, considering alot of the audience was older and it really cuts down on kids texting. Mind you I'm talking one of the bigger theaters in the area, so whenever I don't see a kid texting it's a big deal to me.

There are very few movies I feel like going to a theater for anymore.

This. And with a kick ass 65" tv and surround sound why spend the money.

The only movies worth seeing in the movies are those with over the top visual effects. IMO

By the time you get tickets and other goodies it's best to stay at home with a case of beer.

In Canada ticket prices are upwards of $15, no that does not come with a meal.

I rarely ever find myself wanting to go to the movies. Sometimes I do, but the price is fucking unacceptable.

Hardly any movies these days are even worth watching for free and I'm not even talking about $12-13 per ticket here in MD. I was given two tickets for New Years and I still haven't found anything worth watching. The industry is in a pretty sad state as far as I'm concerned...and these bastards are still raising ticket prices from time to time. I find myself watching more and more Blu-Ray and DVD on my 55" tv and have a much more enjoyable experience than going to a movie theater.

Hardly any movies these days are even worth watching for free and I'm not even talking about $12-13 per ticket here in MD. I was given two tickets for New Years and I still haven't found anything worth watching. The industry is in a pretty sad state as far as I'm concerned...and these bastards are still raising ticket prices from time to time. I find myself watching more and more Blu-Ray and DVD on my 55" tv and have a much more enjoyable experience than going to a movie theater.

Hmm I am curious what theater you are referring to. I'm from MD, so I thought my prices were fairly normal. Seriously - what kind of theater charges $13? That's the price of a 3D ticket.

I have to start out by saying that I haven't been to a movie in the theaters for about 4 years. I went one more time to give it a last try and of course, the kids, slurping, sticky feet were there and I had enough.

I watch movies solely now but that is because Netflix is running in the background all the time. But I only truly watch one movie a week or so. I don't blame the theaters as much as I do the movie industry for putting out crap to where I will put it on the background now and only make time for late release Netflix dvd's.

absolutly... I still go to the movies for the same reason that I'll pay 3.50 for a beer at the bar or $40.00 for dinner at a steak house. It's a nice to get out of the house, socialize, enjoy some snacks and catch a movie.

I don't go too often anymore, maybe a few times a year, but I still enjoy going. Besides, the IMAX screen, sound system and 3D capabilities (for those that aren't on the anti-3D bandwagon) are much better than the consumer level hardware I have at home.

I only go to a handful of movies anymore. I'm in the DC Metro area and TRON Legacy was $16.50 a ticket and 3D only near me. I passed on that and I will probably pass on quite a few this upcoming summer if their prices are like that.

3D needs to die. It's stupid especially when only the shabby theaters get the non-3D versions. I've seen two movies in 3D (Avatar and Alice in Wonderland) and 3D didn't add shit to the movie. 3D just isn't worth the price premium and the eye strain.

We took the kids to see Tangled on Saturday. (fantastic movie, BTW) Hit a morning showing, so we only paid $5 per ticket. The kids loved it, and there were only a handful of other people in the theater.

So it's fun to go occasionally. But only for a few special movies. I can't see myself ever paying to see a romance or comedy movie in a theater, and only an occasional action/adventure movie. (Romance movies are always the same story, just with slightly different scenery and a different cast.)

So, for Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, or anything Pixar I'll definitely spring the cash. As a rule of thumb, any movie that includes a comedian or someone who used to be in a sitcom (I'm looking at you, cast of Friends)...well, you'd have to pay me to sit through it.

I only go to a handful of movies anymore. I'm in the DC Metro area and TRON Legacy was $16.50 a ticket and 3D only near me. I passed on that and I will probably pass on quite a few this upcoming summer if their prices are like that.

3D needs to die. It's stupid especially when only the shabby theaters get the non-3D versions. I've seen two movies in 3D (Avatar and Alice in Wonderland) and 3D didn't add shit to the movie. 3D just isn't worth the price premium and the eye strain.

your local theatre doesn't run 3D and non-3D versions of the same movie simultaneously? All of our local Regal theatres show both versions.

I can understand why that would be annying to someone who didn't care for it.

We haven't seen a movie in over 2 years. We just hate going. It is expensive, and it is annoying because there are ALWAYS people that will just be dicks with talking, and phones during the film and the theaters don't do shit as they don't want to piss off some crazy person and get killed.

We just wait to till netflix as it anymore.

we also won't do 3d or Imax cause I'll get MAD motion sickness and have to leave the movie anyway or vomit or both.

I'm actually not a fan of Netflix. Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer to watch something I own.

I can drive out to the movie theater and spend $12 for a one-time viewing. The snack bar is filled with $5 bottled water and overpriced junk food I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole even if it was free. I can either accept being gouged for their water, relegate myself to leaving the theater to get a drink from the filthy fountain, or try to smuggle something in since you're not officially allowed to bring in food or drink of your own.

I can't pause the movie if I have to go to the bathroom and the bathrooms are usually unclean. I'm forced to sit through the previews. There's nothing I can do about the kids who won't shut up about whatever stupid crap their "BFF" just posted on Facebook or the guy behind me making out with his popcorn. Oh, and the volume is loud enough to register on the Richter scale, so there's a good chance I'll leave with a headache.

Or I can buy a Blu-Ray movie for the same price which I'll get to keep and watch again whenever I want. There are extras that weren't available in the theater. I can eat whatever healthy food I want and there's plenty of clean water to go around. I can pause whenever I want and nobody else is around to bug me. I can skip the previews. I can even adjust the volume to a reasonable level.

Gee, tough decision.

I can either accept being gouged for their water, relegate myself to leaving the theater to get a drink from the filthy fountain, or try to smuggle something in since you're not officially allowed to bring in food or drink of your own.

nonsense. I take bottled water into the movies with me everytime I go. You do get some dirty looks, especially from managment, but they really can't tell you 'no' (unless they want to lose a sale/multiple sales)

The only movies I see at a theater anymore is when we go to the Drive-In. 2 movies for 6 bucks a person and the concessions are cheap.

your local theatre doesn't run 3D and non-3D versions of the same movie simultaneously? All of our local Regal theatres show both versions.

I can understand why that would be annying to someone who didn't care for it.

I'm 3 minutes from the best theater in the area. In the past they always had a 3D and non-3D version. This time though no non-3D. I even called them thinking it had to be wrong on the Internet and gave the manager the riot act after confirmed no non-3D. I would have had to drive 30 minutes out of my way to go to a theater (been there before and it sucks) that had the non-3D version.

Are we really comparing Netflix to first run movies... piss poor journalism.

Many people don't care about it being first run. They have no problem waiting 6 months for it to hit BR/DVD/Netflix.

I haven't given a shit about not seeing Tron Legacy yet. Probably won't bother seeing it either just because I was so jilted over the non-3D and $16.50 cost bullshit. Sure Disney won't miss my $16.50 but it sure makes me feel better. :p

I fall asleep everytime I go to the movie theater, so I haven't been in quite sometime. I prefer movies at home so when I doze off I can rewind it.

Seriously it usually takes me 3 sittings to watch a complete movie.

Nah.

At a theater you have to deal with:
►High ticket prices. Entry for a family of four is around the $35 mark, for a night out with the Mrs. $18ish. While not really high it adds up.
►High prices on snack food.
►Annoying people with their cell phones, talking etc.
►Ads before the film

On top of that my HT system at home has far superior sound. For my entertainment dollar, I'd rather watch a couple movies at home and take the money I would have spent at the theater on going out to a nice dinner or whatnot instead.

I guess I am in the minority, but now because my kids are old enough to stay at home, my wife and I have gone to more movies together in the past 6 months than we have in the last 6 years. I still take the kids to animated movies (which I happen to enjoy as well), though I can't afford to see all of them.

I do try to watch the non-3D version of a movie if I can, because of the outrageous surcharge.

My family still watches plenty of Netflix at home, but there is still something special about seeing a first run movie in the theaters.

Back