Are Intel, AMD Six-Core Chips Worth It?

Every time manufactures add cores to their design, 1 to 2, 2 to 4, 4 to 6, a lot of people bring how no program can make use of them all. However, how many people honestly only run one thing at a time? If today's apps only make use of two cores they seem to think you're ok with an i3 or x2, but what happens when you've got three of those apps running at the same time?

Besides, with the current Turbo modes it's almost a moot point. If you're not using a core, it shuts down so the others speed up. Perfect. :D

I wouldn't say it's best for everyone, we don't all do the same thing on our computers

I don't have a use for a six core cpu right now, personally.

call me old school but Im with bigger caches and higher clockspeeds... and just 2 cores. Gamer CPU anyone?

Thats just not the case anymore. I just saw Wizzard at TPU complaining about Civ V's performance on his e8400. Thats just one example. Quad cores are very useful for gaming. That isn't 2008 anymore.

I think we need faster and cheaper SSDs before we need more than 4 cores for most people

I think 6 cores is a bit overkill for a general home pc. A friend of mine just built an i7 system for his mom who will never use it for anything but email, browsing the internet and peggle.

Back