Are Blu ray Drives worth the buy?

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
So i have been stock-piling Blu-ray movies/tvshows/bundles etc that have been GREAT deals on amazon. I plan on buying a PS3 once the newest chipset is released (which is soon), but i dont want the ONLY place i can watch blu-ray to be that one HDTV. So i have considered a Blu-ray drive...but they seem to have issues.
(This is what i hear): Certain drives play some movies fine but have issues with other movies, finding a drive that has good software to play the blu-rays (apparently it uses a codec that VLC and WMP doesnt use?), and etc etc

So my question to you is, are there any GREAT blu-ray player drives out there? That have software with it (or if you know of software that plays blu-rays amazingly well).

PS I realize blu-ray wont look AMAZING on my 20inch Viewsonic LCD, but its not about the quality per say when watching on the PC, its about being able to watch the blu-rays i own on something other than my HDTV, and who knows maybe in the future i will put the drive in a HTPC or replace my monitor with a HD1080P monitor.

Last edited:
What new PS3 chipset? After the Slim I'm not sure there'll be a major revision any time soon. I haven't heard any rumours at least...

Anyway, Blu-Ray can use a number of codecs for video/audio, including AVC (h.264), VC-1 (MSFT WMV-based) and MPEG2. These are all supported by players/codecs on PCs.

What new PS3 chipset? After the Slim I'm not sure there'll be a major revision any time soon. I haven't heard any rumours at least...

Anyway, Blu-Ray can use a number of codecs for video/audio, including AVC (h.264), VC-1 (MSFT WMV-based) and MPEG2. These are all supported by players/codecs on PCs.

So its not that they arent able to WATCH the blu-rays on the PC (with programs like WMP and VLC player) but they are wanting the software cause they want to BURN blu-rays? And software that burns blu-rays is the hard to come buy thing? (good software that recieves updates)

Its not a big change, its just a small chipset change ( http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/11/new-ps3-models-outed-by-fcc-just-days-ahead-of-e3/ )

With this being a possible rumor as well: ( http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/06/white-ps3-slim-hits-japan-july-29th-with-160gb-and-320gb-options/ )

EDIT: Why then when reading reviews on Blu-ray drives do they talk about needing software to play the blu-rays that it doesnt come with it....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...055&cm_re=bluray_drive-_-27-249-055-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...046&cm_re=bluray_drive-_-27-140-046-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...326&cm_re=bluray_drive-_-27-106-326-_-Product

You need software to play dvd's also. Just br is newer and not as many options yet.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

You need software to play dvd's also. Just br is newer and not as many options yet.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Ok good to know, what are some good options? Paid and free if you know of any? BTW if you have a blu ray drive and love it (or software for blu-ray) id love a link if you got one.

Thats deffinitly a paid version, but it looks widely loved. Does anyone know any good free versions?

Not that I know of. The free versions either limit you to a set number of uses or have significantly stripped down features. And some of the free versions (but not all) can degrade image quality so that it can actually look worse than standard-defimition DVD.

Not that I know of. The free versions either limit you to a set number of uses or have significantly stripped down features. And some of the free versions (but not all) can degrade image quality so that it can actually look worse than standard-defimition DVD.

Wow thats lame, but good to know. Why in the world hasn't Windows added blu-ray support on their programs like WMP and stuff? Thats suprising, why wouldnt they?

Wow thats lame, but good to know. Why in the world hasn't Windows added blu-ray support on their programs like WMP and stuff? Thats suprising, why wouldnt they?

Think about it: Who was the primary developer of Blu-ray? What was the rival format to Blu-ray? Who was pushing that rival format? Who lost that format war?

Think about it: Who was the primary developer of Blu-ray? What was the rival format to Blu-ray? Who was pushing that rival format? Who lost that format war?

All true, didnt think of that. Lame though, and sad they havent by now gotten over it, accepted blu-ray is THEE hi-def media form and for their Windows users, add support for it.

Btw i bought this:
HP BD240I Blu Ray Combo Drive - Reads 8x BD, BD-ROM, BD-R/RE, 4x BD DL, Writes 16x DVD+/-R, 8x DVD+/-R DL, 8x DVDRW, 12x DVDRAM

All true, didnt think of that. Lame though, and sad they havent by now gotten over it, accepted blu-ray is THEE hi-def media form and for their Windows users, add support for it.

But Microsoft would have to buy a license from Sony to do this and I bet it wouldn't be cheap. Plus it's not like any other OS even supports playback straight from encrypted discs AT ALL.

Another +1 for TMT3, it's what I use but it can be temperamental. Make sure the drive is compatible with it.

It is much cheaper and better to buy a blu-ray player than a drive for a pc. If you look for deals you can get a blu-ray player for around $70, I got mine for that at amazon. You don't need to worry about software or updates if your pc can handle bluray. It is much simpler and cheaper usually also. Cheapest blu-ray drive on newegg is like $50, than you need software, thats like another $50.

It is much cheaper and better to buy a blu-ray player than a drive for a pc. If you look for deals you can get a blu-ray player for around $70, I got mine for that at amazon. You don't need to worry about software or updates if your pc can handle bluray. It is much simpler and cheaper usually also. Cheapest blu-ray drive on newegg is like $50, than you need software, thats like another $50.

True but im getting a PS3 in a month or two, so having a blu-ray player and a PS3 would be resplendent.

But Microsoft would have to buy a license from Sony to do this and I bet it wouldn't be cheap. Plus it's not like any other OS even supports playback straight from encrypted discs AT ALL.

Another +1 for TMT3, it's what I use but it can be temperamental. Make sure the drive is compatible with it.

How do i figure out if my drive is compatible?

BTW do you know how the installing/licensing works? Can it only be installed on one PC at a time, or a few? If installed to one PC, then uninstalled can it be installed to a new PC? etc

Until the next Blu-ray standard update requiring features your stand-alone player doesn't have. The PS3 is still the best stand-alone player for Blu-ray content, as it's basically a PC. While others have to buy new 3D-enabled Blu-ray players, The PS3 just requires a firmware update. The same is true for PC BD drives.

Until the next Blu-ray standard update requiring features your stand-alone player doesn't have. The PS3 is still the best stand-alone player for Blu-ray content, as it's basically a PC. While others have to buy new 3D-enabled Blu-ray players, The PS3 just requires a firmware update. The same is true for PC BD drives.

The ps3 is quite good, but pc drives still need software, most of the makers usually just come out with a new version wanting you to upgrade to the newest version for newest features ($60 for an upgrade) so they still aren't great.

The ps3 is quite good, but pc drives still need software, most of the makers usually just come out with a new version wanting you to upgrade to the newest version for newest features ($60 for an upgrade) so they still aren't great.

The PS3 is being marketed as a console slash BD player, so it makes sense that it would have a more well-rounded solution for the latter :)

I agree that playing BD movies on PC is still a bit of a kludge. Personally I think it's probably easier to buy the disc, then download a good BD rip and view that ;)

So my question to you is, are there any GREAT blu-ray player drives out there? That have software with it (or if you know of software that plays blu-rays amazingly well).

I have no 1st hand experience, but this seems like a hell of a deal with the included extras

That's news to me. Got a source for that?

Lol dont feel like going threw engadget again but it was on every tech website, It isnt some huge thing, its just a chipset refresh. It was leaked a few days before E3.

I have no 1st hand experience, but this seems like a hell of a deal with the included extras

Hey thanks but i already bought one like i mentioned earlier. I saw that one, reason i didnt get it is its a commercial version, so you cant get any updates for it unless your a company or something. But ty.

Once I get a 120hz monitor and start gaming in 3D, I plan to get a blu-ray drive and buy some movies in the 3D format.

Huh? PS3 will never play 3D Blu-ray because it requires HDMI 1.4 and the PS3 is HDMI 1.3.

But your PC recommendation is true - you'll be able to view newer standards such as 3D as long as your video card is capable of it, such as Geforces that are 3D Vision spec'd - http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-main.html

Another vote for Total Media Theater 3. Arcsoft has been phenomenonal about keeping it up to date that newer movies will always play at launch so far. The seamless Windows Media Center integration and Blu-ray folder rip support as well as ISO and MKV support are great bonuses.

Huh? PS3 will never play 3D Blu-ray because it requires HDMI 1.4 and the PS3 is HDMI 1.3.

Sony announced a while back that the PS3 will be able to play 3D movies. I haven't seen anything say they wouldn't. Besides -- 1.4 is a nice update from 1.3, but I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work on something like a PS3. It would be just another excuse for people to buy one...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1095960p1.html
Sony also said 3D Blu-ray movie playback is coming to the PS3 this year through a new firmware update.

Sony announced a while back that the PS3 will be able to play 3D movies. I haven't seen anything say they wouldn't. Besides -- 1.4 is a nice update from 1.3, but I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work on something like a PS3. It would be just another excuse for people to buy one...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1095960p1.html

If they say so. They also said we could install Linux on it. The poor suckers who bought it just for that. lol

True but heres quoted from Engadget article: "We're also seeing a pair of PS3 DECH-2500A and DECH-S2500A debugging stations -- interesting since a debug unit is typically only required when there's been a change in the chips on the motherboard."
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/11/new-ps3-models-outed-by-fcc-just-days-ahead-of-e3/

But your PC recommendation is true - you'll be able to view newer standards such as 3D as long as your video card is capable of it, such as Geforces that are 3D Vision spec'd - http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-main.html

Another vote for Total Media Theater 3. Arcsoft has been phenomenonal about keeping it up to date that newer movies will always play at launch so far. The seamless Windows Media Center integration and Blu-ray folder rip support as well as ISO and MKV support are great bonuses.

Just so you know, i read that the PS3 can do 3D with its HDMI 1.3, but that its not true 3D, and that they would need HDMI 1.4 for true real 3D.

Awesome, its hard right now to buy that software considering my installed PowerDVD8 played my movie just fine for free, but if i run into issues with the PowerDVD8, maybe i'll be more inclined. Btw does anyone know how many installs of TMT3 you get? Or if when you un-install you get the Key back to re-use?

Well i got the Bluray drive today, put it into my HTPC, and installed the PowerDVD8 software, after a update than a patch on the software (took forever), it played the new Star Trek Bluray amazingly. Very gorgeous, though i noticed a regular DVD is probably 40% clarity, DVD on Xbox 360 (w/ HDMI) is 85% and Blu-ray is 100%, granted take into account that my TV is 32 inches, therefore i assume that i would see a MAJOR improvement from DVD (360 w/ HDMI) to blu-ray if my TV was around...47inches or more.

EDIT: Btw are there any programs that Rip Blu-rays like DVD shrink rips DVD's?

AnyDVD HD. It is a MUST buy for anyone who buys movies on discs, DVD9 & BD. Period.

So if i wanted to Rip my copy of Star Trek thats a blu-ray movie (for clips, which now with the new Millennium Act is legal) , to say a ISO that i can then play with....idk some program, im guessing VLC cant play that codec, idk what would, but anyways...it will rip from the Bluray disc to my Hard drive just like DVD Shrink?

DVDFab7 for Blu-ray works well too ripping Blu-ray. I have all of my Blu-ray ripped into folder structure format with only the main movie, DTS-HD Master or TrueHD, and English subtitles ripped. TMT3 plays ripped folder without a hitch, and MediaBrowser now supports Blu-ray folder structure just like DVD's.

DVDFab7 for Blu-ray works well too ripping Blu-ray. I have all of my Blu-ray ripped into folder structure format with only the main movie, DTS-HD Master or TrueHD, and English subtitles ripped. TMT3 plays ripped folder without a hitch, and MediaBrowser now supports Blu-ray folder structure just like DVD's.

Im guessing you are talking about DVD-Fab Bluray-to-Bluray version?

I never understood the folder structure, i have no idea how to play all those folders into being one movie...hence i do ISO format. Just double click on the ISO, opens VLC and im watching the movie.

As plenty of others have said, get TMT3 and AnyDVD. They are simply the best out there with great support and I've never heard ANYONE complain about these apps, at least to the point of not getting an issue resolved because of the great support. They cost a little bit of money but you won't regreat it if you have discs.

Im guessing you are talking about DVD-Fab Bluray-to-Bluray version?

I never understood the folder structure, i have no idea how to play all those folders into being one movie...hence i do ISO format. Just double click on the ISO, opens VLC and im watching the movie.

VLC for Windows doesn't support hardware acceleration. I would use MPC-HC if I were you.

I have an older mobo and cpu in my media center, so it's a little more unforgiving when it comes to large ISO files. Blu-ray folder starts almost instantly while ISO takes about 10+ seconds to open.

VLC for Windows doesn't support hardware acceleration. I would use MPC-HC if I were you.

I have an older mobo and cpu in my media center, so it's a little more unforgiving when it comes to large ISO files. Blu-ray folder starts almost instantly while ISO takes about 10+ seconds to open.

Hardware Acceleration? What do you mean? I downloaded MPC-HC (64bit version, which im assuming is the one i need).

How do you start all those folders and make them into a movie is my question?

EDIT: Btw, how do you get the MPC-HC to see (and then play) ISO files?

UPDATE: Well consider me the first now lol, i downloaded the TMT3 Platinum Trial and i cant get it to play my Blu ray (Star Trek). I have it set to the right Drive (E:) and i click play, it changes the windows color scheme, nothing happens then it pops back. Does the same thing when i use the Windows Media Center Plug-in.
UPDATE2: Got it working somehow (ejected the movie and put it back in). But now i cant hear audio, it said " Dolby license isnt in the trial version"

So it deffinitly seems these programs are amazing. But my biggest thing is the price, $111.00 for TMT3 Platinum, and still no one has told me how strict they are on reinstalling the program, aka Key useage. (Example: I plan on using my Blu-ray drive on my HTPC until i get my PS3, then move the drive to my PC at my desk. Will i be able to uninstall the TMT3 and re-install it onto the PC at my desk?)

Then theres DVDFab "Blu-ray to Blu-ray" : which cost $105.99 (assuming you get the lifetime subscription) which enables me to rip Blu-rays and burn Blu-rays (assuming i have a BD burner)

So all in all for Blu-rays on my PC i have spent the cost of the PS3+ a 500gig HDD ? lol. Im not saying that its horrible and i wont ever do it, but my numbers are correct right? Im not missing anything or got anything wrong did i?

Last edited:
my builds were gradual. I've had DVDFab since it practically came out. When they introduced Blu-ray ripping, they started separating all of the parts of DVDFab and sold them in pieces. So I can't really tell you how much it'll cost for everything now. Early adopters can continue to use every feature they already had. I just had to buy the Blu-ray piece to complete it. I can't remember how much it costs. It's been a while.

As for Total Media Theater, yeah it's pricey, but along with Windows 7 for Media Center, TMT and AnyDVD are probably your best software investments to complete your media center software-wise, TMT3 Platinum is $89.99

When I say I rip Blu-ray in folder structure, I mean it'll appear as you see it on the disk. For example, for the movie Star Trek, my media storage drive would appear like this..

d:\SciFi\Star Trek\
d:\SciFi\Star Trek\BDMV
d:\SciFi\Star Trek\Certificate

and for example, the movie 300 would be

d:\Action\300
d:\Action\300\BDMV
d:\Action\300\Certificate

All of the movies, audio and subtitles would be stored in BDMV. There'll be a few other folders in BDMV like Auxdata, Backup, and so on.

In retrospect, a DVD folder structure would read like this

d:\Fantasy\Fellowship of the Ring\
d:\Fantasy\Fellowship of the Ring\VIDEO_TS

When you set up MediaBrowser for your Windows Media Center, all you need to do is add each of the genre folders.

Action points to d:\Action
SciFi points to d:\SciFi
Fantasy points to d:\Fantasy
Adventure points to d:\Adventure

and so on..

MediaBrowser knows what to do with each of the movie-named folders and the folder structures within. If you go in MediaBrowser's Advanced setup, into External Player, chose Blu-ray in the drop menu and associate it with c:\Program Files (x86)\Arcsoft\TotalMedia Theatre 3\uMCEDVDPlayer.exe

That's it. When you open MediaBrowser, you'll see a list of each genre, probably in Coverflow style. Go into each of them and you'll see your movies. Go into your movies and you'll see the play button. Nothing to it.

DVDFab7 has the ability to rip just the main movie without the FBI warning and trailers and menu and all that crap. You also have the ability to chose the audio format and language you prefer. I always chose DTS-HD Master or TrueHD, whichever is available. I leave everything else out. I also chose the English subtitle. Then rip it and when it's done, throw the ripped files into your media storage the way I mentioned above.

my builds were gradual. I've had DVDFab since it practically came out. When they introduced Blu-ray ripping, they started separating all of the parts of DVDFab and sold them in pieces. So I can't really tell you how much it'll cost for everything now. Early adopters can continue to use every feature they already had. I just had to buy the Blu-ray piece to complete it. I can't remember how much it costs. It's been a while.

As for Total Media Theater, yeah it's pricey, but along with Windows 7 for Media Center, TMT and AnyDVD are probably your best software investments to complete your media center software-wise, TMT3 Platinum is $89.99

When I say I rip Blu-ray in folder structure, I mean it'll appear as you see it on the disk. For example, for the movie Star Trek, my media storage drive would appear like this..

d:\SciFi\Star Trek\
d:\SciFi\Star Trek\BDMV
d:\SciFi\Star Trek\Certificate

and for example, the movie 300 would be

d:\Action\300
d:\Action\300\BDMV
d:\Action\300\Certificate

All of the movies, audio and subtitles would be stored in BDMV. There'll be a few other folders in BDMV like Auxdata, Backup, and so on.

In retrospect, a DVD folder structure would read like this

d:\Fantasy\Fellowship of the Ring\
d:\Fantasy\Fellowship of the Ring\VIDEO_TS

When you set up MediaBrowser for your Windows Media Center, all you need to do is add each of the genre folders.

Action points to d:\Action
SciFi points to d:\SciFi
Fantasy points to d:\Fantasy
Adventure points to d:\Adventure

and so on..

MediaBrowser knows what to do with each of the movie-named folders and the folder structures within. If you go in MediaBrowser's Advanced setup, into External Player, chose Blu-ray in the drop menu and associate it with c:\Program Files (x86)\Arcsoft\TotalMedia Theatre 3\uMCEDVDPlayer.exe

That's it. When you open MediaBrowser, you'll see a list of each genre, probably in Coverflow style. Go into each of them and you'll see your movies. Go into your movies and you'll see the play button. Nothing to it.

DVDFab7 has the ability to rip just the main movie without the FBI warning and trailers and menu and all that crap. You also have the ability to chose the audio format and language you prefer. I always chose DTS-HD Master or TrueHD, whichever is available. I leave everything else out. I also chose the English subtitle. Then rip it and when it's done, throw the ripped files into your media storage the way I mentioned above.

Do you know of the install/reinstall ability of the programs? Most important to me is that im not buying these programs to only have them be installed on 1 PC and not able to use the Key again.

Yeah well DVDFab's Bluray program "part" is their "Bluray-to-Bluray" version. http://dvdfab.com/en/blu-ray-to-blu-ray.htm
The license is on a subscription basis, with 1,2,3,4 years being options, 1 year is included, 2 is $12, 3 year is 24$, 4 years is $25 and lifetime is $45. I see no reason to get anything other than lifetime. But that means the grand total of DVDFab is $117.50 (DVDFab, lifetime subscription, CD backup)

TMT3 Platinum is $89.99, but with SimHD Plug-In (Im assuming thats the Windows Media Center plug-in) its $99.99, and TMT3 Platinum + 3D Plug-In + SimHD Bundle is $109.99 (which im assuming gives me future 3D playing support).

Overall i would think the last option is the most future proof, so the final cost of TMT3 would be: $120.98 for TMT3 Platinum + 3D + SimHD bundle, and backup CD.

-Now with those 2 purchases, is there any reason to want/need AnyDVD HD?

Yeah the file format you typed out is familiar (at least the DVD one is), cause i have accidentally ripped DVDs to that format and had no clue how to make them play as a movie, let alone what program you would even use. What did you mean when i setup my MediaBrowser? Is that another program or do you mean TMT3?

Sim HD is TMT's upscaling plug-in for standard DVD's. TMT-3 Platinum will integrate into WMC all by itself. 3D? Dunno. I have a Pioneer Kuro, so the chance of me downgrading to a 3D capable TV in the next 4 or 5 years is remote at best, so it doesnt affect me.
But I agree, TMT3 and AnyDVD HD are must-haves for Blu-ray on HTPC's.

Sim HD is TMT's upscaling plug-in for standard DVD's. TMT-3 Platinum will integrate into WMC all by itself. 3D? Dunno. I have a Pioneer Kuro, so the chance of me downgrading to a 3D capable TV in the next 4 or 5 years is remote at best, so it doesnt affect me.
But I agree, TMT3 and AnyDVD HD are must-haves for Blu-ray on HTPC's.

Thanks, i do like up-scaling, as for 3D yeah i agree, i think its stupid, a gimmick in everything but gaming and the chances of me ever getting a 3D tv are REMOTE at best, but a 3D gaming monitor some day? maybe.

Yeah SimHD is for upscaling DVDs. I didn't get that because I let Media Center play DVD by itself. I tried SimHD with the trial and wasn't that impressed. When I'm watching a movie, I get lost in it, so I don't pay much attention to DVD upscales. I didn't think about that in your cost of TMT3, my bad.

Back