Are all Dell laptop keyboards the same?

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
I just received an XPS 15 that I ordered. The keyboard on it is the crappiest I've ever experienced and is completely unusable. Are the Inspirion keyboards the same or are they any better?

What brand laptops have the best keyboards? I don't need to type books on it, but it at least needs to be decent.

Yes. They're all crappy chiclet keyboards.

I'm looking at the Lenovo Thinkpads now, they look like they have much better.

lol oh geez.

I always use wireless mouse though, so should be ok there.

imho almost all laptop keyboards are crap compared to a good ol mechanical one

Well, my D630 has a nice keyboard, but that's from 2007. The latest from Dell that I've used, ew...

Same goes for Lenovo. 2010 up to 2014-ish I really like. The newer stuff.. ewww....

It's the Applification of everything mobile, I guess. It has to look sleek and modern at all costs.

Yeah I couldn't believe how crappy the keyboards are. I haven't had laptops in almost a decade. But the Sony's and Gateways I had back in the day had perfectly fine keyboards. The build quality and design on this Dell is wonderful but for a flagship device the keyboard on this XPS is a total joke. In their defense I went to the store and it's a bit better than every other brand keyboard that was there. Except I did try my buddy's Lenovo X1 Carbon and it is significantly better than the Dell. I ordered the X1 Extreme and will be selling this Dell laptop.

Some of the gaming laptops I've seen though look like they have nice keyboards though so they are excluded. But if Lenovo can put a nice one in an ultra book so can other companies. These crappy chiclet keys are unacceptable. They would honestly be better off doing away with it completely and going digital like a phone screen than using these crappy keys.

Last edited:
The issue I have with Lenovo keyboards is the keys that are missing (such as Pause) and the damn Fn key on the wrong place. I know you can switch it virtually through the BIOS, but why god, why?

That said, seems that Dell started eating keys as well.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time leaving things as they are sometimes. I know this is tech, innovation and stuff, but some things are already GOOD, leave them be!

Back