Arcygenical03 Folding System

Arcygenical

Fully [H]
Introduction

I recently got bit by the Folding At Home bug... again... Living in a dorm room, with free power, I was no longer feeling the sting of my FAH kwh's. I decided that, since folding on GPU's was an insanely cheap way to maintain around 10kppd, I would opt in for 4 8800GS system, and stash it under my bed to deal with the noise.

Well, plans change. I realized that, with the advent of cheap, second hand hardware, I could build a system and have a ton of fun modding it; all while keeping costs relatively low. I shopped around for the best prices on absolutely everything, and used the box as an excuse to upgrade some parts in my main system (and donated the old ones to the FAH project of course!).

Arcygenical03 System Specifications:
  • MSI KA92 Platinum
  • AMD Orleans 3200+ 65w
  • 4x 8800GS
  • Thermaltake 750w Non-Modular PSU
  • Cooler Master 590 Case

Arcygenical03 Cooling Specifications:
  1. Black Ice Pro III Radiator (I NEED ONE OF THESE: PLEASE SELL ME ONE)
  2. 4x Maze 4's with modded retention brackets (I NEED 2 OF THESE TOO!)
  3. Danger Den CPX-1 Pump (low flow system, Temperatures aren't that important really...)

This mod is personally exciting for a variety of reasons: the most pertinent being my location. I'm living in a dorm room... 100 square feet of glory. I'm therefore not allowed to use many power tools, I can't paint, and I certainly can't make many cuts. In-Fact, the only tools I'm using for the project include:

1. Cheap Wal-Mart Variable speed drill
  2. 4-40, 6-32, 8-30 taps
  3. Straight razor blades
  4. 6” coping saw (with 1 blade, better make it count!)
  5. 3” C clamp

And that's about it... Therefore, with the plans I have, this will be the most labour intensive project I've ever embarked upon, relying more on my skills and hacks than tools and materials. Additionally, I've been playing around with the idea of a specific colour scheme for some time now... One that I'll finally get to fulfil with this build... But you'll see all that later ;).

Finally, I'm going to outline the goals of this project, in their order of preference:
  1. 13k ppd minimum!
  2. Very quiet, less than 34dba from 3 feet.
  3. Visual mods
  4. No cuts to the case (except for a window, eventually)

So, stick around, stay tuned for some updates (they're going to come slow this round...) and have a good time! Any input, suggestions or comments are encouraged, as always.

Update 1

Allright, well, not to waste any time, I decided to disassemble the case. Let me put this out as a warning to anyone... If you're planning on modding a CM590, be warned: I had to drill out and tap 63 rivets. I spent 15 minutes doing the same on a Centurion 5... 35 minutes doing it on a PC-V2000B, and over TWO HOURS doing it on this case. Kill me.

02CAP.jpg

And here we have my ghetto ass test bench... Now, this is only some of the hardware, but I'm getting 3-4 packages in today, which should at least give you a better idea of what I'm shooting for...

01GATB.jpg

And that's it for now... I'll update around 4pm when UPS comes.

nice
4 gpu's for folding sounds interesting.

but under your bed? even if you could sleep with the rig runnin' i could imagine that it produces a lot of environmental stress ("electronic smog")

nice
4 gpu's for folding sounds interesting.

but under your bed? even if you could sleep with the rig runnin' i could imagine that it produces a lot of environmental stress ("electronic smog")

Yeah, well... Hehe, plans change. You'll see :)

Small update... I got the PPC's parts in... One of the few orders I'm placing in the next couple of days.

03Order1.jpg

Just some sleeving materials and some radgrills :)

Update 2

Small update right now... I got 2 more 8800GS's in (Thanks guys!) and I decided to sleeve the PSU... Not a great job around the part where the wires enter the PSU it's self, but this will be hidden behind acrylic, so you'll never see it :)

04sleevedWhite.jpg

Are you going to be running 4 of the GPU clients for F@H? I run it on my CrossFireX setup (2x 4850) but I'm not sure that it utilizes both cards let alone 4. I'm curious.

Well, I won't be running in SLI/CF... Just 4 different video adapters... It should run for 3.2-4kppd per card :)

The rig specs itself already look nice. I'm not sure about Folding but it seems like it might just be a project I might take on for in the future....

Oh man I would die if I could get free electricity.

I'm having issues installing XP to a 2gb OCZ USB Stick, but I think I'm finally making progress...

I've got a few updates tonight, and quite a few around next tuesday...

I'm having issues installing XP to a 2gb OCZ USB Stick, but I think I'm finally making progress...

I've got a few updates tonight, and quite a few around next tuesday...

I dont think xp will fit on a 2GB usb drive unless you nlite it.

I dont think xp will fit on a 2GB usb drive unless you nlite it.

The full installation with drivers and SP3 comes in at around 1300mb... Throw in my school's mandatory bullshit cisco verification crap, and we're up to around 1550mb (yes, Mcaffe and the Cisco scanners come in at 250mb total :mad:)

But, I'll be running all the FAH clients from a RAM disk, if possible... It should save me both HD space and wear on the drive.

XP is up and running after a 5 hour installation saga

Update 3

Now, as I said, there's a small update for tonight. Really, the majority of the things I've worked on were completely behind the scenes... Testing and tweaking, getting my USB Stick install of XP working, etc.

But, I did manage to get a few mod-related things done so far this week!

First up, here's the 2 XFX GPU's that I've purchased so far, fit with waterblocks, in all their glory. This, my friends, is what 7k ppd looks like!
07GPUs.jpg

Also, in that picture, you see the pump I'll be using (retrofitted with the 90 degree angle), the Am2 retention bracket I was waiting on, and the USB stick with the OS installed to it.

Here's the system "hard drive" :D
05HardDrive.jpg

Yes, it boots slow (about 2m from startup to client initialization) but in windows you wouldn't notice a difference with every-day tasks. This took a fucking lot of work to set up correctly... I burnt over 11 ISO's (thank GOD for CD-RWs!) to get this working correctly.

Here's the last shot of the day (I know, I know... It's still very slow... This will change by the middle of next week!) where I'm testing the CPU client under the USB XP installation. The CPU barely goes over 40c with the fan running at 55% speed (around 1800rpm). The fan isn't audible above the stock eVGA fan.
06noretentionbracket.jpg

And that's it for now... I've got a package from jab-tech coming in tomorrow, with some fans... But even so, until I get the case fully ready to go... There won't be much more progress.

The full installation with drivers and SP3 comes in at around 1300mb... Throw in my school's mandatory bullshit cisco verification crap, and we're up to around 1550mb (yes, Mcaffe and the Cisco scanners come in at 250mb total :mad:)

Mandatory CSA client on non-university owned machines?

Mandatory CSA client on non-university owned machines?
Some schools are really anal about stuff if you are running Windows since viruses can spread so quickly. Minimizes headaches in the long run.

Some schools are really anal about stuff if you are running Windows since viruses can spread so quickly. Minimizes headaches in the long run.

Apologies OP, not trying to sidetrack. :)

CSA = POS IMHO

Yeah, I work for a (unnamed) Fortune 500 company. They put that crap on all the desktops as well. :rolleyes:

Although I do understand the reasons from a broader scale/scope perspective, there are instances when things like CSA cause more issues than resolve. ( I would know, as I'm 1 of the Network Engineers.)

But I digress, back to the OP mod. :D

Want to see more work! (and check your IM)

Oh, I don't mind the derail at all! I actively encourage discussion in my worklogs :p

CCA is a POS, and I hate it... There's a good workaround that I've found, but alas, it's just not that important to screw around with... I've still got a few hundred MB of space left on this machine, and it won't interface with any viral vectors (cept the internet, but whose gonna hack me...) so I'm just going to suck it up.

As for the mod progress, the case is totally assembled and waiting to be painted. If you haven't guessed by now, I'm painting the inside a high gloss white. The theme of this mod is white gloss, black hardware, purple lighting with orange LED accents. Should be interesting to say the least!

I'll keep everyone updated when I finish painting...

Well, I'm actually gonna have the hard drive on "display" since it's got a built in orange LED!

Going out to Home Depot to get some more supplies...

Update 4

Well, I got a wicked package in from my good friends at Jab-Tech! I picked up 7 1200rpm Yate Loon fans, 10ft of Masterkleer tubing and some more white heatshrink... Oh, and a black Tline that's not pictured here...
10JTorder1.jpg

Alright, well, I bit the bullet and realized it was time to start tackling the top of the case... I need to remove those 140mm fan grill slots. Only problem... No power tools. I'm using a coping saw with a fine wood blade. The hacksaw blade that the saw came with actually took longer than this wood blade, but whatever...
08cutting1.jpg

Fast forward 25 minutes and the first grill was removed. Yes, this took me about 25 minutes to do... I have new-found respect for the hand-laborers of a few decades ago!
09Cutting2.jpg

I wasn't sure I wanted to show this yet... But I was asked about the fluid colour. Well, I'm planning on going with a purple Primo-Chill dye bomb... Which you should *just* be able to see behind the sleeved tubing... I had lots of comments on the sleeved tubing from my last system, so I decided to do it again!
11Sleevedtube.jpg

Here's the tubing installed on the first 2 cards...
13cardshooked.jpg

You can see just how snug these cards are when installed in the motherboard... I'm very close to kinking the tubes that connect the two parts... and I'm not entirely sure what to do to prevent this... I was thinking some swiftech smartcoils, but in all honesty they ruin the look. I'll check my temps with the kinks first, and go from there.
15CardsInstalled.jpg

The last update for tonight are the two cards again... You can see on the card closest to the camera, the custom black ramsinks I made... I cut up some low profile black aluminum Heatsinks (I got 8 of them for 10$!) and they fit the BGA ram packages PERFECTLY. I was very excited about that!
14customHS.jpg

Is there any reason why you have to connect the first card to the second card in the loop? Why not go card one to card three, and card two to card four? Or better yet, why not split some or all of the cards into a parallel configuration. That would lower restriction since your only going with the one pump.

I really like the look of this so far :)

You know, I was just toying around with the idea of splitting it into two seperate GPU loops... There's only 1 problem though, being that the fourth Maze 4 will be a low profile Maze 4... I'm wondering how large the impact will be with asymmetric flow rates...

And, to top it off, a Y connector would add a small degree of unsightliness to the loop... But I figure I might be able to get around that...

Alright, well, I lost the camera for the weekend, so you'll just have to trust me that I've made good progress...

However, I've come to the decision that I'll be running 2 GPU mini-loops... As Erasmus said, I'll have GPU's 1 and 3 in a loop, and 2 and 4 in a loop.

I'll run 7/16" tubing between the linked cards, and 3/8" tubing from the Y fitting (well, I've got a wicked idea for this Y fitting actually... so it's not really a fitting) to the cards... It should help with the tube routing as, TBH, this case is going to be very cramped if I use all Masterkleer tubing.

But, come Monday night, I should have a bunch of pictures for everyone... I'm going to go powdercoat the chassis with a friend tomorrow, my first real DIY powdercoating job. I'm very stoked for this :D.

I've also reserved funds for the last 8800GS... And come up with some cool ideas to mount my pump... Requiring an order from McMaster Carr... And prices go up....

wow, excellent stuff. I'm moving in January and eying some apartments with the electrics as included...but there's nothing better than taking a little bit of that tuition money back from your school.

I can't wait to see how this all turns out. /subscribed

Update 5

Allright! Got a pretty big update around this time... :D First up, is the powdercoating... It came out magnificent IMO. Here's 5 of the 6 pieces we coated... The other one wouldn't fit on my (super expensive D:) plushy carpet.
17pc1.jpg

Here's a closeup shot of the super high gloss white coating. I swear to god, an extra 20$ over what it would have cost ME to paint it, I get something this awesome... I'm never painting again!
18PC2.jpg

Well... Unless I want something matte I guess...

Slowly reassembling the case...
19reassemble1.jpg

Here's the case completely reassembled... Looks awesome IMO!
20reassemble2.jpg

Now, if you remember, I spent around 3 hours cutting out the fan grills on the top... IMO they were really cheap (they weren't even properly painted! In fact- this case has the worst paint job of ANY case I've ever owned!) so... I cut them off, and used the AC ryan Radgrills pictured above.
21top1.jpg

Yes, I see there's a scratch on the black paint job... And yes, I will be sanding and re-painting the case eventually (as I said, the stock paint job is teh suck). The grills are in perfect condition, the "scratches" are just my greasy finger tracks...

Here's the underside of the top... Yes, I realize it's not perfect... I had no choice here. I also realize it's not painted... But, don't worry about that... I've got some ideas for the case, and I'll have a bit of material left over to cover the gray-steel colour. These are both yate loons and will be run at around 7v each.
22top2.jpg

Let's install the motherboard! You've all done this, so I'm skipping the majority of the pics here.
23moboin.jpg

Then we install the PSU... In it's hideous stock form. I'm still undecided on my plans for the PSU... I know I'll be covering the bottom area down there, but I don't want to make a "wind tunnel" type of setup... IMO, that's even uglier than the system's current form.
24psuinstalled.jpg

And finally, the "wiring" job at the back... Yes, when this is done, considering I'm using all custom cables directly from the PSU PCB, you shouldn't see very many cables at all.
25backwiringprogress.jpg

That's it for now... Stay tuned for updates later this week when I get my last Performance-PC's order in, and my last XFX 8800GS (Thanks Crosshairs!)

I'm still very concerned with a few things... Mainly the PSU shroud down at the bottom... But, we'll just have to see how things go :eek:.

The white is refreshingly classy. Like White leather in a classic muscle car.

What color will the liquid be? Did I miss that somewhere?

Hes using white sleeved tubing with purple dye.

Go up to post 24 to see the actual sleeved tubing hes using.

Yessir. White + Purple :).

Now, performance-pcs is taking their sweet freakin time with my last order... Been 2 days since I paid and it still hasn't shipped... Updates likely to come on Tuesday of next week... I was shooting for Saturday of this week :(

Yeah, that board would be amazingly good for FAH... But, considering it's a Nehalem board... I bet it would be more economical to set up 2 AM2 boxen with 3 cards each than one single nehalem system :p.

On the upside, I've got a few updates coming tonight... The WRONG tubing was sent to me (TWICE!) from Performance-Pcs... so alas, Its going to be a few more days before I finish this...

I might just put the wrong tubing in, and disassemble it all when I get the correct stuff in :eek:

Back