Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 5970 now available!

can you guys take pictures of the top of the card without a heatsink, and the bottom of the heatsink? maybe we can figure out what's going on.

is it possible it's too heavy? or is it not as heavy as the original,

the original hs has supports all the way down the card probably to prevent it from bending too much.

can you guys take pictures of the top of the card without a heatsink, and the bottom of the heatsink? maybe we can figure out what's going on.

the original hs has supports all the way down the card probably to prevent it from bending too much.

It's definitely not too heavy. It is much lighter than the stock cooler. It looks to be evenly distributed and not bending the card. I took some pictures during install. I can post them this evening.

What case, I can see one is an 800D which I have. I know I have to adjust my card a little to get the screws to go in - this is fine with the std cooler, wonder if it might be a problem with the Artic Cooling one.

I could test with mine but for obvious reasons I'm not too willing to fit my AC cooler at the moment.

Fred

What case, I can see one is an 800D which I have. I know I have to adjust my card a little to get the screws to go in - this is fine with the std cooler, wonder if it might be a problem with the Artic Cooling one.

I could test with mine but for obvious reasons I'm not too willing to fit my AC cooler at the moment.

Fred

Are you talking about bending the metal support, by the DVI ports? If so I tried bending it both ways. I even tried putting it in the other pci express.

See my post on page 2. I made sure to take before and after pics.

those pics are the top of the cooler, and side of the card :p not really going to help identify problem areas on the bottom of the cooler, or top of the card ;)

With that said, I'm not sure my pics would be much better. I'm afraid to take the cooler off at this point since I still have one DVI port working fine.

those pics are the top of the cooler, and side of the card :p not really going to help identify problem areas on the bottom of the cooler, or top of the card ;)

What? I posted pictures of me installing the cooler, cleaning off the thermal paste etc.

I know the second link contained pictures of it in the case. But the first link has what you are asking for.

What? I posted pictures of me installing the cooler, cleaning off the thermal paste etc.

I know the second link contained pictures of it in the case. But the first link has what you are asking for.

my bad ! I didn't know it was more then 1 pic

Thanks for taking interest and helping BTW. I still haven't heard anything back from Artic Cooling.

I personally feel for gamingarena23 because I thought my card was dead as well. For 25 minutes it wouldn't do anything. So I decided to take a shower, shut the machine off, and take a break. I came back, removed the cmos battery, and changed the dvi port to the right one and thankfully it worked.

Well im staying away of this Cooler.

If anyone wants Brand new Cooler for 5970 in GTA Toronto area can have it for $70 cost me $110

The cooler is same as it came no damage or anything i know what im doing for last 20yrs.

Maybe its just my bad luck.

Well i left it over night, put the original sink back reset the bios on motherboard, even flashed the bios on video card and still no post.
Yes i can flash the bios on the card i used another video card and it actually see the 5970 but the actual card does not wont to boot or post anything.

Moved it to diferent PCI-e slots tried all 3, both DVI connectors and nothing.
All this happen after 10 minutes of use of Artic Cooler and the temp were great around 55 full load then lock of the system then reboot and then nothing.

Last edited:
I'm guessing maybe the bottom heatsink plate that cools the VRMs might have shorted on something.

5970s are all still reference cards right? So there shouldn't be a compatibility issue with incorrect board layouts.

Given that there are 3 people with dead DVIs in this thread and no more are willing to try it, maybe we will have to wait for reviews to see.

I'm guessing maybe the bottom heatsink plate that cools the VRMs might have shorted on something.

5970s are all still reference cards right? So there shouldn't be a compatibility issue with incorrect board layouts.

Given that there are 3 people with dead DVIs in this thread and no more are willing to try it, maybe we will have to wait for reviews to see.

I'm sure something got shorted i just cant figure out what.
After the first hard lock that was it cant revive the card no more.

I'm the worst since none of DVI ports work the other guys got lucky and have one DVI working.
My replacement card is coming today but im just afraid to try to sink again.

Thanks for taking interest and helping BTW. I still haven't heard anything back from Artic Cooling.

I personally feel for gamingarena23 because I thought my card was dead as well. For 25 minutes it wouldn't do anything. So I decided to take a shower, shut the machine off, and take a break. I came back, removed the cmos battery, and changed the dvi port to the right one and thankfully it worked.

I still need a picture of the bottom of the heatsink,

and also if you one of you can, the sink mounted on the card, from the side(so you can see between the card / heatsink)

I wonder since this is killing DVI ports, if it has the same issue on the DP, maybe it's shorting something on/around the RAMDACs ?(or are they integrated into the GPU?)?

I appreciate everyone's interest and help. I wish Kyle or Brent would look into this also. They would have the resources to help figure out the problem with this very popular cooler that many here at [H] have or want to get.

I'm sure something got shorted i just cant figure out what.
After the first hard lock that was it cant revive the card no more.

I'm the worst since none of DVI ports work the other guys got lucky and have one DVI working.
My replacement card is coming today but im just afraid to try to sink again.

You would have to be...less than wise...to repeat the installation.

I still need a picture of the bottom of the heatsink,

and also if you one of you can, the sink mounted on the card, from the side(so you can see between the card / heatsink)

I wonder since this is killing DVI ports, if it has the same issue on the DP, maybe it's shorting something on/around the RAMDACs ?(or are they integrated into the GPU?)?

I'll have you some 1900 x ??? 360 degree macro shots in about 20 minutes.

Where are you located?

You can have mine if you want to play around with.

i'm in Toronto

Burlington :p not too far away! I won't power the card on till I'm 100% sure nothing is shorting, but I was thinking of maybe putting a non-conductive UV stain on the heatsink, then putting it on the card, throw up a black light, and you can see all of the contact areas

As far as weight and bending are concerned. The AC Twin Turbo Pro causes the 5870 to sag but all my ports work.

Here are some pics that Digital Viper suggested. I don't have any natural sunlight coming in, so it's hard to get these in focus. I'll try to redo them in the morning when I have the sun to help me.

http://imgur.com/a/MYUM2

I'm looking to buy one of these, really on the fence. I still believe the Xtreme 4870x2 killed my 4870x2 after 2 weeks. it started off fine but then the card started to lockup randomly (not a driver issue). I don't want to take a chance blowing a 600$ card if it's a known issue and AC is not willing to do anything about it.

gamingarena23 I'm in Brampton, if there's no damage to the unit, I might be interested.

Fred

So are you guys installing using the backplate that comes with the Accelero, or the one on your 5970? Could you just use the original backplate in case the accelero backplate shorts something?

So are you guys installing using the backplate that comes with the Accelero, or the one on your 5970? Could you just use the original backplate in case the accelero backplate shorts something?

The Accelero does not come with a back-plate. You have to use the original stock one.

Anyone installed it successfully without getting any issues? I really don't feel like bricking my 5970!

The Accelero does not come with a back-plate. You have to use the original stock one.

Well, there goes that idea :-p

When I get my heatsink I'll see about looking at the contact areas...what would it take do do a UV non-conductive coating? Where can you get that?

I'm looking to buy one of these, really on the fence. I still believe the Xtreme 4870x2 killed my 4870x2 after 2 weeks. it started off fine but then the card started to lockup randomly (not a driver issue). I don't want to take a chance blowing a 600$ card if it's a known issue and AC is not willing to do anything about it.

gamingarena23 I'm in Brampton, if there's no damage to the unit, I might be interested.

Check your PM.

I would take it off your card btw, if you have 1 working DVI left, take it off before it kills the other, until the issue is known anyway.

I would take it off your card btw, if you have 1 working DVI left, take it off before it kills the other, until the issue is known anyway.

I may regret it, but I'm enjoying the low temps and the low noise. I can't bear the thought of putting that rattling stock cooler back on. If it fries, I'll sit in the corner and cry silently.

Here are some pics that Digital Viper suggested. I don't have any natural sunlight coming in, so it's hard to get these in focus. I'll try to redo them in the morning when I have the sun to help me.

http://imgur.com/a/MYUM2

Natural sunlight is not totally neccessary for focus. Could you use the flash or artificial lighting? Even a flashlight works sometimes. In any case, I think what Digital Viper X really wants is pictures of the bottom of the cooling unit and the the surface of the card to compare what makes contact. Side shots of the card and cooler already installed aren't going to show anything useful unfortunately.

What do the dentists use when they are doing fillings to make sure the teeth still make contact correctly - it's some sort of blue paper, right? Any chance that can be found and bought for testing this out?

I may regret it, but I'm enjoying the low temps and the low noise. I can't bear the thought of putting that rattling stock cooler back on. If it fries, I'll sit in the corner and cry silently.

Same here. I hated that ticking noise!

Arctic Cooling killed my 4870X2! Did they actually send the proper screws for this cooler? I wish HardOCP could do a review and possibly expose how Arctic Cooling ruins their customers hardware.

Back