Arctic Accelero xtreme 7970, anyone have yet?

Running HWiNF064, during gaming my GPU temps are in the 60s and my VRMs are in the 80s with manual fan set to 75~80%. If I leave the fans on auto, then my VRMs get up into the 100s. I think the main thing is getting airflow to the VRM heat-sinks. I'm gonna try and put some better fans on my case down. This should lower the VRMs a bit too. But for now, my fans are set to manual 80% all the time. No difference in noise level. Idle temp right now is 39 for GPU and 39 for VRMs.

What game/software are you using to get the vrms hot? I could test mine the same way.

As of yet I haven't been able to get my vrm's more than 90degrees with auto fan. And the fan was at 40% under max load.

I used Heaven with everything maxed out. You can also use Trine 2. That game slams your video card bigtime. The key to keeping your VRMs cool is to get some air to blow across those heatsinks. Either ramp up the speed of the AAX fans or use a case door fan and leave the AAX fan on auto.

The thing I keep forgetting is that I use MSI afterburner to limit my FPS to 125 regardless off the game. This helps in the game menu situations to reduce wasted energy. (for Heaven 3.0 I max out everything so I stay away from the 125fps limit.)

Can anyone point me to where the online manual for this is?

I'm considering getting a couple of these, but I can't find the documentation anywhere online.

I am almost ready. :D

dscn1134g.jpg

Oh jeez, so it's just how I thought. I'm still getting one, but I hope that just means you're as slow as me and also take an hour to solder on a few capacitors neatly...

I put an Accelero on one of my GTX 470s a while ago.

The process is quite painless, you just have to give the Arctic bonding cement for the sinks at least 5 hours to cure.

Placing the cooler is pretty easy.

Only problem is these things are huge, your card takes up three PCI-e slots once installed.

They are remarkably quiet and cool.
In my setup, I also have a GTX 470 Twin Frozr and the Accelero is just as quiet if not more quiet.:D They run at exctly the same temps.

The worst part about installing the AAX is waiting for that damn G1 thermo glue to dry. Just plan on not using your gamer PC for about a day since the G1 compound is very runny and takes more than 5 hours to cure. I actually recommend letting the card sit with the heat sinks on for a full day before mounting the heatsink-fan assembly and reinstalling into your PC.

What game/software are you using to get the vrms hot? I could test mine the same way.

As of yet I haven't been able to get my vrm's more than 90degrees with auto fan. And the fan was at 40% under max load.

Mostly I loop Heaven 3.0. My car is OC'd to 1205/1625. My gpu voltage is 1.193v. So far this is the most stable I can get without crashing Heaven or artifacts in SWTOR. SWTOR will show artifacts if I get things wrong. At least for me. Heaven will usually artifact and crash as well. I play Skyrim and a few old school games.

I was worried about the epoxy setting as well. So I let my card sit a day. Since the kit came with a bunch of spare heat sinks, I used some of the larger ones in place of the smaller ones. So far it's been doing pretty good. I just have to keep the fans on manual as I stated before.

Has no one here tried the Arctic Silver cement someone else mentioned? I forget if I read it here or in a review somewhere else, but it's supposed to dry extremely fast (but also be permanent >_>)

I believe this was the stuff mentioned:

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/other_misc/Artic Silver Adhesive/artic silver.html

Yes you could use this: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/araltherad.html

Dries quick, excellent thermal transferrance, but it's permanent exopy.

The G1 stuff is pliable and comes off like a thermal pad.

You could never RMA a card with heatsinks permanently glued onto the memory.

Oh jeez, so it's just how I thought. I'm still getting one, but I hope that just means you're as slow as me and also take an hour to solder on a few capacitors neatly...

Which capacitors are people changing?

The VRMs are much lower profile, so you need to use the insulating tape over the surface mount resistors left and right of them. I found this a bit annoying.

I have no put these insulating tapes.
You think that I will have problems ?

Temps look good zpaf, is your core at it's limit ? What was your previous limit on the GPU ?

Temps look good zpaf, is your core at it's limit ? What was your previous limit on the GPU ?

I was 1125/1800 at default core/mem voltages but with reference fun at 45% trying to keep temps under 70c and it was too loud for me.
I play on 5760x1080 and my idle temps before was about 50-55c.
Look a pic with about one hour in BF3.

tempsbf3ef.png

I was 1125/1800 at default core/mem voltages but with reference fun at 45% trying to keep temps under 70c and it was too loud for me.

tempsbf3ef.png

Wow... that memory OC is rowdy! :eek: I left my memory at 1600mhz.

Thanks, I had an Accelero here, but decided to return it. I tested my ref. at 100% to see the headroom, but it started artifacting at 1135-1140 at only 63c. When I returned it I ended up talking to one of the staff who was running it, he was at 1250, but said he would artifact if the temps climbed past the low 50's. So I wasn't sure if there is any headroom or not, or just lower temps. I bought this card at launch, so there may be uneven paste as well, causing a hot spot not registering on the thermal diode. I noticed a lot of people say their card goes straight to crashing and fewer mention theirs start artifacting, as a limiting factor. I was happy that my memory runs 1800+ on stock volts though !

zpaf those are some crazy low VRM temps at 20% fan...

what heat sinks did you use on what vrms?
how much paste did you use?
did you put the paste on the heatsink and then put them on the vrm or did you put the paste on the vrm first?

Last edited:
zpaf those are some crazy low VRM temps at 20% fan...

what heat sinks did you use on what vrms?
how much paste did you use?
did you put the paste on the heatsink and then put them on the vrm or did you put the paste on the vrm first?

No its not with 20% fan.
I have connect the fan with 12v to molex not on card.
You can see here all the head sinks I use.
And of course I put the paste on the heat sinks first and then put it on vrm.

dscn1134g.jpg

No its not with 20% fan.
I have connect the fan with 12v to molex not on card.
You can see here all the head sinks I use.
And of course I put the paste on the heat sinks first and then put it on vrm.

dscn1134g.jpg

I'm a bit confused, how do you put paste on the heatsinks =p? don't they have adhesive on them already?

ahhh 12v molex. I wonder what is the equivalent card % fan speed.

I'll try an rig something up to measure voltages tonight.

I'm a bit confused, how do you put paste on the heatsinks =p? don't they have adhesive on them already?

The sinks are bare aluminum. I just cleaned them with ArcticCleanser before I mounted them.

There is no one right way to apply the ArcticCooling G1 adhesive.
The stuff is sort of gummy, even after it cures. You can peel it right off the GPU surface if you ever had to replace the cooler or return the card. It is also nonconductive.
On my Accelero I mixed the adhesive, then spread it on the RAM chips and VRMs then applied the sinks.

I let the stuff cure for 24 hours before I used the card.

Well I took the plunge after returning one unused a couple of weeks ago, and installed an Accelero this weekend. I had tested the card with the stock fan at 100% to see what it was capable of. It artifacted on stock voltages at 1125-1150, and was good for 1800 on the mem. Since I had seen some people still complaining about high VRM temps after the install, I decided to use the larger "offset: heatsinks on the VRMs, since they were extra for the 7970. As otheres have noted, the removable epoxy takes approx 24 hrs to dry, and even the extra in the container would still "finger print" in the mixing container after 24 hrs, but was solid. The HD cage in the CM690II needed to be removed by drilling the rivets out, and the bottom half of the cage is the exact height required to support the cooler. Looping the Leo demo for load, the stock fan settings kept the card in the 60's and the VRMs in the 70's. But audibly it is hard to tell between 20% and 90% on the fan speeds, in fact at 100%= the stock coolers idle. So at 100% the VRM's stayed in the high 60's, and the GPU maxed at 49c. Very impressive for being so quiet. But since minor artifacting was limiting my GPU overclock, temps were not the reason, as it only gained about 20-25mhz vs. the stock fan at 100%. Voltage did not help either with the artifacting. I also used the release drivers on the stock cooler, and Cat 12.3 on the accelero. So for temps, and noise, it wins hands down. I can now leave it at the o-clock speeds without worrying about noise or heat. I should note this card had a stock GPU voltage of 1.170

Is there any trick to placement of the PWM cable to prevent it from getting burned? I';ve heard stories from people (not on this model) that had their cables and cards burned out from the PWM fan connector melting.....

Well I took the plunge after returning one unused a couple of weeks ago, and installed an Accelero this weekend. I had tested the card with the stock fan at 100% to see what it was capable of. It artifacted on stock voltages at 1125-1150, and was good for 1800 on the mem. Since I had seen some people still complaining about high VRM temps after the install, I decided to use the larger "offset: heatsinks on the VRMs, since they were extra for the 7970. As otheres have noted, the removable epoxy takes approx 24 hrs to dry, and even the extra in the container would still "finger print" in the mixing container after 24 hrs, but was solid. The HD cage in the CM690II needed to be removed by drilling the rivets out, and the bottom half of the cage is the exact height required to support the cooler. Looping the Leo demo for load, the stock fan settings kept the card in the 60's and the VRMs in the 70's. But audibly it is hard to tell between 20% and 90% on the fan speeds, in fact at 100%= the stock coolers idle. So at 100% the VRM's stayed in the high 60's, and the GPU maxed at 49c. Very impressive for being so quiet. But since minor artifacting was limiting my GPU overclock, temps were not the reason, as it only gained about 20-25mhz vs. the stock fan at 100%. Voltage did not help either with the artifacting. I also used the release drivers on the stock cooler, and Cat 12.3 on the accelero. So for temps, and noise, it wins hands down. I can now leave it at the o-clock speeds without worrying about noise or heat. I should note this card had a stock GPU voltage of 1.170
You should be good for at least 1220MHZ core at 1.23-1.25mv. Were you seeing artifacts on other tests or just the Leo demo?

Is there any trick to placement of the PWM cable to prevent it from getting burned? I';ve heard stories from people (not on this model) that had their cables and cards burned out from the PWM fan connector melting.....

They have a 4 pin connector then a short lead to a 3 pin connector, I just plugged the 4 pin into the card making sure that it was in the correct orientation ? I've heard the same thing, but I'm not sure if those people plugged it in backwards, the leads were assemble wrong at the factory, or they plugged the 3 pin connector into the 4 pin socket. They include a molex connector to bypass the card connector as well.

You should be good for at least 1220MHZ core at 1.23-1.25mv. Were you seeing artifacts on other tests or just the Leo demo?

I would have thought the same thing, but after trying 3 drivers, trixx, and a couple of versions of AB, no luck ! Even with the stock cooler, it was only in the 60's when it would start artifacting, so I don't think it was ever heat related. It also showed on the rocks in the 7th test in the Heaven benchmark. I prefer to use benchmarks to search for artifacts, so you can really look around while testing. The ASIC on the card is 71 %

I used this cooler on my HIS HD7950 while it was alive. Cooled well (didn't go past 60°C at full load) and with silent enough even while gaming.

My card died while idling. I have no idea exactly what caused this (card looks fine, no burns or anything) but since I installed this cooler I now have a worthless card since the warranty is voided. Money well spent.. =/

I used this cooler on my HIS HD7950 while it was alive. Cooled well (didn't go past 60°C at full load) and with silent enough even while gaming.

My card died while idling. I have no idea exactly what caused this (card looks fine, no burns or anything) but since I installed this cooler I now have a worthless card since the warranty is voided. Money well spent.. =/

That blows. Although with these AA coolers, this type of thing is not unheard of.

That blows. Although with these AA coolers, this type of thing is not unheard of.

Yes I did know of the risks, especially with dual GPU-cards. Since it went fine with the card I had before it (and which I have downgraded to now), I thought it was worth the risk. I learnt my lesson however. Still love the cooler, amazing even if such a large cooler should be fastened with more than four screws, but one should know of the risks.

The HD6970 i downgraded to uses the previous Accelero Xtreme Plus actually. Better glue with that revision as well. I don't understand why they changed it to the crap that came with this revision.

WOW. I just installed one of these and it is SO FREAKING GOOD. It is DEAD SILENT even at 100% fan, and temps NEVER pass 55C. That is oc'ed to 1250 with 1225mV as well.

Previously I would get artifacts at 1175 or so unless I used 100% gpu fan on reference, which sounded loud as hell. Now I can OC both of my cards way higher and there is no noise whatsoever.

This thing is amazing.

Make sure you guys keep an eye on your VRM temps as you play D3. I was running 75% fan speed and my VRMs went to 124C. No other game goes anywhere close to that level (battlefield 3 VRM temps are in the 70s) so I set fans to 100% and they still hit 94C which is still crazy high

Back