• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Aquaero is bae

Joined
Apr 5, 2016
Messages
2,286
I love this thing. I'll never need to worry about mobo fan control, or lack thereof again. It does exactly what I need it to do and I'm barely using a 10th of its capabilities.

I do have a question though. I rewired my Alphacool DDC310 like a 3-pin fan. It originally had a molex plug for power and a single tach wire. Now it's all in a single plug - meaning I can plug it into the Aquaero and voltage control it.

The Aquaero sees it as a fan though. I know it wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but is there some way I can define it as a pump?
 
They're absolutely amazing. I've got a fair amount of AC stuff but it's actually the only thing I like (waterblocks piss me off). Only thing I've not figured out how to do is to have a bit of a time lag on the virtual sensors. I run a "max" temp across the CPU and GPU that drives my radiator fans. However its a bit irritating in that the cpu temp goes up and down a fair bit which means the pitch of the fans is always changing. Just want it over a longer sample time so that the little blips don't change the fan speed.

I probably got a bit sensitive to it today because I'd had my PC cranked with handbrake for a day solid with my room getting very hot and it seems to have shaken out a couple of air bubbles with the coolant expanding (I guess), came in and the water level had dropped 1cm and my cpu temperature is all over the place.
 
They're absolutely amazing. I've got a fair amount of AC stuff but it's actually the only thing I like (waterblocks piss me off). Only thing I've not figured out how to do is to have a bit of a time lag on the virtual sensors. I run a "max" temp across the CPU and GPU that drives my radiator fans. However its a bit irritating in that the cpu temp goes up and down a fair bit which means the pitch of the fans is always changing. Just want it over a longer sample time so that the little blips don't change the fan speed.

I probably got a bit sensitive to it today because I'd had my PC cranked with handbrake for a day solid with my room getting very hot and it seems to have shaken out a couple of air bubbles with the coolant expanding (I guess), came in and the water level had dropped 1cm and my cpu temperature is all over the place.
Sounds like you have the same problem I fixed.

I got my Aquaero specifically so I could control rad fan speed based on coolant temperature. That makes for a very gradual change in fan speed, and it's technically accurate, I think. The analog to fan speed ramping with component temperatures in an air cooled system would actually be pump speed in a watercooled system.

Phobya makes a very inexpensive inline coolant temperature sensor you can use to this end! =)
 
I've got the Cuplex Vision CPU block, that's got a water temperature sensor built in so I do monitor it. I just don't tie the fan speed to it. For me I didn't think the coolant temperature shifts fast enough, mine has a 10 degree shift from ambient to max with handbrake going with furmark for an hour. I get a bit nervous because of the disconnect between that and the temperature of the CPU or GPU but I could give it a try and see how it goes.

You did get me thinking with my testing though, I've got an awful feeling that the CPU block has either caught an air bubble or got clogged (with what I don't know) as the CPU isn't driving the coolant temperature up much and for some reason with handbrake / furmark going it's sitting at 63 celcius measured by AI Suite and 72 if measured by the aquaero off one of the hardware sensors. That's at a 25 degree ambient. I swear it wasn't that bad before.

Whilst I had no problems with rigid tubes themselves (everything else, but not the tubing) it will be a real bitch if I want to try reseating it to see if it improves. No shortcuts on this layout :cry:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20171228_132530.jpg
    IMG_20171228_132530.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 25
I love this thing. I'll never need to worry about mobo fan control, or lack thereof again. It does exactly what I need it to do and I'm barely using a 10th of its capabilities.

I do have a question though. I rewired my Alphacool DDC310 like a 3-pin fan. It originally had a molex plug for power and a single tach wire. Now it's all in a single plug - meaning I can plug it into the Aquaero and voltage control it.

The Aquaero sees it as a fan though. I know it wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but is there some way I can define it as a pump?

Do you mean how to rename it as a pump?
- Or that is appears in the fan section of the menu instead of pump?
(For the record, my pump shows up in the fan section, but it's easily renamed...)

I've got the Cuplex Vision CPU block, that's got a water temperature sensor built in so I do monitor it. I just don't tie the fan speed to it. For me I didn't think the coolant temperature shifts fast enough, mine has a 10 degree shift from ambient to max with handbrake going with furmark for an hour. I get a bit nervous because of the disconnect between that and the temperature of the CPU or GPU but I could give it a try and see how it goes.

You did get me thinking with my testing though, I've got an awful feeling that the CPU block has either caught an air bubble or got clogged (with what I don't know) as the CPU isn't driving the coolant temperature up much and for some reason with handbrake / furmark going it's sitting at 63 celcius measured by AI Suite and 72 if measured by the aquaero off one of the hardware sensors. That's at a 25 degree ambient. I swear it wasn't that bad before.

Whilst I had no problems with rigid tubes themselves (everything else, but not the tubing) it will be a real bitch if I want to try reseating it to see if it improves. No shortcuts on this layout :cry:

I wouldn't think the slow fan speed change is a problem. After-all the thermal mass of the water is acting as a huge dampener of temperature anyway.
- I shamelessly copied the suggestion of using a virtual sensor for Air/Water delta which works very well for me. Perhaps the only issue it that the window you're aiming for a fairly narrow.
 
I've got the Cuplex Vision CPU block, that's got a water temperature sensor built in so I do monitor it. I just don't tie the fan speed to it. For me I didn't think the coolant temperature shifts fast enough, mine has a 10 degree shift from ambient to max with handbrake going with furmark for an hour. I get a bit nervous because of the disconnect between that and the temperature of the CPU or GPU but I could give it a try and see how it goes.

You did get me thinking with my testing though, I've got an awful feeling that the CPU block has either caught an air bubble or got clogged (with what I don't know) as the CPU isn't driving the coolant temperature up much and for some reason with handbrake / furmark going it's sitting at 63 celcius measured by AI Suite and 72 if measured by the aquaero off one of the hardware sensors. That's at a 25 degree ambient. I swear it wasn't that bad before.

Whilst I had no problems with rigid tubes themselves (everything else, but not the tubing) it will be a real bitch if I want to try reseating it to see if it improves. No shortcuts on this layout :cry:
Is that another Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX I see there on your desk there?

IMG_20171205_112947137.jpg
IMG_20171205_202016675.jpg


Gotta share mine! =D

Do you mean how to rename it as a pump?
- Or that is appears in the fan section of the menu instead of pump?
(For the record, my pump shows up in the fan section, but it's easily renamed...)
Oh yeah, I've already renamed it. I'm just wondering if being in the "Pump" category would give me different control options. Is it just Aquacomputer's Aquabus-enabled pumps that show up there?
 
Yeah that's not a bad idea, then I can just put an alarm on the CPU and GPU temperatures.

Really wishing I'd got the flow sensor I have to say. I didn't realise the pump wasn't running for a day or so at one point because I hadn't put the PWM Fan connector back on the pump and the cables were touching so it stopped, somehow the temps were all still fine even though I'd had VR running:eek:. Since then the PWM on the pump seems to be fucked and then with no flow meter it's all just temperature based for 'panic' mode.

Figuring when the consumer Volta GPU's come out I'll take it all apart again, replace the pump, redo the tubes / put a flow sensor in (and get rid of the f'ing "clear" EK fluid that is not clear)

Yeah it's the phanteks evolv,
2*360 Radiators, 1*EK PE, 1*EK SE

Modded so that the fans are in the front and top of the case rather than the main body. Restricts airflow a heap but it works fine. I thought about the vent holes like you've done but have been trying to keep it looking clean. I had great dreams for how it would look but I had an absolute fucking nightmare building it, with literally everything going wrong so in the end I just put it together and thought fuck it, it'll wait for rebuild time.
 
Yeah that's not a bad idea, then I can just put an alarm on the CPU and GPU temperatures.

Really wishing I'd got the flow sensor I have to say. I didn't realise the pump wasn't running for a day or so at one point because I hadn't put the PWM Fan connector back on the pump and the cables were touching so it stopped, somehow the temps were all still fine even though I'd had VR running:eek:. Since then the PWM on the pump seems to be fucked and then with no flow meter it's all just temperature based for 'panic' mode.

Figuring when the consumer Volta GPU's come out I'll take it all apart again, replace the pump, redo the tubes / put a flow sensor in (and get rid of the f'ing "clear" EK fluid that is not clear)

Yeah it's the phanteks evolv,
2*360 Radiators, 1*EK PE, 1*EK SE

Modded so that the fans are in the front and top of the case rather than the main body. Restricts airflow a heap but it works fine. I thought about the vent holes like you've done but have been trying to keep it looking clean. I had great dreams for how it would look but I had an absolute fucking nightmare building it, with literally everything going wrong so in the end I just put it together and thought fuck it, it'll wait for rebuild time.
Oh, I wish I could take credit for those vents. ModMyMods makes them. They're a bit of a wait due to the preorder nature, but well worth it. They really let the Evolv breathe. =)
 
Is that another Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX I see there on your desk there?

View attachment 47884 View attachment 47885

Gotta share mine! =D


Oh yeah, I've already renamed it. I'm just wondering if being in the "Pump" category would give me different control options. Is it just Aquacomputer's Aquabus-enabled pumps that show up there?

As far as I know you're correct - only Aquabus pumps will show up.
- But seeing as you have an Aquaero, there really is no benefit to having a specific Aquabus enabled pump. This really is meant as a stand alone for when you need all your fan channels and a way to control the pump speed.
There are some alarm functions you can enable using the rpm sensor on board, but I assume the could just read this information already even though the pump is listed as a "Fan".

Edit: P.S the VUE looks amazing. I'd try some too if only I could get some here in Australia!
 
Back
Top