Apple's Next iPhone

The screws and seams might go, but yeah, I think the final shipping product will look for the most part like that. Why would they put time and money into designing an extremely nice looking prototype case and then throw it away and replace it with something different?

Have you guys ever seen an iPhone 3GS? it has visible screws in the same location.

And I'm sticking to this being super sexy. I hate the current design, it's horrible. It just looks like a curvy candy bar or something. This new design coupled with a high res screen is pure sex.

P.S. Letter from Apple requesting their phone back AKA its real:

http://gizmodo.com/5520479/a-letter-apple-wants-its-secret-iphone-back
 
Hey! Why did you quote me? I'm the one who thinks this is what the final product will look like.
 
Read the story...phone looks absolutely amazing. I have been wanting to upgrade my 3G for a while now so I can't wait for this to come out. Day 1 for me!

I LOVE the squared off look to it...maybe because of the years of my rounded edged iPhone and now I'm just ready for a little visual difference but I hope they keep it this way.

Also, really glad to hear it has a bigger battery. The biggest problem I have with my 3G (and the same goes for any smart phone really) is the poor battery life, even with things like WiFi and Bluetooth turned off, and data pushing kept to a minimum.
 
The screws and seams might go, but yeah, I think the final shipping product will look for the most part like that. Why would they put time and money into designing an extremely nice looking prototype case and then throw it away and replace it with something different?

"Nice-looking" is just your opinion. The fact remains that it doesn't fit in with Apple's contemporary industrial design. Apple doesn't make bricks. They round off whatever they can, including broad surfaces. Just as the top lid of a MacBook Pro is curved, so too is the bottom of an iPhone.

There are so many styling cues and finishing touches missing from this design that I don't know how anyone can think it's a design intended for mass production by Apple. They simply don't design their products that way.

This is a prototype case. There's no other conclusion, IMO.
 
I have to say, this WOULD have been the greatest surprise this june. Gizmodo stole the biggest surprise from them. You guys have to admit that if no one knew about this, EVERYONE would have been shocked and surprised at the conference.
 
Terpfen said:
"Nice-looking" is just your opinion. The fact remains that it doesn't fit in with Apple's contemporary industrial design. Apple doesn't make bricks. They round off whatever they can, including broad surfaces. Just as the top lid of a MacBook Pro is curved, so too is the bottom of an iPhone.

There are so many styling cues and finishing touches missing from this design that I don't know how anyone can think it's a design intended for mass production by Apple. They simply don't design their products that way.

This is a prototype case. There's no other conclusion, IMO.

Have you even seen the iPad? It has sharp edges on the side.

I work for a company that designs tech gadgets and I highly doubt they designed that case just for the hell of it. I think it will be used. The layout of the internal components is highly dependent on the case, so if they changed the case even slightly, they would have to redesign the internals of the phone. That would be a costly and stupid move at this stage in the game as they wouldn't have ample time to test the new design.

Styling cues look similar enough to me... and the iPhone can't have an aluminum unibody like the iPad because it would kill reception.
500x_iphone10.jpg

ipadshots110.jpg
 
Last edited:
"Nice-looking" is just your opinion. The fact remains that it doesn't fit in with Apple's contemporary industrial design. Apple doesn't make bricks. They round off whatever they can, including broad surfaces. Just as the top lid of a MacBook Pro is curved, so too is the bottom of an iPhone.

There are so many styling cues and finishing touches missing from this design that I don't know how anyone can think it's a design intended for mass production by Apple. They simply don't design their products that way.

This is a prototype case. There's no other conclusion, IMO.

Here's the other conclusion you are missing: this is the new direction for all of Apple products. They are taking their most popular product, and making it the "halo" product for a new design set that will trickle down to all of their other products. The next macbook design will be more square, the next ipod will be more square, and next February there is a new ipad that is also more square.
 
meh, who cares? HTC Evo FTW!

Oh and ESPECIALLY if the screen didnt get any bigger. :p
 
Have you even seen the iPad? It has sharp edges on the side.

I'm not talking about the side. Apple products have blunt rounded edges, yes. I'm not taking issue with those.

Sorry, but the build styling and quality on the device in question does not jive with Apple's industrial design.

Here's the other conclusion you are missing: this is the new direction for all of Apple products. They are taking their most popular product, and making it the "halo" product for a new design set that will trickle down to all of their other products. The next macbook design will be more square, the next ipod will be more square, and next February there is a new ipad that is also more square.

Highly doubtful.
 
Does it mean this is the final design? It looks like a mock up used to test the internals. Then again we may never know. The biggest question is how the employee got to take the phone out of Cupertino.

I kind of feel bad for the guy. Talk about a Career Ending Move...
 
Does it mean this is the final design? It looks like a mock up used to test the internals. Then again we may never know. The biggest question is how the employee got to take the phone out of Cupertino.

I kind of feel bad for the guy. Talk about a Career Ending Move...

I don't think it's much of a mystery; he's a baseband engineer, and to really test out the baseband, he would have to use it out on the field. What this does indicate however, is that there probably is a new cell modem, unlike the 3GS which shared its modem with the 3G. He really shouldn't have brought the phone with him on a night he knew he'd be drinking; it's really irresponsible to handle trade secrets in that manner.
 
Mainly the large gap on the lower left corner and the fact they made one seam into two by separating the volume button into two
I don't think it's absolutely final revision hardware, but at the same time, I think it's fairly clear it isn't going through any extensive design revisions. The apparently nonfunctional seams will most likely be gone on the final version (if I were a betting man). They may have only been made to secure the mock 3GS casing in some way, just as the inset sides on the Zune HD are used to help secure accessories which attach to it. The volume buttons may stay as they are, though they seem to protrude to the extent where they may be an issue, so I wouldn't be surprised if those changed (probably to a rocker). The front fascia looks complete — nothing radical there. The backplate looks like it would be final: there would be absolutely no reason to do any engraving and polishing on the backplate to the extent that they did with this phone if it were merely a rough prototype. There's really not enough material for them to be able to bevel it to the extent that the shell is beveled on older iPhones, either, so I don't expect that to change. Practically everything else looks complete or at least extremely close to complete.

The concept that it goes completely against Apple's/Ive's design philosophy, however, is unfounded. I see very little to suggest that based on the pictures, particularly when you compare it to the iPad and some of its little design departures from the iPhone.
 
I really don't understand. What exactly does not jive?

I've already said what doesn't jive. Scroll up. I'm not alone in this opinion.

It's a prototype case meant for testing internal hardware out in the wild. It's not a finalized design. The iPhone 4G/HD won't look like this.

Does it mean this is the final design? It looks like a mock up used to test the internals. Then again we may never know.

I'm pretty sure that when Steve Jobs gets on stage at WWDC, we'll find out.

The biggest question is how the employee got to take the phone out of Cupertino.

Simple: he was testing new hardware in the real world. That's the only reason he would have the phone in the first place, otherwise he wouldn't be issued a prototype at all. The guy is a baseband engineer.

I kind of feel bad for the guy. Talk about a Career Ending Move...

As of right now he's still employed.
 
What's funny is that everyone is now an Apple expert in design and form and specification.

Let's assume this is the real deal. You don't think boatloads of people are going to line up to get it? If it looks like that when it goes on sale, I will spend the $ to upgrade from my 3G in a heartbeat. I think it looks great. It's amazing to me that people think this was a controlled leak. Really? Have you known about the company in the past 30 years?

I think it's great. Apple puts out what they think you want, not what you think you want. Remember that.
 
I hope it does look like this.

I also hope Gizmodo gets snubbed/reamed/raped/whatever by Apple for all their self-important "We bested apple!!!!LOLZ" "news" articles.
 
I hope it does look like this.

I also hope Gizmodo gets snubbed/reamed/raped/whatever by Apple for all their self-important "We bested apple!!!!LOLZ" "news" articles.

As much as I'm excited about this finding and all the exposure, I still think Gizmodo could've made amends with Apple to keep the info to themselves, and get the unit back to Apple without defacing Gary Powell.

Gizmodo/Gawker lost their Apple advertising after the Jobs' health fiasco last year, so if they could "keep their panties on" then perhaps they could start a long term revenue stream for themselves (strictly talking from a business stand point).

Clearly Apple is making a ton of money. This probably won't hurt their sales too much since this should be announced/released in the next couple of months anyway, but it puts a damper on all the typical Apple hype, and if Apple doesn't go after Gizmodo this time, I think that'd be silly - it'd be as if Apple is letting people take their property and expose them without putting up a fight.

I think this will be a short-lived "victory" for Gizmodo. I feel bad for the kid, who lost this phone on his b'day, enjoying himself. Oh well. At least I know that my $ is going to the next iPhone without any doubt.
 
500x_case1.jpg


If it was just a case they are going to dispose of, why hide it in a different case that makes it look like a normal iphone?
 
As much as I'm excited about this finding and all the exposure, I still think Gizmodo could've made amends with Apple to keep the info to themselves, and get the unit back to Apple without defacing Gary Powell.

Gizmodo/Gawker lost their Apple advertising after the Jobs' health fiasco last year, so if they could "keep their panties on" then perhaps they could start a long term revenue stream for themselves (strictly talking from a business stand point).

Clearly Apple is making a ton of money. This probably won't hurt their sales too much since this should be announced/released in the next couple of months anyway, but it puts a damper on all the typical Apple hype, and if Apple doesn't go after Gizmodo this time, I think that'd be silly - it'd be as if Apple is letting people take their property and expose them without putting up a fight.

I think this will be a short-lived "victory" for Gizmodo. I feel bad for the kid, who lost this phone on his b'day, enjoying himself. Oh well. At least I know that my $ is going to the next iPhone without any doubt.


A reasonable "break down" of the process, and why Gawker/Gizmodo SHOULD be held accountable.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/why-apple-could-sue-gawker-over-lost-iphone-story/19447570/
 
If it was just a case they are going to dispose of, why hide it in a different case that makes it look like a normal iphone?

To avoid precisely this kind of attention while they test the next iPhone. If you think a guy's phone is a 3G, you're not going to be too curious about it. If you think it's the next iPhone, you're going to pepper him with questions and tell Gizmodo that you saw the next iPhone in a bar.

Are you referring to your claim that Apple does not use screws?

I guess the concept of prototyping doesn't really sink in around here.
 
I keep hoping for a CDMA version, GSM in large swaths of the US (like where I live) is absolute crap for coverage. (ATT won't work outside my house, let alone inside it!)
 
I like the look a lot. I'm just waiting for processor and storage info before I decide to take the plunge in summer.
 
I like the look a lot. I'm just waiting for processor and storage info before I decide to take the plunge in summer.

It's almost a guarantee that it'll come in 32 GB and 64 GB flavors, a la the iPad.

I am now an Apple prediction blogger! :)
 
For all the talk about the design not being final, and yada, yada, thought this might be an interesting read:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...hone_design_was_likely_near_final_report.html

Quite. Stuff like the flat back is probably real, because rumor is that Apple replaced the back with a different material to improve reception, probably glass. Can't see them shipping a phone with a curved glass bottom, for a variety of reasons. The internals are almost undoubtedly final or near-final, particularly the massive battery. No issue there.

The problem is the fit and finish, as well as some of the cosmetic flaws. Seamlines. Materials choice. Some styling issues.
 
I love the flat back. It's more like a "traditional" candybar a la Sony Ericsson and my old Motorola, which has always been my preferred style. Slips in and out of pockets and bags easily, nice to hold.
 
I will be getting this over the summer, eligible for a free upgrade :) Will be a nice change from the crappy phone that I have right now.

The block-y look appeals to me as well, a part of me is disappointed in its specs, but I guess it doesn't really matter on a cellphone.
 
i'm gonna go on record here and suggest that the next iteration will look much like that prototype...and that part of the reason is because there will be multitouch capability on the back of the phone (hence more of the conductive glass).

feel free to beat me up about it if i'm wrong.
 
i'm gonna go on record here and suggest that the next iteration will look much like that prototype...and that part of the reason is because there will be multitouch capability on the back of the phone (hence more of the conductive glass).

feel free to beat me up about it if i'm wrong.

pretty sure Gizmondo said it was an all plastic back...
 
It's a composite material, more akin to ceramic than glass, and... it would be pretty stupid having multitouch on the front and on the back. And there's no way it could have a display on each side, that would absolutely murder potential battery life.

The composite material is primarily designed to be stronger than any potential plastic for the casing while prohibiting pretty much nothing in terms of wireless performance. Radio signals would pass through it like a hot knife through better, far superior to aluminum or metal backs of any kinds.
 
News update on the Legal side of this story, police raided chen's house the other night and confiscated all of his computers and hardware that could potentially contain data on the iPhone, at the request of apple. A warrant was handed down by a San Jose district judge, and it was executed by a REACT team led by Detective Matthew Broad.

Jason Chen was not arrested or charged with a crime. The systems were seized to ascertain if a crime was infact committed.

I would say apple is pretty pissed.
 
News update on the Legal side of this story, police raided chen's house the other night and confiscated all of his computers and hardware that could potentially contain data on the iPhone, at the request of apple. A warrant was handed down by a San Jose district judge, and it was executed by a REACT team led by Detective Matthew Broad.

Jason Chen was not arrested or charged with a crime. The systems were seized to ascertain if a crime was infact committed.

I would say apple is pretty pissed.

Clearly they're not happy about it, and I still think it's hilarious for all the people who thought this was a leak on purpose. April was supposed to be all about the iPad, the iPhone OS 4.0, and of course the iPad with 3G, not about the next-gen iPhone.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, WWDC is being held on June 7th, as opposed to June 28th as originally rumored. I just hope the official word is out on the 7th when I can get the new phone. My iPhone 3G is painfully slow.
 
I thought John Stewart did a pretty good job slamming Apple over this.

John Stewart said:
"Apple - you guys were the rebels, man, the underdogs. People believed in you. But now, are you becoming the man? Remember back in 1984, you had those awesome ads about overthrowing Big Brother? Look in the mirror, man! …It wasn't supposed to be this way - Microsoft was supposed to be the evil one! But you guys are busting down doors in Palo Alto while Commandant Gates is ridding the world of mosquitoes! What the fuck is going on?!
…I know that it is slightly agitating that a blog dedicated to technology published all that stuff about your new phone. And you didn't order the police to bust down the doors, right? I'd be pissed too, but you didn't have to go all Minority Report on his ass! I mean, if you wanna break down someone's door, why don't you start with AT&T, for God sakes? They make your amazing phone unusable as a phone! I mean, seriously! How do you drop four calls in a one-mile stretch of the West Side Highway! There're no buildings around! What, does the open space confuse AT&T's signal?!
…Come on, Steve. Chill out with the paranoid corporate genius stuff. Don't go all Howard Hughes on us."
 
Back
Top