Apples new Iphone SE

I think you're confusing something here. If the GPU is just displaying a static 2D image of course the resolution doesn't come into play, but start using the GPU and it will absolutely make a difference. HardOCP's tests are only idle vs maximum load and they very specifically test at the maximum settings they could put into the GPU. They don't need to say it's for XYZ resolution because the implication is they're trying to make the GPU draw as much as they can (although after the release of power viruses like Furmark, it's "as much GPU draw as realistic").

Are you thinking in terms of no-vsync perhaps? That's the only way I can see how someone could think lower resolutions don't use less power. You're literally asking the GPU to do less work.
You didn't read what I wrote or you didn't understand it.
A13 = A13. You can't make A13 use less power than A13 or more than A13.
Utilization versus utilization. If A13 is utilizing 80% at 4k and A13 is utilizing 80% at 1080p they are using the same amount of power. Resolution factors into it not at all. Feel free to change 80% for any number you like.
-
Edit, for clarity: You can make A13 utilize less than A13. But you can't make it use less power than A13. Power draw is power draw. There are no other variables. But even to that point of utilization, the SOC will always use as much utilization as possible to complete tasks. The iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max I doubt HIGHLY that there is a difference in utilization when doing the same tasks despite their three different resolutions because it will always use all the resources it can. Now certain phones may get more or less frames due to resolution, but not more or less utilization due to resolution except at literally idle with zero tasks being run and specifically the screen ON. If the screen is OFF then in that case again there would be no difference.

The power used by the display is the question. Which is where the difference is. Screen size, resolution, display type.

As for the battery life, if your expectation is the same then that's precisely what's wrong. The A13 is already known to be more efficient than the previous A12 and A11. There's not really any scenario where the iPhone SE2 will have worse battery life unless Apple packs in additional hardware.
You didn't read what I said. Do you have power usage numbers for any of their SOC's? It's impossible to know if the power usage from A11 or A12 versus A13 is more or less.
The A13 is more efficient per core than A12, but we don't know how that relates to A11 and we also don't know how that relates to number of transistors or die size in terms of power consumption.
-
Edit, for clarity: Additionally the A11 has 6 CPU cores and 3 GPU cores. The A13 has 6 CPU Cores and 4 GPU cores. An additional point is that the architecture has differences too. M11 co-processor was integrated at A11. And it's very hard to know what those take in terms of power regardless of more or less in terms of other co-processors have also been integrated or changed regardless of lowered power draw per core. Efficiency has definitely gone up, but components have also gone up.
On Wikipedia you can see that although the A13 is 7nm+ and the A12 is 7nm the A13 has a larger die size. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A13
There are 6.9 billion transistors in the A12 and 8.5 billion transistors in the A13. The A11 has a paltry 4.3 billion transistors and a larger die than A12 but smaller than A13. How all of these factors relate to total power consumption is incredibly hard to say despite their increase in efficiency generation to generation.

I kind of feel like responding to you is pointless. Because you're not responding directly to what I'm saying.

EDIT: Apple themselves state that the iPhone SE has the same battery life as the iPhone 8.
Quote: "Lasts about the same as iPhone 8"
https://www.apple.com/iphone-se/specs/

Last edited:
New to the Apple scene (if I went with this): On Google Fi now on a Moto X4. Would this iPhone work with Google Fi?

New to the Apple scene (if I went with this): On Google Fi now on a Moto X4. Would this iPhone work with Google Fi?

Yep -- you can't use the eSIM feature as an existing customer just yet, but if you have a card you can get straight to it. Just be aware that there are differences... it won't do that seamless carrier switching, for example! You do get many other features through an official Google Fi app, though.

Yep -- you can't use the eSIM feature as an existing customer just yet, but if you have a card you can get straight to it. Just be aware that there are differences... it won't do that seamless carrier switching, for example! You do get many other features through an official Google Fi app, though.
Using a nano SIM, that would be OK?

Apple is packing in addition hardware. The SE will be similar to XR, there are some take-some/lose some’s with the relationship but when right next to each other there is almost no reason to go with the XR now other than FaceID (which I have to admit I’d have a hard time giving up!).

Id expect the SE to match the XR in everything other than streaming over wifi. Im assuming that AX uses more power than AC and this is where the SoC efficiency may make them the same.

So for $200 less, you get a slightly smaller/lighter phone, same camera, better soc, WiFi AX and lose TouchID. That’s pretty f’ing good.

Using a nano SIM, that would be OK?
Yes.

Caveats:
You'll have calls, texts, and data on T-Mobile's network as well as international roaming. You won't be able to make calls or text over Wi-Fi, use visual voicemail, or use data hotspot outside the US.

Texting will work with some additional setup, but iMessage works right away.

• iPhone XS
  • iPhone XS Max
  • iPhone XR
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone 8 & 8 Plus
  • iPhone 7 & 7 Plus
  • iPhone 6S & 6S Plus
  • iPhone 6 & 6 Plus
  • iPhone 5S
  • iPhone SE

All phones must run iOS 11.0 or higher.

Read more about what you want on Google Fi's website: https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6224695?hl=en
All the info is there.
If you want additional info on eSIM on iOS devices then the Verge has some specific info here: https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/16/21223943/iphone-google-fi-activate-esim-dual-sim-ios

Apple is packing in addition hardware. The SE will be similar to XR, there are some take-some/lose some’s with the relationship but when right next to each other there is almost no reason to go with the XR now other than FaceID (which I have to admit I’d have a hard time giving up!).

Id expect the SE to match the XR in everything other than streaming over wifi. Im assuming that AX uses more power than AC and this is where the SoC efficiency may make them the same.

So for $200 less, you get a slightly smaller/lighter phone, same camera, better soc, WiFi AX and lose TouchID. That’s pretty f’ing good.
Macrumors did a comparison between those two models here: https://www.macrumors.com/guide/iphone-se-vs-iphone-xr/
For me, the other big considerations would be screen size (and resolution) and battery life in addition to the things you're talking about. The XR is squarely better in both (especially battery life).

The SE has A13 and slightly better LTE/Wifi. I would argue that the XR is better in every other regard. The XR as an example has an updated camera whereas the SE is literally still using the same one from iPhone 8.
Still, when cost is considered the SE is punching way above its weight. If its size appeals to you and it's battery life is enough (it isn't for me), then it squarely fits the bill. It's hard for me to want a bezeled 4.7" screen again though in comparison to a nearly border-less 6.1".

Last edited:
Yes.

Caveats:
You'll have calls, texts, and data on T-Mobile's network as well as international roaming. You won't be able to make calls or text over Wi-Fi, use visual voicemail, or use data hotspot outside the US.

Texting will work with some additional setup, but iMessage works right away.

• iPhone XS
  • iPhone XS Max
  • iPhone XR
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone 8 & 8 Plus
  • iPhone 7 & 7 Plus
  • iPhone 6S & 6S Plus
  • iPhone 6 & 6 Plus
  • iPhone 5S
  • iPhone SE

All phones must run iOS 11.0 or higher.

Read more about what you want on Google Fi's website: https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6224695?hl=en
All the info is there.
If you want additional info on eSIM on iOS devices then the Verge has some specific info here: https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/16/21223943/iphone-google-fi-activate-esim-dual-sim-ios

Macrumors did a comparison between those two models here: https://www.macrumors.com/guide/iphone-se-vs-iphone-xr/
For me, the other big considerations would be screen size (and resolution) and battery life in addition to the things you're talking about. The XR is squarely better in both (especially battery life).

The SE has A13 and slightly better LTE/Wifi. I would argue that the XR is better in every other regard. The XR as an example has an updated camera whereas the SE is literally still using the same one from iPhone 8.
Still, when cost is considered the SE is punching way above its weight. If its size appeals to you and it's battery life is enough (it isn't for me), then it squarely fits the bill. It's hard for me to want a bezeled 4.7" screen again though in comparison to a nearly border-less 6.1".
Granted I’m saying this while on an 11 with no cheeks. Really what I’m getting at with the comparison is that you can get a maxed out SE for less than a 64gb XR. The other things like the camera and screen are pretty small but the presence of the cheeks might actually be a bigger consideration than I thought. I still think the biggest loss is FaceID though. I don’t think I’d be able to go back!

MKBHD has been using the SE for a week and makes some valid points for a phone at this price point.

This new SE 128GB nearly $500 after tax. That is a definitely not a budget phone by any means..

I still have the original SE and it has held up. Just preordered the new one last night. I like a smaller phone and for everything I do the new SE looks good enough for me.

You didn't read what I wrote or you didn't understand it.
A13 = A13. You can't make A13 use less power than A13 or more than A13.
Utilization versus utilization. If A13 is utilizing 80% at 4k and A13 is utilizing 80% at 1080p they are using the same amount of power. Resolution factors into it not at all. Feel free to change 80% for any number you like.
-

Edit, for clarity: You can make A13 utilize less than A13. But you can't make it use less power than A13. Power draw is power draw. There are no other variables. But even to that point of utilization, the SOC will always use as much utilization as possible to complete tasks. The iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max I doubt HIGHLY that there is a difference in utilization when doing the same tasks despite their three different resolutions because it will always use all the resources it can. Now certain phones may get more or less frames due to resolution, but not more or less utilization due to resolution except at literally idle with zero tasks being run and specifically the screen ON. If the screen is OFF then in that case again there would be no difference.

The power used by the display is the question. Which is where the difference is. Screen size, resolution, display type.

You didn't read what I said. Do you have power usage numbers for any of their SOC's? It's impossible to know if the power usage from A11 or A12 versus A13 is more or less.
The A13 is more efficient per core than A12, but we don't know how that relates to A11 and we also don't know how that relates to number of transistors or die size in terms of power consumption.
-
Edit, for clarity: Additionally the A11 has 6 CPU cores and 3 GPU cores. The A13 has 6 CPU Cores and 4 GPU cores. An additional point is that the architecture has differences too. M11 co-processor was integrated at A11. And it's very hard to know what those take in terms of power regardless of more or less in terms of other co-processors have also been integrated or changed regardless of lowered power draw per core. Efficiency has definitely gone up, but components have also gone up.
On Wikipedia you can see that although the A13 is 7nm+ and the A12 is 7nm the A13 has a larger die size. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A13
There are 6.9 billion transistors in the A12 and 8.5 billion transistors in the A13. The A11 has a paltry 4.3 billion transistors and a larger die than A12 but smaller than A13. How all of these factors relate to total power consumption is incredibly hard to say despite their increase in efficiency generation to generation.

I kind of feel like responding to you is pointless. Because you're not responding directly to what I'm saying.

EDIT: Apple themselves state that the iPhone SE has the same battery life as the iPhone 8.
Quote: "Lasts about the same as iPhone 8"
https://www.apple.com/iphone-se/specs/
This is just wrong. Let's use PC Graphics card as an example: an RTX 2080 rendering 4k@60fps will use considerably more power & have higher utilization than 1080p@60fps. Same for A13. The SE will have much lower resolution -> for the same task (assuming 3D gaming), the A13 on the SE will use less power than the A13 on 11 Pro since both are capped at 60 fps.

Now if you remove all FPS caps then yeah, the GPU will render as many FPS as it could possibly do (4k@7x fps vs 1080@15x fps) which will result in the same power consumption between devices with same GPU / different screen.

Back