Apple Will No Longer Be Supporting QuickTime

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The really bad news is that it’s got significant security vulnerabilities, which won’t be fixed. Users are advised to uninstall the program.

The iGiant is also quietly advising users to uninstall the media player from their Windows machines to avoid being hacked. Word of the end of support comes from infosec biz Trend Micro. It discovered two critical flaws in the Windows build of QuickTime and reported them to Apple. In response, Trend told The Register, the iPhone maker said it won't fix the bugs, and is cutting the application loose. Both of the vulnerabilities – ZDI-16-241 and ZDI-16-242 – are heap-corruption-based remote code execution vulnerabilities.

Quicktime?
I don't think that has been on any of my systems since 2003.

Pretty much this. I found alternatives, and just avoided qt video when those stopped working periodically. rm was the only somewhat common player/format I thought was more intrusive, and worthy of avoidance.

Attention: Can people please stop posting about RE-POSTS? who gives a shit. And despite the feeling of slight importance they must feel, it really is annoying. It's kinda like the spelling police. No one want's them hanging around. Same with the re-post rent-a-cops.

You assume everyone see's all the content that is posted 24/7. No, people do not see every little post. It's going to happen, we get it, you want to point it out. Ok. And?

Go pop your pimples in private or something. Like seriously ......................

PM a mod and ask to get the thread closed if it bothers you that much.

Attention: Can people please stop posting about RE-POSTS? who gives a shit. And despite the feeling of slight importance they must feel, it really is annoying. It's kinda like the spelling police. No one want's them hanging around. Same with the re-post rent-a-cops.

You assume everyone see's all the content that is posted 24/7. No, people do not see every little post. It's going to happen, we get it, you want to point it out. Ok. And?

Go pop your pimples in private or something. Like seriously ......................

This is a re-post.

*wants
*sees

Kinda sad, really. Quicktime really was da shit at one time. I still think it's better than a lot of stuff out there (flash), but alas, open web standards are better for everyone.

Kinda sad, really. Quicktime really was da shit at one time. I still think it's better than a lot of stuff out there (flash), but alas, open web standards are better for everyone.
I can't wait until Flash is dead.

Back