Apple Warns Against Jailbreaking

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple's website warns iDevice owners against jailbreaking their phones citing instability, security vulnerabilities, shortened battery life, and other issues such as loss of revenue for the company. ;)

As designed by Apple, iOS and iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch are designed to work together reliably. Unauthorized modifications to iOS ("jailbreaking") can cause numerous issues to the hacked iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. Examples of issues caused by these unauthorized modifications to iOS have included the following:
  • Instability
  • Security vulnerabilities
  • Shortened battery life
  • Unreliable voice and data
  • Disruption of services
  • Inability to apply future software updates

perhaps they should just offer the option as a toggle in settings.

Yeah like that would ever happen.

• Instability
  • Security vulnerabilities
  • Shortened battery life
  • Unreliable voice and data
  • Disruption of services
  • Inability to apply future software updates

AKA the iPhone 6 feature list.

Ive never bothered really i mean what will it do for me on my iPhone 5 or iPad 4? they do everything i bought them for lol

I actually do not like people Jailbreaking their phones. A good majority do it to steal apps. I'm right on that aspect. The only valid reason that I can see that someone jailbreaks their phone is to keep using it past the time that the maker of the phone stops supporting it. If people were not bastards about getting software legally it would be a completly different story for me.

what more will jailbreaking get me? I can already tether my iphone with wifi hotspot, i just dont get what it offers aside form apps apple never "approved"

I've just never bothered my phone and tablet do all i wanted them too when i bought them, just curious what more the jailbreaking would allow me to do

what more will jailbreaking get me? I can already tether my iphone with wifi hotspot, i just dont get what it offers aside form apps apple never "approved"

I've just never bothered my phone and tablet do all i wanted them too when i bought them, just curious what more the jailbreaking would allow me to do

Like you said, apps that Apple never approved.

I actually do not like people Jailbreaking their phones. A good majority do it to steal apps. I'm right on that aspect. The only valid reason that I can see that someone jailbreaks their phone is to keep using it past the time that the maker of the phone stops supporting it. If people were not bastards about getting software legally it would be a completly different story for me.

Eh, there's a fairly large amount who do it to theme/customize their iDevice

Well, you're wrong. I have jailbroken my iPhone and have never stolen an app, nor would I want to. I can customize whatever I want on my iPhone 4, without needing the mothership's approval.

Well, you're wrong. I have jailbroken my iPhone and have never stolen an app, nor would I want to. I can customize whatever I want on my iPhone 4, without needing the mothership's approval.
He isn't, he said majority. My experience has been that people who have asked for help with jailbreaking either wanted to run thier phone on another carrier, or they wanted to run unapproved or "free" apps. Just sayin.

I jailbroke my old att@t iPhone so I could use it with T-mobile. There were also a bunch of cool apps that weren't "approved" I was able to run after jailbreaking.

Reasons to jailbreak an iPhone -

Too many to list and they range from legit reason to of course non legit. However the assumption that everyone who does it is only doing so to steal is asinine.

Reasons not to jailbreak and iPhone -
There aren't any outside just not wanting too. The reasons they posted of course are boogeyman level FUD.

Of course the easy solution is to own a phone that is a ton better.

You may not steal the apps, but damn near everyone I know that has jailbroken their iOS device pirates apps, and will proudly justify it. Much, much more-so than those that root their Android devices.

They should just post that it is illegal and if they detect it they will have you arrested.

It's not illegal if you bought the phone - in full. It's illegal if you had it subsidized.

That's how I understood it?

But really, what type of action could be expected - Prison time? hundreds of thousands of dollars fined? I wouldn't be surprised if it happened and someone was made an example, but still. I would hope that it couldn't be taken that far.

It's not illegal if you bought the phone - in full. It's illegal if you had it subsidized.

That's how I understood it?

But really, what type of action could be expected - Prison time? hundreds of thousands of dollars fined? I wouldn't be surprised if it happened and someone was made an example, but still. I would hope that it couldn't be taken that far.

Unlocking, which you're referring to, isn't the same as jailbreaking.

I do it just because I can. I haven't really used it for anything. But knowing I could if I was so inclined is half the battle.

I jailbroke my iphone just so I can run terminal on it with network tools. It's a lifesaver and saves me having to carry around a laptop.

Hiding behind piracy is a crock. The pirates and the hackers are the ones who get innovation done and force the software companies to keep moving and not stagnate. It's the whole the pirate wouldn't buy it anyways argument.

DRM and cumbersome "free" crapware is the wrong way to do things. Doing things like adding content and free DLC for paying customers is the best approach, on phones and any other devices.

My iPhone is jailbroken.

I have 0 pirated apps on my phone.

I do however, have
  • Faster UI Animations
  • Various UI Tweaks & Improvements
  • The ability to quickly toggle ALL my settings
  • Better SMS Options, Quick Reply, etc
  • The ability to SMS from Google chat
  • The ability to hide crap (Newsstand) from my springboard
  • Loads of neat tweaks.. turning my iphone upside down silences it, which is great for meetings.

I did it when the jailbreak came out. I don't have any intention of pirating apps. I've bought enough to fill up my phone and will continue to do so. But the UI is stale. So far I've changed fonts, added some needed shortcuts to the notification center, removed the carrier logo, and some other little tweaks here and there. Once I feel like buying some tweaks/themes, I will do it. I wish Apple would embrace it. And if nothing else, allow us to install some damn themes.

Well.. all of my Android devices are rooted and I've downloaded exactly 0 pirated apps. All legit.

I do it mainly so I can use Titanium Backup to remove junk and backup my stuff. The thought of getting pirated apps never crossed my mind, they are very accessible already, why not give some coin to the guy(s) that made it? That's coming from someone living in a 3rd world shithole...

Eh, there's a fairly large amount who do it to theme/customize their iDevice

Bingo! Custom keyboards, Winterboard, custom lock buttons, notification area, additional space for pinned apps...

Pirated apps? NONE. Ok, I'll admit a large majority of people do it for that reason, but not all.

I jailbroke my old att@t iPhone so I could use it with T-mobile. There were also a bunch of cool apps that weren't "approved" I was able to run after jailbreaking.

With Android I just needed to check the box "Allow installation of apps from.." to enjoy those apps that weren't approved :)

Bingo! Custom keyboards, Winterboard, custom lock buttons, notification area, additional space for pinned apps...

Pirated apps? NONE. Ok, I'll admit a large majority of people do it for that reason, but not all.

I don't think this is true. I wouldn't say a large majority jailbreak for pirating... I'd wager most people jailbreak for 1) theming 2) SB/NB settings type tweaks, and 3) network unrestrictions (like 3G unrestrictor or tethering). Back in version 2, IOS had a lot to be desired, and that list was much longer. But Apple has added a lot of functionality, making a stock IOS device perfectly useable. Once things settle down this week - I'll be jailbreaking my Iphone5, not to pirate anything, but mostly for #1 above - themes. Tired of looking at the default stuff...

Last I checked XBMC wasn't "apple approved" and several other apps that I use for customization also aren't "apple approved". XBMC is the main reason as I can stream video files from my NAS without having a stupid "helper" running on the NAS.

So people don't jailbreak their phones to Unlock their phones?

No, jailbreaking is not unlocking. Unlocking allows you to use other cellular network. Jailbreaking allows you to customize your phone.

I think I hear AC/DC's "Jailbreak" song being played on iTunes.......surely that's not a torrented mp3?

I jailbroke my iphone just so I can run terminal on it with network tools. It's a lifesaver and saves me having to carry around a laptop.

Hiding behind piracy is a crock. The pirates and the hackers are the ones who get innovation done and force the software companies to keep moving and not stagnate. It's the whole the pirate wouldn't buy it anyways argument.

DRM and cumbersome "free" crapware is the wrong way to do things. Doing things like adding content and free DLC for paying customers is the best approach, on phones and any other devices.

You can run terminal on it without having to jailbreak the device.

Hiding behind the Piracy and Hackers don't hurt businesses mantra is a crock. These people are not your friends. "They provided me with the tools to free my phone" you say. What they did was hand you a loaded gun that you can go and hold up the people that make the true innovation happen, the independent developers. And while you may put the gun down, it's still there and can be tempting to use.
So what may seem like a good thing right now is actually a bad thing for people in the long run.

Well if the stupid assholes at apple would allow me to block a phone number from calling and texting me, I wouldn't have to jailbreak their pos hardware. Fucking ridiculous I have to jailbreak, then pay $20 for iblacklist. God I can't wait for the new galaxy S4 to come out, I'm gonna use this stupid 4s I've got for target practice!

Last I checked XBMC wasn't "apple approved" and several other apps that I use for customization also aren't "apple approved". XBMC is the main reason as I can stream video files from my NAS without having a stupid "helper" running on the NAS.

Have you tried PLEX? It is, IMHO, much much much better than XBMC. It's also multiplatform , and now has a web based client as well!

You can run terminal on it without having to jailbreak the device.

Hiding behind the Piracy and Hackers don't hurt businesses mantra is a crock. These people are not your friends. "They provided me with the tools to free my phone" you say. What they did was hand you a loaded gun that you can go and hold up the people that make the true innovation happen, the independent developers. And while you may put the gun down, it's still there and can be tempting to use.
So what may seem like a good thing right now is actually a bad thing for people in the long run.

Single dumbest post I have read this week. You seriously need to quit believing everything the system tells you too.

god forbid that someone who pays a pretty penny for a device be able to use the device as they want.

Don't like those colors? Don't like how we setup the OS? Don't like that we block you from doing basic things unless you pay the fees we specify?

Here is a shocker - the iphone is not some universal awesome phone that does everything everyone needs. Power users, tinkerers, and just straight up [H]ard folks want to be able to control the phone as we see fit. None of us would buy a car if we were told we can't pop the hood and take a look, or change our own oil from time to time. Or if we dislike the pre-programmed radio stations, being told we can't alter them because it would "cause instability" you laugh at my analogy, but it's the truth.

Last iphone I had was the 3G -- under droid (even in the early days) it was such a freeing feeling to know my phone did what *I* wanted it to do.

Back