Apple Updates MacBook Pro With Faster Performance and New Features for Pros

Nothing wrong with that, however, I was referring to 1) the fact that AppleCare will increase the cost by $300 or so over a similarly-specced (and warrantied) Dell, and 2) laptops that have modular parts (RAM, SSD, keyboard especially) and are assembled with screws rather than glue and rivets are easier and cheaper to repair. If you get a laptop with soldered RAM and SSD, you'll have the same issues as the Apple if/when something goes wrong.

Both the Precision 5530 and MacBook Pro 15" I priced out had the standard warranty. Upping to 3 years of AppleCare+ for the Apple is $379 and upgrading the Dell to 3 year Pro Support with Next Business Day warranty ($239.64) plus 3 years of Accidental Damage ($118.08) and an additional 2 years of Extended Battery Service ($69.17) costs a total of $426.89 so including the same extended warranties for both wouldn't have changed the price comparison too much. Dell's accidental damage is better since you don't have to pay the service fee for it like you do with Apple.

Just a tip: if you're interested in buying one of the high end Core-i9 based machines and your intention with the purchase is to really make use of that processor, like for example using it for serious video editing/rendering duties, you might want to watch this video which shows some rather significant and rather detrimental effects because of this new MBP's apparently barely useful cooling system which causes the i9 to run crazy insanely hot and throttle like mad - well below even stock speeds most of the time:

As someone that repairs Mac's, a MacBooks cooling solution sacrifices practicality over looks, meaning they throttle easily. The design of the iMac is not only dated IMO and I hate that large lower bezel making it impossible to set up multi monitor without the use of phone books, but the cooling of the iMac is a huge dust locker, pull an iMac apart and they're always jamb packed with crap prematurely. Also, the flat ribbon HDD cable in certain MacBooks seems to fail very easily where they're clamped under the plastic retaining bar, I usually file that location out slightly when upgrading/replacing HDD's in MacBooks. For some reason, the mobile GPU cards used in MacBooks and iMac's seem to suffer greatly from thermal stresses, I'm constantly re-balling BGA solder joints on the GPU no matter whether it's AMD or Nvidia.

Personally, I think the Dell XPS series are far superior. The 4k display of the XPS15 is to die for and even the 1080p display of the XPS13 looks amazing. Dell will also sell me any part I require for one of their products. I can't say the same for Apple.

Last edited:
You say that, and then a few posts later explain that you didn't even pay for your own. Talk about pathetic.

Lol sorry that you're jealous that I get all my Apple hardware for free (laptop, desktop, iphone, ipad...).

I got my MBP for free too. I do buy iPhones, but that's just because my wife and kids like them, so I keep everything uniform. I could happily use a good Android phone instead. All I require is that whatever the phone platform, it's a good device. (still using a 6S though for various reasons)

Nope. I couldn't care less. What I do think is funny is how much of an ass you made out of yourself all on your own.

The only ass is you for being a hater of a product you can't afford and probably have no experience on. I didn't like Apple either until I started using the products.

Anyone interested in buying a Mac needs
Macs Fan Control:
https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Turbo Boost Switcher (binary):
https://github.com/rugarciap/Turbo-Boost-Switcher

This is all free and should solve most thermal issues.

The average laptop user doesn't care about thermal issues because they are not really aware of it.

I am very happy many people are becoming aware of just how little Apple cares about its thermals. Maybe they will start to listen.

For those wanting to their CPU core clocks I suggest Intel Power Gadget:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

Another good thermal management tool is
gfxCardStatus:
https://gfx.io/

No Apple, I do not need my dGPU to activate running right now. My iGPU works fine, generates less heat, and gives me hours more battery life.

I can't recommend a Mac to most users because of the out of the box thermal performance.

The only ass is you for being a hater of a product you can't afford and probably have no experience on. I didn't like Apple either until I started using the products.
Point to where I said anything about Apple at all. Go ahead. I'll wait. Dipshit.

Back