• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Apple Unveils Apple Intelligence

so maybe it's a good thing I'm still using the iPhone 13...won't be able to use any of the new AI features (which I would disable anyway)
The AI is opt-in by default. You need to enable the AI features.
 
Seem possible artificial from Apple to push new phone sales.

An Iphone 13 has more Tops (15.8 vs 11) than an M1 that support it, a lot of the chat-gpt will run on the cloud.
 
Apple has a list and for iPhone's. The only ones allowed is 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max.
I'm aware of that. That has nothing to do with my response. I was just telling him that it's opt-in by default ... when he upgrades.
 
Microsoft and Apple are just spinning their wheels now. Adding AI is like putting mustard on a hot dog thats been cooked on high for 14 hours.
 
The AI is opt-in by default. You need to enable the AI features.

maybe at the beginning...you never know if Apple will change that with a future iOS update...same way Windows re-enables certain settings after a major Windows Update
 
It is really interesting to see the shift of technical users towards Apple. I didn't think things would move quickly enough to leave so many users here flailing in the dust, but here we are. This thread is literally full of people actively using "AI" on multiple devices every day vowing that they will never use AI. In fact, many of them are literally writing that message from devices that neural networks have been a part of at every level, from being used in silicon design to delivering accurate search results when they type in "why is AI bad" to get their talking points. I attended defense Tech Connect trade show a few years ago where a senior VP of 3M spoke and it was eye-opening how almost all of 3M's advanced polymers and materials were engineered with heavy assists by ML. I raise this anecdote to help you understand that you are already using AI or products designed by AI whether you like it or not - it's here, it's been here for years, it's pervasive, and it's never going away.

Congratulations, you are officially the person using a plug-in desk lamp to hand-write a letter at night about how you will never use electricity. It's astonishing.
 
Last edited:
I'm not one. My computer is in my sig below. Windows 7. I have a iPhone 15 Pro Max that all I use it for is phones calls! Remove all apps. That means no text messaging and no weather app. No internet. I really remove all the apps that it came with. On the main screen is 1 app. The phone app. The screen is black. I bought it last October 2023 and never updated it. Not everyone uses there phone for more then what it is a Phone.

It is really interesting to see the shift of technical users towards Apple. I didn't think things would move quickly enough to leave so many users here flailing in the dust, but here we are. This thread is literally full of people actively using "AI" on multiple devices every day vowing that they will never use AI. In fact, many of them are literally writing that message from devices that neural networks have been a part of at every level, from being used in silicon design to delivering accurate search results when they type in "why is AI bad" to get their talking points. I attended defense Tech Connect trade show a few years ago where a senior VP of 3M spoke and it was eye-opening how almost all of 3M's advanced polymers and materials were engineered with heavy assists by ML. I raise this anecdote to help you understand that you are already using AI or products designed by AI whether you like it or not - it's here, it's been here for years, it's pervasive, and it's never going away.

Congratulations, you are officially the person using a plug-in desk lamp to hand-write a letter at night about how you will never use electricity. It's astonishing.
 
I'm not one. My computer is in my sig below. Windows 7. I have a iPhone 15 Pro Max that all I use it for is phones calls! Remove all apps. That means no text messaging and no weather app. No internet. I really remove all the apps that it came with. On the main screen is 1 app. The phone app. The screen is black. I bought it last October 2023 and never updated it. Not everyone uses there phone for more then what it is a Phone.

Hate to break it to you, if you own an iPhone 15 you're benefitting from AI even if you just make calls with it. People truly don't understand how pervasive it is; it is even used in things like adaptive filtering for call quality. It's use in noise cancellation for background rejection on calls. It's everywhere in "basic" things, Apple just doesn't fuck up the implementation of it so it is seamless and you have no idea.

As a non-Apple example, one of the projects my company did was utilizing neural networks to help facilitate spectrum sharing via signal discrimination - even if you don't think you're using AI, there is a ML algorithm somewhere out there processing your call data and using it to provision you onto one channel vs. another. And that's even if you're using a dumb phone.

If you want to truly avoid electricity, you'll have to unplug your desk lamp. But then you won't be able to write anti-electricity letters by hand when it's dark at night - so you won't actually do it.
 
Well a phone call is a phone call! And not the same as all the crap their pushing right now. I still won't update my phone. Camera's are taped off.

Hate to break it to you, if you own an iPhone 15 you're benefitting from AI even if you just make calls with it. People truly don't understand how pervasive it is; it is even used in things like adaptive filtering for call quality. It's use in noise cancellation for background rejection on calls. It's everywhere in "basic" things, Apple just doesn't fuck up the implementation of it so it is seamless and you have no idea.

As a non-Apple example, one of the projects my company did was utilizing neural networks to help facilitate spectrum sharing via signal discrimination - even if you don't think you're using AI, there is a ML algorithm somewhere out there processing your call data and using it to provision you onto one channel vs. another. And that's even if you're using a dumb phone.

If you want to truly avoid electricity, you'll have to unplug your desk lamp. But then you won't be able to write anti-electricity letters by hand when it's dark at night - so you won't actually do it.
 
Well a phone call is a phone call! And not the same as all the crap their pushing right now. I still won't update my phone. Camera's are taped off.
I get where you're coming from, but I just want you to understand that you are using AI when making a phone call. If you want to say "I am for AI when it improves my call experience but against AI in all other areas" then than that is fully your prerogative to do so.
 
I am still unsure if the buying the max pro 1 tb iPhone instead of a $40 phone just to be used to make phone call is real or some joke going on.

why, oh why buy an not only an Iphone, but the max thats take a lot of place in your pocket, one that has 1 tb of harddrive to put nothing on it.... ? Just to signal to others having good money ? That sound impossible. And why not kept the very first one ever bought, how did it get not good enough at making phone call ?
 
I am still unsure if the buying the max pro 1 tb iPhone instead of a $40 phone just to be used to make phone call is real or some joke going on.

why, oh why buy an not only an Iphone, but one thats take a lot of place in your pocket, one that has 1 tb of harddrive.... just for that ? Just to signal to others having good money ?
If you’re only making phone calls, then yes, it’s a stupid purchase.
 
Haha No where have I ever said I was for AI in any way shape or form. So don't try to put words in my mouth.

I get where you're coming from, but I just want you to understand that you are using AI when making a phone call. If you want to say "I am for AI when it improves my call experience but against AI in all other areas" then than that is fully your prerogative to do so.
 
So do people tell you how and where to spend your money or you have no money? You poor? I just like Apple.

I am still unsure if the buying the max pro 1 tb iPhone instead of a $40 phone just to be used to make phone call is real or some joke going on.

why, oh why buy an not only an Iphone, but the max thats take a lot of place in your pocket, one that has 1 tb of harddrive to put nothing on it.... ? Just to signal to others having good money ? That sound impossible. And why not kept the very first one ever bought, how did it get not good enough at making phone call ?
 
I would not suspected that one day there would be such a strong anti search engine, anti GPS road to a destination finder, voice to text, NPC in video game existing, computer playing chess that would occur, that blanket anti AI on computer is getting strange (which I guess is just the normal reaction to the strange amount of buzz around it)

It would be a stupid purchase if you where poor!
No it is true, showing to others you have money has value is not stupid (people pay a lot to do that every day), but going for the 256 gb instead of the 1tb would have done exactly the same know, people would not know you do not have the 1TB version ?
 
It would be a stupid purchase if you where poor!

I would not suspected that one day there would be such a strong anti search engine, anti GPS road to a destination finder, voice to text, NPC in video game existing, computer playing chess that would occur, that blanket anti AI on computer is getting strange (which I guess is just the normal reaction to the strange amount of buzz around it)


No it is true, showing to others you have money has value is not stupid (people pay a lot to do that every day), but going for the 256 gb instead of the 1tb would have done exactly the same know, people would not know you do not have the 1TB version ?

At lease I will not be around when to time comes to a end.

I hear Apple has some AI-driven writing and grammar improvement tools coming out soon.....
 
Improving call quality? So now you're just slapping the term AI on any computer algorithm whatsoever? Ok.

Personally, I don't need AI to sum up my emails, write my work emails, etc. I think there's an awful lot of hype, as hype drives the markets. I am free to be proven wrong, as has happened before.
 
Improving call quality? So now you're just slapping the term AI on any computer algorithm whatsoever? Ok.
noise removal is a common use of ML

https://towardsdatascience.com/real-time-noise-suppression-using-deep-learning-38719819e051
https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/nvidia-real-time-noise-suppression-deep-learning/

training-625x433.png


voice isolation on Airpods do use it:
Machine learning
Apple's voice isolation technology uses machine learning to differentiate between the user's voice and ambient noise in real-time. By processing audio on the device, it ensures that the speaker's voice is clear and prominent, reducing or eliminating background sounds such as traffic, conversations, and other distractions.

Coding a set of rules to deterrmine that is really hard (before AI they tended to use 2 mic, one the farthest away than the other and do a subtraction, but that was limited), ML is a non-brainer for something like background noise reduction, like image recognition incredibly hard to code with algorithm.
 
Improving call quality? So now you're just slapping the term AI on any computer algorithm whatsoever? Ok.

It just happens that that kind of audio processing is an ideal use case for correlation-driven optimizations, which is what is under the hood of most "ai" nowadays.

Which is also a good reason to be extremely suspicious of those 24hr/day ai features when they get implemented by microsoft/apple/google: they will be optimized to maximize the profit margins of the respective companies, not to maximize the benefit for the user.
 
Last edited:
noise removal is a common use of ML

https://towardsdatascience.com/real-time-noise-suppression-using-deep-learning-38719819e051
https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/nvidia-real-time-noise-suppression-deep-learning/

View attachment 659122

voice isolation on Airpods do use it:
Machine learning
Apple's voice isolation technology uses machine learning to differentiate between the user's voice and ambient noise in real-time. By processing audio on the device, it ensures that the speaker's voice is clear and prominent, reducing or eliminating background sounds such as traffic, conversations, and other distractions.

Coding a set of rules to deterrmine that is really hard (before AI they tended to use 2 mic, one the farthest away than the other and do a subtraction, but that was limited), ML is a non-brainer for something like background noise reduction, like image recognition incredibly hard to code with algorithm.

Exactly. This has been going on for years.

I want to be fair to the people in this thread that I am kind of making fun of - the media has done "AI" a great disservice simply by branding it as artificial intelligence. The term "AI" is such a buzzword right now that it is virtually meaningless. But generally speaking, various types of neural networks are not just commonplace but absolutely essential to a lot of the seemingly "basic" core functions of our devices. It is one of the things I have respected about Apple - they have been using ML extensively without resorting to the insane marketing that OpenAI, Google, Microsoft, etc do. But here we are; the market has spoken and people who don't know what "AI" is want "AI" in their products so Apple has to formally brand what they have already been doing for years.

So in response to Hawking's comment, no - I'm not "slapping on" the "AI" tag to standard algorithms. Rather, ML has replaced a lot of the standard algorithms for stuff like noise removal.
 
Yeah but that is what they say. His followers cannot afford that. It came from big Tech in Calif when he was there. No more Trumpy talk. :ROFLMAO:

I mean ... Trump did raise half a billion dollars in fundraising in the last week. So they seem to have some money. Also, please don't bring politics into discussions for literally no reason.
 
Apple cares about privacy? Since when?
Apple loves to collect data but hates to share it. Tim’s also getting paranoid as time goes on. Besides the more AI services they can manage locally the fewer people sign up for so the less data they share which makes Apples data repository more valuable and forces more companies to pay for Apples API to access the sanitized versions of that data.
So ultimately it makes Apple more money, while letting them claim they are doing it for the privacy, while simultaneously giving a big FU to Google, who is running out of tricks to get access to that data.
 
They better not get the trademark on AI
It's so sneaky. Ordinarily Apple would invent some new term for existing tech to give the hand-wavy appearance of differentiation but here they've just co-opted a widely used identical acronym for the same meaning (and even an existing AI company's tech here) but likely with the intent to trademark (if they haven't already).
 
Honestly this is pretty cool given that it’s integrating in and using the phone hardware first to do work. I figured they’d be lazy and just send all of it out for processing.
 
Compared to Google? I don’t even see how this is a non troll statement. At least you buy Apple products. With Google you are the product. Big difference.
I get really tired of people that do the comparison. It’s not even the same. Microsoft and google the user data is the product. Apple the hardware is the product. Just because Apple is collecting data doesn’t mean they are selling it, and they aren’t.
 
I get really tired of people that do the comparison. It’s not even the same. Microsoft and google the user data is the product. Apple the hardware is the product. Just because Apple is collecting data doesn’t mean they are selling it, and they aren’t.
I’m defending Apple, not Google or Microsoft. I vote with my wallet, which is why I have no problem paying for relatively overpriced moderate but reliable hardware in Apple products. I only game on a windows pc, literally everything else is done either on Linux or with Apple products. I do think Apple takes user privacy seriously.

When it comes to end user privacy I can’t even take Microsoft or Google seriously anymore. It’s just a no go right from the start.
 
This is going to sound horrendously hypocritical as an Android and Windows user, I know, but I think I agree with Musk on this one. Farming out your AI to a relatively young/unknown firm like OpenAI I think is not a bright decision. Apple is swimming in cash. They need to do this in house.
 
This is going to sound horrendously hypocritical as an Android and Windows user, I know, but I think I agree with Musk on this one. Farming out your AI to a relatively young/unknown firm like OpenAI I think is not a bright decision. Apple is swimming in cash. They need to do this in house.
I think ultimately they’d end up doing that if AI sticks around. Plenty of people think it’s a fad and won’t grow much beyond its current capacity unless major tech breakthroughs happen. Apple may be playing the backfield on this one to see what happens. They aren’t usually cutting edge, but they rarely make mis steps.when it comes to tech. There are some, but they don’t have the grave yard of abandoned products like Google does.
 
Back
Top