Apple Still Doesn't Understand How DST Works

For the upteenth time in a row, Apple has failed to fix the Daylight Saving Time glitch that has plagued their products since….well, forever. With all of those highly paid and super intelligent engineers on the payroll, it really is a crying shame one of them can’t come up with a simple solution.

To be fair, a lot of people don't understand DST: what possible rational reason we have for its use, why the US government at least keeps trying to change when it happens, and also why we have it at all when it changes the legal definition of an FLSA-compliant work week (DST was introduced after said labor laws). I've heard lots of arguments for and against and I it sounds like people inventing complications for the sake of complications.

If I recall correctly, I read in some person's Bio recently that some companies just tend to ignore stupid things. Buttons. DST. Stuff like that.

Nobody who works in the IT service industry likes DST, nobody.

My LG phone sets the clock one hour forward of what it should be if I turn on DST. I have my local time zone set correctly and yet it sets it one hour ahead of local time. I just change the clock manually instead.

All apple and android phones in the household updated fine

Where the fuck is my wifi ready microwave so I don't need to change the time on that?

people who had it work probably use time syncing
people who had problems probably have the time set to not sync and that leaves the apple method to do the changing.

I was thinking something like this as well. I didn't realize there was an option to disable syncing the time though.

Cellphones tend to just do this automatically over the carrier network.

what's the apple method? there is no "apple" method.

there is only local time (non-synced) or synced to the carrier. if it's not synced to the carrier it's synced to the internal calendar, which for anyone having this problem was probably left at the default cupertino time zone.

My phone initially correctly applied the time difference for DST, and it was correct when I went to sleep. However during the night, it changed the timezone all by itself from EST to AST (AST is one hour ahead of EST), effectively undoing the change.

As a result, while the time was correct when I went to sleep *AFTER* the changeover, I was woken up by my phone one hour early. Sigh.

My phone initially correctly applied the time difference for DST, and it was correct when I went to sleep. However during the night, it changed the timezone all by itself from EST to AST (AST is one hour ahead of EST), effectively undoing the change.

As a result, while the time was correct when I went to sleep *AFTER* the changeover, I was woken up by my phone one hour early. Sigh.

Better than an hour late? :D

Can we get my 1yr old son this feature, he hasn't "sync'd" either.

OT: My Iphone did fine.

any article that has a dig at apple, steve posts.

Crying less makes it easier to see through the (presumably less) tears....I didn't post this. :rolleyes:

i have yet to see anyone in this thread say theirs didn't update. nor have I heard / seen any of my friends phones not update, same goes for the other products in my house.

Hey everyone, this is a NON-ISSUE, Roliath and his friends have no problems...the coast is clear!!!!

Back