Apple screws up Appstore for older iphone/ipods

interested

Gawd
As of yesterday i can no longer download anything from the Appstore app with an old first gen iphone or ipod.
Basically any old apple phone 2g/3g or ipod with final OS 3.1.3, no longer works with the Appstore app.
Seems like this is global and affects all users of Apple iphone/ipods.

So Thought i would give [H] the heads up on this news.
If you are affected, dont waste your time doing a system reset, since it appears the problem is with Apple and not your phone/ipod.

I have not seen any other news site report this yet, which is strange.
I bet if it was an issue with the Blackberry or Android store it would be front page on most tech news sites.
Guess people just like to ignore Apples faults.

In case anyone is interested, here are some of the links about this issue currently being discussed in the Apple forums.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3574451?start=0&tstart=0
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3573774?tstart=0
https://discussions.apple.com/message/17017982#17017982

Last edited:
hack it, Apple will never see another red cent from me. Win 8 mobile is going to put the iphone into obscurity like what happened to the old Apple after they fired Jobs.

yeah a coworker just switched to a Galaxy Nexus instead of iPhone and he is a long time tree hugger typical iPhone user. He was going off about how he can't use the latest version of itunes on his macintosh because it wont run the latest version of their OS....on and on.....and he had this moment of clarity where he realized how restrictive that system is....

yeah a coworker just switched to a Galaxy Nexus instead of iPhone and he is a long time tree hugger typical iPhone user. He was going off about how he can't use the latest version of itunes on his macintosh because it wont run the latest version of their OS....on and on.....and he had this moment of clarity where he realized how restrictive that system is....

...yet will be the first to stand on line like a massive cock when the latest iderp comes out.

This is one reason I'm rather pissed at all the people, some with relatively storied history in tech journalism yelling about "OMG ANDROID 4.0 UPGRADE! APPLE SO MUCH BETTER" whenever there's a slightest blip in getting the latest android version on every single phone in existence. Apple can't even keep things running over a generation or two - I remember when as soon as the 3GS came out, OS versions for the 3G started acting cripplingly slow; unless you installed a hack on a jailbreak version that literally just told the OS it was running on a 3GS anyway - so long as you didn't try to use the new compass or anything that actually lacked hardware, it nearly as fast as the 3GS!

No company can support legacy devices forever. At some point they need to discontinue their support as it holds back the rest of the platform.

It probably came down to the majority of dev's not coding for the old OS anymore.

Our company dropped support for 3 about a month after 4 came out...

Move on with the times....

everything needs to get upgraded sooner or later
in one system your sort of forced to because it doesn't work, and in the other your "forced" to because its too slow

iphone 2g and 3g were not really good phones (i should know i owned both) at all, super slow
the 3gs was the first acceptable speed one imo

IMO none of the iDerps were really good phones. And as for "move on with the times", keep in mind it's barely been four years since the Iphone 3. That doesn't exactly make it Legacy. And even if devs don't code for the old OS, it's no reason to just then disable the app market on the device. If every company adopted that policy, Windows XP would be dicked, any mp3 players from before 2007 would be dicked, etc.

Back