Apple Says It Is The Underdog

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Apple vs. Samsung trial is underway and Apple has played the "underdog" card right off the bat.

Apple began day two of the trial between it and Samsung with opening statements depicting it as an underdog that came into the phone industry and changed the game. Harold McElhinny, a partner at Morrison Foerster representing Apple, kicked off the case by saying the company had bet the farm on the iPhone in 2007, and competitors (though particularly Samsung) proceeded to copy it, leading to big profits and lost sales on Apple's part.

The largest, most successful underdog of all time. The Top Dog of Underdogs, one might say. The King of the Red Headed Step Children.

Yes, Apple “changed the game” alright. Apples game was to steal 20+ years of other people’s mobile phone development.

Grandstanding won't get them them anywhere in a corporate trial. Not one person in that courtroom will give a fuck, they are only there to make sure everyone gets their fair cut.

Yes, Apple “changed the game” alright. Apples game was to steal 20+ years of other people’s mobile phone development.

God I hate this argument. The iPhone whipped everyone, anyone could have made it, Apple did others didnt.

God I hate this argument. The iPhone whipped everyone, anyone could have made it, Apple did others didnt.

Non-apple buyer here, completely agree with you.

Apple woke up the tech world (as with the ipod), by making their products easy to use for normal people, just like a DVD player (vs HTPC etc).

Their major innovation was't really technology per se (they have some tech) but more of an idea that tech products should be considered a tool/device instead of a computer.

imo no one should knock them for that. At the same time, Apple can't really attack the rest of the industry for following suit. Considering that exact same process occurs in EVERY OTHER market.

Personally I only support patents which are for specific technology/methods, not gui design but real honest code. Just as in other markets where for the most part the mechanics and technologies are patented and protected and to a much much lesser extent design.

So the Apple attorneys believe that a comedy act will win the case for them? Interesting concept but everyone knows that attorneys aren't funny. Well... they aren't deliberately funny, just unintentionally funny.

Usually at our expense.

Apple put a solid product and a very solid OS at the time

What made the iPhone a success was the scene and the apps they spawend... technically apple stole the idea that started with hackers and indie developers and turned it into the appstore

iPhone would be absolutley nothing without the appstore

True story

My first thought was "I wonder if they realize they're probably losing customers because of this bs..."

Then I realized that's just stupid. The people, like me, following this with great interest are doing so because they hate Apple and everything they stand for. They already weren't going to buy an iPhone/iPad on principle.

I hope they lose, and I hope they lose big.

I will also say that Apple as the "underdog" is pretty funny... At the time they had a death grip on the MP3 market (hand-held device), they had HUGE clout and cash.

Even without a previous phone they were never an underdog.

My first thought was "I wonder if they realize they're probably losing customers because of this bs..."

Then I realized that's just stupid. The people, like me, following this with great interest are doing so because they hate Apple and everything they stand for. They already weren't going to buy an iPhone/iPad on principle.

I hope they lose, and I hope they lose big.

I agree for the most part. The only thing apple did is step up the market for RIM, which looks like is going under, so i dont see where Apple is the underdog since they are on top, and have had a track record to sue if they cant get what they want for overpriced products. I mean who makes a phone with a glass screen and expect it not to break at 3 feet, my phone as feel from that distance and still works as it should. Keep developing Apple, until you make a phone worth a damn, I am not going to waste thousands on it.

When you say that the “iPhone whipped everyone”, are you implying that there were other phones around before iPhone came along and whipped them?:D

underdog-heroic-color.jpg

My iPhone is charged, I am not, slow, it's up up and away I go!

I agree for the most part. The only thing apple did is step up the market for RIM, which looks like is going under, so i dont see where Apple is the underdog since they are on top, and have had a track record to sue if they cant get what they want for overpriced products. I mean who makes a phone with a glass screen and expect it not to break at 3 feet, my phone as feel from that distance and still works as it should. Keep developing Apple, until you make a phone worth a damn, I am not going to waste thousands on it.

Samsung's new flag phone (S3) vs iphone 4S drop test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K7e9ebi41Wc

Surprise..surprise!!!

When you say that the “iPhone whipped everyone”, are you implying that there were other phones around before iPhone came along and whipped them?:D

I thought the telephone was invented by Albert Edison or Thomas Ford or something like that in the late 15th century and before that, people relied on the telegraph which was invented by Hulk Hogan around the time we were just starting to figure out it was smarter to stay in one place to plant and grow crops and cows instead of chasing wandering animals all over the place so we could have burgers.

The people, like me, following this with great interest are doing so because they hate Apple and everything they stand for.

Why exactly do you hate Apple... hmmm let me guess... they make money, create a solid product and market the shit out of it, protect their IPs, use foxconn...

Oh wait EVERY other company does the same shit, just hasn't quiet figured out how to print money like Apple... but they have the androidz, the bigger wifis, faster GBs, and don't forget its open source... but most importantly enough it doesn't have the fruit logo.

They said that they were an underdog when they came into the phone industry. They may not be an underdog anymore, in the phone industry.

I thought the telephone was invented by Albert Edison or Thomas Ford or something like that in the late 15th century and before that, people relied on the telegraph which was invented by Hulk Hogan around the time we were just starting to figure out it was smarter to stay in one place to plant and grow crops and cows instead of chasing wandering animals all over the place so we could have burgers.

Jean Claude van Einstein invented it. By "it", I mean invention itself.

when iphone first came out, what did everyone else have that was even remotely similar ?

in 2007, all they had were clunky small resolution screens (some resistive touch) with even more awkward keyboards. People were still using blackberry.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6452_7-6600061.html

I've never had an Iphone, but it seems the iphone1 put out the best user interface at the time. Then everyone proceeded to crib that interface.

Depends which planet you are looking at. On Earth, I suspect that there were even earlier equivalents.

What made the iPhone a success was the scene and the apps they spawend... technically apple stole the idea that started with hackers and indie developers and turned it into the appstore. iPhone would be absolutley nothing without the appstore
The first-generation iPhone didn't have an App Store.

when iphone first came out, what did everyone else have that was even remotely similar ?

in 2007, all they had were clunky small resolution screens (some resistive touch) with even more awkward keyboards. People were still using blackberry.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6452_7-6600061.html

I've never had an Iphone, but it seems the iphone1 put out the best user interface at the time. Then everyone proceeded to crib that interface.

The Palm TX, November 2005-2009, which looks and functions like Apple’s 2007 iPhone, was probably put out of business (whipped) by Apple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_TX

Don't drag Canada into this!

Come on, didn't Hollywood taught you nothing. You always Blame Canada (Copyright owned by the Owners of the South Park Copyright - is this enough to not get in trouble with the MAFIAA?).

Does that mean it's also really good at data encryption? :p

What?
I was making a of Cerberus the 3-headed dog that keeps the gate from the underworld, so you'll excuse me if I didn't understand your point.

Apple put a solid product and a very solid OS at the time

What made the iPhone a success was the scene and the apps they spawend... technically apple stole the idea that started with hackers and indie developers and turned it into the appstore

iPhone would be absolutley nothing without the appstore

True story

My brothers are big Apple fans and have had iphones since the first.
I remember them and others getting their iphones and showing everyone how amazing it was because it could make fart noises, lightsaber sounds and had a “level” app. I scratched my head but most others RAN out to buy one so I agree with you.

Samsung's new flag phone (S3) vs iphone 4S drop test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K7e9ebi41Wc

Surprise..surprise!!!

I can't watch that video, as I'm at work. However, judging by the way your post was written, I'm going to guess the S3 broke first.

Try to break a 3" ruler in half versus trying to break a 5" ruler in half. The dimensions aren't exact, but the result is the same. The 5" is going to break easier every time. If you drop an ipad compared to an S3, all other things being equal, the ipad is going to break easier every time.

Where does thou get cow seeds?

I don't know, but I've been told by a farmer that you can find them inside of something called a cow pie.

Come on, didn't Hollywood taught you nothing. You always Blame Canada (Copyright owned by the Owners of the South Park Copyright - is this enough to not get in trouble with the MAFIAA?).

If you never post again, we'll know what happened to you. :)

What?
I was making a of Cerberus the 3-headed dog that keeps the gate from the underworld, so you'll excuse me if I didn't understand your point.

It was obscure and I misued encryption when I should have said authentication. Joke fail...

Anyway, if you're curious... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerberos_(protocol)

I can't watch that video, as I'm at work. However, judging by the way your post was written, I'm going to guess the S3 broke first.

Try to break a 3" ruler in half versus trying to break a 5" ruler in half. The dimensions aren't exact, but the result is the same. The 5" is going to break easier every time. If you drop an ipad compared to an S3, all other things being equal, the ipad is going to break easier every time.

Not sure I get the point. The design of a phone is its design, which ofcourse goes hand in hand with its physical properties. Apple designed a phone as resistant (no more or less) than Samsung, dont they both deserve the same amount of praise / hate? It seems silly to point out size, Apple and Samsung made the choices they did knowing the ultimate size.

They both broke. Not surprising really, who would expect their smartphones to not take damage after drops like that. If it doesn't then it's just luck.

And Apple's claim is true, back in 2007 they were the underdogs. Hate them as much as you want but that's not going to change how the iPhone seamlessly integrated what some people call 20+ years old tech.

Back