Apple Plots Reboot of iTunes for Web

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple overhauling iTunes? We can only hope this rumor is true.

Apple is considering adopting that same model for songs sold on iTunes, a change that would give consumers more ways to access and manage their iTunes purchases—and wouldn't require them to download Apple's software or their purchases.

Meh, I'm definitely not o fan of iTunes itself (the software)... But I don't think I've avoided their store solely for that reason. Mostly I shop elsewhere (Amazon/Zune) because one of my older players won't play AAC files and it still works perfectly fine (Creative MuVo), I refuse to replace it just for that even if it'd cost me $30 to do so. :p It's actually held up rather well thru years of abuse during outdoor runs, the fact that Creative seems to have canned the MuVo line when inferior products like the iPod shuffle thrive is lamentable.

MediaMonkey is my best friend. iTunes is a pain in the ass. I have it installed on my computer at work and home, and sometimes firing up iTunes at one place will wipe out my iPhone's music library. Grrrrrr..

Yeah I know, I need to disable Music synching. But still, it just pisses me off when they do that. I'd go on my train after work and turn on my bluetooth ear piece and then find out my music is erased from my phone - again.

At least I have Winamp Remote on my HTPC at home so I can listen to my songs remotely :-P

If you ask me, that's barely the tip of the iceberg when it comes to iTunes annoyances... How bout the fact that Apple encrypts the database on a friggin' music player and forces 3rrd party developers like MusicMatch into an endless cat & mouse game after every major update in order to restore compatibility w/Apple's newly encrypted iPod database? Ugh...

I'd heard of Lala a few times in the past but I thought it was just some sort of streaming and/or front-end, I didn't realize they also sold music directly... How's their catalog? I might have to check 'em out, these days Zune is my only options (besides iTunes) since Amazon still won't allow me to purchase songs from Puerto Rico.

MediaMonkey is my best friend. iTunes is a pain in the ass. I have it installed on my computer at work and home, and sometimes firing up iTunes at one place will wipe out my iPhone's music library. Grrrrrr..

Yeah I know, I need to disable Music synching. But still, it just pisses me off when they do that. I'd go on my train after work and turn on my bluetooth ear piece and then find out my music is erased from my phone - again.

At least I have Winamp Remote on my HTPC at home so I can listen to my songs remotely :-P

This.

Itunes is horrible. Mediamonkey is awesome.

I hate itunes. If I had to use it I wouldn't be using the ipod touch.

I use Media Monkey for my ipod touch 2nd gen.

I use eMusic now for MP3 purchases instead of iTunes so now can remove iTunes completely from my PC. eMuisc is cheaper too because it is subscription based and uses credits and is not $0.99 per song but is 1 credit instead. I bought one year subsciption and ended up with close to 150 free credits by going through Microsoft MediaPlayer to buy from them. The downside is that if an album has loads of short tracks on it, lets say 20 then it cost you 20 credits, but if an album is only 2 long tracks, like many classical albums, then it only cost you 2 credits. 1 credit with my one year subscription works out to less then $0.50 per credit. Longer subscription then less credits cost.

It is about time. Expecting people to install iTunes just to buy something for someone else is ridiculous. I remember when I wanted to buy an iTunes gift card for a friend. The only way to do it was through iTunes. I don't own any Apple products and there was no way I was going to be installing third party software on my system to make the purchase. Could you imagine if every website you visited wanted you to install a special application before they would sell you anything? Ridiculous.

I've used that one and pretty much all of them but the one I am using now is called 1by1 and is a simple folder player, looks like a customizable explorer folder with media controls integrated. But if you want a really good free player that is more advanced I found this one from Russia that is really nice called AIMP2.

http://www.aimp2.us/

Pic on front page doesn't show library browser but it has that too and is similar to the one in MediaMonkey.

I use itunes aswell. Once you are aware of all the quirks its fine. I never delete my music library on my iphone or ipod anymore. Media management could be better but it works.

Zzzzune ;p
Overhyped. Not a bad PMP, but compared to the iPod touch? It's really no contest, although the Zune Pass advantage is at least worth noting. And this is coming from a Zune HD owner.

As for iTunes, I'm finding that the whole experience is altogether not that unpleasant these days. The app gets the job done.

Back