Apple Plans to Use Its Own Chips in Macs from 2020, Replacing Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

I hear the claim of apple super arms chips and don't really have anything to deny it, however, can testing be really oranges to oranges? Is an iphone chip being challenged by the same demands as a chip in a desktop?

2. ChadD

ChadD [H]ardness Supreme

You can run identical synthetic tests sure.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-8-benchmarks-fastest-phone,review-4676.html

https://www.geekbench.com/

Of course it doesn't tell the entire story... just like a GPU kicking synthetics in the nuts doesn't mean that will translate into X or Y real world game.

Still it gives you a very good idea of how much math it can crunch and how fast. When giving identical math to do yes. The A11 is a real screaming chip vs most mid range x86 chips. Give them another generation or two and the ability thanks to ARMS architecture to add custom ASICs and yes I believe apples arm machines could easily out perform x86 not counting things like threadrippers and i9s.

3. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

They are great, as long as I can flash them with a bios and install Linux, or Windows.

My Chromebox was a great little device with Linux on it.

Otherwise? No thanks!

4. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

Honestly, math crunching ability is pretty meaningless. It's not what x86 does, we have SIMD units for that.

x86 is used as an interface, and the CPU's that Intel and to a lesser extend AMD produce are very good at running branching code.

You wanna crunch numbers use an SIMD unit or boot it to GPU compute.

5. Neo_East

Neo_East n00b

Check this out, AMD's ARM flavor of ZEN, K12, reportedly outperforms ZEN x86-- https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...r-than-their-x86-one-ditch-bulldozer.2395754/

Another source, Jim Keller, former Apple/AMD engineer genius that designed Apple A7 and K12 and Ryzen, speaks to the innate architectural efficiencies of ARM that translate into performance advantage over x86:

ARM's disruption of x86 across all computing categories is academic now.

Server win over x86 will come from business model, customizability, and supplier ecosystem more than anything else.

Red Falcon and ChadD like this.
  6. Zarathustra[H]

Those are four year old speculations based on pre-production information from Keller.

I wouldn't treat them as reliable in the slightest.

7. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

This move will also bring BootCamp to an end.
    I would never buy a Mac computer with a proprietary CPU.

8. Red Falcon

Red Falcon [H]ardForum Junkie

Not necessarily, and "proprietary CPU"?
    Apple has run MOS 6502, m68k 68000 to 68040, and PowerPC 601 to 970MP processors in their systems since 1976-2005 - hardly proprietary.

It has only been in the last 12 years that one could run Windows or other x86/x86_64 based operating systems on their computers.
    At a minimum, I'm almost positive one could boot into GNU/Linux or NetBSD operating systems using Apple's in-house ARM ISA.

As for dual booting Windows on their systems, it all depends on whether or not they include an x86_64 core in their future SoCs, or if emulation of x86_64 code will be used or allowed.
    It is understandable how and why they are going to do this, and is much more advantageous for them to do so than it was in the m68k and PowerPC days, since those CPUs were neither developed in-house or, in the case of m68k, having the ISA come to a physical end.

You might end up being right about BootCamp, but I would be very surprised if they did this completely so as to lock out all other operating systems.

9. ChadD

ChadD [H]ardness Supreme

Well seeing as we are taking about things that don't quite exist at this point... boot camp loading windows arm doesn't sound completely insane. Not sure why you would want to boot windows anyway. But I guess people are in fact doing that. Booting Linux ARM builds should work assuming Apple doesn't do something crazy to their arm chips anyway.

Red Falcon likes this.
  10. Zarathustra[H]

Yeah, but that mostly defeats the purpose of bootcamp.

The only people I have seen regularly using bootcamp have done so for some light games or specialty software, none of which are likely to have windows ARM builds..

11. Zarathustra[H]

I'd imagine this would require some sort of x86 licensing from intel, so I'm betting against this

Red Falcon likes this.
  12. Red Falcon

Red Falcon [H]ardForum Junkie

That's a very good point, and I didn't think of that.
    Even so, it may still be possible to boot into other ARM-based operating systems outside of x86_64-based ones, but only time will tell for sure.

As for Windows, other than RT (or whatever is out in 2020), it might not be possible outside of emulation if your assumptions are indeed correct.