Apple Ordered To Publicly Recant Galaxy Copycat Claim

Don't try to use logic with the haters. It is above them. Besides, the sooner they die of their impending heart attack from needless self-inflicted stress, the better off we will all be.

Put it this way: Apple would be a threat to the Human Race, because Apple would be a threat to the Internet, because Apple would only allow you to view it through their interface. Therefore Apple will decide how the Human Race sees the World.:eek:

Philosophy: Anything else is an inferior copy which has to be eliminated.:(

Zeich Heil!

Sounds like the judge is a member of this forum and an Android fanboy.

Too bad Apple won't agree and will keep this held up in appeals for years to come.

It is much more likely that Apple copied the idea from Samsung.:p

Samsung have been developing flat panel display components (as well as full consumer products) for years. Such a display developer is likely to be able to produce a substantial amount of graphic drawing evidence, for a wide range of enclosure designs, going way back.:p

Put it this way: Apple would be a threat to the Human Race, because Apple would be a threat to the Internet, because Apple would only allow you to view it through their interface. Therefore Apple will decide how the Human Race sees the World.:eek:

Philosophy: Anything else is an inferior copy which has to be eliminated.:(

Zeich Heil!

That's a little bit extreme, isn't it? At least I can avoid Apple stuff if I don't want it. Unlike Google, which has its tendrils laid out all over the Internet through a pervasive ad service.

That's a little bit extreme, isn't it? At least I can avoid Apple stuff if I don't want it. Unlike Google, which has its tendrils laid out all over the Internet through a pervasive ad service.

It is important that you correctly understand the philosophy logic at play here, and retain it while you make comparisons:
* As I understand it Google is not trying to stop the other search engines from existing.
* Apple is trying to stop all other mobile web browsing interface devices from existing.

Contrary to Apple, Google encourages/needs diversity to survive.
Understand: It is not competition that it is a problem, but anti-competition.

Google might state that it isn't interested in shutting down competition in search, but at this point, search isn't generating revenue for them. Advertisements and ad placement through other websites are valuable to them and are the bulk of their incoming money. While search is a part of that, it isn't the only part. Also, regardless of what a private, for-profit company might tell the general public, it exists to compete and create money to pay shareholders while answering to a board of directors should it fail to pay dividends. I should think taking public statements like "don't be evil" or "we hug kittens just like your mother" with their due grains of salt.

That's merely the business end and doesn't get into the depths with which the bring them all to darkness and bind them. There's data collection through Androids (which Apple does too, of course) and there's data collection through Chrome, and data collection through search and advertisements. Nevermind the Google+, photo sharing, YouTube, and GMail. Google is everywhere...soon to be attached to your face with a camera containing an evil eye aimed at the world and a screen through which to inject thoughts into your mind.

(Hehe, that sounds a bit insane! *dons tinfoil*)

Google might state that it isn't interested in shutting down competition in search, but at this point, search isn't generating revenue for them. Advertisements and ad placement through other websites are valuable to them and are the bulk of their incoming money. While search is a part of that, it isn't the only part. Also, regardless of what a private, for-profit company might tell the general public, it exists to compete and create money to pay shareholders while answering to a board of directors should it fail to pay dividends. I should think taking public statements like "don't be evil" or "we hug kittens just like your mother" with their due grains of salt.

That's merely the business end and doesn't get into the depths with which the bring them all to darkness and bind them. There's data collection through Androids (which Apple does too, of course) and there's data collection through Chrome, and data collection through search and advertisements. Nevermind the Google+, photo sharing, YouTube, and GMail. Google is everywhere...soon to be attached to your face with a camera containing an evil eye aimed at the world and a screen through which to inject thoughts into your mind.

(Hehe, that sounds a bit insane! *dons tinfoil*)

You can avoid Apple now, thanks to that Judge, and thanks to so many people complaining about Apple. However, if Apple had their way, in a few years time, you would have to use their mobile/portable interface because it will be the only one available.

Google adverts, AdSense(TM) & GoogleSyndication, encourage diversity and help to pay for sites like [H]ardOCP to exist, and they don’t stop others from having a go. Yes, Google is capable of going the same way. When Google goes too far, then they will be next. Therefore, I suggest that you keep your critical mind on them.

The Facebook way is another threat: Facebook are trying to put the data of the Internet under their interface. Then they will then be in a position to decide what you see. Top Google search with the keywords “time spent on” fills out as “time spent on facebook”. “26 Sep 2011 – United States citizens now spend roughly 16% of their total time online on Facebook”

They are all potential monsters with the nature to dominate the environment that they have to survive in. The difference will be in how they deal with the competition. I say that the proper way to deal with the competition is to “do it better” (I mean at Tech not at Law).

Choice Philosophy: -

Red Pill) Anything else is an inferior copy which has to be eliminated.:mad:

Green Pill) Do it better than anything else.:D

I dunno I don't like apple, but I don't want them gone. The more companies competing for my dollar the better off I am.

Argument doesn't really apply when a companys goal is to limit your choices or remove it completely.

I dont get all of this apple hate myself. I think that android phones have ripped off apple big time. I dont know, but what i do know is my apple stuff works and my microsoft and android crap is shit but still use them.

I dont get all of this apple hate myself. I think that android phones have ripped off apple big time. I dont know, but what i do know is my apple stuff works and my microsoft and android crap is shit but still use them.

It is not Apple hate. It philosophy hate.

Try this slogan:-

:cool:Philosophy: Don’t kill the competition. Just do it better.:cool:

Gotta make sure to compare apples to apples. Not all android devices are equal. Most cheap android stuff does in fact suck. However the top end devices that were designed to compete with the iPhone in the same price space usually are equal or better depending on what you use it for. The iPhone is a good phone and suits the needs of many, but it is still far from a great phone.

Gotta make sure to compare apples to apples. Not all android devices are equal. Most cheap android stuff does in fact suck. However the top end devices that were designed to compete with the iPhone in the same price space usually are equal or better depending on what you use it for. The iPhone is a good phone and suits the needs of many, but it is still far from a great phone.

Yes, and our point is that Apple doesn’t want the newer Android devices to get any better.

Philosophy: Don’t kill the competition. Just do it better.:cool:

Yes, and our point is that Apple doesn’t want the newer Android devices to get any better.

Oh I know, I was just directly responding to his comments.

The top-end devices might have better hardware, but they still run the same, buggy os.

In the end, there is very little difference.

The top-end devices might have better hardware, but they still run the same, buggy os.

What buggy os? You obviously never read how everyone agrees that stock android is a great os until the providers pack it full of bloatware and bullshit. The first thing I do when I get a new phone is root and rom it. I shouldnt have to do that but it is what it is.

I hear the same stupid comments about android from all the ifanatics about how buggy/slow/outdated/crashing/slaps my mom android phones are yet I can do way more than they can on their walled garden phones. I dont care if you like your Apple products, but saying they are better just because is stupid.

The OS isn't buggy, the problem as mentioned is all the crap that the providers cram in. That has nothing to do with Android. Learn what you are talking about before spouting off blatantly wrong information. I have plenty of clients with Apple devices and their devices/apps crash/force close far more than mine. They crash about the same amount as most good stock android devices with provider garbage and less than the really terrible ones. If you want to know specifics I have a Galaxy nexus that is rooted and modded. It hasn't crashed or had a single app crash since I finished modding it 3 months ago. I don't know a single iPhone user who's phone is anywhere near that stable. Don't get me wrong, I actually recommend iPhones to any of my clients who are technically challenged and all they want is email, web and phone. I think it is a fantastic phone for basic users.

What buggy os? You obviously never read how everyone agrees that stock android is a great os until the providers pack it full of bloatware and bullshit. The first thing I do when I get a new phone is root and rom it. I shouldnt have to do that but it is what it is.

I hear the same stupid comments about android from all the ifanatics about how buggy/slow/outdated/crashing/slaps my mom android phones are yet I can do way more than they can on their walled garden phones. I dont care if you like your Apple products, but saying they are better just because is stupid.

I don't like Apple. But they have a superior product. I build websites for a living and recently had to start working on mobile / fluid websites. Android browser (2.0 and above), compared to iOS's 3/4/5 browser, is buggy as shit. It reeks of open source and half finished products.

Don't get me wrong, I love open source. I've been a *nix geek for the past 8 years. In this case, open source needs a lot more polish. Less revisions, and more polish. Period.

As much as I dislike Apple, iOS is is a better product. Like it or not. I speak from experience, how about you?

Yeah, they're full of shit. I'd bet 95% of them have never even used Android.

Pick up an SGS 3 with ICS and get back to me on how shitty and buggy it is.

I don't like Apple. But they have a superior product. I build websites for a living and recently had to start working on mobile / fluid websites. Android browser (2.0 and above), compared to iOS's 3/4/5 browser, is buggy as shit. It reeks of open source and half finished products.

Don't get me wrong, I love open source. I've been a *nix geek for the past 8 years. In this case, open source needs a lot more polish. Less revisions, and more polish. Period.

As much as I dislike Apple, iOS is is a better product. Like it or not. I speak from experience, how about you?

"Better" is completely subjective.

Basically, what you're saying is that because iOS is locked down, it's a better product. Sure, it's able to achieve a better software/hardware integration because all the hardware and software is produced by one company. But that's like saying consoles are a "better product" than PC because it only has one hardware set and it's proprietary. Yet, the vast majority of us on [H] have custom-built PCs...hmmmm...

What buggy os? You obviously never read how everyone agrees that stock android is a great os until the providers pack it full of bloatware and bullshit.
I'm one person who disagrees. Sense is better than stock android in every possible way other than memory consumption.

"Better" is completely subjective.

Basically, what you're saying is that because iOS is locked down, it's a better product. Sure, it's able to achieve a better software/hardware integration because all the hardware and software is produced by one company. But that's like saying consoles are a "better product" than PC because it only has one hardware set and it's proprietary. Yet, the vast majority of us on [H] have custom-built PCs...hmmmm...

No, it's a better product because more work and testing was put into it.

Open source rarely gets to the quality of paid software. I love open source software but I always have certain gripes about it. It's all because it's "free".

No, it's a better product because more work and testing was put into it.

Open source rarely gets to the quality of paid software. I love open source software but I always have certain gripes about it. It's all because it's "free".

So that explains why so many iPhones get bricked everytime they push a major update to their highly refined closed off OS and hardware. It is because more "testing" is done on it...:rolleyes:

Apple forums..every time a new iOS version gets pushed.

Wiped phones
Wiped contacts
Bricked phones..

Don't get me wrong, this problem is not apple only. I am simply mocking the "its better cause it is tested more" bit. It isn't magicial, it is a software driven piece of hardware and is subject to the same problems as all other software driven pieces of hardware.

you gleaned this information from the apple forums you frequent?

lol

The thing about this whole patent issue is that if Apple doesn't do it, one of their competitors will...and then the competitor can sue Apple.

Apple is just taking the initiative!

The thing about this whole patent issue is that if Apple doesn't do it, one of their competitors will...and then the competitor can sue Apple.

Apple is just taking the initiative!

BTW: This particular case was not about a patent claim. It was about the copyright infringement of an idea for a type of tablet phone. Effectively a copyright on a hardware design which could not be patented.:p

As for Apple’s superiority: Most of us older PC users remember when apple was not doing so well with their desktop computers a few years ago. Eventually, Apple had to ditch their inferior hardware architecture to adopt the more superior PC hardware architecture. Why was the PC hardware architecture more superior to what Apple was pushing? The reason is because Apple’s development philosophy had been holding back their technology. The PC was ahead because there was very little resistance to its diversity leading to things like case-modding, water-cooling, over-clocking and Linux etc. Thanks to PC Linux, you have the Internet, plus Android OS so Apple has to raise their game and lower their prices.:p

linux was and continues to be on the ppc and water cooling case modding doesn't have anything to do with the architecture

and "pc linux" doesn't have anything to do with android OS

How do you know?

Well, let's assume that both iOS and Android developers behind their operating systems are equally competent. While we can't compare them on a personal basis, we can throw all of them into two separate "buckets", and the competence level will probably be equal in both of them.

With that out of the way.

Let's go back to my initial argument. I work as a web developer. I've had a hell of a time getting my web apps (well, websites) to work on Android. Bug, after bug, after bug. With iPhone (3, 4/s), it all just "worked out".

So, what conclusion can we make out of this? Again, if we assume that developers on both sides are equally competent, we can only assume that iOS developers had more time to develop their browser. We could probably take this further and compare the operating systems on a large scale. But my experience goes only that far.

So that explains why so many iPhones get bricked everytime they push a major update to their highly refined closed off OS and hardware. It is because more "testing" is done on it...:rolleyes:

So, should we assume that no testing was done? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How many people brick their Android phones by flashing to wrong firmware, to wrong firmware revision, etc, etc?

Let's be real here. If you have a device and a million people use a replica of that device all over the world, as long as the software was tested on the first product, we can assume that same behavior will occur on all other phones.

Android is a lot worse off in that aspect. How much testing has been done exactly if you flash your phone to Cyanogen, or some other firmware? As much as the guy next door could test it on his phone. Which is absolutely meaningless, as he probably has a different phone.

How many people brick their Android phones by flashing to wrong firmware, to wrong firmware revision, etc, etc?

Let's be real here. If you have a device and a million people use a replica of that device all over the world, as long as the software was tested on the first product, we can assume that same behavior will occur on all other phones.

Android is a lot worse off in that aspect. How much testing has been done exactly if you flash your phone to Cyanogen, or some other firmware? As much as the guy next door could test it on his phone. Which is absolutely meaningless, as he probably has a different phone.

False equivalency. Apple has X number of models and variations within each. If there's a bricked situation when the phone was stock (not modified, jailbroken or otherwise)... then that's due to faulty testing on their part. Android is not some monolithic company with limited models and Cyanogenmod, et all... are not official firmwares. When an official firmware bricks an official device and it's coming from a company that has the luxury of having an absolute lock on their hardware... there's really no excuse.

Same story with their laptops. One update bricked many machines. (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/comments.php?enid=22556) Something like this shouldn't have escaped Apple's attention if there was QC going on.

So when you CAN say that Apple and Android both have issues with occasional firmwares bricking devices... Apple is certainly worse off in the comparison due to their status as BOTH the hardware AND software designer in the case of iPhones.

Why do you hate Apple so much?
Simple, Apple takes advantage of people who don't know better to sell them stuff they don't need while they are paying twice the price for half the stuff. On top of that Apple then tells those suckers that they are the tech elite and are on the forefront of technology even though most of those people don't know the first thing about technology, which is why they bought Apple products in the first place.

I realize that this is how capitalism works, but I despise Apple for so blatantly taking advantage of those who can't think for themselves.

Are you really that naive to think people that buy Apple products are that stupid? I know plenty of extremely smart and driven people at work who use iPads and Macbooks. They don't flaunt an air of superiority, they just use their products. I've never been "looked down" on as a Windows user. Apple offers excellent customer service and yes they cost more.

Are you really that naive to think people that buy Apple products are that stupid? I know plenty of extremely smart and driven people at work who use iPads and Macbooks. They don't flaunt an air of superiority, they just use their products. I've never been "looked down" on as a Windows user. Apple offers excellent customer service and yes they cost more.

i dont think that is actually the popular beliefe, it is just popular among the communities that like/love open platforms.

well you are comparing a normal software update with a mod that needs to be done outside of "update software"

i cant think of a time when an anfroid update bricked a phone but im sure there has been,

Back