Apple M1

i lol'd every time they touted the "3x faster than the best selling pc laptop" ie the $300 walmart special. good job apple! you finally got performance it up to 2015 pc speeds....

"We took the core of Mac OS and..."

Me: You mean Unix? Because this is still Unix.

"You can get faster framerates"

Me: That game has to be running at 20FPS...Maybe less.

love all the trolls coming out right on schedule...

While I hate this new age marketing... this is something big. Everyone thinks ARM can’t compete with x86 because it hasn’t been done before. Whens the last time you saw something the size of a mac mini easily driving a 6k HDR display?

In regards to mobile devices... instant on and off, native support for iOS and Mac apps... more performance, more battery life, more security.

Tell you what lets place a bet if its hands down better than the Intel units... what you want to put on the line?

Last edited by a moderator:

While I hate this new age marketing... this is something big. Everyone thinks ARM can’t compete with x86 because it hasn’t been done before. Whens the last time you saw something the size if a mac mini easily driving a 6k display?

In regards to mobile devices... instant on and off, native support for iOS and Mac apps... more performance, more battery life, more security.

Tell you what lets place a bet if its hands down better than the Intel units... what you want to put on the line?

I honestly expect these machines to run circles around the intel variants if for nothing else than having the OS and hardware custom tailored to one another.

My iPad Pro, while having a much lower core count, memory and GPU than my 3900x system, feels a whole lot quicker.

I honestly expect these machines to run circles around the intel variants if for nothing else than having the OS and hardware custom tailored to one another.

My iPad Pro, while having a much lower core count, memory and GPU than my 3900x system, feels a whole lot quicker.

Its certainly not a cheap device once you spec up the storage and ram but honestly there is nothing to compare it to when it comes to battery life to performance ratio

While I hate this new age marketing... this is something big. Everyone thinks ARM can’t compete with x86 because it hasn’t been done before. Whens the last time you saw something the size if a mac mini easily driving a 6k display?
That doesn't actually show CPU performance, but GPU performance. It's not actually that big a deal to beef up the GPU part of a chip to support 6k output, it just isn't generally done since displays of that resolution aren't common, though plenty could do it. The Intel 630 GPU can actually do 3 4k displays, which is more than enough pixels for a 6k display, but it doesn't support that rez on its display links.

Same kind of deal when you see a new chip that does better video encoding/decoding than the last version. Doesn't really mean it is much more powerful, just that they have silicon baked in to offer that.

Not saying this has anything to be bad about the CPU, just noting that it isn't related. You can drive a high rez display and have not much power backing it up in other areas.

I can call marketing BS what it is without being troll, right? So polarized....

6K? Try 8K. 8K support has existed for years and has been supported by tiny PCs for years as well. Even Apple has had it. As for video playback, Apple didn't bother to mention which Codecs they were supporting in hardware. I highly doubt it's uncompressed RAW from a RED rig.

https://software.intel.com/content/...neration-intel-core-processors-and-newer.html

And yes, I'm very happy ARM is pushing into the more powerful market. However, the Cortex-A78C is not going to be exclusive to Apple. Also I don't even think the M1 is using it based on the 4-4 layout vs 8-0 or 8-4 layout of the Cortex-A78C.

As for that security chip? That "security" chip has been used to basically prevent user access and infringe on Right to Repair.

I have the original copy of Issue 1 of Mac Addict and was using Macs LONG before they were cool. I still run an iPhone. But I can call BS when I see it.

Looking forward to actual reviews.... at least from the non Mac warrior crowd.

Honestly these look pretty cool. A mac mini... with Tensor cores. I mean come on that is interesting.

If win/tel was doing anything remotely interesting, this would be a whole lot of nothing. But seriously. Intel 14nm++ with a few half functioning 10nm laptop parts.... Apple 5nm completely with GPU+Codecs+Tensor cores. This chip is exciting.

I'm very interested to see where Apple ARM is headed, but I couldn't care less about their vague claims until actual benchmarks/real world testing comes out.

I can call marketing BS what it is without being troll, right? So polarized....

6K? Try 8K. 8K support has existed for years and has been supported by tiny PCs for years as well. Even Apple has had it. As for video playback, Apple didn't bother to mention which Codecs they were supporting in hardware. I highly doubt it's uncompressed RAW from a RED rig.

https://software.intel.com/content/...neration-intel-core-processors-and-newer.html

And yes, I'm very happy ARM is pushing into the more powerful market. However, the Cortex-A78C is not going to be exclusive to Apple. Also I don't even think the M1 is using it based on the 4-4 layout vs 8-0 or 8-4 layout of the Cortex-A78C.
You’ve seen zero benchmarks, but you already know the claims are BS?

$699 for that mini? :woot: They must be making a massive profit on those devices

lol and that $699 model only comes with 8Gb of ram and 256Gb ssd.
90% of mac mini's sold go to cloud data centers. It's insane.

Apple has been designing its own cores for years. M1 doesn't use Cortex A78C, it uses a variant of what is in the A14.

192KB I-Cache, 128KB D-Cache, 12MB L2 cache

There will be some magic in there. I wonder what compromises they made to get things that big. If it runs at previous speeds...

You ignore everything else I said... Ok...show me the exact PC and model cpu they tested to ensure it's 3.5 times faster.

Also I have a long history of using Apple products and yes, their marketing and claims are pretty much BS when it comes to the real world. You get an Apple because it has a certain program or user experience you like or need.

Hence the trolling... cant hack a new product just because its made by Apple. If it was Intel or AMD, everyone would be loosing their shit over it.

192KB I-Cache, 128KB D-Cache, 12MB L2 cache

There will be some magic in there. I wonder what compromises they made to get things that big. If it runs at previous speeds...

Could just be the move to 5nm freed up some design space. Perhaps that is what ARM really needed some higher transistor count.

Apple has been designing its own cores for years. M1 doesn't use Cortex A78C, it uses a variant of what is in the A14.

It will be an interesting comparison but nit sure it shares much with the A14 due to the core counts

In regards to the numbers

Apple A14
11.8 billion tansistors
6 Core C- 2/4
4 Core GPU

Apple M1
16 billion transistors
8 Core CPU - 4/4
8 Core GPU

In regards to mobile devices... the updated secure enclave alone will make these game changing for the corporate world.

Could just be the move to 5nm freed up some design space. Perhaps that is what ARM really needed some higher transistor count.

It's one of those logical conundrums. Size and way are directly proportional to speed. Those sizes are larger than I've ever seen.

I will proselytize one thing based on those numbers, frequency will be moderate. (which is not a bad thing just a thing)

Now you're just being a fan boy. Intel was eaten alive for the 9900K BS, and AMD was laughed at for their "It's really 8 Core" BS. Good lord...

So ur telling me if AMD or Intel came out with a new chip that doubled performance / battery life in a single generational leap that people wouldn’t go nuts?

Get over yourself, I have no loyalty to Apple other than them giving me a viable option to get work done while not having to run Windows...

So ur telling me if AMD or Intel came out with a new chip that doubled performance / battery life in a single generational leap that people wouldn’t go nuts?

Get over yourself, I have no loyalty to Apple other than them giving me a viable option to get work done while not having to run Windows...

I'm not the one who immediately accused people of trolling and started to attack others. Go look in a mirror before you critique others.

What chip did they compare to? Where are the industry standard benchmarks? How about we get a live demo at least like Steve Jobs used to do. Come on...

If AMD or INTEL made a presentation like this one with those claims I would be posting the same stuff. So sorry I laughed at your favorite OS company....

I bet the price is 3x bigger too.
Same price as before IIRC.

You ignore everything else I said... Ok...show me the exact PC and model cpu they tested to ensure it's 3.5 times faster.

Also I have a long history of using Apple products and yes, their marketing and claims are pretty much BS when it comes to the real world. You get an Apple because it has a certain program or user experience you like or need.
That’s my point, we don’t know so I’m not sure how you can call it BS yet.

I'm not the one who immediately accused people of trolling and started to attack others. Go look in a mirror before you critique others.

What chip did they compare to? Where are the industry standard benchmarks? How about we get a live demo at least like Steve Jobs used to do. Come on...

If AMD or INTEL made a presentation like this one with those claims I would be posting the same stuff. So sorry I laughed at your favorite OS company....

Yeah right you call them out immediately as BS just because you cant believe it and benchmarks aren’t out... how about you wait instead of running your mouth.

My prediction like most tech releases is the claims will be mostly true with a bit of cherry picked numbers like literally every other company does...

Yeah right you call them out immediately as BS just because you cant believe it and benchmarks aren’t out... how about you wait instead of running your mouth.

My prediction like most tech releases is the claims will be mostly true with a bit of cherry picked numbers like literally every other company does...

Again...the only troll here is you for attacking other people on this board.

@strelock: The claims are so vague that they really can't be considered claims. We don't know what they're claiming. They gave no details. Nothing to compare. 3X faster than what? A Z80? A PPC 601? Ryzen 4800U? That's why I call them BS. It's putting a raw claim with nothing to back it up and nothing to measure with. Now, if they name what their comparing it with, maybe it is 3X faster. But until then, it's just marketing fluff.

I understand a great deal of criticisms of Apple, but their processor team has been crushing it for a long stretch now.

This release may or may not make your jubblies stand on end, but it would be incredibly foolish to laugh it off IMO.

As well has comparing it to 1.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7/with Iris Plus Graphics 645, which is maybe fair considering it was a model available on the previous Macbook pro and maybe in line price wise ?

But it would be interesting to see comparison with higher models and Ryzen APU.

I have some Mac Mini's that I use for caching updates requested by iOS devices. I have 2 older ones that are due to be replaced next summer so I will happily grab 2 of these new ones to test in their place.

As well has comparing it to 1.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7/with Iris Plus Graphics 645, which is maybe fair considering it was a model available on the previous Macbook pro and maybe in line price wise ?

But it would be interesting to see comparison with higher models and Ryzen APU.

Keep in mind this is only the first gen and trageting the lowest mobile entry points where such chips reside...

I personally expect the desktop systems and 16” Macbook Pro to have another more powerful variant of this chip or possibly more than 1?

Back