Apple Loses Its Shine

You go man !!!

Everyone knows Apple has been dead since what, 1989 !

It was dead from 85 till 97, when Steve Jobs showed up and suggested colored plastic being added to computer cases. That's pretty much the line of thinking he followed forward, focusing more on trendiness than function, leading to the elitist mindset of their devoted followers.

It was dead from 85 till 97, when Steve Jobs showed up and suggested colored plastic being added to computer cases. That's pretty much the line of thinking he followed forward, focusing more on trendiness than function, leading to the elitist mindset of their devoted followers.

Are you still using boring beige computer cases then?

Are you still using boring beige computer cases then?

Nope. Boring black computer cases designed for easy replacements of innards. About the opposite of everything Apple has ever produced.

They have gone from innovation to litigation as a business model and it isnt working out for them.

And obviously he was right. Look where he took the company. Without him I dont think they will do as well.

And obviously he was right. Look where he took the company. Without him I dont think they will do as well.

For a time, until someone else obsessed with the superficial comes along and strikes the right chord with shallow consumers. Then they'll be back on top.

I think we will see < $250 by the end of next year, especially if the Obama tax increases push us into another recession.

unless taxes go up (and businesses actually pay the taxes theyre supposed to), the deficit will keep getting bigger, and the whole table of cards will fall in on itself...

Apple needs to invest in improving it's services to go along with it's hardware. Without Google's support their services offering is pretty weak. It's also why Google isn't supporting Windows Phone since Microsoft already has strong services in place to accompany the phone.

Anyway they haven't made anything I have wanted since the 3GS, and I didn't really want that so I'm not surprised they are losing value, lack of massive jumps forward with products equaled lack of interest for me to keep on buying Apple phones.

unless taxes go up (and businesses actually pay the taxes theyre supposed to), the deficit will keep getting bigger, and the whole table of cards will fall in on itself...

Go ahead and raise taxes, and the deficit will get even bigger.
People & companies will spend even more money & time trying to avoid the higher tax rates, instead of trying to be more productive.

As mentioned before, this isn't surprising or even a big deal. Apple's stock was over valued. There isn't any arguing this. Their stock is just settling down to where it should be now that some of the hype is dying down. Nothing to see here, good time to sell some shares for gains and keep some for long term. Or sell it all and wait until it starts to rise again and buy more.

I was wondering when their stock valuation would drop back down into the realm of reality. Their $600-700 valuation was made of of nothing but investors hopes and dreams.

Go ahead and raise taxes, and the deficit will get even bigger.
People & companies will spend even more money & time trying to avoid the higher tax rates, instead of trying to be more productive.

Maybe we should just set taxes to the same levels they were at before this country ever had a decifit to worry about.

(Hint. That would be during the 1960s. When the top tax bracket was over 60%. It's currently hovering around 13%. There was a REASON things were infrastructurally more sound then...)

It's several issues combined.

1. Stock was way over priced at $700+ per share.
2. Lack of new inovative products.
3. With the tax increases coming next year, alot of people decided to take thier profits this year.
4. The stock now dropped so much that we are now seeing panic selling as people start to bail.

I think we will see < $250 by the end of next year, especially if the Obama tax increases push us into another recession.

I think this right, although the stock will likely stabilize soon (I doubt it will go below $300 -- in fact the $400s might be reasonable). People forget that the stock has been a reliable money maker for years now. Many mutual funds and investment firms bought into Apple and are now selling to avoid capital gains tax increases.

I think that people are worried about the company's future without Jobs though. As others have said, there isn't a new Apple product that pushes the market the way they have been in the past few years. And lets face it, as Apple products become more and more ubiquitous, the lose that 'cool factor'. When Jobs told people that the next Apple device was cool, they listened. Without him, the products have to stand on their own, and without the appeal of a bold new idea the competing products have caught up.

The stock will have a hard time recovering, and we all know that once the public opinion of a company shifts toward the negative it's hard recover.

when Jobs was around, they didn't 'innovate' either.

they just went from one iteration of iphone to the next. same shit, faster components.

their whole innovation strategy is thinner this, lighter that.

But give apple credit. They have the best or second best specs for these gadgets, and they're forcing competitors to keep up.
Qualcomm and nvidia have to push out their cpu's faster now with the A6x released.

I'll be buying when the stock bottoms out.

I don't care what you think of Apple, they make great products that sell spectacularly.

Apple did try to innovate again by integrating siri into their devices. Too bad you can't rely on siri to replace typical function and the siri name/use is already an after thought.

If siri would have been that "killer" software apple wanted it to be they would be alone forever on top of the hill. Now it looks like they are scrambling to have "that service" you can't get anywhere else but them.

Siriously? Andorid had voice command from day #1 of its public release and Siri was purchased by apple then neutered. Steve Wozniak even has a youtube video out about how well Siri worked when he got the original copy vs the final apple release that sucked. Buying some IP to emulate something a competitor was already doing and making the IP worse after dumping untold millions into it is not what I would call innovation.

Siriously? Andorid had voice command from day #1 of its public release and Siri was purchased by apple then neutered. Steve Wozniak even has a youtube video out about how well Siri worked when he got the original copy vs the final apple release that sucked. Buying some IP to emulate something a competitor was already doing and making the IP worse after dumping untold millions into it is not what I would call innovation.

Did you just skip all the way to end or something?

Anyways, everyone and their grandma knows that Android had voice command, that was wishy washy and was only really good for voice to text, but it didn't have anything that was as good as Siri.

If Apple had gotten Siri integrated into their eco system it would of king bitch. But like you said Apple got ahold of it and neutered it, ruined it, started to make it slightly better then gave up on it, at least thats what it seems.

So yes, that was Apples last attempt, if they had Siri work across their closed garden network it would of been epic. Most people I know that had an iPhone4 (liked it) bought into the whole iPhone4S and the increased Siri magic. Most are now all on Android (S3 or Note II for the most part) or decided to sell their iPhone5 upgrade phone. I know 2 co-workers who sold their phone for $900+ on ebay.

Maybe we should just set taxes to the same levels they were at before this country ever had a decifit to worry about.

(Hint. That would be during the 1960s. When the top tax bracket was over 60%. It's currently hovering around 13%. There was a REASON things were infrastructurally more sound then...)

I'd go for that, as long as you also index the rate for inflation (hint: most people would pay almost nothing), and included all the tax shelters and write-offs (hint: most the rich would be paying less than do now).

I'll be buying when the stock bottoms out.

I don't care what you think of Apple, they make great products that sell spectacularly.

It could have bottomed today. There is positive divergence on the 60 minute MACD with respect to price.

enhanced-buzz-10824-1352997726-4.jpg

This guy apparently didn't get the memo:p

It could have bottomed today. There is positive divergence on the 60 minute MACD with respect to price.

I just checked it after I made that post. It was down to 505 last time I looked and see it came up. I think it may have bottomed too.

I think you should pay attention to the stock market more. It's always up and down in small chunks, then the big chunks happen randomly. I highly doubt it's bottomed out. I expect it to bottom out around 410 and then stay relatively stable there. After that, with the way Android is doing, it'll probably continue dropping down to around 350 for the next 2-3 years.

It's definitely not a good time to buy Apple atm.

Apple doesn't innovate. They acquire. When they can't acquire, they litigate.

It is nothing more than a cult in which idiots are convinced to spend 2x-3x more than what a computer is worth to purchase one because it is "shiny".

It is nothing more than a cult in which idiots are convinced to spend 2x-3x more than what a computer is worth to purchase one because it is "shiny".

So yeah, not a huge Apple fan, but the idea of "worth" is totally subjective. If someone is willing to pay whatever the price is for something, then its worth that price to them. It's nothing to get yourself all excited about. I could totally say the same thing, that a person is in a cult of idiots, about someone who pays for cable television service just so they can watch fat guys in plastic shoulder pads slap each other on their big behinds and climb on t:eek:p of each other in a big, sweaty pile using the excuse that they're trying to "get the ball" from the other guy to be there.

Examples?

These guys compare the Macbook Pro to some cheap $400 Dell because after all, they are equal, they both say i5 right?

I find it ironic that it is people who should know much more than a processor makes a laptop (full blown computer) make these claims. The CPU is very little of the equation but for Apple haters, they blindly ignore this factor.

I mean, the LCD, touchpad, keyboard (backlit), battery life, build quality, and reliability somehow don't factor into this and why would they? I mean, lets not let facts get in the way of Apple hatred.

Anyway, Apple stock is up again today. I think the next time hardocp posts one of these articles, time to buy. Both this and the last article appeared on the day the stock bottomed (for the short term at least).

I misread that as "Apple loses it's shrine" and thinking that I didn't know they had one, but also that it would not surprise me if they did.

These guys compare the Macbook Pro to some cheap $400 Dell because after all, they are equal, they both say i5 right?

I find it ironic that it is people who should know much more than a processor makes a laptop (full blown computer) make these claims. The CPU is very little of the equation but for Apple haters, they blindly ignore this factor.

I mean, the LCD, touchpad, keyboard (backlit), battery life, build quality, and reliability somehow don't factor into this and why would they? I mean, lets not let facts get in the way of Apple hatred.

Anyway, Apple stock is up again today. I think the next time hardocp posts one of these articles, time to buy. Both this and the last article appeared on the day the stock bottomed (for the short term at least).

Actually I usually compare the Macbook Pro to a Dell Precision or an HP Elitebook.

For $3500 you can get either :

Dell Precision M4700 :

* 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM Processor
* 5 Year ProSupport with 5 Year NBD Limited Onsite Service After Remote Diagnosis
* 16.0GB, DDR3-1866MHz SDRAM, 4 DIMMS
* 512GB SSD
* NVIDIA® Quadro® K2000M with 2GB GDDR3
* DVD-RW + Bluray (Built-in)
* Built in gigabit ethernet
* Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 802.11n 3x3 Half Mini-card
* Internal English Backlit Dual Pointing Keyboard for Windows® 8 (Anti-microbial, spill resistant)
* User replaceable storage
* User replaceable RAM
* User replaceable battery
* User replaceable screen
* Multiple mouse buttons (Three to be precise; iseful when doing actual work)
* MIL-STD-810 compliant design (Military grade construction)

Macbook Pro Retina :

* 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
* 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
* Geforce GT650M, 1GB
* 512GB SSD
* Broadcom wireless
* "Retina" display (Hopefully made by Samsung as the LG ones have image persistence)
* No optical disc drive
* No gigabit ethernet (or ethernet at all for that matter)
* Non-standard storage form factor (Want to upgrade? Just buy a new laptop! Cha-ching!)
* RAM soldered to motherboard (Want to upgrade? Just buy a new laptop! Cha-ching!)
* Battery is glued in (Want to replace your battery? Apple store, here we come! Cha-ching!)
* Screen is glued to the frame
* One mouse button
* Flimsy aluminum
* Non-standard EFI

I prefer Google Now. You don't even have to tell it anything; it predicts what you want. Much better than hoping that Siri will understand what you say.

I prefer Google Now. You don't even have to tell it anything; it predicts what you want. Much better than hoping that Siri will understand what you say.

Robin works well too. I use both and they are great.

Actually I usually compare the Macbook Pro to a Dell Precision or an HP Elitebook.

Dell Precision M4700 :

At least your comparison is fair.

But I have to say, Apple is catering to a different market.
98% of laptop buyers won't be upgrading their laptops during their life nor do most people (except for the Apple die hards who buy their 17" Macbooks for $2500+) expect to do heavy duty work on them.
Apple has their high end Pro tower line but I know nothing about it. I would hope that anyone who wants to do heavy duty work would be buying a desktop anyway. Not sure if you can upgrade Apple Pro workstations but I'd be surprised if you couldn't since their marketing to the audience which might want to do just that.

Dell Precision M4700 :

* 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM Processor
* 5 Year ProSupport with 5 Year NBD Limited Onsite Service After Remote Diagnosis
* 16.0GB, DDR3-1866MHz SDRAM, 4 DIMMS
* 512GB SSD
* NVIDIA® Quadro® K2000M with 2GB GDDR3
* DVD-RW + Bluray (Built-in)
* Built in gigabit ethernet
* Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 802.11n 3x3 Half Mini-card
* Internal English Backlit Dual Pointing Keyboard for Windows® 8 (Anti-microbial, spill resistant)
* User replaceable storage
* User replaceable RAM
* User replaceable battery
* User replaceable screen
* Multiple mouse buttons (Three to be precise; iseful when doing actual work)
* MIL-STD-810 compliant design (Military grade construction)

Macbook Pro Retina :

* 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
* 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
* Geforce GT650M, 1GB
* 512GB SSD
* Broadcom wireless
* "Retina" display (Hopefully made by Samsung as the LG ones have image persistence)
* No optical disc drive
* No gigabit ethernet (or ethernet at all for that matter)
* Non-standard storage form factor (Want to upgrade? Just buy a new laptop! Cha-ching!)
* RAM soldered to motherboard (Want to upgrade? Just buy a new laptop! Cha-ching!)
* Battery is glued in (Want to replace your battery? Apple store, here we come! Cha-ching!)
* Screen is glued to the frame
* One mouse button
* Flimsy aluminum
* Non-standard EFI

In other words, the Apple machine isn't 2x-3x more?

Back