Apple: Exploding Headphones Not Our Fault

Australia has extremely strong consumer protection laws, assuming she is from Aussieland. Australia has a law on the books regarding manufacturers trying to pawn the responsibility off onto third party accessories. Assuming the fault wasn't faulty rechargeable batteries, Apple could be on the hook for a lot more if they try to fight this.
they do? it must not apply to autos since people in aussie land get screwed royally by the likes of Mercedes, Ford, Chrysler, etc

I've discharged quite a few AA's and AAA's in closed loop tests. They get super hot, enough to soften the wrapper glue but none ever burst. Those things have some serious heat tolerances. I doubt these phones caused the batteries to suddenly discharge, even then it's hard to believe even a rebranded battery would of bust.

This goes for all manufacturers. Even having a trace path and some low end resistors would of prevented it from heating up a bunch. I've had some really shoddy Chinese devices that would eat up D cells and even then not get all that hot.

Any alkaline battery can and will leak if ignored long enough. 'Bout 3 years ago I dug out my Pentax flash to adapt to my newer camera, and the Energizer batteries that I'd inadvertently left in it for the past 5 or 6 years had leaked and ruined it. I made them replace the flash ($250 or so). And only last year, I had a nice tactical flashlight with Duracell batteries that were less than 1 year old leak and ruin the device (was replaced by Duracell as well, about $75). I've also found numerous devices where reasonably new batteries were beginning to leak but were saved with a good cleaning.

So...remember that remote that you haven't used for 5 years because you have a 'universal' remote? If you left the batteries in it, there's a damn good chance that the remote is now toast.

Personally, I've been buying lithium batteries for anything that I give a shit about, as I grow weary of the damage caused by alkaline crap. And if you find a device ruined by alkaline batteries, hold their feet to the fire and make them replace it!!

No argument here.
One of my kids Xbox 360 controllers (from a few years ago) had Duracell batteries that leaked. We called P&G (at the time, they owned Duracell) - we were sent a $75 American Express gift card to replace the controller along with coupons for free batteries. This was offered quickly from the person on the phone.

Australia has extremely strong consumer protection laws, assuming she is from Aussieland. Australia has a law on the books regarding manufacturers trying to pawn the responsibility off onto third party accessories. Assuming the fault wasn't faulty rechargeable batteries, Apple could be on the hook for a lot more if they try to fight this.

They weren't even rechargeable batteries, and AFAICT the headphones don't even have a charger.

It could be a case of one faulty battery, and the second battery was pumping current through it, that somehow created this freak reaction.

Because really it is a freak reaction for an Alkaline cell to burst into flames/explode. You probably couldn't do it if you tried, without applying external power.

Do they make Lithium AAA cells? They would have more potential for this.

As for people here and herself stating Apple didn't have an "approved" list, really don't understand how this works. The headphones worked, it was not due to branding or type of battery used that caused the headphones to go up, it was cheap batteries that went up on their own. She did not state who made the batteries, probably cheap China knock offs, and Apple stated that the manufacture of them had not been identified yet, probably due to the fact they were burnt so bad, which also explains why she went after Apple, she doesn't know who made the batteries to sue. However, considering they are probably cheap China batteries, she would not have any luck suing them anyway.

I know so many people who do this, I warn them all the time, most also charge them while away or over night, huge risk right there. I even know people who are into flashlights who will cheap out to save a few bucks on some 18650 batteries, and I know a number who have been burnt by them or had torches go up in flames (these lights costing $100+ each). I hear, "but they were Panasonic batteries!".....How much did you pay for them? "Only $2 each!", for those who don't know, Panasonic 18650's are "cheap" at $10 each, $2 each means China knock off. Sadly most people don't understand this and buy what they think is an amazing deal.

Here's what people just aren't getting here. Properly made AAA batteries don't have enough energy to explode like this woman experienced.

Here's your engineering challenge for all you people blaming Apple/Beats here:

Using only the parts found in a common set of battery-powered headphones, and powered only by 2 good AAA batteries, build me a device that will generate enough heat in a short period to exhibit the kind of damage seen in this article. $5 to anyone who can pull it off.

Here's what people just aren't getting here. Properly made AAA batteries don't have enough energy to explode like this woman experienced.

Here's your engineering challenge for all you people blaming Apple/Beats here:

Using only the parts found in a common set of battery-powered headphones, and powered only by 2 good AAA batteries, build me a device that will generate enough heat in a short period to exhibit the kind of damage seen in this article. $5 to anyone who can pull it off.
This ladies headphones will do it.

I'll PM you my paypal address. I'd like it F/F cause you'll probably try a chargeback :eek:

This ladies headphones will do it.

I'll PM you my paypal address. I'd like it F/F cause you'll probably try a chargeback :eek:

Her headphones didn't do it. The batteries are going to be without a doubt cheap knock offs, poor quality with something wrong with them. Chances are these batteries would have gone up like this no matter what they were used in, it just happened to be bad because it was something that she used close to her face

One of my kids Xbox 360 controllers (from a few years ago) had Duracell batteries that leaked. We called P&G (at the time, they owned Duracell) - we were sent a $75 American Express gift card to replace the controller along with coupons for free batteries. This was offered quickly from the person on the phone.
Good!

Most people just shrug their shoulders and 'Oh well...' Make the bastards pay!

Good!

Most people just shrug their shoulders and 'Oh well...' Make the bastards pay!
These corporations are usually eager to pay back on the small things. Duracell has replaced many things for me in the past, all I had to do was take a picture.

Beats headphones are garbage. Bose or Sennheiser all the way.

Holy shit, how can you group those two manufacturers together like that? One is a real HiFi company making high quality equipment, and the other company is cleverly designed cheap Chinese shit, disguised with a high price tag.

Back