Apple Confirms It Uses Google's Cloud for iCloud

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
In a report from CNBC, a file on Apple's website called the iOS Security Guide confirms that it is relying on Google's public cloud for storage for iCloud Services. Previous versions of the guide had stated that Apple was relying on Amazon Web Services, as well as Microsoft Azure for data storage, however in the newest report the Azure reference is now gone with Google in its place.

Anyone want to take bets on when Google gets investigated for being a monopoly? It seems you can't do anything without them. Thanks to northrop for the story.

The latest update doesn't indicate whether Apple is using any Google cloud services other than core storage of "objects" like photos and videos. The document also doesn't make it clear when Apple started storing data in Google's cloud. Microsoft declined to comment. Apple didn't respond to a request for comment.

So following the blind logic of privacy violation, you mean to tell me it's in the order of Apple - Google - NSA?

Yeah, cloud services are a bit like a utility, so I don't see the big deal at all.

Its also likely that the reason Apple uses two different providers is because of both redundancy and pricing leverage. Given the volumes, it is likely any of the big 3 can provide Apple with storage at roughly the cost that apple would have to pay to have the same organic capability (esp with the large number of geographically distributed data centers they have),

As far as google being a monopoly, every service they offer has tens to hundreds of competitors. The whole online services market is very competitive with low barrier to entry even on the advertising side.

The whole point of cloud storage is that you can shop around for the best prices because more or less they all offer the same thing. Just price out the vms you need with the storage you need and compare.
If apple switches again seamlessly without telling anyone or anyone knowing, then they're doing it right.

Anyone want to take bets on when Google gets investigated for being a monopoly? It seems you can't do anything without them.
I think if they did, Ajit would find a way to pass regulations making it legal for them especially after those comments from some official about how the government should be considering cloud storage for some of its own data.

The whole point of cloud storage is that you can shop around for the best prices because more or less they all offer the same thing. Just price out the vms you need with the storage you need and compare.
If apple switches again seamlessly without telling anyone or anyone knowing, then they're doing it right.

I have to agree with you on all points. If the only indicator was print then thats as seamless as it gets.

Google is relatively a small player in the cloud market. The largest in order is Amazon, Microsoft, IBM, Salesforce, Google, Oracle, Rackspace. Microsoft and IBM are slated to start cutting heavily into Amazon's dominance through their IaaS and IOT offerings. Google operates as a bit of fringe player, so them nabbing iCloud is probably a big deal for them, but plays little into the market overall.

Google is relatively a small player in the cloud market. The largest in order is Amazon, Microsoft, IBM, Salesforce, Google, Oracle, Rackspace. Microsoft and IBM are slated to start cutting heavily into Amazon's dominance through their IaaS and IOT offerings. Google operates as a bit of fringe player, so them nabbing iCloud is probably a big deal for them, but plays little into the market overall.

Eh? Salesforce isn't a primary provider, they are a service provider for specific business services and much much much smaller than google (aka their installed servers are a small fraction of anyone else you listed and IIRC they don't actually own any datacenters). Google is one of the big 3 with as many servers and data centers as Amazon and MS.

I’ll echo what’s said above and say that recreating the wheel to store people’s stuff isn’t always worth it. Besides.. Apple is notorious for having really bad cloud stuff, they are better off leaving it to the experts.

I don't see whats the big deal?

Companies work with their competitors all the time if the benefits outweighs the cons.

Samsung outsources to LG, Drug Company A repackages Drug Company B with their own label, Chrysler Crossfire & Mercedes R170, the list goes on.

Meh, all this means is that Apple got a better deal from Google rather than MS for bulk data store alongside S3.

Well the reason it is news, to the extent it is, is because Apple has spent a whole shitload of money building big data centers, supposedly to handle their own online services. The fact that after all this time they still aren't means they've basically been burning money on the project and also might be something of a tacit admission that their technologies aren't great for servers. It is also minorly noteworthy since Apple views Google as such a direct competitor and really hates Android, but more it is that they have been spending money on supposedly doing this themselves.

It would kinda be like hearing that Intel was hiring TSMC or Samsung to make Core i chips. It would be noteworthy not because of outsourcing, most companies outsource their fabrication, but because they spend billions on the facilities to do it themselves.

Back