Apple: Color Shifting, OLED Burn-in “Normal” on iPhone X

We

Static images, level of brightness, red hues.

I refuse to accept that it's only what is displayed that causes burn-in. I tend to keep my phone on a reasonably high level of brightness (and use it often outside) for example.

If static images caused burn-in, then the 'always on' display of time etc. on my phone would surely be a killer? But - there's no burn in there at all.

I refuse to accept that it's only what is displayed that causes burn-in. I tend to keep my phone on a reasonably high level of brightness (and use it often outside) for example.

If static images caused burn-in, then the 'always on' display of time etc. on my phone would surely be a killer? But - there's no burn in there at all.
Oh don’t worry, it WILL happen but you probably won’t experience it these days unless you search for it. The other thing is these screens are experiencing low power when compared to TV’s, so their chance for burn is very low. But one of the disadvantages are static displays, it’s like a perpetual game hub.

Again, it stands to happen but it will be a low probability. If your screen (on any phone) shows it, you probably will want to replace it as it may be defective and would spiral out of control.

Oh don’t worry, it WILL happen but you probably won’t experience it these days unless you search for it. The other thing is these screens are experiencing low power when compared to TV’s, so their chance for burn is very low. But one of the disadvantages are static displays, it’s like a perpetual game hub.

Again, it stands to happen but it will be a low probability. If your screen (on any phone) shows it, you probably will want to replace it as it may be defective and would spiral out of control.

I understand what you're saying, but the point being discussed is the high prevalence of burn-in on the iPhone X - if it is already experiencing burn-in issues at this early stage then there's obviously a tech issue which causes it to happen more readily.

It's not an announcement that the X is already disturbing burn in, it's a warning that OLED is susceptible to it. It's happening on $4k+ TVs, too. Screen made my Samsung, etc. How do people here not understand these rudimentary tech realities?

I understand what you're saying, but the point being discussed is the high prevalence of burn-in on the iPhone X - if it is already experiencing burn-in issues at this early stage then there's obviously a tech issue which causes it to happen more readily.
It’s not, the phone barely released even. This forum is hyper anti-Apple devices so if anything is posted (pro or against) there will be a swarm of posts.

What Apple announced is merely a warning for what this technology is known for. Nothing else.

So Apple cop hate now for being open and honest about OLED shortcomings after caving to all the nubs who demanded it in a phone... when LCD did a perfect job as is and didnt need replacing...

Jesus would people just fuking grow up and find something else to bitch about.

So Apple cop hate now for being open and honest about OLED shortcomings after caving to all the nubs who demanded it in a phone... when LCD did a perfect job as is and didnt need replacing...

Jesus would people just fuking grow up and find something else to bitch about.

Lcd being perfect? No thanks. I've been using AMOLED for many years. They both have pros and cons, but I'd choose AMOLED any day over lcd.

Lcd being perfect? No thanks. I've been using AMOLED for many years. They both have pros and cons, but I'd choose AMOLED any day over lcd.

LCD only has 1 drawback on a phone and that is black levels which make no difference in this use case. OLED has many drawbacks in comparison which is why Apple let me mature for a few years first instead of using consumers as beta testers. Many people tout Power consumption as a win for OLED but on such a small screen and the amount of time its actually on, its a neglegible difference.

Lets sum up some OLED drawbacks shall we:

Off angle colour shift
Burn in and image retention
Poor direct sunlight viewing
Panel aging
Much higher per unit cost

Hell my OLED gets retention with an image on the screen for as little as 10 seconds. The technology simply isnt mature yet.

Its the same....freaking.....panel there is nothing magical about the tech Apple using, people just scrutenise the crap out of their hardware until they find something clitckbaity to make money off or make something up. If it happens on an android device it is simply considered a quirk or character of the device. Hell even phones catching fire is aparently acceptable to Samsung users. So its all downhill from there...

People need to learn the difference between burn in and retention... if stays there forever... its burn in... if it disappears... its retention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Typing this using an OLED display and I don't see any severe color shifting at extreme angles like say a TN panel. Also I use my phone a lot and no burn in so far. Guess my 350$ phone isn't normal...

Based on my OLED vs apple ips screens, I would say that the color shift at angle on oled screens isn't going to be any more significant than what you get at extreme angles from teh IPS screen on my 6, which seems to be similar to what you see on the 7. Haven't gotten a chance to handle an 8 much yet.

burn in on the other hand... Image persistence sucks, and I have not seen it on my amoled device(s).

Based on my OLED vs apple ips screens, I would say that the color shift at angle on oled screens isn't going to be any more significant than what you get at extreme angles from teh IPS screen on my 6, which seems to be similar to what you see on the 7. Haven't gotten a chance to handle an 8 much yet.

burn in on the other hand... Image persistence sucks, and I have not seen it on my amoled device(s).

Of axis image shift is much bigger on OLED but only effects certain colours slighty off angle... IPS LCD doesnt not exhibit this until extreme viewing angles caused by image diffraction in the glass itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back