Apple 23'' HD 16ms....sweet :)

Never mind, I found the answer was to select "Reduce DVI frequency on high-resolution displays" under Advanced Settings for my card. It displays Windows properly now, was getting some very scary looking out of sync images earlier. Will worry about the lack of BIOS later =)

Thoughts on the monitor: it's beautiful, crisp, and the metal finish is really nice. The display itself had 0 dead pixels and very very uniform color and lighting. Really happy with it... look forward to 1920 x 1200 gaming!

Hi Jerry, I've seen quite a few posts about a lack of post screen on the apple forums and can't really offer any help. It seems to be a problem certain ati and nvidia cards but because I don't ahve that problem I did wonder whether it was simply people trying to run a 23" monitor on a gf2mx or something similar but that obviously isn't the case.

If I see a solution i will post back.

Hmm, after a few days with this monitor, I've had a few problems develop. The first is I found a stuck green pixel in the middle of the panel. When I first searched for dead pixels I put up a white background and look for variations from white. Then later, after reading stuff on the forums, it occurred to be that I ought to do the same for black. And that's how I came across the one stuck green pixel in the middle.

I've also noticed the red push that other people complained about. I did fix it by changing settings in my video card's configuration to tone down the red, but it seems that every time you switch resolutions (which happens when starting up FFXI) then it reverts back to the default state. So, it's quite an annoyance. I've contacted Amazon and asked for a replacement unit to be sent out. The red push is workable, the dead pixel is not. I hope I fare better this time around. Luckily they deliver the monitor from a local warehouse so it should be here pretty fast =)

Sigh, looking at that brings up my stuck green pixel =P at first glance I could just see the big black stretch on top but when I looked closer I can just make out the 5 smaller black rectangles. A test like this is too predictable though... I might have seen those due to some eye tricks from the white rectangles below? A better test may be to do the thing but put it on a completely black, 1920x1200 and ask us then...

Please specify firm of the display:).

To look this test it is necessary in a standard operating conditions i.e. it is not necessary to adjust brightness or contrast.

Rectangulars on a subfloor are marked according to value R-G-B. On CRT it is visible all five rectangulars though 1-1-1 it is visible hardly.

Had my eyes on the SONY SDM-P234B first, but decided to go with the 23" Apple instead, I should receive it at the end of the week. I just hope I won't experience the reddish tint. :)

Martin64 said:
Had my eyes on the SONY SDM-P234B first, but decided to go with the 23" Apple instead, I should receive it at the end of the week. I just hope I won't experience the reddish tint. :)

Did you buy the adapter as well? Don't you need one in order to hook it up to your PC?

[BB] Rick James said:
Did you buy the adapter as well? Don't you need one in order to hook it up to your PC?

The Apple now uses DVI, so no adapter is needed if you plan on using it on a PC.

D'oh, just found it it won't be shipping until tomorrow, so I won't have it until next week. :(

Well, as long as the display is working fine I can wait that long. :p

As for the reddish tint on Apple 23 inch displays, they ALL have it. No chance you'll get a "neutral" model. It's not Apple's fault, it's the panel they are using.

When I first saw the 23" alu in a local store, I thought "cool, a non-pink display". But then, when they installed a 20" display next to it, it was clearly visible. In particular, grey areas aren't neutral grey, but look a bit red/pink. You can try to fix it by decreasing red color values in the control panel, but it will never look as beautiful as the old 23 Cinema did. :(

The good think is, it only seems to be visible on grey areas. And you most likely won't notice it until you have a comparison, a "neutral" display. I looked through my Webshots collection on a 23" Cinema Alu and I didn't see serious color problems. Black-and-white photographs look a bit pink, however. Ah, and black isn't as beautifully black as on CRT monitors, but that's normal for all TFTs.

The only chance for Apple to fix this "problem" is to use another panel, which probably won't be available for a year or more, since there is only one 23" panel manufacturer - LG Electronics.

By the way, as for the "forgetting resolution" with Cinema Displays (102x768 after every reboot), use nVidia forceware 66.00 Beta drivers, the don't have this problem.

Hope it helps
Andillo

Andillo said:
As for the reddish tint on Apple 23 inch displays, they ALL have it. No chance you'll get a "neutral" model. It's not Apple's fault, it's the panel they are using.

When I first saw the 23" alu in a local store, I thought "cool, a non-pink display". But then, when they installed a 20" display next to it, it was clearly visible. In particular, grey areas aren't neutral grey, but look a bit red/pink. You can try to fix it by decreasing red color values in the control panel, but it will never look as beautiful as the old 23 Cinema did. :(

The good think is, it only seems to be visible on grey areas. And you most likely won't notice it until you have a comparison, a "neutral" display. I looked through my Webshots collection on a 23" Cinema Alu and I didn't see serious color problems. Black-and-white photographs look a bit pink, however. Ah, and black isn't as beautifully black as on CRT monitors, but that's normal for all TFTs.

The only chance for Apple to fix this "problem" is to use another panel, which probably won't be available for a year or more, since there is only one 23" panel manufacturer - LG Electronics.

By the way, as for the "forgetting resolution" with Cinema Displays (102x768 after every reboot), use nVidia forceware 66.00 Beta drivers, the don't have this problem.

Hope it helps
Andillo

Thanks for the info, Andillo. :)

If the Apple 23" has the reddish tint, should't the HP and Sony have it as well, since they all use the same panel? If it's not very appearant I don't mind that much actually, as I'm not working with graphics on a daily basic, other than working on some websites. I'm still using my old AIW 9700 Pro, so I suppose it's time to upgrade that now that I'm getting a new monitor. Any suggestions? I don't want to blow $500 on a new card, but I can stretch to $300-350. Other specs: 3200+ Barton and 512 MB RAM. Cheers. :)

Martin64 said:
Thanks for the info, Andillo. :)

If the Apple 23" has the reddish tint, should't the HP and Sony have it as well, since they all use the same panel? If it's not very appearant I don't mind that much actually, as I'm not working with graphics on a daily basic, other than working on some websites. I'm still using my old AIW 9700 Pro, so I suppose it's time to upgrade that now that I'm getting a new monitor. Any suggestions? I don't want to blow $500 on a new card, but I can stretch to $300-350. Other specs: 3200+ Barton and 512 MB RAM. Cheers. :)

As far as I know, at least the HP is also a bit red. At least ZDnet found the HP 2335 pretty red (here compared to an Eizo: http://www.zdnet.de/i/et/peripherie/2004/05/HPL2335/rot.jpg ) By the way, the Apples I've seen aren't that bad! On Apple, at least white is white and not pink.

But on HP, you can change color values already in the display (on screen menu), so it could be at least partially corrected. But on a LCD, there's no difference whether you correct it in the display (menu) or operating system (like nVidia control panel).

As for the video cards, be careful, since many many ATI branded cards do not display BIOS and DOS modes. So you won't see anything before Windows is loaded. It's caused by non-standard DVI timings used by Apple (HP or BenQ displays have no problem), so if a video card supports this non-standard modes, it will work, if not - forget it. nVidia cards seem less problematic here, but check the Apple forum before you buy anything, there are some threads about it:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.6895fae4

By the way, it seems that all Gainward branded nVidia cards work fine (no warranty of course!)

Ouch, yeah that looks pretty bad. Yeah I've heard you can calibrate it through Windows, I'll give that a try once I receive the monitor, I'll have my 17" Samsung TFT to calibrate it too, it looks perfect.

I'll keep my eyes on the Apple forums before bying, thanks for the link. :) I've considered the nVidia 6800 128 MB, which can be softmodded to a 6800 Ultra, is that correct or have I been misinformed? The "Gainward GeForce 6800 128MB DDR 2.8ns AGP, "Ultra/2100", Retail" could perhaps be a good choice then. :)

Back