Apparently Apple's New Map App Sucks

They fucked up the logo too, shit Apple is really losing its touch :p
They're merely suggesting to live a bit more dangerously here. What's life without the occasional thrill of driving off a bridge into oncoming freeway traffic?

I'm not sure what you mean by needed information. If you're referring to the errors there right now, then no, it doesn't really matter when you encounter an error in the data. If you're saying that because there are errors in some locations that there isn't any benefit to vector tiles, that doesn't really make sense to me.

The real benefit to having the data in a vector format is that you can zoom in (and out) without needing to load additional data at higher zoom levels. In the old maps app, it would frequently need to pull in new tiles from the servers to give you information at higher zoom levels (just like Google Maps). Having stores of rasterized tiles at different zoom levels simply doesn't make sense if the hardware is good enough to be able to plow through rasterizing the vectors in real time and if the vector format can store the data efficiently.

I agree with you on that. I was referring to the errors, lack of detail and general half assery of the launch. My point was that if you're not getting the correct information, it doesn't matter if it is using a raster or vector format. Obviously that will depend on where you are as some areas are represented very well.

I'm not sure what you mean by needed information. If you're referring to the errors there right now, then no, it doesn't really matter when you encounter an error in the data. If you're saying that because there are errors in some locations that there isn't any benefit to vector tiles, that doesn't really make sense to me.

The real benefit to having the data in a vector format is that you can zoom in (and out) without needing to load additional data at higher zoom levels. In the old maps app, it would frequently need to pull in new tiles from the servers to give you information at higher zoom levels (just like Google Maps). Having stores of rasterized tiles at different zoom levels simply doesn't make sense if the hardware is good enough to be able to plow through rasterizing the vectors in real time and if the vector format can store the data efficiently.

I am pretty sure apple maps is "fast" due to having a fraction of the data Google maps has.

Um. The old map was Google maps. Unless this all happened literally today, not sure how its relevant.

In name only. It has none of the abilities or views that the Android standard has.
And you're right. What you said is not relivant. :D

here is an example of what iphone "google" maps can not do. This is the route home if I needed it. It will tell me to take a left and how many yards till my next turn as well as what lane I need to be in. This comes standard on an Android.

photo2_zps7bf7f48c.png

I am pretty sure apple maps is "fast" due to having a fraction of the data Google maps has.

He is right, rasterized graphics is an ancient technology. Vector graphics are superior in literally every single way. The problem is that all of the mature mapping suites have their data stored in rasterized formats, because it was the established technology at the time.

In typical Apple fashion, they've decided to go with a superior, yet immature, technology, and are stiffing their customers until it takes off.

One thing I can guarantee is that now that Apple has thrown their weight behind this, it's going to push the industry to vectorized maps. I won't be surprised if, in a few years, everyone including Google has transitioned to it. The problem of course is that as usual, all the Apple users get told "too bad" until the industry catches up.

In name only. It has none of the abilities or views that the Android standard has.
And you're right. What you said is not relivant. :D

here is an example of what iphone "google" maps can not do. This is the route home if I needed it. It will tell me to take a left and how many yards till my next turn as well as what lane I need to be in. This comes standard on an Android.

photo2_zps7bf7f48c.png

So your work is in a galaxy far far away?:D

Yeah, my friend who likes iPhones today was complaining about the new maps. Not just that it lacks detail, but also that it generally isn't as intelligent at finding things. Though it gained turn by turn navigation, though he was saying that needed siri to actually have audio directions.

I like my android navigation, despite the phone itself being shit, the GPS navigation has been very useful since I got to the US and haven't had any clue on where to go and don't own any maps.

One thing I can guarantee is that now that Apple has thrown their weight behind this, it's going to push the industry to vectorized maps. I won't be surprised if, in a few years, everyone including Google has transitioned to it. The problem of course is that as usual, all the Apple users get told "too bad" until the industry catches up.

My Android phone has been getting vector maps from Google for years now. Hell, maps.google.com on my desktop has been giving me vector maps for a couple of months thanks to WebGL. Apple is playing catch up here in every way. Oh, and best of all, when Google transitioned from raster to vector there weren't any regressions at all. The data was all still there, everything just got way faster and nicer.

Read his comment again. They're not talking about the accuracy of the map in any way.

Read the link again - he linked to the announcement of Google Maps 5.0 on Android, which added vector maps - 2 years ago. Accuracy had nothing to do with it.

He is right, rasterized graphics is an ancient technology. Vector graphics are superior in literally every single way. The problem is that all of the mature mapping suites have their data stored in rasterized formats, because it was the established technology at the time.

In typical Apple fashion, they've decided to go with a superior, yet immature, technology, and are stiffing their customers until it takes off.

Industry catches up?

Google Maps is vectorized on the Android platform. It is crApple who is playing catch up.

well i'm sure there are few updates coming on soon before they do press release about what went wrong or they jumped the guns or better they'll say it was their devices and not apple's fault.

Like that brand new 4g lte technology? or maybe the yet to be invented NFC technology?

Too bad it's Apple that's playing catch up, again, just like with IOS 5
Goggle has had vectorized maps for a couple years already.

So now we have another item Apple has copied from Android. Apple not only seems to be copying more from Android they are getting more obvious about it.

iPhone 5/IOS 6 developement checklist.

1. Larger screen, like many year old Android Phones, Check
2. 4G, like many year old Android Phones, Check
3. Facebook Integration like Android, Check
4. Turn by Turn Navigation like Android, Check
5. Vector Maps like Android, Check

Claim that this was all invented by Apple, priceless.

Why the hell do people always throw this stupid tidbits in? Where the fuck did Apple claim that all of iOS5 and 6 additions were their own?

I was ready to accept your comment that iOS was playing catch up, but you guys always have to throw this stupid fucking comment in there.

Have you guys ever stop to think that maybe the fact that there's 700,000 fucking apps in Google and Apple App store that it's next to impossible to think of original additions anymore?

Too bad it's Apple that's playing catch up, again, just like with IOS 5
Goggle has had vectorized maps for a couple years already.

So now we have another item Apple has copied from Android. Apple not only seems to be copying more from Android they are getting more obvious about it.

iPhone 5/IOS 6 developement checklist.

1. Larger screen, like many year old Android Phones, Check
2. 4G, like many year old Android Phones, Check
3. Facebook Integration like Android, Check
4. Turn by Turn Navigation like Android, Check
5. Vector Maps like Android, Check

I've never understood the fascination with figuring out who did what first in technology (other than for a bit of mental masturbation as my professor used to call it). When the rubber hits the road the only thing I care about is who wraps it up at this moment in time in to the better package for a better deal, be that Apple or Android.

Other than aweful maps what feature were downgraded? It runs much better than iOS 5 IMHO. I wish they would have stuck with Google maps though.

I think they downgraded the ability to use Wifi too, my friend's Wifi is now dead since they upgraded :D

Perhaps it's a reaction to all of the media writing their iPhone 5 reviews in the tone of "look at all the awesome improvements Apple made, what an awesome phone" instead of mentioning that they finally have features that Android has had for a couple of generations. The general tone in the media is still one of "how innovative Apple is" rather than "wow, Apple finally added features the competition has had for a while".

Why the hell do people always throw this stupid tidbits in? Where the fuck did Apple claim that all of iOS5 and 6 additions were their own?

Go watch any video Apple produces. The amount of self congratulating they do is disgusting, hence this sort of response. Apple always, always calls their stuff "revolutionary", "magical", "innovative", "best <x> ever", etc.. For example, Apple is calling iOS 6 Maps "the most beautiful, powerful mapping service ever." and for their description of using vector graphics they say it was "completely re-imagined".

You can't use that amount of hyperbole and bullshit without some push back, especially when you are using that amount of hyperbole and self-congratulating on a product that, well, sucks (to clarify I'm saying iOS 6's Maps sucks, not iOS 6 as a whole)

I hope the jailbreak comes soon and I can just install the IOS5 Maps app ipa :)

Industry catches up?

Google Maps is vectorized on the Android platform. It is crApple who is playing catch up.

I thought it was this way too. From what i see, the only thing that gets cached is the satellite view. If you put your phone into airplane mode and try to zoom in, the maps will stay blurred because they can no longer download the higher res bitmaps.

But if you turn off satellite view, you can zoom all you want on the map and they'll just get re-rendered without downloading anything else since it's just re-using the existing data. Vectors take less room than bitmaps and it's why you only need a few minutes to pre-cache a 10 mile area.

Uhhhh, I hope Google's map app is aproved quickly...this is pretty bad

We've had this 3D Map technology in Sweden for 4-5 years. The advantage is that entire cities can be rendered in 3D without the need to manually create 3D objects for everything. The disavtantage is that it doesn't always look great.

Since google maps is probably the most frequently used app on my 3GS, I think I will stick with iOS5 for now.

I was ready to accept your comment that iOS was playing catch up, but you guys always have to throw this stupid fucking comment in there.

Have you guys ever stop to think that maybe the fact that there's 700,000 fucking apps in Google and Apple App store that it's next to impossible to think of original additions anymore?

So because Google is better at it that's our fault? Do you see why some people despise Apple? What kind of retort was that?

I was going to accept your argument until you made it really really apparent that I was wrong. Or, don't you guys know innovation is hard? :rolleyes:

Why yes it is and that's why it pisses me off when Apple copies the hard stuff (or buys it from someone else) and patents the dumb shit and still markets their disasters as working as intended.

Here's the deal. Apple pretends their shit doesn't stink and that every thing they build is the first at whatever it is, which isn't correct. So for technically inclined people who watch Apple's marketing produce reviews and advertising which tells us that the maps are so great because of this and that when whole roads are missing, there's a problem and people should know about it and accept it. Hell i could accept wrong directions in Tibet, but NYC?

Although this whole maps snafu could be a benefit for when the next iPhone comes out. You won't have to look at those long lines in front of the Apple store anymore because all of the Apple Fans will end up at the Scratch n' Dent instead.

so my friend is getting an iphone5, and we were joking about the maps thing yesterday...

then co-worker comes in to brag about the awesome new maps on his iphone4s, and yes he mentions how much more awesome it is over my google maps...

me and other co-worker continue to laugh.

Uhhhh, I hope Google's map app is aproved quickly...this is pretty bad

What's the big deal? Just go to Google Maps in Safari and add a bookmark icon. I already do this in iOS 5 since the Google Maps app hasn't been updated in forever, and the browser-based version has more features than the old Maps app.

I thought it was this way too. From what i see, the only thing that gets cached is the satellite view. If you put your phone into airplane mode and try to zoom in, the maps will stay blurred because they can no longer download the higher res bitmaps.

But if you turn off satellite view, you can zoom all you want on the map and they'll just get re-rendered without downloading anything else since it's just re-using the existing data. Vectors take less room than bitmaps and it's why you only need a few minutes to pre-cache a 10 mile area.

Which maps are you talking about, iOS 6 or Google Maps?

Google Maps on Android is absolutely vector based, it does not use bitmaps for rounds & builds at all. Obviously uses bitmaps for satellite view (so does iOS 6, you kind of have to), but for just street it is completely vector in Google Maps on Android - no blurriness as you zoom, things just fade in and out cleanly.

I guess its not surprising that every time someone talks about switching away from an iphone they bring up the gs3, as if it was the only other smart phone that existed. Buy into marketing much?

Which maps are you talking about, iOS 6 or Google Maps?

Google Maps on Android is absolutely vector based, it does not use bitmaps for rounds & builds at all. Obviously uses bitmaps for satellite view (so does iOS 6, you kind of have to), but for just street it is completely vector in Google Maps on Android - no blurriness as you zoom, things just fade in and out cleanly.

Android. I still haven't update the iPod. I'll do that in a bit and see if iOS's Bluetooth is still crippled.

Technically, the one on android is also a bitmap... sort of... vector data is just a bunch of virtual line borders. They're converted into bitmaps and then used as texture maps and plastered onto the 3D plane that you move around.

I'm kind of shocked anyone on [H] has an iPhone...

I was using iOS long before i heard of Android. I'm not into modding (heck, i don't even overclock my PC), but the first time i tried using Android and realized it had a file system, i pretty much jumped ship. Getting my media files into Apples 'media player' was too much of a hassle. When i found out i could stick Android into any PC and be able to move files in and out of it, i gave my iPod4 to my parents and rarely bothered with it again. I realize that an iPod is not an iPhone, but considering that the underlying principles are the same, the same restrictions that turned me away from iOS is still there on the iPhone.

There are people that would always say "Jailbreak it", but like i said, i'm not into modding. Ironic that the cult kept bringing up the need to root android, yet you need to jailbreak iOS to do what a stock android can.

Once again something that never would have been approved if Jobs was still alive. Heads would have rolled at Jobs' feet and Google Maps would still be place until at least iOS 6.1 if he was still around.
When Steve Jobs was alive, Apple released a phone with a broken antenna.
That's kind of bad for a phone.

Back