Apogee - first impressions

Swiftech is really slipping. New products with low quality and HORRIBLE customer service. My first purchase from them was the STORM APEX kit, and it will be my last.

I thought that top part was injection molded? Must be a really shoddy injection mold or a lousy operator. :eek:

Top Nurse said:
I thought that top part was injection molded? Must be a really shoddy injection mold or a lousy operator. :eek:

It is injection molded. ... but it is very poor quality. Mold's are generally weaker than machined parts anyway, but this is just pure greed shining through.

Maybe I should get some friends together and pay Swiftech a visit with a little sidewalk protest about their crappy service and poor products. I could call the WSJ and a few other rags or just send some pics via e-mail to interested parties (shareholders, investment counselors, etc.). I think that would clean up any kind of problem instantly. :D

You need to use a lot of care when working with injection molded part and even more so when you're compressing a thick "O" between it and the base plate. If it gets uneven at all it can crack. That's why you need to tighten it down in a cris cross patern a little at a time until it drawn up tight, very much like a alumimum intake manifold on a high dollar rase car. Fines is the secret.............. :D

Swiftech is really slipping. New products with low quality and HORRIBLE customer service. My first purchase from them was the STORM APEX kit, and it will be my last

I have a storm, and the construction on it seems quite good. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing for them :confused:

Nope.....applies to all blocks that use "O" ring seals, even aluminum. With the bases being so thin these days, tightening them down in a uneven manner, could cause the base or tops to warp or crack. This tightening method is just plain ole common sense and a good maintenance practice. Before anyone takes anything apart and attemps to put it back together, they should learn more about what they are doing. Rember Murphy's Laws » If anything can go wrong, it will...............;)

headala said:
I have a storm, and the construction on it seems quite good. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing for them :confused:

The poor quality statement is directed to the Apogee, the storm block i have is very nice. The customer service though is the worst ive dealt with ANY company. They gave me an RMA number after showing them pictures of my dented radiator, then denied the RMA once they received the unit and blamed it on shipping. They then shipped the radiator back to me 2 weeks later with even more damage. Absolutley rediculous company, they can burn in hell for all I care. Im still in talks with them so i wont post a full review of them yet, but as of now its looking pretty grim.

wow, with all of this talk im not sure if i should even get an Apex Kit. Maybe a DD setup would be better?

Budwise said:
wow, with all of this talk im not sure if i should even get an Apex Kit. Maybe a DD setup would be better?

Buy a D-Tek kit. MP-05 is a beast.

orkan said:
Buy a D-Tek kit. MP-05 is a beast.

looks almost identical to the Storm. Sorry to be off topic, but how does it perform in comparison?

http://www.systemcooling.com/cooltechnica_aquaxtreme-01.html

That review has the different versions of MP-05's. (OEM'd to cooltechnica) The model's they got sent for review, were prototypes. Should never even have been sent. A few of the jets were being blocked by the base pins.

Yet it still was second to the storm. If you order one now, you will get a fixed, production version. Should perform on par with the storm.

im lookin for a full kit though which is why the Apex seems nice. The D-tek MP-05 SP looks like its the top performer for D-tek although the Storm does best it. I just read that review you are talking about, and ya i see that the Storm beats it most of the time.

Are you a rep for D-tek or somethin? Id be interested in looking into the D-tek parts, but to match the price to performance for the Apex Ultra Group buy would be pretty tough.

Budwise said:
im lookin for a full kit though which is why the Apex seems nice. The D-tek MP-05 SP looks like its the top performer for D-tek although the Storm does best it. I just read that review you are talking about, and ya i see that the Storm beats it most of the time.

Are you a rep for D-tek or somethin? Id be interested in looking into the D-tek parts, but to match the price to performance for the Apex Ultra Group buy would be pretty tough.

No, I'm not a d-tek rep. ... i just know quality parts and top notch customer service when I see it. Same reason I use OCZ memory. I can get them on the phone any day of the week. I've been ordering from dtek since before the WhiteWater block. Danny @ D-Tek takes care of his customers. Swiftech could care less about theirs. (as I sit here with a cracked apogee, I would know)

That review, as I mentioned, was with a defective MP-05. Even the guy that reviewed it can tell you that. Since both the MP-05 and the Storm perform the same (bold statement) I would go for the company with better customer service. ... that is D-Tek, hands down.

it does sound like Swiftech is kinda pissin away their customers with bad service...

Budwise said:
not sure if anyone has posted this, but there is one review out for the whole kit..

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=485

Not a bad little review, but I would put it as an "informative review" rather than a "performance review." What I find a crackup is this statement:
  • "Shortly after releasing the original kit Swiftech discovered a way to make the “Storm” water block more effective. Therefore the second released which is known as the “Apogee” was quickly integrated into the H20-220 APEX kit making for an “ULTRA” revision."

If anybody believes that shit I got some really high grade swamp property that would be a perfect place to build a new housing development. ;) As I have stated before it is outright obvious that Swiftech bought the G4 simply to integrate the look into their existing line of coolers so they could ride on the coat-tails of Cathar's good work. I really feel sorry for him as he seems to be getting screwed one more time. :(

Top Nurse said:
Not a bad little review, but I would put it as an "informative review" rather than a "performance review." What I find a crackup is this statement:
  • "Shortly after releasing the original kit Swiftech discovered a way to make the “Storm” water block more effective. Therefore the second released which is known as the “Apogee” was quickly integrated into the H20-220 APEX kit making for an “ULTRA” revision."

If anybody believes that shit I got some really high grade swamp property that would be a perfect place to build a new housing development. ;) As I have stated before it is outright obvious that Swiftech bought the G4 simply to integrate the look into their existing line of coolers so they could ride on the coat-tails of Cathar's good work. I really feel sorry for him as he seems to be getting screwed one more time. :(

I just read the review you were talking about and it's a shame that the reviewer didn't do his homework.

image17.jpg

^^^ ... that is EXACTLY where mine cracked. WTF could they have been thinking?!?!?! That thin of a connection cannot support ANY kind of load. No wonder mine cracked. Why in the F couldnt they just machine the top? So it would have cost 10$ more... at least it wouldn't have been a cheap, nasty plastic part that cracks easily.

I'm going to machine a top out of delrin. THEN I'll stick it in my loop. But not before.

Back