AOL: You’ve Got FAIL!

Don't you miss this:

15_56k-modems.gif

AOL is too big to just go away. Dial up is on its last legs. They will probably find some other way to generate revenue.

IIRC, you can cancel the AOL service but still use the email address and client for free.

ahh good ol AOL made for coasters.

never used AOL and they still kept sending me their crap CD's, and still didn't use them as coasters, but was fun throwing them at pigeons.

you know the funny thing is I can remember that most people did not understand that AOL was just a gateway to most of the net. People want a gateway and Google is the one that replaced AOL.
That's because it wasn't just a gateway to the internet.
AOL, Compuserve and Prodigy all had sizable user communities well before the internet became so ubiquitous.
All three were self-contained systems.
They all had a fair amount of services besides email and chat rooms, including technical bulletin boards (Compuserve).
I remember when Compuserve was the main mechanism for tech support with companies like Borland.

I'm pretty sure my Aunt still pays for AOL even tho she has DSL with AT&T, she won't believe that she can keep her AOL e-mail without a paid account.

I remember trying to cancel my AOL service. The first time I tried, the agent didn't turn anything off, he "gave" me a free month. I was pissed when I saw the charge again.

The next agent did the same thing without my knowledge. I had to call back 5min later and get an second agent to actually turn my service off.

Despite not normally being a vindictive person, I will dance the "happy dance of pure joy" when that POS goes under. The nightmares their crap software (when all was really needed was the POP phone number in the dial up connections ) caused me makes me shudder to this day.

Oh come now. It was that bad.
I was in a house with AOL aDSL, which still sucked penus coming from cable. Even more than the 53k. That software wouldn't be so bad now with 12gb of ram. I remember pop up windows that appeared in the extreme bottom left of the screen and kept going. Happy days.

How does the dance go?

If AOL dies, the Frisbee pastime will never be the same. Think of the children.

If AOL dies, the Frisbee pastime will never be the same. Think of the children.

well i can scrap up those little tins and I'll mail out blank CD's. That should do it. What kid doesn't want those tins anyways? (nerdy me used to keep a stack of them cause I thought they were "cool)

Try explaining that AOL is not the internet to my wife's family. They understand that on some level, but are afraid that if they stop paying AOL the internet will go away, despite the Comcast connection.

AOL profits will continue to fall as their user base dies off, literally.

Yep you hit the nail on the head. I deal with the same thing from older family as well. They just don;t get it! I keep trying to kill AOL and tell them to stop paying but... I have not un-brain washed them yet. Still working on it!

I need to make IE or FF to look like AOL to trick them... hehe!

My parents kicked my ass when they saw the phone bill after using DWANGO for Doom multiplayer. Only had long distance numbers for it to dial in my area lol.

That and staying up till 6 am playing Duke Nukem deathmatch were definetly the days that got me hooked on PC gaming.

Yeah man those were the days! High Phone Bills and Gibbing A-Plenty! :D

It's been sweet sweet vindication watching AOL die a slow painful death all these years. When the news hits that they are truly out of business, that will just be the happy ending.

I swear I want to stab/kill people when I see someone use the word 'fail', most stupid ass catch phrase ever.

Wow, stay away from Failblog.org

Back