AoC

keefusm

Limp Gawd
Yes, I know there are several threads here on this topic. However, I used to be an avid wow player, sold all my accounts, and I have been dabbling in playing again. (Starting from scratch). I see AoC is on the horizon here, I just called "Gamestop" and they have AoC on the shelves and are selling it. I would like to buy it tonight and get the patches ready for tomorrow. So, if anyone that has sampled the early opening and could please drop their thoughts in this thread it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
keefer

My thoughts......hmmmmmmm

after careful thinking and leveling 2 characters to 10.

AWESOME WHOOOOHOOOOOOO

this game is ADULT.
its got: swearing, sex, burning people alive, decapitations, blood flying everywhere.

It's Conans world with nothing held back at all.

Copied and pasted what I posted in another AoC thread:

My final overall 2 cents on this game (from pvp server perspective):

Trolls are nowhere to be found with their short sited negative predictions. This goes on many forums like mmorpg, gamefaq, hardforum. Remember few weeks back?

I'm having more fun than any mmo I've played even my first one.

They pulled a miracle patch out their asses. Bugs are very few and gaming 2 days now I have not had 1 single crash as opposed to the multiple crashes from beta.

Gameplay:
Leveling so far is on par with WoW..it starts to slow down and the soloing gets harder at level 30. This is not including the griefing you will get.

Not as noob friendly as WoW. There are definite situational style of playstyles you will have to use depending on the type of npc mob.
Respawn is just plain nasty here and not sure if thats intentional. Some instances a room respawns every minute (think BWL suppression room time rate). But it makes for a more challenging encounters especially when soloing..you can't just auto attack with same repetitive sequences.
A good example of this is how quiet the chat log is because everyone is so busy when they fight mobs.

Lots of hidden stuff that I hope is more explained later on like damage mitigation and how attributes dictate this. At the moment there is no way to gauge armor values other than armor type and defensive rating, however there is a definite hidden attribute.

Money from rewards bugged? In the quest logs I see money amounts detailed but I only have 10 Silver lol after doing so many X amount of quests at level 30.

In conclusion:
This game will be good. Not a WoW killer by any means but this type of game I would recommend for the following:

-sick of WoW

-Someone with a few friends to level with and likes to pvp constantly.

-A player that is in between the 'casual' and 'hardcore' mold type. The grinding is not forced on you, however there will be lots to do if you choose it. What I mean by that is there aren't any grinding cock blocks like Bind on Equip, Armor Repair, or my most hated feature 'Kill X amount of Wolves for 10 pelts for a chance drop on the needed quest item bs. A quest says kill wolves for 10 pelts in AoC you get the quest item on every drop.

Who this game is not for:
Someone still having fun with their current mmo.

I always get mmo sickness after a while of playing one, when I'm looking there staring at my character whacking stuff, I'm thinking: why would I do this when I can grab a M4A1 and headshot some people. AoC may be different though, the fighting system is more real time.

Yea, I saw your post in the other thread. I went ahead and bit the bullet and purchased it. It seems all the servers are down now. I was hoping to patch but that also seems to be a no go. Hopefully I can get it launched before heading to work tomorrow. I have to research the classes, etc. to see what I want to make.. Any input on that?

Also is there any way to get the patch at an external location?

Servers are getting ready for tomorrow. they'll be up around midnight est. (US)

As for a character. don't know what you like. lots to choose from

no external locations yet. just run the patcher when you wake up in the morning. shouldn't take too long.

Ok I will narrow it down.. Melee or spell caster? It seems I would want to go something brutal combat or something similar to a warlock.. Am in the process of reading aocwiki..

Edit: Man, just watched some YouTube videos. I have never anticipated this game at all. After watching the videos I can't wait to play. In one of the videos the character being played was a dark templar, and he did a move where he stuck the sword through the other character's neck and then bashed him with the shield.. Totally gruesome. This game looks nasty! I remember feeling like this about a game before.. that I was then addicted for years after.. EQ.. I am not sure if thats a good or bad thing..

After reading posts like kadozer's, I want to run out and grab this game. But does the timing strike anyone else as bad? Summer's just cranking up and the great outdoors is calling - not sure I want to spend a significant amount inside.

Anyway, what's the allure of the PVP server? It seems like it would degenerate into a solid gank-fest. Is there something to give players zero gain/motivation for raping new players 20 levels below them? I know WoW implemented a 'honor' system (albeit a bit late).

Edit: Man, just watched some YouTube videos. I have never anticipated this game at all. After watching the videos I can't wait to play. In one of the videos the character being played was a dark templar, and he did a move where he stuck the sword through the other character's neck and then bashed him with the shield.. Totally gruesome. This game looks nasty! I remember feeling like this about a game before.. that I was then addicted for years after.. EQ.. I am not sure if thats a good or bad thing..

What you saw was a fatality. Each combo has a chance to get a fatality.
I think necro or demonologist is the way to go if your looking for a warlock class.

Just curious, what would be the closest thing to playing a Frost Mage in WoW ? I love the micro-managment of a frost mage and the higher skill cap that the particular spec/class requires at higher rated arena's....

I would love something that would remind me of the burst/cc'ness of a frost mage in WoW!

Im currently rated 2200 in every bracket in WoW-arena but I'm starting to get utterly bored. Season 4 feels like forever away and im itching to PvP in a new world

From the little I have read/viewed that class that seems to intrigue me seems to be the Herald of Xolti - any 1 got any idea's ?

I always get mmo sickness after a while of playing one, when I'm looking there staring at my character whacking stuff, I'm thinking: why would I do this when I can grab a M4A1 and headshot some people. AoC may be different though, the fighting system is more real time.

At first I thought you meant in real life. :eek: And before you got to the "and headshot some people" I was going to agree with you if you meant going outside and plinking. ;)

Everyone I know who is playing the game is a fan of end-game PvP (former DAoC players mostly) and all of us got bored of WoW and its boring endgame, forced PvE raiding etc.

We're all loving AoC, including a few who beta'ed multiple 80's. The combat is fun, and you have to actually PAY ATTENTION, but the leveling goes quick enough thanks to a WoW-esque quest tracking system on the minimap.

Every class I've played has been at least somewhat fun. I'm currently playing a guardian for grouping with my friend's Bear Shaman, a PoM for grouping with the guild when he's not on and a Barbarian for solo playing (stealth since I'm on a PvP server).

A nice change in this game is that the world is not a friendly happy place: you start off by rescuing a whore who is chained up, you kill pirates who weren't paying at the local whorehouse (and steal their money for the Dame). In the priest quest line after the death of his head spy (killed by the warrior quest line I think) he starts slaughtering the poor, and when you go there, you see a big pile of burning bodies, a small comes out and cries, then tells you there is more going on in the sewers under the town.

needless to say, theres no legolazz going off to get some boar meat to make yummy pies here. (well, yes, but there are also other ones).

The game looks great (DX10 or not, who gives a shit). The classes need balancing (like all MMOs at release), not everything works, or works right, there are exploits in game. Typical MMO stuff.

Most people are crying because Funcom has set the endgame keep battles (___FOR NOW___) to be 48 v 48. Sounds like a good start, they can add more later if it seems feasible.

At first I thought you meant in real life. :eek: And before you got to the "and headshot some people" I was going to agree with you if you meant going outside and plinking. ;)

I usually go outside and shoot the AR-15 and Glock for about an hour, then come back in and play the rest of the day and night. Get a 2-in-1 deal there. :D

Dammit you people are making me want to get this game. I've been watching videos since last year or more looking foward to this. I generally stay away from MMO's and stick to Guild Wars for my PVP needs, but i may be getting the itch for a true mmo again! I hated WoW's grinding, and got bored with LOTRO. Anyways, thanks for the initial impressions of the game, keep em coming. I'm going to hold out as long as I can!!!!

I havent read anything about this game really, but yeah I'm probably going to pick it up today. The class list and seeing the fatality videos convinced me. It may actually be nice playing a MMO that I havent obsessed about for months before release...

Already have WAR on preorder too. Damn MMOs.

So yeah, how bad is the death penalty on PvP servers? I will probably just start on one of those and learn the hard way.

I havent read anything about this game really, but yeah I'm probably going to pick it up today. The class list and seeing the fatality videos convinced me. It may actually be nice playing a MMO that I havent obsessed about for months before release...

Already have WAR on preorder too. Damn MMOs.

So yeah, how bad is the death penalty on PvP servers? I will probably just start on one of those and learn the hard way.

There is no death penalty for being killed by another player and there is no player looting. The death penalty for dying in PVE is a small debuff to your attack rating that lasts for 30 minutes, or if you go back to your tombstone you can remove it. The debuff does stack with each death.

OK someone tell me if I would like this based on what I like about MMOs:

I like exploring. I like cool environments that aren't rediculous. Outland killed WoW for me. Nice serene forests and haunted graveyards gave way to outer space. WTF>

I like feeling like there is a story happening, even if I'm not taking part in it.

I like open zones. WoW was good because of no loading, but for some reason every zone was still a giant fenced in area, and you had to walk 1o miles to get around the mountain walls to go anywhere. Also, I didn;t like that my muscular character had trouble climbing a 46 degree angled incline.

Will I like AoC?

Anybody else on the fence? I'm trying to talk myself out of it, but all the good comments and cool videos tempting me! That and I love the Conan movies and books.

OK someone tell me if I would like this based on what I like about MMOs:

I like exploring. I like cool environments that aren't rediculous. Outland killed WoW for me. Nice serene forests and haunted graveyards gave way to outer space. WTF>

I like feeling like there is a story happening, even if I'm not taking part in it.

I like open zones. WoW was good because of no loading, but for some reason every zone was still a giant fenced in area, and you had to walk 1o miles to get around the mountain walls to go anywhere. Also, I didn;t like that my muscular character had trouble climbing a 46 degree angled incline.

Will I like AoC?

I would say try LOTRO, you will enjoy the enviroments.

As far as AOC goes, so far zones seem tiny, and there is a ton of loading. When you move between zones, load time!!!!

Im really not liking these reviews...you guys are making me want to play this game. lol

I guess I'll ask this here instead of starting a new thread. Anyone tried playing on a single core CPU? I've got a P4 2.8 and X800XT video card. Any chance I can run AOC?

I guess I'll ask this here instead of starting a new thread. Anyone tried playing on a single core CPU? I've got a P4 2.8 and X800XT video card. Any chance I can run AOC?

I have a buddy whos playing 1280x1024 w/ lowest settings with a single core amd, x1950 agp and 2gb of ram on xp. He said hes getting around 30-40 fps

Nope, the min requirements on the box say you need a p4 3.0ghz (or equivalent, which is why I'm guessing the guy with a single core amd proc can play).

WAR might still win out for me, going to be trying both. PvP penalty is -300 PVP Xp for each death and you gain 100 PvP XP for each win, so to get to the top levels you'll need one hell of a K/D Ratio.

I like exploring. I like cool environments that aren't ridiculous.
Yes.
Yes. Especially in tortage, where when you play each class Archetype, you can see a different aspect of the story. Not so sure about afterwards, but there seems to be a continuing destiny quest.
I like open zones.
Not really / No.

I plan on picking up the limited edition today. My 8800 GTX and q6600 arive on friday. It will be a good weekend.

Let me rephrase. Loading dowesn't bother me as long as there is some kind of transition, like in the original EQ. You'd hit a zoneline but it wasn;t a little circle, it spanned the entire horizon.

Are the zones at least big, or are they claustrophobic? Are the screenshots with characters standing on top of a mountain looking into a huge valley accurate? Can I do that?

Let me rephrase. Loading dowesn't bother me as long as there is some kind of transition, like in the original EQ. You'd hit a zoneline but it wasn;t a little circle, it spanned the entire horizon.

Are the zones at least big, or are they claustrophobic? Are the screenshots with characters standing on top of a mountain looking into a huge valley accurate? Can I do that?

There is a mountain outside of Tortage that lets you look over the city. Areas are smaller than WoW and LOTRO thus far, way smaller. Grass/Trees are ONE DIMENSIONAL!!!! As you rotate, they rotate with you, I find it very gay.

Hrm I got really excited about this game over the last few days but now Im starting to read a lot of stuff that's just off putting. Small zones which require loading, in comparisons to WoWs bigger zones which DON'T require loading...

I did notice the sprite look of the trees, I expect it from grass but the trees in the screenshots do look a bit crap. With the Assassin class turning out to be a bit different from what I thought it would be, I may just wait for Warhammer :/

Hrm I got really excited about this game over the last few days but now Im starting to read a lot of stuff that's just off putting. Small zones which require loading, in comparisons to WoWs bigger zones which DON'T require loading

*sigh* I want an MMO with DX10 graphics, no load times, huge zones, everthing available at launch with no problems :rolleyes:

*sigh* I want an MMO with DX10 graphics, no load times, huge zones, everthing available at launch with no problems :rolleyes:

LOTRO!!!lol

Really though, story is pretty good, but I am not feeling it right now. I will play at least to 20 to see where it goes though.

You roll your eyes is if that is an unreasonable desire.

How dare you want a game that uses modern technology, works when you paid for it as opposed to a few months later, is seamless and large like existing mmo's, and you can do all of the things they said you would be able to without waiting for 10 patches to add the "feature" later.

I am not gonna lie, this will bother me more than anything else the game does :D

It bothers me alot. I am seriously about to quit, it's ridiculous. Higher levels really like to camp everybody else. If that ain't bad, meh, everything besides teh water doesn't even look that great.

For those that have bought the game already (I have not). Will the DX10 version just be a download? Or will it be a completely different version that you have to buy?

It bothers me alot. I am seriously about to quit, it's ridiculous. Higher levels really like to camp everybody else. If that ain't bad, meh, everything besides teh water doesn't even look that great.

Are the trees in the distance? Can you run up to one, then look down and see that its just a cardboard cutout? Maybe this is a video setting... Hopefully... I can not even remember the last game I played with 2D trees in it.

Are the trees in the distance? Can you run up to one, then look down and see that its just a cardboard cutout? Maybe this is a video setting... Hopefully... I can not even remember the last game I played with 2D trees in it.

Nope, not a video setting. I checked. Everything close and far away is one dimensional. You can't really see over the top of it, because as you move, teh tree moves too, so you see that one side over and over again.

On the other hand, fuck this shit...I am done

This is completely ridiculous. PVP in this game needs to change, there are like 5 lvl 20's camping every spawn point; all they do is kill lover levels...

Back