AoC

So are there buddy keys? I really want to try the game but dont want to make it a $50 experiment. Anyone know if their going to offer a trial for it soon?

Yeah, AoC has no true HEALER class. :(

Which is fine with me. The healing classes actually require more than just "stand back there, monitor health bars and spam heals". That mechanic really was getting stale so I applaud Funcom for actually trying to make healers get right in the midst of battles. I can't count how many times I've fallen asleep or "Oops! I just lost internet connection! ;) Guess I'm done healing tonight." from healing in these games.

I played a priest in wow before I quit, and usually enjoy the class more then any.

At least at level 14 though, the heals are pretty weaksauce, you get a renew and a regrowth like spell, I take it you've played wow, so these are the only direct comparisons i can give you. The regrowth-like spell is ~0.5 second cast and the renew is a 1.5 second. Unlike wow, these apply to your entire group when you cast them. They are also on cooldowns. (3-6 seconds).

The class seems to have more defensive manuevers thus far rather then straight healing. At ten you get a move called repulse and it freaking destroys. Its like a 2.5 second cast, does aoe damage, does an AOE knockback and stun.

Me and a ranger were up against assassin/barb and another melee, and we wrecked them. they were level 11/12 and i was 13 he was 12. Mainly because they all used the old wow "zerg the healer" tactic. I think if they would have went for the ranger we would have lost as my heals aren't that good. I really hope the heals get better by level 20, but thusfar im enjoying it even if the heals aren't that powerful yet.

Hrmm so what replaces the standard "tank and spank" boss fights from WoW? And the "CC two mobs while killing and tanking another two mobs"? I have not gotten very far into AoC...

Hrmm so what replaces the standard "tank and spank" boss fights from WoW? And the "CC two mobs while killing and tanking another two mobs"?

I've only grouped once (as a 23 Tempest of Set with a 25 Herald of Xotli) and it looks more of a "destroy everything in your path" kind of thing instead of the old school tank and blast we're all so familiar with. Good fun, we probably completed like 6 quests in a matter of minutes. If anyone has grouped at higher levels feel free to chime in. I have a bit of a problem making alts :(. I have since made a HoX and a Priest of Mitra (that is now lv 24).

Heals are going to have to be spammed naturally since they are only short regens but if you notice in the feat trees, you can train abilities that boost heals or add healing elements to your offensive spells. The feat trees here look like they offer a lot of flexibility and most of the time you'll be spreading points between all 3 trees (you can't fully spec one tree anyway -- encourages you to make your own build) Regardless, all healers are pretty much going to have to fight and do more than just stand there and heal.

Conclusion:
The first time you sat in anticipation while playing Everquest, not really knowing what the hell you were doing, and were not exactly sure what an "MMO" was all about but enjoying it nonetheless

This sentence made me buy this game. Thank you.

This sentence made me buy this game. Thank you.

=D Its funny, it doesn't totally feel like the old EQ, but it some how has remnants of it. Perhaps it is the "ugly trees" someone posted about earlier. I think the game looks absolutely stunning for an MMO, but it does tend to remind me just a bit of EQ. (Which I think is a good thing) Lets just hope the addiction doesn't follow suit.

I think you will have good fun. Good luck. Pick the Bluesteel PvP server! My characters name is Censure, and you can join us on vent if you would like.

-K

So are there buddy keys? I really want to try the game but dont want to make it a $50 experiment. Anyone know if their going to offer a trial for it soon?

I already said this 100 times.....

In order to get a buddy key, you must go to Funcom's site and get one via account management. That's all gravy, however Funcom hasn't released them yet.

Ended up getting it on amazon a few days ago so i get to wait for it to arrive. Probably be AFTER the weekend/holidays but not too concerned tho.
Always figure if i don't like it i can always quit after a month and if i do i can keep on playing... :)
Any chanter type classes in AoC? Just curious as i'd rather not play the same classses everyone is going to roll at the start. (gotta be the odd man out)

I'm having a great time with the game so far, I'm level 13 Conqueror.

One question...Is there combos to do just using normal attacks? I'm just hitting where they don't have any blocking (white parts) and just hitting that button over and over. Is there a better way?

I'm having a great time with the game so far, I'm level 13 Conqueror.

One question...Is there combos to do just using normal attacks? I'm just hitting where they don't have any blocking (white parts) and just hitting that button over and over. Is there a better way?

Do you use your skills??

Your skills will tell you what combo you need to hit in order to trigger the skill you have just used.

Do you use your skills??

Your skills will tell you what combo you need to hit in order to trigger the skill you have just used.

he is talking about normal attacks, like when the skills are on cooldown and you just need to mash through 4 crocodiles without thinking about it.

Any chanter type classes in AoC? Just curious as i'd rather not play the same classses everyone is going to roll at the start. (gotta be the odd man out)

The healers (Priest, Tempest and Bear Shaman) have some form of crowd control but I think the Tempest of Set has the most feats that buff up the mez spells they get. Priest has more knockback type effect and not sure what bear shaman has since I didn't play one past 8. Regardless, it's mostly spread out as far as the classes go. Barbarians are definitely the most played though.

Do you use your skills??

I use the skills, where you have to push the skill then a direction to activate it, but I was talking just about normal attacks. Do you do more damage switching between directions or is the same as just pushing one over and over again?

I use the skills, where you have to push the skill then a direction to activate it, but I was talking just about normal attacks. Do you do more damage switching between directions or is the same as just pushing one over and over again?

Oh, well it depends on where their shields are at. If there is a side that is unprotected, I would hit that first and spam it until the shields rotate. Once they rotate, I would either begin hitting the least defended areas, if there is one shield in each side, i would use attacks from all directions.

The direction you swing will depend on where the enemies' "shields" are. They look like white parenthesis around the character. Your character also has them (they are yellow) and you can set them to whatever direction although it's pretty difficult to switch these on the fly while fighting.

Watch the first video on the link below and skip to about 1:32 mins in. It does a good job explaining about the virtual shield system.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52501

I'm sure this is explained in the game manual but who reads those these days? :rolleyes: ;) :D

Once I got the Repulse skill as a Priest of Mitra the game got a lot better my second night. I think the PVP aspect of the game is really tweck though with the ass hattery much higher than other MMO's

Once I got the Repulse skill as a Priest of Mitra the game got a lot better my second night. I think the PVP aspect of the game is really tweck though with the ass hattery much higher than other MMO's

If you play on Deathwhisper, newbs from BG9 etc in WoW are there, but they are only all talk.

I typically try to play the least liked or played classes in an MMO, so i chose the Herald of Xoti, and wow, what a strange class. Two handed sword melee caster type of class that can only wear cloth. Very interesting.

As for the trolls who keep asking for buddy keys, they haven't given them out yet because they are trying to handle the rush of paying customers, so go troll somewhere else please.

I am avid EQ2 player, but this game is starting to win me over. Once you get out of tortage, the game does get alot better imo.

Just ordered my copy. I prefer to play hybrids between casting and beating shit up with swords, kinda like a cleric or fighter/wizard/elderich knight multi-class from D&D. The Tempest of Set seems the most interesting to me from the class descriptions, what do they play like?

I already said this 100 times.....

In order to get a buddy key, you must go to Funcom's site and get one via account management. That's all gravy, however Funcom hasn't released them yet.

Thank you 101 times! :D

How much of a time sink is AoC in comparison to WoW? I was one of those hardcore top 10 worldwide guild WoW addicts that played 10+ hours a day and just wondering if this game really needs that much time invested in it to have fun, yet have good gear.

I really don't feel like having to play endless hours of honor grinding or raiding again in order to be the best.

Woot installed and patching now, even got the free drinking cape code in my email :) , DAMN 621 MB patch!! lets hope i like it more than wow.

How much of a time sink is AoC in comparison to WoW? I was one of those hardcore top 10 worldwide guild WoW addicts that played 10+ hours a day and just wondering if this game really needs that much time invested in it to have fun, yet have good gear.

I really don't feel like having to play endless hours of honor grinding or raiding again in order to be the best.

Lot less of a grind. Examples off the top of my head: No repairing gear, quest drops where you need to kill X number of wolves for chance of dropping needed quest item is nonexistent, and quest rewards are really good with lots of blues given from levels 20 on up.

Love the game can't wait for the upcoming patches. When's the expansion? lol

btw you probably will like this great aoc thread on the---> FoH board

How do the character classes interact in AoC. I perfer MMO where you have to work as a team. Tanks, healers, crowd control, damage dealers. You have a role in a party and it was important or else the party wiped. EQ and Vanguard are very good for this, WOW and Guild Wars were not. The later 2 everyone would jump their own mob and teamwork was minimal.

What are your opinions?

How do the character classes interact in AoC. I perfer MMO where you have to work as a team. Tanks, healers, crowd control, damage dealers. You have a role in a party and it was important or else the party wiped. EQ and Vanguard are very good for this, WOW and Guild Wars were not. The later 2 everyone would jump their own mob and teamwork was minimal.

What are your opinions?

Well, I can't speak for the rest of the game, since I haven't gotten that far. So far, it's "do as much damage as you can" type of a game. Some mobs do hit hard, but if you are in a group with 2 mellee damage class, you will do just fine. Instances have NORMAL and ELITE mods, in ELITE everything is boss and much harder to kill. Within the elite instance, even for a group of 2 decent DPS it is very hard to complete. Thus far, I have to think that the game is more about DPS rather than healing.

I'm really enjoying this game. It has its' flaws but what game doesn't? I've never liked an MMO game this much and I've tried most of them at some point.

I heard the collectors edition came with trial keys. Does anyone have a spare one? I would really like to try this game out.

How could you even tell at this point? Compared to the same point in WoW's timeline people wouldn't have reached Strat or Scholo let alone raids.

I heard the collectors edition came with trial keys. Does anyone have a spare one? I would really like to try this game out.

I will say this for 102 time....The buddy keys are not on paper. You have to retrieve them via Funcom's site. Guess what? THEY ARE NOT OUT YET!!! Grr, when will people read reply's.

On the other hand, I have been having really great time with AOC, very fun game.

If anybody wants to, hit me up on DoomSlayer....Rohust

I will say this for 102 time....The buddy keys are not on paper. You have to retrieve them via Funcom's site. Guess what? THEY ARE NOT OUT YET!!! Grr, when will people read reply's.

On the other hand, I have been having really great time with AOC, very fun game.

If anybody wants to, hit me up on DoomSlayer....Rohust
I don't want to read 10 pages of replies. See you answered my question quickly and easily. I guess I shall wait for funcom to open the wave of keys.

Which is fine with me. The healing classes actually require more than just "stand back there, monitor health bars and spam heals". That mechanic really was getting stale so I applaud Funcom for actually trying to make healers get right in the midst of battles. I can't count how many times I've fallen asleep or "Oops! I just lost internet connection! ;) Guess I'm done healing tonight." from healing in these games.

Ok, so its more fun in PvE to be a healer now, I still missing actually having heals, not just, cast 2 hots and nuke. You know, that "omg massive pull", healer spams the big heals, pulls aggro and hopes to hell the tanks rescue him, then hast to blow an instant group heal to keep the group up, and surviving at the last possible second...

Theres a reason my forum name is Healsfortehw1n. Because being a GOOD healer is awesome.

In PvP playing a healer was "the art of standing in a field waving your arms over your head trailing sparkly stuff and not being seen". or how to kite them to boredom. I personally loved it.

Having a lot of fun right now in the game, still undecided what class I want to stick with for 80 levels.

The only thing I dont like about this game is that...pretty much 1-15 so far doesnt have much multiplayer, so a bunch of us cant start out at the same zone and work together, gotta play with yourself for 2-3 hours before you can meet up. =(

Thats not really true dextr3k. I'll give some insight on 1-20 for people who are interested.

When you start the game you immediately begin a quest to help a woman. After completing the quest line involving her (which i won't detail to not spoil it), you wind up in the newbie town. The main focus of this town is getting the hell out of it, and the way to do so is through your class archetype's "Destiny quest". You start it by converting the starting town to "night time" and then it becomes single player only. The rogue one that i've gone through so far has been enjoyable, not at all a grind or anything. It forces you at some points to be of a certain level to continue through the quest.

Just doing the destiny quest itself will not get you from 5-20 to leave the isle. I started the quest when i was about lvl 12 or so. I got all the way through it to the last part where you are required to be lvl 19 to start it and it took me from 12 --> 16 or so. I had to return to "day mode" and do quests around town to get up to 19 where i could then finish the rest.

EDIT: An awesome reference for all of the destiny quests can be found at: http://www.tentonhammer.com/aoc

Just picked this up, flicking through the manual at work, can't wait to get home.

Anyone know what time the servers are going up today? (GMT)

Playing this for the third night I have my priest of mitra to lvl 17 should be out of Tortage tonight. I plan on staying up late since its friday night. One thing I do appreciate about the healer class isnt that you are a straight healer, the game gives you a good ability to whoop some ass too :D.

I picked this up yesterday, and rolled a Dark Templar. I have a couple of stupid questions:

1) What is the penalty for dying? I died 3 times in the first instance (the solo instance where you have to talk to the slave master). There didn't seem to be any penalties associated with death, but I can't image that AoC wouldn't have some sort of penalty for death. Are there different PvP/PvE penalties?

2) The Dark Templar has a skill (available at level 6 or so) that boosts the life gained from life-tap. But what is life-tap? It doesn't seem to be a separate active skill. I'm not sure if it's a passive class ability, or if I'm missing something obvious. But I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't get a skill to boost life-tap's effectiveness, unless I already had life-tap.

I am wondering how AoC is comparted to lotro. I enjoy lotro but find it annoying that I always need a fellowship to move on in the story. I am a causal player but that changes from game to game.

Colin

I picked this up yesterday, and rolled a Dark Templar. I have a couple of stupid questions:

1) What is the penalty for dying? I died 3 times in the first instance (the solo instance where you have to talk to the slave master). There didn't seem to be any penalties associated with death, but I can't image that AoC wouldn't have some sort of penalty for death. Are there different PvP/PvE penalties?

2) The Dark Templar has a skill (available at level 6 or so) that boosts the life gained from life-tap. But what is life-tap? It doesn't seem to be a separate active skill. I'm not sure if it's a passive class ability, or if I'm missing something obvious. But I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't get a skill to boost life-tap's effectiveness, unless I already had life-tap.

I have a DT as well but I haven't allocated my skill points (level 17). I'm pretty sure life tap adds onto your life leech skills.

Back