Anything wrong with this planned build?

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
If my Amazon Sabertooth P67 order comes through, I'll likely be upgrading my rig.

Planned
  • Antec Nine Hundred Two
  • Asus Sabertooth P67
  • I7-2600K
  • 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 C8
  • Megahalems Rev.B
  • MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GTX 560 Ti (Fermi)
  • Corsair AX750

Current
  • Antec Nine Hundred Two
  • Asus P5Q Pro
  • E8400 @ 3.6
  • 2x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 C4 DHX
  • Xigmatek S1283
  • EVGA GTX 260
  • Corsair HX620

Aside from some (potential) nitpicking about the case and what you'll be using the computer for, everything looks fine.

So, what will you be using this computer for? :p

Using my current case to save money. I like the Graphite 600T, but it's quite a bit larger than my Nine Hundred Two.

System use is the usual. Web, movies, music, plus web design, gaming, and more.

Looks pretty solid. Quality parts and should perform about anything well.

Yeah, I saw that. Just under $300 with tax, which is about $30 less than I've found online.

Is the AX750 worth getting over the HX750? Do I even need 750W for a GTX 560? I think it calls for a minimum 500W PSU, but I'm sure the system wouldn't draw more than, what, 300W under load?

I like the AX's efficiency, but no matter what PSU I go with, it has to be modular of course. :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why the NZXT over the HX750? Nearly the same price for the same power, and both are 80 Plus. I can't say I like the white of the NZXT, especially going into an all-black case.

Hmm. The Silverstone seems worth considering too.

Why the NZXT over the HX750? Nearly the same price for the same power, and both are 80 Plus. I can't say I like the white of the NZXT, especially going into an all-black case.
The White color actually :D

I just built a system using the same CPU and the Corsair Vengeance memory but on a P8P67 Pro mobo. What Danny told me about that memory is this:

Well the problem is that even with overclocking planned, DDR3 1600 offers ZERO tangible benefits when using the Sandy Bridge CPUs. There's also very very little real world difference between DDR3 1333 and DDR3 1600 RAM. So in other words, you paid an extra $24 for no benefits whatsoever.

I got 2x4GB (2 sets) locally at Microcenter for $104/set, and I like the way it looks, so I decided to keep it anyway. Danny was helpful to me, and I am passing his advice about this on to you in case you want to save more $s.

Of course, since he is picking a psu based on its color, he surely will understand my keeping the Vengeance based on its cool flairs! ;)

Last edited:
I'd like to push it to 4GHz at least. Why are there no tangible benefits? The Vengeance RAM doesn't seem to come in any flavors under 1600MHz. It's so sexy. :D :(

Unlike past Intel CPUs, when overclocking the Sandy Bridge CPUs you don't touch the RAM at all. As such, you can OC the Sandy Bridge CPU to 5Ghz and still be fine with DDR3 1333 RAM. In addition, there's very very little real world performance difference between DDR3 1333 and DDR3 1600 RAM, especially in games.

Heh, good. The 1:1 ratio always tripped me up. Nice not having to worry about the memory now.

Also, would there be a noticeable difference between using two memory slots in dual channel vs. four memory slots in condensed dual channel?

New plan:

• (X) Antec Nine Hundred Two
  • (X) Asus Sabertooth P67
  • i5-2500k
  • (X) G.Skill Ripjaws Series X 2x4GB DDR3-1600 C9
  • (X) Corsair 750HX
  • Megahalems Rev. B

X = purchased or already own

But I don't know what video card. I currently have two monitors, a 25.5" @ 1920x1200 and a 19" at 1280x1024. Someday I want to get another 1920x1200 monitor. I don't want Eyefinity, as I can't stand the bezels disrupting the images. The HD 6950 flashed to a 6970 seems promising, but they are power-hungry, so heat would be a concern. I really like the MSI Twin Frozr II/OC 560 Ti, but I'm still open to suggestions. I'm not too interested in Crossfire or SLI; I'm not looking to spend that much on graphics.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Grr, I can't decide on a heatsink. I'm most leaning towards the Corsair A70 since it's $46.24 with a $15 rebate. I'm planning a modest overclock, like 4.2GHz maybe. Nothing too crazy/hot, at least with the weather starting to warm up. Good cooler?

I have my 2500k running @ 4.5 with a cm hyper 212+ and not going past 55C under load. The A70 should be able to easily hit the same speeds. Wouldn't be surprised if the stock cooler can handle 4.2 ;)

But I don't know what video card. I currently have two monitors, a 25.5" @ 1920x1200 and a 19" at 1280x1024. Someday I want to get another 1920x1200 monitor. I don't want Eyefinity, as I can't stand the bezels disrupting the images. The HD 6950 flashed to a 6970 seems promising, but they are power-hungry, so heat would be a concern. I really like the MSI Twin Frozr II/OC 560 Ti, but I'm still open to suggestions. I'm not too interested in Crossfire or SLI; I'm not looking to spend that much on graphics.
What matters more to you? Lowest power consumption while achieving acceptable performance or best bang for the buck value in terms of price to performance ratio?

As for heat, a good case would mitigate that. I think the 900-2 might be able to mitigate that.
Grr, I can't decide on a heatsink. I'm most leaning towards the Corsair A70 since it's $46.24 with a $15 rebate. I'm planning a modest overclock, like 4.2GHz maybe. Nothing too crazy/hot, at least with the weather starting to warm up. Good cooler?
I recommend this HSF:
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156

The Sandy Bridge CPUs don't run that hot, even OC'd, when compared to their predecessors. As such, you can easily go with a cheap HSF and still be good to go.

The A70 is about the same price as the Hyper 212+ after rebate at Newegg. The A70 is better, right?

Actually it's a bit cheaper than the Hyper 212+ now.

Last edited:
The A70 is about the same price as the Hyper 212+ after rebate at Newegg. The A70 is better, right?

Actually it's a bit cheaper than the Hyper 212+ now.

The A70 is better but I don't factor in rebates.

Ordered the A70 from Newegg (26.24 after MIR). Still can't decide on a graphics solution. If I don't get one before I assemble this new build, I'll be using my GTX 260 until I do.

An HD 6970 is better than a 560 Ti, yes? From what I've gathered, the Radeon uses a lot more power though. My initial choice was the MSI Twin Frozr II/OC 560 Ti, but now I'm leaning towards getting a good, reference 6950 and flashing it to a 6970. I just don't know what to get.

Does multi-GPU microstuttering still exist? I'm not entirely opposed to getting two 6950s and flashing them to 6970s.

EDIT: Can a 750HX power an overclocked i5-2500k and Crossfire 6970s?

Last edited:
An HD 6970 is better than a 560 Ti, yes? From what I've gathered, the Radeon uses a lot more power though. My initial choice was the MSI Twin Frozr II/OC 560 Ti, but now I'm leaning towards getting a good, reference 6950 and flashing it to a 6970. I just don't know what to get.
Yes the HD 6970 is faster than the 560 Ti.
Does multi-GPU microstuttering still exist? I'm not entirely opposed to getting two 6950s and flashing them to 6970s.
Probably. Don't think that was a widespread issue anyway.
EDIT: Can a 750HX power an overclocked i5-2500k and Crossfire 6970s?

IMO, no.

Back