Anything wrong with these for entry level?

That is a classic "entry level" headphone. Specifically, they tend to be very good with "thumpy" stuff like rock or hip-hop. I believe they also like amplification if you can provide it, but my memory's a little foggy there...I'll come back with something more definite on that shortly.

Be careful though, next thing you know you'll be making a Head-Fi account and getting "sorry about your wallet" responses. ;)


Edit:

Okay, I was mixing them up somewhat with the SR80s. They should be fine with no amplification. To quote a little on these:

"Wonderful liquid mids! Amazing with guitars. Not harsh to me, but to some. Lacking in bass."

From the Head-Fi buyer's guide sticky.
 
Haha, everything I do at this point in my life hurts my wallet (Still in HS and no job).

I did see about the SR80. Little more than I'd like to spend for an entry level headphone. (Though if its recommended that I go with those I can but, I won't have an amp of any sort right away).


I've been looking at the Cmoy amps (to build my own) but, the only amp chip I could get my hands on locally was the TL082 and I still don't have all the parts I need.

Would an amp help with bass response?
 
It can, although I'm not really sure about these in particular. Amplification just increases the peak to peak voltage of the signal and provides the capacity for higher current draw if needed. If you already have sufficient current and the volume range provided is fine, it actually won't do much. There's an audible way in which music is distorted if this is a problem, and it's actually fairly easy to spot.

These should be really nice. Selecting headphones does depend heavily on your personal taste, and on your preference in music. If you want a few alternatives, what's your budget like? <= $100ish? You're already posting open cans, so I assume isolation isn't an issue?
 
These should be really nice. If you want a few alternatives, what's your budget like? <= $100ish? You're already posting open cans, so I assume isolation isn't an issue?


Yea, about a hundred. I can stretch it in the next few weeks if need be (getting about 100 off some stuff I sold on ebay).

Hmm, I didn't even pay attention to them being open. What exactly do you mean by "isolation"?
 
Open means the cups have holes in them. They leak more sound out and in but also breath better and have a bit more of an airy sound to them. Well, normally, Grado is NOT for fps gaming. The sound stage is way too close in. If this is for portable, music use, fine, ok. If it is for gaming, I would get the SB40 first.
 
Open means the cups have holes in them. They leak more sound out and in but also breath better and have a bit more of an airy sound to them. Well, normally, Grado is NOT for fps gaming. The sound stage is way too close in. If this is for portable, music use, fine, ok. If it is for gaming, I would get the SB40 first.

No, not for gaming. Only game I've been playing lately is Starcraft and I haven't even been using sound with it.

Mainly for music with the laptop. Since my room is on the same floor of the house as my moms I can't use speakers cause she says I turn them up to loud and it pisses her off :rolleyes:
 
Link to the Koss SB40:

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-SB40-Computer-Headset-Microphone/dp/B00005ML7T

Koss tends to actually be pretty good with the low-end stuff. But the Grados and the others that follow should all be better for music.

Some folks like Sennheiser too, but I think their low end stuff is too...umm...well, I think it's made out of cheap plastic and falls apart in a light wind. They work well enough for most, although possibly after some duct tape.

If you need isolation (again, the ability to keep outside sounds out and the sound from the headphones in) in a closed set, the ATH-A500 might be nice. Here's one place carrying them, although there might be someplace cheaper.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/AudioTechnica-ATHA500-Headphones?sku=244509&src=3SOSWXXA

There's also the Sony V6 which I'm a little fond of. They're "extremely neutral" as they're intended for studio use, but they're ridiculously durable and pretty nice for the price. They are also about the only headphones I know in that price range with velour earpads (you have to mod them on using replacements intended for a compatible Beyerdynamics model, but this is easy). $70 + shipping unmodded, or another $20 to turn it into head pillows.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/358337-REG/Sony_MDRV6_MDR_V6_Closed_Back.html
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmm, interesting choices.

I still prefer something smaller like the SR-60s since there is a chance these will get carried to school with my laptop.

And, even as stupid as this sounds, I'm picky about how they look.
 
Well, not the Audio Technicas then. Those things have cups the size of CDs.

The V6's fold nicely. The cable also coils like a telephone cord, which is nice (but it's got some rubberized coating on it, so it doesn't really kink like one). The durability, again, is great...these often last 10+ years if you don't actively abuse them.

If you look at this photo, notice that the Grados can fold flat. They're still reasonably portable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-m...DPMU4/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_2?ie=UTF8&index=2

There are also options like Koss KSC75/35 clip-ons or IEM (in-ear modules) that you shove in your ear canal if you need "stick it in your pocket" or "hang it around your neck" portability. But I don't think either the Grado or Sony phones would be a problem there.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think the folding flat is what caught my attention, aside from the "professional" look.


It's not like they need to be able to fold up to the size of an altoids can. As long as they're portable and don't get in the way within a reasonable tolerance I'm good. Can't be no worse than my 15" laptop :p
 
I like Koss for portability if you want headphones. There are several small models. Portapro, sportapro, ksc-75 all are decent and all have a break it? send it in and get another pair no bull warranty.

but

If you want really decent sound, really portable, go with IEMS. I would get an entry level like the JVC HA-FX66

http://www.&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;/jvc/pe/JVC_HAFX66B/

Comfortable, decent sound with great isolation and thus better detail than you have ever heard before.
 
Yeah, if you see hearts, the forum is nuking something. Not sure what site he's trying to link you to, but that's why.
 
Well, for example if I type &#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829; all you'll see is a bunch of &#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;.

Could be anything. I think it's a 1:1 correspondence between hearts and characters, though?
 
Well, for example if I type &#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829; all you'll see is a bunch of &#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;&#9829;.

Could be anything. I think it's a 1:1 correspondence between hearts and characters, though?

:confused: Don't explain any further. I'll just get more confused and ruin my good mood.

Lets go back on topic.
 
Sorry the link did not work. The JVC HA-FX66 are comfortable for their style. Very comfortable actually. Their range is actually better than an open headphone too. Whatever you like though. Just showing you the options at the low end of portability. There is MUCH more behind the curtain lol.
 
Me either, usually. They're good for public transport and such.

Did we leave any questions unanswered at this point?
 
Me either, usually. They're good for public transport and such.

Did we leave any questions unanswered at this point?

No, don't think so.

But, what about an amp? Even if it doesn't help bass, from what I've read it can atleast make them sound better (as in cleaner sound and such). Correct me if I'm wrong.


Any decent (preferably small and possibly battery powered) amp/pre-amps under $100?

Or am I left out in the cold and forced to make my own (although thats not really a big problem)?
 
If you have a decent portable player then all is well. No amps needed. Certainly not for Grado or Koss.

I drove a pair of Senn 600s with a Cowan F2 player though. Cowan is serious tech.
 
If you have a decent portable player then all is well. No amps needed. Certainly not for Grado or Koss.

I drove a pair of Senn 600s with a Cowan F2 player though. Cowan is serious tech.

Laptop as I mentioned earlier. Thats why I'm asking about the amp.
 
Sometimes. It really depends on the headphones. Building a CMoy for the sake of building a CMoy can be pretty fun, though. It's also a ~$20 project provided you have access to equipment.

You can buy a prebuilt Mini3 flat out for ~$125. There are plenty of options here, but I would really wait until after you have headphones in hand to worry about this unless they're known to need it. Most reasonably portable phones don't - if for no other reason than that it would be really silly to engineer phones with portability in mind then make it so they don't work well with a portable source.

I drove a pair of Senn 600s with a Cowan F2 player though. Cowan is serious tech.

o_O

Heh, the first Google result for that player is your Head-Fi thread selling it for upgrade $$s...

Laptop as I mentioned earlier. Thats why I'm asking about the amp.

Laptop battery >> iPod battery. It's less engineered for quality audio output in most cases, but I imagine it would be even less prone to underdriving phones than a portable audio player would be.
 
You can buy a prebuilt Mini3 flat out for ~$125. There are plenty of options here, but I would really wait until after you have headphones in hand to worry about this unless they're known to need it. Most reasonably portable phones don't - if for no other reason than that it would be really silly to engineer phones with portability in mind then make it so they don't work well with a portable source.

I googled a little on tha Mini3 there. I didn't quite understand their page, do the kits come with everything needed to build it or do you have to source a lot the parts yourself?
 
Source yourself yeah. Great little amp though. Not hard to get the parts either.
 
They carry the board, faceplates if you want them, and any parts that are tricky to source as a courtesy. Stuff like resistors that are simple to get, they're not set up to mess with. The Mini3 project is more of a community contribution than a business venture.

I'm looking at building that one myself, I rather like the way the circuit handles the ground path. :D
 
Hmm, I'll keep one of those in mind. As long as the parts aren't to exotic I think digi-key should carry them (I've got one of their 3" thick ( :eek: ) catalogs. I might be able to get my teacher (computer/electronic class) to help if I build one. He's a freakin Einstein compared to me.

I think I'm set on the SR-60s. Maybe even the 80s if I can find them on a good deal.
 
SR80s for $85.50

Yeah, they're being twits about showing the price. *shrug*

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/grado/grado-sr-80.php

Go here:

http://www.headphone.com/emailCoupon.php?icn=0020090080

And you'll get an e-mail right away with the price & a checkout code to use.

Awsome, will that deal hold out? Also, how good is their rep? I have to order stuff with my moms CC and I've just now only got her to let me order from newegg, so she's kinda picky.
 
Back
Top