Anyone think this guy is right?

I don't think supply need be good right now. Whether they have the cards ready or not. There aren't many games demanding big new cards, yet. And this gives Nvidia plenty of time to see What AMD does. And then they can simply react one way or another. They did need to adjust their price stack, due to consoles, at the least.

There is a small demand for more raster performance at the high end. And it seems Nividia has probably delivered that. People who want more solid performance at 4K and/or people who want to hit 144fps or better, in more than a handful of games.

I'm not expecting the ray tracing preformance to be amazing. Because they only stated 1.7x raytracing performance, compared to Turing-----while also dramatically pairing back the amount of RT cores. 3070 may be a bit better than a 2080ti in raster performance. But, it looks (based on RT core count/stated paper stats on performance uplifts) like its effectively still going to be a 1080p card, for Ray Tracing. and the 3080 looks to slot just about prefectly into 1440p for RT.
Unless there is some extra sauce which has yet to be fully revealed. Which there MAY be. I remember reading that in addition to the general 1.7x RT performance up lift: overall game performance is supposed to be affected less by RT, than before.
But I won't be surprised if RT performance isn't a big leap. There still isn't a demand for it by games. And no one expects AMD to have highly performant RT on their first swign. And by the time maybe 5 more games come out with RT----Nvidia could spin up a refresh product line with more RT cores.

I look at it like this:
  • The best binned chips are going to the FE
  • The most complexed board is on the FE
  • The best air cooler, appears to be significantly better, is on the FE
  • The FE is selling for the cheapest cost, huh? :confused:
  • The cheap 3080 AIBs look exactly like that, cheap
    • Worst binned chips
    • Cheaper reference board design
    • Cheaper cooler
    • Yet is costing above MSRP from Nvidia
  • This is not rocket science, if 10,000 customers are willing to put the effort everyday for the next month, constantly checking Nvidia site for the 3080 FE, and Nvidia only delivers 1000 of them -> You have a 1/10 chance of getting one
    • I would say most would just buy an AIB model at some stage
    • Nvidia sold 1000 in this case at MSRP sorry for your luck, nothing legally you will be able to do
      • Now Nvidia does sell AIB or links to AIB cards, interesting someone earlier mentions Bait and Switch, so how Nvidia plays this out will be interesting
    • Waiting may prove rather fruitless, luck maybe more in order
What to look for:
  • Very few getting 3080 FE, for example in this forum who tried to obtain a 3080 FE
  • 3080 FE always out everywhere with short little blips
  • AIB cards always costing more and plentiful, in stock
What to hope for:
  • True competition and good pricing from AMD with plenty of cards, variations of cards from AIBs etc.
    • Don't know much about AMD but looks like the AIB models will not be prevalent as in Nvidia's case.
  • Nvidia can supply enough FE cards at MSRP
Those who are patient may just make out better once the dust settles next year. I will put some effort into a 3080 but it will be rather short lived. If Nvidia wants to sell me a card then it better be damn well available without too much inconvenience.

Last edited:
Fake shortage coming

I am not normally one to read conspiracy theories, but this sounds a bit scary (with the distinct chance some of it may be true)

I would like to hear what [H]ard folks think of this theory.

Kid

He's not credible. He knows nothing.
AdoreTV just takes the facts and puts his opinion/analysis on it, but Moores Law get news from Google and twist it to fit his narrative.
FE cards have always sold out and remain hard to get for months after launch. He will use that as NV creating a shortage.
AIBs will always charge over MSRP to make a profit on creating their own coolers and over engineering. NV doesn't make more money when AIBs charge more. But they cant charge less than MSRP unless NV says so.

EVGA buys the chips they need at one time from NV at a set price. There isn't any premium above that because FE is sold out.

Last edited:
He's not credible. He knows nothing.
AdoreTV just takes the facts and puts his opinion/analysis on it, but Moores Law get news from Google and twist it to fit his narrative.
FE cards have always sold out and remain hard to get for months after launch. He will use that as NV creating a shortage.
AIBs will always charge over MSRP to make a profit on creating their own coolers and over engineering. NV doesn't make more money when AIBs charge more. But they cant charge less than MSRP unless NV says so.

EVGA buys the chips they need at one time from NV at a set price. There isn't any premium above that because FE is sold out.
Is there a way to downvote a post? Asking for friends.

Yeah, apparently performance speculation actually covers totally everything 3 series related and making a thread outside of it that has been mentioned in its 81 pages will be closed by a mod very passive agrressivley... So yeah. Read every 81 pages I guess!

I've often wished threads could be mini forums with a main page with sticky posts and latest posts and sub threads or folders that posters can put their posts in or link their posts to. Like tags too, so you make a post but can add tags that make folders and or filters that show at the top of the thread.

I've often wished threads could be mini forums with a main page with sticky posts and latest posts and sub threads or folders that posters can put their posts in or link their posts to. Like tags too, so you make a post but can add tags that make folders and or filters that show at the top of the thread.
Herding cats, brother!

Back