Anyone taking advantage of the Steam sale under Linux?

BulletDust

Supreme [H]ardness
I just bought myself Black Mesa, played it all the way through under Windows and it was epic, thought I'd buy it under Linux and give it a go again.

Ah, opps. This was meant to go under the Linux section of the forums, will contact the mods.

yup, and the increased selection of steam games is awesome.

What Valve have managed to achieve in such a short period of time is simply amazing. I have to say, I'm loving Black Mesa, no modern single player game draws me in like the Half Life series and this version of Black Mesa looks far better than the version I played under Windows a few years ago.

Having said that, both the Windows and Linux versions are still in beta and I did experience a few crashes on the opening sequence - However, once past that the game runs flawlessly and absolutely flies with all settings maxed out at 1080p running the Nvidia 370.28 drivers.

ymQ0v8T.jpg

I picked this up with my pretty big buy of VR titles for Vive. Just went through the opening sequence to get into the hazard suit. Obviously a classic game but yeah even at 4k all cranked up it's definitely dated. I haven't experienced any crashes thus far, it ran perfectly.

yup, and the increased selection of steam games is awesome.

If you're commited to the idea of Linux gaming I guess it's pretty cool. While remakes of 20 year games that look 15 years is neat nostalgically it is sort of meh. I really don't get why Valve hasn't done HL3 or done a deal to get another developer to do it. I do like Valve and I've spent more money on Steam in the last six months than in any six month period since I've been on Steam which was pretty much near the very beginning. But they've shitted away one of the great PC gaming franchises and I have no idea why. Totally inexcusable.

If you're commited to the idea of Linux gaming I guess it's pretty cool. While remakes of 20 year games that look 15 years is neat nostalgically it is sort of meh. I really don't get why Valve hasn't done HL3 or done a deal to get another developer to do it. I do like Valve and I've spent more money on Steam in the last six months than in any six month period since I've been on Steam which was pretty much near the very beginning. But they've shitted away one of the great PC gaming franchises and I have no idea why. Totally inexcusable.

Not all games are remakes of 20 year titles heatlesssun, there are a quite a few recent titles on Steam under Linux as well as the odd AA title - We need to keep a little perspective.

If you're not heavily into gaming, but enjoy occasionally getting lost in a specific title while mostly using your PC for productive purposes and avoiding malware and viruses, Linux may very well be a great option.

Yes, I agree that at 4k you're not going to see any real benefit when running a Source 2 based title, this is something I noticed myself - The engine itself is getting old and it's obvious there's no real advantage at UHD. But run it at 1080p and max out every setting and the environment is actually quite spectacular all things considered.

Not all games are remakes of 20 year titles heatlesssun, there are a quite a few recent titles on Steam under Linux as well as the odd AA title - We need to keep a little perspective.

If you're not heavily into gaming, but enjoy occasionally getting lost in a specific title while mostly using your PC for productive purposes and avoiding malware and viruses, Linux may very well be a great option.

I agree with this overall. But there's just so much cool stuff in Windows gaming. This was a visual Christmas for me personally, I finally got proper DisplayPort 3D monitors when I upgraded to the sig rig this summer. My old 3D monitors need active DVI to DP adapters when I went to 2 1080s that only had 2 DVI ports and that was a bad idea. And I got this cheapo Samsung 4k TV/monitor and an HTC Vive. I've played with Samsung Gear VR before, pretty cool. I had NO IDEA how amazing the Vive is. So while I get your point and agree, there's just a whole other universe when it comes to high end Windows gaming. But sure, this kind of stuff is a lot more expensive and complicated that running Linux on a run of the mill PC. And even those today could crush something like Black Mesa.

Yes, I agree that at 4k you're not going to see any real benefit when running a Source 2 based title, this is something I noticed myself - The engine itself is getting old and it's obvious there's no real advantage at UHD. But run it at 1080p and max out every setting and the environment is actually quite spectacular all things considered.

Not really sure how it would be more spectacular at 1080P than 4k. I tried both, meh. I played about an hour of Forza Horizon 3 yesterday at 4k. Now that's spectacular looking at 4k.

Not really sure how it would be more spectacular at 1080P than 4k. I tried both, meh. I played about an hour of Forza Horizon 3 yesterday at 4k. Now that's spectacular looking at 4k.

When we're talking comparatively low resolution textures compared to more modern engines, things are going to look great at 1080p and no better at 4k - All things considered (ie: considering the age of the engine).

Vive? Meh...3D TV doesn't interest me from a hometheater perspective and IMO 3D gaming is just as interesting.

My Windows PC is far from a run of the mill PC, still doesn't make me want to play Forza on it though. I did briefly think about it, but honestly, it just seems like a waste of hardware not to mention time now.

I am not really a "hardcore" gamer or anything but this is mostly bunk. Civ 5, Age of Wonders III, Pillars of Eternity / Tyranny, Stellaris, The entire Shadowrun series, the new Master of Orion. Tons of games, but those are all recent major titles that have dedicated linux clients.

I am not really a "hardcore" gamer or anything but this is mostly bunk. Civ 5, Age of Wonders III, Pillars of Eternity / Tyranny, Stellaris, The entire Shadowrun series, the new Master of Orion. Tons of games, but those are all recent major titles that have dedicated linux clients.

This list is not all that recent, only Stellaris is less than a year old. And the list of games that don't run under Linux is still three times longer.

This list is not all that recent, only Stellaris is less than a year old. And the list of games that don't run under Linux is still three times longer.

It would be interesting to see just how many titles existed under Windows after Steam had been up and running for around three years? Bearing in mind that many AAA developers prefer their own E-Shop/launcher systems these days, even under Windows the number of AAA releases under Steam are dwindling in preference for indy titles.

From memory I'd estimate it wasn't that much more at best.

When we're talking comparatively low resolution textures compared to more modern engines, things are going to look great at 1080p and no better at 4k - All things considered (ie: considering the age of the engine).

Even at 40" the 4k monitor I've using has a higher DPI than the 24" 1080P monitors I'm using. They are they

Vive? Meh...3D TV doesn't interest me from a hometheater perspective and IMO 3D gaming is just as interesting.

Admittedly 3D gaming never caught on but there are titles still modern titles that do support it and are pretty cool, like the newest Tomb Raider and Deux Ex. But beyond gaming there are a ton of 3D movies that come out on BD and experience on the PC is actually pretty cool IMHO.

The Vive and VR, that's on a whole new level. The cost is high right now but it can even now at this stage provide incredible experiences. The coolest thing to me personally in my day so far, air hockey. VR isn't going away, it's not a fad and it's only going to get better. The Vive is the biggest WOW I've had in computing in a long, long time. It's remarkable technology.

My Windows PC is far from a run of the mill PC, still doesn't make me want to play Forza on it though. I did briefly think about it, but honestly, it just seems like a waste of hardware not to mention time now.

Waste of hardware? FH3 is stunning in 4k, even at 30 FPS which seems to work out best in the various settings tweaks I've tried. This is the kind of thing, like the Vive, that's hooked me on computing gaming for over 30 years now.

Even at 40" the 4k monitor I've using has a higher DPI than the 24" 1080P monitors I'm using. They are they

My 4k monitor is 28", with such a dense dot pitch the IQ is simply outstanding.

I see gaming as a secondary function of a PC these days, I just don't have the time to invest in gaming anymore.

It would be interesting to see just how many titles existed under Windows after Steam had been up and running for around three years? Bearing in mind that many AAA developers prefer their own E-Shop/launcher systems these days, even under Windows the number of AAA releases under Steam are dwindling in preference for indy titles.

From memory I'd estimate it wasn't that much more at best.

Windows/DOS gaming was big long before Steam and there are quite a few titles on Steam that predate it. And sure there's Origin, Uplay and the Windows Store, of course those are all Windows 10 compatible.

Windows/DOS gaming was big long before Steam and there are quite a few titles on Steam that predate it. And sure there's Origin, Uplay and the Windows Store, of course those are all Windows 10 compatible.

I remember the DOS days, back then the PC really wasn't a terribly viable gaming platform. The cost of a PC capable of playing 3D accelerated games was astronomical in comparison to the average income at the time and the 68k platform was still clinging onto dear life. That coupled with the fact that there really wasn't a great many titles available in comparison to the major players in the gaming industry made the PC about as popular a gaming platform as Linux ~3 years ago.

It wasn't until at least Windows 95 and especially Windows 98 that the PC began to become a major player in the gaming market.

What are you talking about? This is just a short list and even then, Tyranny is only a few months old. Pillars is barely over a year, they just released a new Shadowrun game...

The new Master of Orion is only what, a week old?

What are you talking about? This is just a short list and even then, Tyranny is only a few months old. Pillars is barely over a year, they just released a new Shadowrun game...

The new Master of Orion is only what, a week old?

Fair enough. These aren't exactly the best known titles. In any case Steam currently lists 25970 for Windows and 6540 so only about 1 in 4 Steam titles are currently Linux compatible.

I remember the DOS days, back then the PC really wasn't a terribly viable gaming platform. The cost of a PC capable of playing 3D accelerated games was astronomical in comparison to the average income at the time and the 68k platform was still clinging onto dear life. That coupled with the fact that there really wasn't a great many titles available in comparison to the major players in the gaming industry made the PC about as popular a gaming platform as Linux ~3 years ago.

It wasn't until at least Windows 95 and especially Windows 98 that the PC began to become a major player in the gaming market.

I've been gaming on Windows/DOS PCs for nearly 30 years, it's been pretty big for that long. Of course there's a lot more PCs in the world today than then and obviously the pricing is much lower for the basics. But you can still spend a lot on PC gaming. This setup I got this year in my sig rig was about $8k. But the capabilities of this kind of hardware in 2016 are clearly off charts compared to the DOS days.

Fair enough. These aren't exactly the best known titles. In any case Steam currently lists 25970 for Windows and 6540 so only about 1 in 4 Steam titles are currently Linux compatible.

I don't understand the relevance of this at all?

Windows has been a part of the steam platform for ~10 years, if not more, vs ~3 years for Linux - The number of titles available is hardly any measurement of the platform's potential to render/play games. Does everything have to degrade into a discussion of Windows vs Linux?

If we want to base a platforms potential for gaming by number of titles alone, than considering that Android currently has around 2.6 million applications available for it on the Play Store, if we assume that games make up ~25% of all applications on the Play Store than Android is the better gaming platform due to the availability of ~650,000 games alone.

I've been gaming on Windows/DOS PCs for nearly 30 years, it's been pretty big for that long. Of course there's a lot more PCs in the world today than then and obviously the pricing is much lower for the basics. But you can still spend a lot on PC gaming. This setup I got this year in my sig rig was about $8k. But the capabilities of this kind of hardware in 2016 are clearly off charts compared to the DOS days.

I disagree, I was gaming on 486's as well as my first non MMX P100, swapped to a P166 overclocked to 200Mhz eventually running Voodoo 2's and the market was minimal - Realistically speaking it wasn't until the release of Doom in ~93-94 that PC gaming even began to take off, and even then it was a pain in the arse getting everything working correctly under DOS.

It's not far fetched to claim that back then PC gaming was about as popular as Linux gaming ~3-5 years ago.

I don't understand the relevance of this at all?

Windows has been a part of the steam platform for ~10 years, if not more, vs ~3 years for Linux - The number of titles available is hardly any measurement of the platform's potential to render/play games. Does everything have to degrade into a discussion of Windows vs Linux?

If we want to base a platforms potential for gaming by number of titles alone, than considering that Android currently has around 2.6 million applications available for it on the Play Store, if we assume that games make up ~25% of all applications on the Play Store than Android is the better gaming platform due to the availability of ~650,000 games alone.

This is a specious argument because not only does Windows have a lot more game than desktop Linux it also has all of the latest and great than come out for the PC.

I disagree, I was gaming on 486's as well as my first non MMX P100, swapped to a P166 overclocked to 200Mhz eventually running Voodoo 2's and the market was minimal - Realistically speaking it wasn't until the release of Doom in ~93-94 that PC gaming even began to take off, and even then it was a pain in the arse getting everything working correctly under DOS.

It's not far fetched to claim that back then PC gaming was about as popular as Linux gaming ~3-5 years ago.

This just doesn't make any sense to me. I mean this very forum that's always been about PC gaming at it's core predates Steam. 3Dfx even ran TV commercials back in its prime:

This just doesn't make any sense to me. I mean this very forum that's always been about PC gaming at it's core predates Steam. 3Dfx even ran TV commercials back in its prime:

You have to consider that at the time the PC as a platform was in no real way suited to gaming in direct comparison to the plethora of devices running Motorola 68k processors and custom graphical/sound chipsets. Only with the advent of Doom and 3dfx in '94 did the PC even begin to become a viable gaming platform - And even then, as stated the outlay considering the average wage at the time, which was in no way comparable to the average wage today, was simply enormous and then you had the hassle of getting the sound card and accelerator to play nicely together under DOS as Windows 3.1 was simply useless.

If you consider the number of titles available for the Commodore Amiga alone, which was the dominant multimedia platform at the time, in comparison the PC had literally a handful of titles and half of them probably used CGA graphics.

In the US I imagine the 68k powered SEGA and Nintendo consoles were most likely the dominant platform of the day as the Amiga wasn't quite as popular in the US.

This is a specious argument because not only does Windows have a lot more game than desktop Linux it also has all of the latest and great than come out for the PC.

I'm not disputing this. However this by no means indicates that Linux is not a viable gaming platform.

You can stick your fingers in your ears and yell all you want, the fact is that Linux popularity has almost doubled in the span of about two years and the number of gaming titles on Steam alone has grown considerably in the same amount of time.

Having said that, the Windows vs Linux debacle everytime I mention Linux in the OS forums is becoming ridiculous.

You have to consider that at the time the PC as a platform was in no real way suited to gaming in direct comparison to the plethora of devices running Motorola 68k processors and custom graphical/sound chipsets. Only with the advent of Doom and 3dfx in '94 did the PC even begin to become a viable gaming platform - And even then, as stated the outlay considering the average wage at the time, which was in no way comparable to the average wage today, was simply enormous and then you had the hassle of getting the sound card and accelerator to play nicely together under DOS as Windows 3.1 was simply useless.

If you consider the number of titles available for the Commodore Amiga alone, which was the dominant multimedia platform at the time, in comparison the PC had literally a handful of titles and half of them probably used CGA graphics.

In the US I imagine the 68k powered SEGA and Nintendo consoles were most likely the dominant platform of the day as the Amiga wasn't quite as popular in the US.

Ok, 1994 is like a decade before Steam. The first PlayStation wasn't released until December 1994. There were no mobile gaming platforms in existence then as we know them today. The PC has long been a top gaming platform for the latest and greatest.

Ok, 1994 is like a decade before Steam. The first PlayStation wasn't released until December 1994. There were no mobile gaming platforms in existence then as we know them today. The PC has long been a top gaming platform for the latest and greatest.

No, not really.

At the time, before Direct X, it was actually disputed whether Windows would make a viable gaming platform at all. If it wasn't for the push by Gabe Newell, who was working at Microsoft at the time, and the subsequent development of the Steam platform there is every chance that Consoles would have pushed the expensive PC platform into obscurity.

The PC isn't popular today because it was a good platform, it's popular because IBM fucked up and as a result the platform was easily reverse engineered.

I'm not disputing this. However this by no means indicates that Linux is not a viable gaming platform.

You can stick your fingers in your ears and yell all you want, the fact is that Linux popularity has almost doubled in the span of about two years and the number of gaming titles on Steam alone has grown considerably in the same amount of time.

Having said that, the Windows vs Linux debacle everytime I mention Linux in the OS forums is becoming ridiculous.

Desktop Linux has it's strengths but gaming is not one of them. If Linux were a viable PC gaming OS this site would use it test gaming related hardware and software. Game support on Steam for Linux, IMO sucks. Black Mesa, sure that's a great tribute to the past of PC gaming but it's a 20 year old game now.

It's not a matter of making something a debacle but don't over sell it. Ok, Windows 10 is spyware and you can't control the updates on consumer versions and malware and these are completely fair criticism of Windows. It's not remotely realistic to say that desktop Linux is a viable gaming platform. It would be like me saying Windows phones are viable smartphones. And this is coming from a guy that uses Windows phones. But I'd not at this point in time say Windows phones are viable. They aren't because the support SUCKS because of low market share.

It doesn't have to be a debacle if people just use common sense. Nothing wrong with Linux. It's capable of gaming. It doesn't have enough users or developer support to be viable. My Windows phone isn't viable. But it has Facebook, Twitter, Netflix and plenty of other apps. But no Snapchat or this or that. Like desktop Linux doesn't have any of the top games.

Again, when Linux can support most of what I and others do we'll use it Day One. At least I will. I have no problem with it. I just want to do things I like do, nothing more. It's that simple. For a guy that just said he doesn't invest much in PC gaming, shouldn't really be a big deal. I invest a lot more and just want to keep that investment. That's all there is too it.

Desktop Linux has it's strengths but gaming is not one of them. If Linux were a viable PC gaming OS this site would use it test gaming related hardware and software. Game support on Steam for Linux, IMO sucks. Black Mesa, sure that's a great tribute to the past of PC gaming but it's a 20 year old game now.

Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Personally I'm going to have to, once again, hammer the point home that I disagree entirely.

I'm getting tired of hammering my point home to you Heatlesssun, I respect your opinion but honestly your blatant bias for Windows thinly veiled as a lack of choice is getting a little tiring. Is it OK if I start a thread in the other operating systems forum without being told how wonderful Windows 10 is for once?

Good job for outlaying $8000.00 on a PC, but honestly?!

Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Personally I'm going to have to, once again, hammer the point home that I disagree entirely.

If gaming were a strength of desktop Linux I'm guessing like every PC gaming site that covers gaming hardware and software wouldn't all be using Windows. There's Phoronix but that's much more about Linux that gaming per se.

I'm getting tired of hammering my point home to you Heatlesssun, I respect your opinion but honestly your blatant bias for Windows thinly veiled as a lack of choice is getting a little tiring. Is it OK if I start a thread in the other operating systems forum without being told how wonderful Windows 10 is for once?

Good job for outlaying $8000.00 on a PC, but honestly?!

And my point has always been simple. At this point in life, I couldn't care less about an operating system. WFT does an OS matter? To control updates? Is that the reason people use computers? To control updates? Sure, controlling updates is great. But doing the things one actually wants to do is better. I just wanted to build a PC this year after 4 years of the loop to do all that wanted with gaming. If the OS needed to do that was some Linux distro, so what? Why spend $8k on something and then balk at a free OS if it could do the job?

The way I see it, Linux fans are just as tone deaf as Microsoft. Again, when people tell the Linux community that they don't care a rats ass about the OS and just want certain abilities, it seems to ALL come back to the OS and why choice is great, as long as it's a choice that Linux folks care about.

Why do you continue to repeat the same argument knowing that while you're entitled to your opinion you aren't the only individual in the history of mankind to use a computing device?

People have different wants and needs in relation to what they want out of their operating system....Mindblown!

What you consider to be important may not be in any way important to another user. Furthermore, just because you find importance in a certain OS doesn't in any way indicate superiority. There are a great many people running a plethora of operating systems, from Windows to Linux to OSX to AmigaOS 4.1 right through to MorphOS, and many of these individuals actually use these operating systems daily as their main OS of choice (mindblown again!). Every one of these people believe their OS is the OS of choice, as logically, if they didn't they wouldn't be using it.

The OS is the abstraction layer, the interface between the user and the machine, for this reason your argument that the OS isn't important and can be ignored in no way holds true at all! If an OS is too controlling, or too limiting, too slow, too unreliable, or just plain ugly with a poorly laid out UI this is an issue of the OS and cannot be ignored!

- Can I play the gaming titles I want to play under Linux? Yes I can!
- Can I be completely productive under Linux in relation to my daily needs? Yes I can!
- Do I find Linux limiting? No I don't!
- Do I like the UI? I love it, it's perfect!
- Do I see value in my choice? Yes I do!
- Is my privacy respected? Yes it is!
- Would I see value in switching to Windows, would the cost of the OS itself be justified? No, I wouldn't see value in switching to Windows. I cannot justify the retail price and purchasing off a dubious third party for $40.00 would highlight the fact that I do not see value in the full retail price of Windows.
- Do I use all the operating systems I talk about daily as full blown desktop operating systems or am I just ranting on based on overly biased generalisation? Yes I do, I don't believe in overly biased generalisation.

I'm not sure if you constantly highlight the cost of your PC in relation to your absolute need for Windows in an attempt to somehow justify the cost of your purchase, or whether it's some thinly veiled slinging match?! Whatever the case may be, the signs of obvious bias, no matter what you claim to use at work, is blatantly obvious! In the title of this thread, in the first post of this thread, did I once ask for your opinion on what OS is more suitable for you? No, I didn't. I didn't because I don't care! So why do you keep trying to force your opinion when it's obvious I'm not convinced?

Once again, if it's OK with you can I start a thread based around my preferred operating system without being constantly reminded about the supposed superiority of Windows because you spent $8000.00 on a PC?

And before you get on your high horse in relation to my discussions relating to Linux, if people are misinformed and sprouting generalisations about anything in any discussion forum topic, I see nothing wrong with correcting them provided it's done maturely. If I see anyone ask for advice regarding any topic I have experience in I will offer advice - Doing so is in no way overly biased.

Windows 10 is good, Windows 10 gets the job done, Windows 10 is by no means perfect and in that regard Linux is no exception - But Linux suits me perfectly.

I've said what i want to say, I respect you and I hold no grudges and have no desire to drag this discussion out - Let it go.

I picked up Ark: Survival Evolved, Black Mesa, Civ Beyond Earth: Rising Tide, and Hearts of Iron IV. All Linux native.

1/3 of my Steam Library was already Linux native. All of my favorite games are Linux native. It's no wonder the Microsoft chat bots are freaking out.

Desktop Linux has it's strengths but gaming is not one of them...

Nothing wrong with Linux. It's capable of gaming. It doesn't have enough users or developer support to be viable.

Right... because the Windows app store is where its at. :rolleyes:

In this holiday sale alone Valve will probably sell more Linux games than all the apps ever sold through the Microsoft store. Enjoy your Phablet OS, Heatless.

We just had a small lan party and one of the windows10 boxes just refused to connect to the internet. I tried everything, system restore included to no avail. Finally I booted the box to Linux in order to get the gaming going. I just downloaded the games through Steam to the linux file system and everything worked fine.

Why do you continue to repeat the same argument knowing that while you're entitled to your opinion you aren't the only individual in the history of mankind to use a computing device?

People have different wants and needs in relation to what they want out of their operating system....Mindblown!

What you consider to be important may not be in any way important to another user. Furthermore, just because you find importance in a certain OS doesn't in any way indicate superiority. There are a great many people running a plethora of operating systems, from Windows to Linux to OSX to AmigaOS 4.1 right through to MorphOS, and many of these individuals actually use these operating systems daily as their main OS of choice (mindblown again!). Every one of these people believe their OS is the OS of choice, as logically, if they didn't they wouldn't be using it.

The OS is the abstraction layer, the interface between the user and the machine, for this reason your argument that the OS isn't important and can be ignored in no way holds true at all! If an OS is too controlling, or too limiting, too slow, too unreliable, or just plain ugly with a poorly laid out UI this is an issue of the OS and cannot be ignored!

- Can I be completely productive under Linux in relation to my daily needs? Yes I can!
- Would I see value in switching to Windows, would the cost of the OS itself be justified? No, I wouldn't see value in switching to Windows. I cannot justify the retail price and purchasing off a dubious third party for $40.00 would highlight the fact that I do not see value in the full retail price of Windows.
- Do I use all the operating systems I talk about daily as full blown desktop operating systems or am I just ranting on based on overly biased generalisation? Yes I do, I don't believe in overly biased generalisation.

I'm not sure if you constantly highlight the cost of your PC in relation to your absolute need for Windows in an attempt to somehow justify the cost of your purchase, or whether it's some thinly veiled slinging match?! Whatever the case may be, the signs of obvious bias, no matter what you claim to use at work, is blatantly obvious! In the title of this thread, in the first post of this thread, did I once ask for your opinion on what OS is more suitable for you? No, I didn't. I didn't because I don't care! So why do you keep trying to force your opinion when it's obvious I'm not convinced?

Once again, if it's OK with you can I start a thread based around my preferred operating system without being constantly reminded about the supposed superiority of Windows because you spent $8000.00 on a PC?

And before you get on your high horse in relation to my discussions relating to Linux, if people are misinformed and sprouting generalisations about anything in any discussion forum topic, I see nothing wrong with correcting them provided it's done maturely. If I see anyone ask for advice regarding any topic I have experience in I will offer advice - Doing so is in no way overly biased.

Windows 10 is good, Windows 10 gets the job done, Windows 10 is by no means perfect and in that regard Linux is no exception - But Linux suits me perfectly.

I've said what i want to say, I respect you and I hold no grudges and have no desire to drag this discussion out - Let it go.

A lot of people around here spend a lot of money on PC because that's just what we're into and the point of the site in the first place. Let what go? I've said forever I couldn't give a rats ass about the OS. It's about the gaming and entertainment experience for me like plenty others. If Linux could do the job we'd all be using it. It's that simple. If Linux works for you then great, I'm not arguing that. I simply don't think it would work as well as you think for most who want to play games and get enjoyment from their PCs.

The thing about costs. All I was trying to say is when one puts this kind of money into a PC today there are remarkable experiences to be had. And that's what makes PC gaming so much fun.

I picked up Ark: Survival Evolved, Black Mesa, Civ Beyond Earth: Rising Tide, and Hearts of Iron IV. All Linux native.

1/3 of my Steam Library was already Linux native. All of my favorite games are Linux native. It's no wonder the Microsoft chat bots are freaking out.

Right... because the Windows app store is where its at. :rolleyes:

In this holiday sale alone Valve will probably sell more Linux games than all the apps ever sold through the Microsoft store. Enjoy your Phablet OS, Heatless.

I thought that Steam purchases were multi-platform? You can play the game all on the platforms it supports correct? You may be correct, I wasn't trying to compare the Windows Store volume to Steam Linux volume. I have no idea. Just two really awesome games that came out only on the Windows Store and one can argue the whys of that. But yeah, I was going to get Forza Horizon 3. Just a remarkable racer and at 4k max, just graphically impressive. And Gears of War 4 got a nice shout out around here.

Again, it's just all about the experiences to be had in gaming. The OS is irrelevant as long as it supports the experience.

Will probably pick up Mad Max, Undertale, Victor Vran, Plague Inc: Evolved, and some Baldurs Gate bundle that I won't ever come close to completing.

I may break the "no tux, no bux" rule for Doom, as it looks to be plenty playable through Wine with no hint of it coming native.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is up there, but I think the backlog is too deep or will be if I buy the above.

Will probably pick up Mad Max, Undertale, Victor Vran, Plague Inc: Evolved, and some Baldurs Gate bundle that I won't ever come close to completing.

I may break the "no tux, no bux" rule for Doom, as it looks to be plenty playable through Wine with no hint of it coming native.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is up there, but I think the backlog is too deep or will be if I buy the above.

I'm considering giving Doom a shot even though it goes against my belief of native Linux ports. It's amazing what can happen when you aren't bound by API's and DRM.

In my experience titles purchased on Steam that are available multi platform can be installed on any platform of your choosing - Although, like DRM on Steam, I guess there's the possibility that may be up to the game vendor.

I want to be you. I want to say the things that you did in your list. I've tried and I can't check off all the marks that I need to. Maybe someday. Until then I still keep up with Linux and give it a shot every now and then. Good post.

I want to be you. I want to say the things that you did in your list. I've tried and I can't check off all the marks that I need to. Maybe someday. Until then I still keep up with Linux and give it a shot every now and then. Good post.

I always said that when Steam and Source 2 was ported to Linux I'd dump Windows as my main OS of choice, I have to say the transition worked out better than I ever thought it would. Give it time, change is in the air, what's unsuitable now may be suitable in the future.

As a tech, I end up with a number of old PC's here, most are junk but some can be reclaimed.

It seems crazy that I can setup a Halflife 2 Deathmatch LAN for all my mates for ~$1.00 per machine and we can all sling toilet bowels at each other!

Back