Anyone still big on flight sims?

I know its not a flight sim per se but you might also want to check out Orbiter2006, its a space sim. I've found it a great distraction from traditional plane sims.. its got a great feature set and a pile of mods and addons to get into

Well i used to be in on the flight sims but more recently i been on the Hawx series....

Yeah, the thing that bothered me with Aces High though was it seemed like everyone else was a pro and maybe I had a trial account (this was a looong time ago) but you had to get points to buy and fly a plane and it was a one shot only thing. If I recall, the best way to get points was to be a parachute plane and attempt to drop/invade enemy airfield/base?

But yeah, you had old Vietnam/Korean vets tearing you to pieces. Digitally. At least that is what I'd like to think... :(

I've been flying Aces High since beta (with a few interruptions) and I regularly get spanked. There are lots of us perpetual noobs there. There are also lots of really good sticks. The trick is to avoid dogfights with "inferior" planes. They usually have very superior pilots.

The points thing for buying planes only applies to the very late war airplanes. There are lots of rides you can have that don't cost anything (Perks points). Really, you can fly most of the better known A/C without ever worrying about perks. Perks are to keep the numbers of "uber" planes to a minimum. These are planes like the B-29, Me-262, Ta-152, Tempest, and Tiger tank. I completely ignore perks and always find a plane to fly.

The way to get perks points is to shoot down other planes in a fighter sortie or bomb stuff in a attack or bomber sorties. If fighters if you are in a "good" fighter and you shoot down a "weak" plane, you get fewer perks than the other way around. So if you're flying a Me262 and you shoot down a Zero, you're not going to get many perks. If you're in a Zero and shoot down a Me262, you will get more perks.

If you haven't played AH in a while, they've changed the ground war quite a bit. They did this mainly by making the towns more difficult to navigate in ground vehicles. There are now hedges that restrict your line of sight and your travel options. It gives it more of a WWIIOL feel when defending a town (until the bombers come through and lay waste to everything).

I believe there is a two-week free trial still.

I used to love playing them. Had an old Sideswinder (the one with force feedback, that you'd see on display in Ebgames/Babbages back in those days, pre gamestop) that I loved.

I played WWIIonline as well, the planes were a blast to play in that, infantry combat was TERRIBLE though,a nd it was the downfall of the game imo, it just felt strange and weird to play. I'd love to see a new WWIIonline game but with as good infantry combat as any modern shooter (BF:BC2, etc).

However these days I don't play them much anymore, don't even have a joystick at the moment.

I wanted to get back into them with IL-2 Cliffs of Dover but the release looks rocky, lots of people with it are saying it's very very poorly optimized and has major issues, they even took the release date for it off of steam.

I can't wait for this to come out!

Jet Thunder
http://www.thunder-works.com/

I'm so sick and tired of way to often re-hashed WW2 sims. IL-2: 1946 is the only one I will play.

Hopefully, the next DCS aircraft will be not the F-15 or F-16.

Maybe I just suck, I don't have my joystick yet but I noticed in IL-2 combat turns are more difficult. I turn the plane on it's side with ailerons and I yank the elevator and the plane kind of jerks and poops out. Maybe because the arrow keys have no range and visibly pull the stick all the way back?

I just messed around for a little bit and I managed to score BF-109E kill in a Spitfire Mk.V... quite a challenge with a keyboard, really! :p

Seems like tapping on the elevator does the trick, but in other games such as WWII Online I remember yanking on the elevator hard while on my side and doing a combat turn and just having red out/black out/massive speed loss.

Maybe I just suck, I don't have my joystick yet but I noticed in IL-2 combat turns are more difficult. I turn the plane on it's side with ailerons and I yank the elevator and the plane kind of jerks and poops out. Maybe because the arrow keys have no range and visibly pull the stick all the way back?

I just messed around for a little bit and I managed to score BF-109E kill in a Spitfire Mk.V... quite a challenge with a keyboard, really! :p

Seems like tapping on the elevator does the trick, but in other games such as WWII Online I remember yanking on the elevator hard while on my side and doing a combat turn and just having red out/black out/massive speed loss.

Unlike most flight sims, IL-2 actually incorporates some aerodynamic principles. A turn is not simply a turn. You have to use the rudder and the proper amount of elevator as well as power to manage the turn. You could watch a primer on aerodynamics on youtube and things will make a lot more sense.

Yeah, you can't just haul on the stick like in Ace Combat, or you'll stall out. Once it starts getting shaky and wobbly, it's time to ease back and gain some speed. Using the keyboard might also be the issue.

A good trick if you're defensive, is just keep the nose below the horizon as you're turning.

Not to dissuade, but FSX as a simulation is probably the worst you can find. Graphically it is nice, but it really shouldn't be considered a simulation from an aeronautical standpoint. I'm hoping the next MS Flight Simulator can get away from lookup tables.

Also, the next DCS installment should be the F-18 as it looks.

Also, the next DCS installment should be the F-18 as it looks.

Hmmm - is that a change of plans?

Last I'd heard, they were doing the AH-64A (IE., the older Apache, not the 'Longbow' variant, as not enough accurate information is publicly available on the latter).

Unlike most flight sims, IL-2 actually incorporates some aerodynamic principles. A turn is not simply a turn. You have to use the rudder and the proper amount of elevator as well as power to manage the turn. You could watch a primer on aerodynamics on youtube and things will make a lot more sense.

Yeah, you can't just haul on the stick like in Ace Combat, or you'll stall out. Once it starts getting shaky and wobbly, it's time to ease back and gain some speed. Using the keyboard might also be the issue.

A good trick if you're defensive, is just keep the nose below the horizon as you're turning.

Use rudder to keep the nose below horizon? Trying to pick up speed to counter the speed lost in making the combat turn so the plane doesn't wobble and try to fall out of the sky like a brick? :confused:

If you have a spinning wheel with radius r, the closer you get to the center of the circle, the shorter the spin --- the slower your aircraft, the tighter turn you'll get. Assuming that slow speed and the loss of speed of the turn isn't your aircraft's rated stall speed. :eek:

FSX is great, too bad you need the best processor, the best GPU, and the best RAM :(

FS2004 Century of Flight doesn't have that problem and is almost as good IMO. FSX still doesn't perform all that great on modern hardware but FS2004 does.

Freefalcon hates running on my machine, it constantly crashes and I haven't looked further into fixing it :(

Same here. it was ok until the last update then it was crash city so I deleted it. I see they have another patch out now so it may run good again.

Hmmm - is that a change of plans?

Last I'd heard, they were doing the AH-64A (IE., the older Apache, not the 'Longbow' variant, as not enough accurate information is publicly available on the latter).

Plenty information is available, believe me. ;) The problem ED has is that they need 'approved' access through the government before they decide to model an aircraft. The Apache would be cool too though, but I hope they do another fixed wing addition.

Use rudder to keep the nose below horizon? Trying to pick up speed to counter the speed lost in making the combat turn so the plane doesn't wobble and try to fall out of the sky like a brick? :confused:

If you have a spinning wheel with radius r, the closer you get to the center of the circle, the shorter the spin --- the slower your aircraft, the tighter turn you'll get. Assuming that slow speed and the loss of speed of the turn isn't your aircraft's rated stall speed. :eek:

Well, of course it needs to be above minimum airspeeds. What I'm saying is that slight pressure of aft stick is what you should be aiming for, rather than abrupt pulling and unloading. If your aircraft is phasing out during a turn, its due to either too much rapid AOA generation causing the wing to stall, being below minimum airspeeds - or both. Also fuel ballast can cause undesired flight control, especially during turns and climbs though I highly doubt that is modeled in any simulation.

Anyone recommend Rise of Flight Iron Cross Edition? I tried the demo this weekend and like the game but is there enough single player content with the full game? The multiplayer servers are not very populated (unless its something to do with the demo)

...Also fuel ballast can cause undesired flight control, especially during turns and climbs though I highly doubt that is modeled in any simulation.

IL-2 does take into account the effects of droptanks. The increased wing loading decreases, performance in all phases of flight and is especially apparent while maneuvering during combat.

One of the reasons I like IL-2 so much is because of the details.

An airplane will stall at any airspeed. It's not about speed, it's all about AoA. Increase the angle of attack quickly at 400kts and it will stall just as easily as at 100kts. "Stall speed" generally means the speed at which, in unaccelerated flight (in any directions - aka straight and level) you can fly, but any decrease in speed will result in a stall. That number is always a "reference" number though as it does not take into account weight, CG, weather conditions, etc. You can stall at a higher speed, and can usually fly at lower speeds. You can stall at any airspeed though.

Anyone recommend Rise of Flight Iron Cross Edition? I tried the demo this weekend and like the game but is there enough single player content with the full game? The multiplayer servers are not very populated (unless its something to do with the demo)

RoF is a very fun game, servers are up and down at times...but usually have 18+ people playing on them at a time. I can't seem to remember what the name of the one I play on is but it's usually pretty full around prime time.

Single player is alright, they have a campaign mode that shows you all you can do in the game and that sort. They are currently finishing up a dynamic campaign which will make me look more into single player, but as of right now I just play the game on Multiplayer, and singleplayer quick battle to test my dogfighting skills.

ICE comes with some of the planes bundled in the game, but you do have to pay for each additional plane that is not included. Each seems radically different to justify it I think but that's just my opinion.

Also does anyone know if IL2: CoD has physics/whatever you call it when your wing gets sawed of but you still are inside the plane until A.) you die or B.) the plane explodes/crashes? The thing that pissed me off about Wings of Prey is that if you're shot down you have a cinematic and you just despawn...I find that stupid.

An airplane will stall at any airspeed. It's not about speed, it's all about AoA. Increase the angle of attack quickly at 400kts and it will stall just as easily as at 100kts. "Stall speed" generally means the speed at which, in unaccelerated flight (in any directions - aka straight and level) you can fly, but any decrease in speed will result in a stall. That number is always a "reference" number though as it does not take into account weight, CG, weather conditions, etc. You can stall at a higher speed, and can usually fly at lower speeds. You can stall at any airspeed though.

My god thank you. So many people don't understand this.

Also does anyone know if IL2: CoD has physics/whatever you call it when your wing gets sawed of but you still are inside the plane until A.) you die or B.) the plane explodes/crashes? The thing that pissed me off about Wings of Prey is that if you're shot down you have a cinematic and you just despawn...I find that stupid.

The original IL-2 has it (my Spitfire's wing just came off, I was at too low of an altitude to bail and my parachute didn't open in time... I died.) so I wouldn't see why CoD would not have this feature.

The original IL-2 has it (my Spitfire's wing just came off, I was at too low of an altitude to bail and my parachute didn't open in time... I died.) so I wouldn't see why CoD would not have this feature.

I know the original IL2 has it, I love the feature since you have SOME control...but not much. I generally try lowering my landing gear and my flaps before bailing so I have more time....the server I play on counts planes AND pilots when looking at each side's inventory.

They better not take it away!

I've been loving Wings of Prey. It runs great and supports all of my peripherals out of the box. I'm running eyefinity, TrackIR 5, Saitek X52 Pro hotas, and Saitek rudder pedals. I know it's no where near a sim, but lately I've been spending a ton of time flying the helicopters in arma 2 multiplayer. It's really satisfying to swing a blackhawk in at low altitude and drop off a platoon of marines. I have high hopes for the upcoming BI helicopter game. I've been really curious about Apache: Air Assault, but I don't want to buy a game on YuPlay. That is terrible news about Cliffs of Dover. I never could get Sturmovik running right on my setup though :(

I've been loving Wings of Prey. It runs great and supports all of my peripherals out of the box. I'm running eyefinity, TrackIR 5, Saitek X52 Pro hotas, and Saitek rudder pedals. I know it's no where near a sim, but lately I've been spending a ton of time flying the helicopters in arma 2 multiplayer. It's really satisfying to swing a blackhawk in at low altitude and drop off a platoon of marines. I have high hopes for the upcoming BI helicopter game. I've been really curious about Apache: Air Assault, but I don't want to buy a game on YuPlay. That is terrible news about Cliffs of Dover. I never could get Sturmovik running right on my setup though :(

I'm trying to get into some realism groups in Arma 2 for this same thing. I love the little bird!

Also fuel ballast can cause undesired flight control, especially during turns and climbs though I highly doubt that is modeled in any simulation.

It was in Fly! You could move your fuel load around or that reason. Passenger load too.

Yes, it is worth buying but just know that new planes cost money on top of the opnes it comes with, I just spent an additional $20.00 yesterday for a couple of planes. If I add up the cost of all the planes I have bought it cost me way more than $50.00 for RoF and I still don;t have quite all the planes available. There is a free dynamic campaign to be released for it soon too.

Plenty information is available, believe me. ;) The problem ED has is that they need 'approved' access through the government before they decide to model an aircraft. The Apache would be cool too though, but I hope they do another fixed wing addition.

I did some reading over on the SimHQ forums - looks like you are right, the next aircraft is to be a 'very popular US fixed-wing aircraft', so collective money appears to be on the F-15, F-16, or F/A-18.

I've been loving Wings of Prey. It runs great and supports all of my peripherals out of the box. I'm running eyefinity, TrackIR 5, Saitek X52 Pro hotas, and Saitek rudder pedals.

'Wings of Prey' is really a pretty good game. It gets a lot of flak because in many missions, you start in the air, and only play until objectives are complete (no landing)...that seems to kill any reputation it might have had in the sim crowd.

But it's the same underlying engine as IL-2 Sturmovik, and with the in-game realism cranked up, the aerodynamic physics ARE the same. Sure, there are a few less options/tweaks with it (those who fiddle with their gunsights a lot will miss that capability), but the physics are there, and the graphics are AMAZINGLY more advanced than IL-2.

just some quick info on IL2: cliffs of dover. buyers beware. the game is a broken, almost unplayable mess right now. second time i regret a day one purchase.

just some quick info on IL2: cliffs of dover. buyers beware. the game is a broken, almost unplayable mess right now. second time i regret a day one purchase.

I've been reading this. I'm going to wait until the NA release and pray that they fix stuff up.

This give me hope:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/5248/

WHAT TO EXPECT FOR US IN THE COMING DAYS AND WEEKS:
* SLI and Crossfire support;
* Improved multicore support;
* Additional optimization;
* New multiplayer maps;
* Additional variants of existing aircraft;
* New missions and campaigns!

But it's the same underlying engine as IL-2 Sturmovik, and with the in-game realism cranked up, the aerodynamic physics ARE the same. Sure, there are a few less options/tweaks with it (those who fiddle with their gunsights a lot will miss that capability), but the physics are there, and the graphics are AMAZINGLY more advanced than IL-2.

What options did they remove? I've actually been having gunsight problems in IL-2 (by default the convergence of cannons and machine guns is 500m) especially in aircraft that have the guns centered in the nose. Plus, I'm a rookie.

I just had an amazing dogfight with me in a P-38J against a BF-109G... dual engines makes getting engine angle of attack to floor rough so the combat turns are iffy... (got to remember to use combat flaps) definitely had a greater or equal climb rate to the 109, same goes with speed. We kept having head on encounters and he would break and I kept nicking him with .50 cal. Eventually I must of locked up or messed up one of his control surfaces or radiator because he slowed down and I was able to ride his tail. Blasted him with cannons and .50. This went on for about 15 minutes. It was much like jousting. I don't know much about the P-38 and I typically fly a Spitfire MkV as I get used to the game, but it was much like jousting... I don't know if high speed and climb are apart of P-38 characteristics or what.

If the 109 nicked me with his .50/12.7mm, it barely affected me and I must have taken it in the wing or fuselage, or not at all.

It was pretty intense. Think I'll stick to single engine fighters until I get better at maneuvering and gunnery. Probably going to set my sights to converge at 250m.

The P-38 is one of the most lethal aircraft in the game. That being said, instead of angles, its an energy fighter. Try that and you will be surprised how lethal the P-38 is.

Back