Anyone seen the new PCP&C Silencers?

Siorus

Limp Gawd
I was on PCP&C's website the other day looking for something and I came across their new silencer lineup, and I, for one, was disappointed with what I saw. It looks to me like they're nothing more than OCZ/Sirfa (or whoever OCZ is using these days) PSUs with a different sticker.

I haven't seen them reviewed anywhere, but I mean, take a look at the 750w Fatal1ty compared to the 750w Silencer... Look the same to me. Does anyone know anything about them?

Just based on what I've seen on their website, I'm not happy. I've seen more than a few cases where case temperatures were actually lower with a power supply with a front intake than with a power supply with a bottom-mounted fan, and it's getting harder and harder to find decent power supplies with this layout. With the lower end PCP&C units going to 135mm fans it looks like I'm down to Seasonic, Seasonic, and, uh, Seasonic for a lot of my machines at work. Ah well.

Not like Seasonic is bad :)

Anyway, it looks like the MK. II Silencers are made by Highpower, which is an offshoot of Sirfa. But yeah, not much hope that this new line will be actually good judging from the track record of the rest of Sirfa built/designed PSUs.

That Fatality PSU is made by Sirfa, as are all the upcoming Silencers and I believe all the rest of OCZ's currently-manufactured PSUs as well.

Just based on what I've seen on their website, I'm not happy. I've seen more than a few cases where case temperatures were actually lower with a power supply with a front intake than with a power supply with a bottom-mounted fan, and it's getting harder and harder to find decent power supplies with this layout. With the lower end PCP&C units going to 135mm fans it looks like I'm down to Seasonic, Seasonic, and, uh, Seasonic for a lot of my machines at work. Ah well.

Antec Signature, Antec Earthwatts 500W and below, Antec Truepower Quattro, Zippy

Anyway, I wouldn't be relying on the PSU fan to cool the case...get better or more case fans.

Antec Signature, Antec Earthwatts 500W and below, Antec Truepower Quattro, Zippy

The TruePower Quattro is not a Seasonic-made PSU - but one that's made by Enhance. I think you got it confused with the TruePower New, which is Seasonic-made.

Also, older versions of the EarthWatts 500W and below were Seasonic-made - but the currently-produced versions have a "D" after the number, which indicates that the entire EarthWatts line is now made by Delta.

On the other hand, if that list represents "good" PSUs with a rear-mounted fan (or a push-pull fan configuration) rather than a bottom-mounted one, then it is fairly accurate.

Last edited:
The TruePower Quattro is not a Seasonic-made PSU - but one that's made by Enhance. I think you got it confused with the TruePower New, which is Seasonic-made.
He was suggesting several PSUs with rear-mounted 80mm fans. His post had nothing to do with Seasonic (in fact, none of the PSUs he mentioned are made by Seasonic).

He was suggesting several PSUs with rear-mounted 80mm fans. His post had nothing to do with Seasonic (in fact, none of the PSUs he mentioned are made by Seasonic).

Yes, I added the "rear 80mm fan" sentence at the bottom.

Not like Seasonic is bad :)

Nah, not in the least. :) I just wish I had a few more options when it came to front intake power supplies.

With respect to the Mk II silencers... seems to me that OCZ pretty much intends to gut PCP&C and use the name to move their products. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I wouldn't be relying on the PSU fan to cool the case...get better or more case fans.

Of course you don't rely on the power supply to cool the case. But in your average midtower case with a top mounted power supply, a rear 120mm exhaust fan, and a front 120mm intake fan (something like this, for instance) I have seen case temperatures 1-3*C lower with a front air intake on the power supply, even using decent (mainly Sanyo Denki 9S1212M401s, Noctua and Scythe 120mm fans and those Thermaltake variable speed 120mm) fans. If the whole front of the case is meshed, this issue disappears; it's a design issue with certain cases.

It really depends on the specific case and fans you use, but you can get a little warm air pocket stuck in front of the power supply, which is what having a front intake on the PS addresses. CPU temperatures should be basically identical either way, since the rear exhaust fan should move enough air by itself that adding another direct exhaust from the CPU area in the form of a bottom intake on the power supply won't make a difference to anything (if going from an 80mm/front intake PS to a 120mm+ bottom intake PS drops your CPU temps, your case's airflow is garbage), but I have seen RAM temperatures drop measurably with a front intake power supply compared to a bottom intake PS.

You could of course achieve the same thing by going to higher airflow case fans, but to generate enough airflow that you've got an air current with any kind of meaningful velocity passing over say, the RAM slots and that top right corner of the motherboard in a case similar to the one that I linked to, even with 120mm fans, you're getting into a level of airflow that brings with it a level of noise that is not appropriate in an office environment.

Obviously, all of this can be eliminated entirely by using a decent case, such as the CoolerMaster 590 and 690. But if your case is a few years old and/or a piece of shit (or both, like many of the cases that were used on our systems at work), that doesn't help you much. :p

I'm aware of Zippy's products-I've got a couple of NOS 700w Zippy units in storage waiting for me to get around to getting some of my older dual socket boards set up again-but availability is a problem. Do you know of any trustworthy resellers that carry Zippy's lower-wattage, non-redundant, standard ATX sized power supplies (e.g. the HG2-6400P) in the US right now? The last google search that I did tured up a few companies, but nobody that I've heard of. =/ (Edit: Did another google search after I posted just for the hell of it. Looks like NCIX has the 6400P; I gave up looking for anyone carrying Zippy's products a while back)

As for Antec... eyah. Antec is permanently on my shit list thanks to the old SmartPower series' proclivity for destroying hardware when it fails, and I'd sooner pay out of my own pocket to put every system in the office in a new case than spend another cent (be it mine or the business') on anything that Antec sells. The Signatures are DAMN good units, and most of the TPQ lineup is too (except for that moronic "power cache" hack on the 1200w model; they ghettorigged caps onto the modular cables to get ripple under control and tried to turn it into a marketing feature); the Earthwatts are pretty good too from what I've read, but if Antec is making money off of it, I won't buy one. :)

The OCZ 750w you linked to is 80plus Bronze, while the Silencer 750W is 80plus Silver.... doubt they are the same power supply.

The OCZ 750w you linked to is 80plus Bronze, while the Silencer 750W is 80plus Silver.... doubt they are the same power supply.
No, they most likely use different platforms. I suspect that the 750W model uses a variation of the ModXStream platform while the Silencers probably use something similar to the Z-series Gold platform. However, they all share the same manufacturer.

... but if Antec is making money off of it, I won't buy one. :)

So... companies are not allowed to make money from their products? Or do I misunderstand your post?

As for the SmartPower, I think Antec paid the price over the years now and it's time to leave these things behind, don't you think so? Antec has a lot of great products now that beats most of the competion, so why not giving a second chance?

So... companies are not allowed to make money from their products? Or do I misunderstand your post?

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm afraid that I find that statement rather disingenuous. I'm betting that you know full well that that's not what I said, Christoph. But I'll humour you and clarify it on the off chance that yourself or someone else reading this thread truly finds my previous statement confusing.

Of course businesses are "allowed" to make money. The primary-if not the sole-purpose of operating a business is to profit off of the products that you sell. However, if I dislike a company for one reason or another, I am allowed to take my business to one of their competitors and/or simply choose not to buy their product, so as to deny them the money that they would have made had I bought an item from them. In short, Antec is welcome to make a profit. In fact, I bid them luck in making as much money as they can. But I refuse to contribute any of my money to their bottom line. Is that clear enough?

As for the SmartPower, I think Antec paid the price over the years now and it's time to leave these things behind, don't you think so?

Would you care to see what I had come across my desk last Thursday, Christoph? Let's start with this (click pics for higher-res versions):

This is a SmartPower power supply that was installed in a machine that spontaneously shut itself off last week. Do you see anything wrong with it yet?

What about now?

Perhaps a side view would help clarify things a bit:

Two little capacitors, bulging just a bit. Just two. Little Fuhjyyu electrolytics. Not good, but not the end of the world, right? I mean after all, I've seen power supplies from far less reputable companies than Antec-Leadman comes to mind, as does Bestec-with all of the caps on the secondary not just blown but leaking, and the systems they were powering were just fine after the power supplies were replaced... How bad could it be? Well...

Allow me to zoom in for you just a bit:

This is (well, was) a Seagate 7200.9 hard drive that was installed in the same machine as that failed SmartPower. It kinda goes without saying that this drive doesn't work anymore. But the drive and the power supply itself weren't the only casualties here. Oh no. Also DOA was one ASUS P5LD2-VM, one 3GHz Pentium 4, two 256MB sticks of DDR2 RAM, and a Matrox Cronos PCI frame capture card that is required to operate the equipment that this machine was connected to. Everything in the box, in other words. Except for the Antec Tricool case fan, which worked fine, but whose bearings were so ridiculously loose that I couldn't put it back out on the shop floor.

I replaced the box with a 6-core AMD system (including a Seasonic S12-II 620w power supply, which is thus far working flawlessly-just as I would expect from a Seasonic product). I don't have the receipts handy but the system ran probably about $750, less the replacement for the Cronos, which is going to cost another $500. Plus the cost of my time, which I could have spent on other things. The P4 box was old, but it was working fine for what it was used for and it probably still would be if it weren't for Antec's capacitor selection on the SmartPowers.

Let me throw some more pictures your way. Here's another one of these delightful little turds that came my way a few months back:

As you can see, I ripped the primary side heatsink out (literally) to get a better look at things, but that's not what's important here. See it yet? Let's move a bit closer...

Oh, ho, ho it's magic, you know... We're right back where we were with the first unit, with another pair of bulging Fuhjyyu capacitors. And check out the soldering job on this thing:

I've certainly seen worse, but I've seen a hell of a lot better, too.

But I digress. Do you think this one went quietly? Oh no, no, no. Not a chance. Apparently someone at Antec (or CWT) was a big Dylan Thomas fan, because this thing most assuredly did not go gentle into that good night.

It took another board and a hard drive with it-although at least the motherboard in this system managed to protect the CPU, RAM and Quadro card that was in it. The only positive thing I can say about this particular PS is that it didn't go so far as to actually light up anything else in the system (besides the board and hard drive); it just smoked and shut off, and neither the board nor the hard drive would power up after that.

But wait, there's more! I yanked another one of these off my shelf. Guess what?

Tell me, why is it that I suddenly find myself with Whitesnake's Here I Go Again stuck in my head?
Let's get up close and personal with this lovely piece of equipment, shall we?

This one actually made it all the way to the "leaking" stage before it puked. Sadly, I failed to take a picture of the mess that this little sweetheart left in its wake, but I'll describe it. Have you ever seen a dead motherboard that resembles the aftermath of a bomb going off in a fireworks factory? The CPU VRM and the power circuitry near the southbridge both resembled the hard drive that I posted pictures of earlier. As I'm sure you've predicted by now, this one took everything else in the system with it.

These are just the three I had sitting around (and here's a group photo just to prove that I didn't somehow show the same power supply three times. You'll have to excuse the disassembly methods, I'm afraid that preservation of the units took a back seat to laziness). I've had probably a dozen or more of these engineering "masterpieces" pass through my hands now. Do you know how many systems that have had a SmartPower fail have escaped otherwise unscathed? Zero. Not a single one. Not even one, Christoph. In what world is a 100% failure rate (in this case, the failure is not the failure of the PSU itself, but rather an apparent failure to fail in a safe manner) acceptable?

If you add up the cost of my time, the cost of the replacement parts, the cost of the downtime while the machines were repaired or replaced, and the depreciated value of the old hardware that probably would have been good if the SPs had gone out in a dignified manner, I would be surprised if the cost of your employers' poor decisions to the company that I work for alone isn't comfortably into 5 figures. And for what? I just inventoried and priced the caps in a SP-400. Do you know what it would have cost to make it a 100% Nichicon unit? About $8 from Digikey when purchasing parts in quantities of 10,000. Considering that Digikey isn't the cheapest place in the world, and considering that CWT would probably have been buying direct from the manufacturer with the quantities you'd need, what do you think the added cost to Antec would have been? My guess is $3-5, if even that.

That'd be what, about $10 in additional cost to the consumer? So because Antec wanted to price these things at about $70 instead of $80 or $90, I'm out $10k+ worth of time and hardware-thanks to an issue that was absolutely avoidable. There's no excuse for that. None. And for that reason, I will never, ever, ever purchase an Antec product again.

Antec has a lot of great products now that beats most of the competion, so why not giving a second chance?
Well, I think I've already answered the second part of that question, but allow me to address the first part for a moment-the part where you said that Antec has a lot of great products that beat most of the competition. What products would those be, exactly?

The Signature power supplies? They're very good, but they're hardly heads and shoulders above the Corsair HX or the Seasonic X-series, both of which easily best the SG's efficiency numbers. The SG has them on +12v ripple control, but when we're dealing with numbers around 1/6th of the ATX spec, who cares? Can you prove to me that reducing ripple from 24mV to 13mV (for the HX and the SG, respectively) will have any statistically significant impact on real-world component reliability, stability or durability, or overclocking when all of the other hardware in the system is in good working order? I'll bet money that you can't. The SG also has them both on voltage regulation, but the HX and the X both stay in spec and comfortably above 12v at all times so I don't see that this is a problem in this case.

The CP power supplies? The straight through cooling + 120mm fan combination is a great idea, I'd love to see other companies license it and watch it take off, and the power supplies themselves have done very well in reviews. But what is up with the capacitor selection on these things? What's Delta doing for you with these, just using whatever they find on the stockroom floor? I mean seriously, you guys have Rubycon and Nichicon mixed in with Samxon, Ltec and Taicon? What kind of sense does that make? And further, they won't fit in an ATX case, so you have to factor in the price of an Antec case, and the cases they DO fit in are, for the most part, crap.

The TruePower Quattros? The 850 is OK, again the 12v ripple control is very good. But the efficiency is laughable compared to the Seasonic M12D platform in the XFX 850w Black Edition, and the voltage regulation is no better. I doubt the 1kW unit is anything special (and I can't be bothered to look, since hell will freeze before I buy one), and the 1200w is a joke. I don't care how good any of the numbers are, you guys put filter capacitors that the power supply needs to keep ripple under control on the power leads because you couldn't fit them inside the power supply, and you're trying to market it as a feature. It's not a feature. It's a design flaw. This is tantamount to Lexus covering up the atrocious stopping distances on the LS460 compared to its German competition by saying they've "reduced the vehicle's maximum rate of deceleration to provide occupants with a smoother, more comfortable panic stop."

The TruePower New series? Some (all?) of them are built by Seasonic, so I can't fairly call you guys out on much in the way of quality issues, because there shouldn't be any. Cap selection is good-at least on the 750, I haven't looked closely at the cheaper models-but why would I buy a 750w TruePower when the XFX 750w Black Edition is only marginally more expensive and offers both better voltage regulation and higher efficiency without giving up much of anything on the ripple control side?

I can't really be bothered to go down the rest of the list of power supplies Antec offers, but I'm sure that I can dig up something from someone else at every wattage level and similar price points that offer functionally equal or better performance. The Signatures are the best you guys have, and while they're very, very good, they're not at all earth-shattering anymore.

And what about the rest of your products? I can give you a whole litany of reasons as to why the vast majority of Antec's cases are inferior to much of their competition from CoolerMaster, Lian Li and other companies. The last decent tower form factor cases you guys had were the Chieftec-built SX-1240s, SX-1030/1040s and SX-830/835s, and that was almost a decade ago.

Or how about fans? I think this video (which I made for another post that I haven't gotten around to actually making yet) pretty much says all that needs to be said about the quality (or lack thereof) of Antec's case fans; and if it doesn't, I'll be more than happy to write another small novel on how many of the craptacular TriCool fans I've had to replace because the bearings were so loose that I could fit the entire width of my index finger between the motor hub and the base of the impeller, or how many I've seen that have simply seized up.

The bottom line is that there are plenty of other companies out there making products that equal or exceed the quality of everything in Antec's current product portfolio. And none of them have burned me anything like as badly as Antec has. Why on earth would I choose to do business with Antec when I have all of those other companies to choose from? Thank you, but no. I'll take my money elsewhere.

Last edited:
i dont know about you guys, but i just feel tingly all over after reading a concise, to-the-point post by a guy who knows just about everything in the entire world.

the malenky hairs just stand edgewise all over my plott.

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm afraid that I find that statement rather disingenuous. I'm betting that you know full well that that's not what I said, Christoph.

Of course he does but his job is to setup the PR spin, put it out, and sell product for Antec these days though.

I think you missed his point.

Sirous has obviously reached his boilng point.

I think his original point was that it is getting hard to find quality PSUs with a high RPM fan which vents air directly out of the case...

With respect to the Mk II silencers... seems to me that OCZ pretty much intends to gut PCP&C and use the name to move their products. :rolleyes:

I got that impression as well after looking at these MK IIs. There are tons PSUs w/ large top/bottom mounted fans why add more? The Silencers & Turbo-Cools are a brand, such drastic redesign may wind up hurting it. And there's the issue of performance & realibility. I came to trust the PC P&C brand after owning several of their PSUs & i'll be closely watching to see how the MK IIs perform & hope they will be able to reach the bar set high by their predecessors.

I got that impression as well after looking at these MK IIs. There are tons PSUs w/ large top/bottom mounted fans why add more? The Silencers & Turbo-Cools are a brand, such drastic redesign may wind up hurting it. And there's the issue of performance & realibility. I came to trust the PC P&C brand after owning several of their PSUs & i'll be closely watching to see how the MK IIs perform & hope they will be able to reach the bar set high by their predecessors.

They are not using Win-tact for the Turbo-cools or Seasonic for the Silencers anymore so they are not simply having those products redesigned by Win-tact or Seasonic for the new fan layout (though the Silencer 910 was an overhead fan design from the get go).

They are not using Win-tact for the Turbo-cools or Seasonic for the Silencers anymore so they are not simply having those products redesigned by Win-tact or Seasonic for the new fan layout (though the Silencer 910 was an overhead fan design from the get go).

OK, didnt know those guys didnt make em anymore. Makes me glad that i just got a Silencer 750 made in 07 which is Seasonic built :D

PCP&C dug their own grave on this one. I don't know if it was arrogance, being stubborn, or just bad engineering but they refused to change with the market. Everyone had moved to 120mm+ fans and put out a few modular designs while they kind of stuck to the old school designs thinking their name was enough. It seemed as though Corsair, Antec, and Enermax were coming out with new units left and right while PCP&C sat around and put out 2 or 3 new units in the past 3 years. I mean no matter how good the Turbo-Cools were, they can't bank on a PSU that costs $400 and had 1200w to be their staple. The Silencer 750W was about their only mainstream psu that was reasonable in price and wattage and by the time the 910W Silencer came out was way too late. Oh well, can't be the King forever

Ive been speaking to pc power & cooling for the last 2 months off and on about ordering a couple of the new silencers on a pre-order basis..but still no stock so i had to go with some corsairs for now..Ive spoke to the tech guys at pcp&c and have been told by them that these are seasonic units at least the 750 & 950 wt units i was interested in....
my son runs a ocz fatality 700wt unit in his 920 i7 and its rock solid as far as voltages go ,runs cool and quiet so ive got no complaints with his unit...he is at 3.8 with 3 h/drives and a bunch of 120mm fans[antec 900 case]...im interested in the 750 wt fatality modular for my rig with the window case lian li pc 17 black....

Just because it's working fine doesn't make that OCZ fatality PSU good at all. The OCZ Fata1ty line is still mediocre. I'm willing to bet that when the OCZ Fata1ty 750W PSU is finally released, there'll be at least dozen other modular PSUs in the same wattage or price range that are of superior quality.

Ive spoke to the tech guys at pcp&c and have been told by them that these are seasonic units at least the 750 & 950 wt units i was interested in....
They were lying to you. I can tell you with 100% certainty that NONE of the upcoming PCP&C PSUs are Seasonic-made.

They were lying to you. I can tell you with 100% certainty that NONE of the upcoming PCP&C PSUs are Seasonic-made.

I think wesleys_dad and the PC P&C techs were talking about the older Silencer models that were Seasonic made.

If they're talking about the future/upcoming ones, then yeah, PC P&C is lying.

I think wesleys_dad and the PC P&C techs were talking about the older Silencer models that were Seasonic made.
I doubt that. PCP&C reps wouldn't have been talking about those older models within the past two months, and there was also never a 950W Silencer whereas the upcoming MKII lineup does include a 950W model. Also, wesleys_dad specifically mentioned new Silencers in his post.

I doubt that. PCP&C reps wouldn't have been talking about those older models within the past two months, and there was also never a 950W Silencer whereas the upcoming MKII lineup does include a 950W model. Also, wesleys_dad specifically mentioned new Silencers in his post.

Ahhh I thought wesleys_dad was just confused about the Silencer 910W model, accidentally referring it as a "950W" model.

i dont know about you guys, but i just feel tingly all over after reading a concise, to-the-point post by a guy who knows just about everything in the entire world.

the malenky hairs just stand edgewise all over my plott.

Ah yes, the sarcastic ad hominem attack. The first choice of master debaters and intellectuals the world over. And why not? It's common knowledge, after all, that nothing discredits your opponent faster than the needless slinging of feces. Good show, sir. Good show indeed.

I think his original point was that it is getting hard to find quality PSUs with a high RPM fan which vents air directly out of the case...

Yeah, pretty much. Thanks for mentioning the Zippys, if it hadn't been for your post I wouldn't have bothered looking for them again.

PCP&C dug their own grave on this one. I don't know if it was arrogance, being stubborn, or just bad engineering but they refused to change with the market. Everyone had moved to 120mm+ fans and put out a few modular designs while they kind of stuck to the old school designs thinking their name was enough. It seemed as though Corsair, Antec, and Enermax were coming out with new units left and right while PCP&C sat around and put out 2 or 3 new units in the past 3 years. I mean no matter how good the Turbo-Cools were, they can't bank on a PSU that costs $400 and had 1200w to be their staple. The Silencer 750W was about their only mainstream psu that was reasonable in price and wattage and by the time the 910W Silencer came out was way too late. Oh well, can't be the King forever

I don't think that it was so much an issue of a lack of new models as it was a cost issue, as you mentioned. There's still a market for non-modular power supplies, if not 80mm-fan-cooled ones, but most of their products were substantially more expensive than a lot of their competition, and the extra cost didn't always translate to better performance.

I wonder what the odds are that PCP&C/OCZ worked with Sirfa to squeeze some extra performance out of them over the OCZ products...

I wonder what the odds are that PCP&C/OCZ worked with Sirfa to squeeze some extra performance out of them over the OCZ products...

Well the OCZ Z-Series is fairly decent.

Close to zero, I would say. PCP&C doesn't do much design work other than picking paint colours and choosing the layout of the boxes their products come in.

Wow what is being said about the fatality 700wt ocz surprises me as ive read many reviews on it and its built by impervia i believe ive read in several reviews..it uses the same board as the ocz gold series 1000wt unit...pc perspective has an in depth review of it and rates it very good...some of the reviews have it just power a rig up and ck voltages but pc perspective puts it through paces with specialized equipment and all looks good to me..I know about the sirfra reputation and the 550 modular fatality is sirfra but the 700wt seems to be impervia....
here is the link to the review...any opinions on this test and impervia power supplys...
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=729

The 700W model is good quality; it's the 750W model that is made by Sirfa. The 700W version is completely different from the 1000W Z-series unit, which is also built by Sirfa.

Wow what is being said about the fatality 700wt ocz surprises me as ive read many reviews on it and its built by impervia i believe ive read in several reviews..it uses the same board as the ocz gold series 1000wt unit...pc perspective has an in depth review of it and rates it very good...some of the reviews have it just power a rig up and ck voltages but pc perspective puts it through paces with specialized equipment and all looks good to me..I know about the sirfra reputation and the 550 modular fatality is sirfra but the 700wt seems to be impervia....
here is the link to the review...any opinions on this test and impervia power supplys...
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=729

Well I stand corrected. Did not remember correctly that the Fata1ty 700W was Impervia.

I remember a quote from a PP&C "engineer" that their designs preclude 120mm fans because of the "compromises," needed to fit them. So, these new PSU's must be...?

I remember a quote from a PP&C "engineer" that their designs preclude 120mm fans because of the "compromises," needed to fit them. So, these new PSU's must be...?

Well clearly a 140mm fan is not a 120mm fan ;)

pcpowermythsbusted.jpg

I had an old smart power 2.0 that had those two leaking caps, I noticed it before it took anything out, antec replaced it free of charge with a true power 3.0 or something like, its been going good for 2 years now.

Back