ANyone see Windows 8 on technet yet?

vSphere Client does NOT work properly in Windows 8! Once installed (using compatibility mode), it will not achieve a console connection to any VM. Apparently this issue has been ongoing since the first preview releases of 8 almost a year ago, and there is still no fix from VMware! Supposedly you can connect using VMware Workstation, though. This is obnoxious. >.<

So long as it isn't an N version, it should have Media Center

They are very clearly marked (both ISO's and key's) on technet as being N version or not

hmmm... ok... well I have a non N version of win 8 x 64 ... and no media center..are you saying it should have installed w/ windows or that I should be able to add it from the add features?

or is it F***ing me cause I installed it as a VM in ESXi?

vSphere Client does NOT work properly in Windows 8! Once installed (using compatibility mode), it will not achieve a console connection to any VM. Apparently this issue has been ongoing since the first preview releases of 8 almost a year ago, and there is still no fix from VMware!

super... didn't know about that...

This whole media center thing is gonna piss me off, my PC is the only TV I have that can get digital cable -_-

Only the Pro version has Media Center, right? Is that the key you installed?

Pro only has the ability to be upgraded to the media version, it doesn't come with pro and doesn't seem to be available at all right now

vSphere Client does NOT work properly in Windows 8! Once installed (using compatibility mode), it will not achieve a console connection to any VM. Apparently this issue has been ongoing since the first preview releases of 8 almost a year ago, and there is still no fix from VMware! Supposedly you can connect using VMware Workstation, though. This is obnoxious. >.<

well that sucks....... hope they fix this soon :(

I am sitting here just trying to see what I get that is better than what I have with Win 7.

Almost tempted to go back to 7.

What has been your experience with Win 8?

I am sitting here just trying to see what I get that is better than what I have with Win 7.

Almost tempted to go back to 7.

What has been your experience with Win 8?

After going through an arduous process of successfully upgrading RP to RTM, here's my list

Pros

• Faster loading apps & games
  • Faster GUI transition
  • Faster network response time
  • Start screen (after customization) is exactly what I want
  • Windows Store installs apps very quickly
  • Highly stable with less app crashes as well
  • Windows To Go (best new feature so far)
Cons

• Lack of customization in Modern UI apps
  • Lack of signed driver support from many manufacturers
  • Lack of app variety in Windows Store (for now)
  • RTM's inability to upgrade from RP unless modifications are done (was successfully done anyways)
  • No RSAT for RTM at this time (complete BS - MS should've been ready with this)
  • Enterprise defaults to an unknown KMS key & fails to activate w/o asking for a new key. Had to change over to a MAK through the slmgr script.
That's all I can think of for now. If anyone needs the workaround for upgrading from DP/CP/RP to RTM, let me know.

My daughter has a dreamspark account, They took win 7 off of it last year due to abuse of the system, only have server OS on it now. I dont imagine they will be putting Win 8 on it.

i have two dreamspark accounts (from a jc and a university), and they both have win7. the only place they pulled it was from that amc (acm?) thing were people were signing up for like $20 to get win7 keys.

MSDNAA comes with 2 Windows 7 keys per account. MSDNAA is a premium version of Dreamspark. Supposidly MSDNAA was going to receive Windows 8 today, but it looks like it hasn't.

Edit: It looks like those with MSDNAA accounts won't get it until the 25th.
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-for-dreamspark-students-coming-august-25th

now i need someone to share their win8 pro iso with me. ill use my key in ten days to activate it.

Win8 still isn't showing up on VLSC. Hope they push that out soon, I'm ready to upgrade!

i have two dreamspark accounts (from a jc and a university), and they both have win7. the only place they pulled it was from that amc (acm?) thing were people were signing up for like $20 to get win7 keys.

ah I see there is a "premium" dreanmspark that has client OS versions, I guess hers is standard.

Yeah I was wondering about that myself on MSDN. It just says Windows 8 there but when you go get the keys there's two sets, one for regular 8 retail and one for Pro retail. You can get up to five for each for a total of 10 retail keys.

What confused it more is it explicitly listed Windows 8 Pro VL N in the listing, but no simple "Windows Pro xXX"

So does Microsoft have an official tool to convert the ISO to a USB install on UEFI motherboards yet? I know there are a lot of hack job instructions on the web that work, but was looking for an official process/utility.

This is not a problem.... You can do it yourself.

Search Google for "Create Bootable USB"

All enterprise versions have a single MAK.

I was really hoping WS2012 was dropping today too, I am disappoint.

Me too.

Anyone have TN dates for Server 2012E and Office 2013?

I'd kinda like to do this as a single weekend project.

grrr can't find out if i can get media center with my technet key couldn't even buy a media center key if i wanted to.

my enthusiasm for RTM win 8 is equal to my enthusiasm for Dev preview and Consumer preview releases....and it wasn't HIGH for either of those :(

so many things that are just simply more difficult for no good reason.... oh well... but yuck ...i've been trying to give it a chance to grow on me ...it aint.

I thought Pro included Media Center. No ? I thought only the STD version of 8 required the purchase.

It seems as though most icons haven't changed to better suit the Metro aesthetic. This seems more than slightly lazy on Microsoft's part.

I just did W8 pro (since we don't have the win8 kms server up yet) and my consoles are working with vsphere 4.1 connecting to esxi 4.1. Are you on esxi 5 or ?

A bit ridiculous... RSAT for Windows 8 RTM is definitely not available.

The RP version works. Just extract the files from it and use pkgmgr to install it through an elevated command prompt: pkgmgr /n:Windows6.2-KB2693643-x64.xml

Disclaimer: I'm just using W8 pro, not ent.

It finally showed up on VLSC this afternoon, installing on VBox now.

Any one come across any dealbreaking bugs that we should be aware of (besides VSphere for ESX5)? I'd like to eventually upgrade from Win7 to this but want to give it some time to break in.

The RP version works. Just extract the files from it and use pkgmgr to install it through an elevated command prompt: pkgmgr /n:Windows6.2-KB2693643-x64.xml

Disclaimer: I'm just using W8 pro, not ent.

Thanks. I'll try it. :D

I just did W8 pro (since we don't have the win8 kms server up yet) and my consoles are working with vsphere 4.1 connecting to esxi 4.1. Are you on esxi 5 or ?

I'm on 5. I was able to get VMware Workstation 8 to connect to my consoles at least, so that is a viable alternative until we get a real fix from VMware.

I hate to say it, but I went back to Win 7.

It just didn't seem all that fantastic...

I'll wait for the next version. :(

Yeah, it's not good for a keyboard/mouse driven system, IMO. Since they're not calling the UI "Metro" anymore, they should consider calling it "Kludge". That's how it feels to me, "kludgey".

is there anywhere to download the isos besides on technet? i only have a msdnaa account and wont have a key for a week or so and i am trying to get the iso now to install it before i get a key. anyone want to share a win8 pro 64bit iso with me?

is there anywhere to download the isos besides on technet? i only have a msdnaa account and wont have a key for a week or so and i am trying to get the iso now to install it before i get a key. anyone want to share a win8 pro 64bit iso with me?

Unlike 7, you can't install this without a key. At least, not with the stock ISO.

It seems as though most icons haven't changed to better suit the Metro aesthetic. This seems more than slightly lazy on Microsoft's part.

Perhaps lazy from the perspective that Microsoft could do more important things with its resources. Even if Microsoft Metrofied all of its desktop icons what about all of the literally millions of 3rd party ones? People bringing up the icons don't seem to think about this point.

Unlike 7, you can't install this without a key. At least, not with the stock ISO.

I got through an install without needing to enter a key. After the first reboot, while detecting devices, and finalizing the installation, my laptop unexpectedly rebooted. I booted back into Windows and setup my user account and saw the introduction.

I then had to search for a way to enter the product key from the command line. I couldn't personalize my installation until I entered the product key.

I got through an install without needing to enter a key. After the first reboot, while detecting devices, and finalizing the installation, my laptop unexpectedly rebooted. I booted back into Windows and setup my user account and saw the introduction.

I then had to search for a way to enter the product key from the command line. I couldn't personalize my installation until I entered the product key.

Strange - was that the Enterprise, or Regular/Pro ISO? I did the Pro install on my desktop, which definitely needed the key to go any further.

Perhaps lazy from the perspective that Microsoft could do more important things with its resources. Even if Microsoft Metrofied all of its desktop icons what about all of the literally millions of 3rd party ones? People bringing up the icons don't seem to think about this point.

Much like it seems that Microsoft didn't think about the point of bringing this backwards interface to the desktop.

Strange - was that the Enterprise, or Regular/Pro ISO? I did the Pro install on my desktop, which definitely needed the key to go any further.

Enterprise. Also, the GUI didn't have a method to change the product key. I tried to activate, but the default product key caused a "DNS unable to resolve request" or similar message. I had to search for a method to change the product key from the command line.

Enterprise. Also, the GUI didn't have a method to change the product key. I tried to activate, but the default product key caused a "DNS unable to resolve request" or similar message. I had to search for a method to change the product key from the command line.

From a prior post of mine
Enterprise defaults to an unknown KMS key & fails to activate w/o asking for a new key. Had to change over to a MAK through the slmgr script.

I used slmgr -ipk <key> for it

I downloaded from technet last night for my "Evaluation" purposes. I installed it onto a 128GB SSD drive that I have recently purchased. It installed without a hitch. I installed Star Trek Online and Battlefield 3. Both played very well after I installed all the drivers and such for my machine.

The metro desktop really takes some getting use too. Once I kinda figured out where everything is, things went by quickly. Def more geared toward the tablet market, but we move forward in time, not backwards, it is here to stay no matter how many of us bitch.

I will prolly play with it more as we get closer to launch date. I will place a few copies onto our touch screen desktops in our library where I work and put it into production and let our students bang around on it.

Microsoft - We make Monopolies fun
"Windows 8 Metro... It's here to stay no matter how many of them bitch."

I downloaded from technet last night for my "Evaluation" purposes. I installed it onto a 128GB SSD drive that I have recently purchased. It installed without a hitch. I installed Star Trek Online and Battlefield 3. Both played very well after I installed all the drivers and such for my machine.

The metro desktop really takes some getting use too. Once I kinda figured out where everything is, things went by quickly. Def more geared toward the tablet market, but we move forward in time, not backwards, it is here to stay no matter how many of us bitch.

I will prolly play with it more as we get closer to launch date. I will place a few copies onto our touch screen desktops in our library where I work and put it into production and let our students bang around on it.

Last edited:
Back