Anyone recommend good run and good shooters?

Tudz

Supreme [H]ardness
As the title says, I'm just looking for a shooter to blow off some steam, run and gun down some noobs. Not really wanting something like Battlefield.

Honestly, I'd love to play COD, but I played COD:Ghosts on a friend's PC and the lack of dedicated servers in Australia made it completely suck. That sort of game it's impossible to work around lag and more than half the games I played had enough lag to be annoying. I played a bit of COD4 (the high point of the series for me) but there's only a couple of servers still running in Australia.

So basically I'm looking for a COD alternative, lol. Some mindless fun with dedicated servers so I don't have to worry about lag, small scale tactics are what I enjoy (where you win because you better predict your opponent's position more than anything else).

Check out Blacklight: Retribution. The shooting feels awesome and the game is all-around pretty damn good. The weapon customization is great but you should expect to need to play quite a bit to actually get to partake in it...that, or spend money on the game. All the parts are "Improves this, makes this worse" type upgrades so as far as I could tell there wasn't really a pay to *win* aspect but more like a "pay to enjoy the really cool weapon customization" aspect. Worst-case scenario if you don't like it; just delete it, it's free :p

Planetside 2 might be worth checking out. There is an Australian server and though it is similar to battlefield you can find plenty of places to fight around that are primarily focused on infantry. Its also free to play so wouldn't cost you anything other than some bandwidth on the dl to check it out if you haven't done so already.

Cs:go.

Plus it's cheap.

this, honestly I quit playing cs for a long time because I was having internet problems. I picked up CS:GO again this week. Man that game has made leaps and bounds especially in the competitive ranked match making. 9/10 I get good balanced matches which has always been a problem in other FPS's. Also Valve puts you in time out now for abandoning matches which keeps things from being one sided.

They really need to make a Solder of Fortune 3 with modern tech (that Payback abomination doesn't count). SoF 2 was one of my favorite MP games ever.

Yeah me and my friends wasted HOURS playing SoF2, one of the best MP games ever. CTF actually worked and was fun. It did have a lack of weapons though .

For the OP, Try PayDay2 or Left for Dead , those games offer a lot of twitch shooting. CS:GO is fun but there is quite a bit of down time.

Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix

A wonderful shooter! I still install it and play it every now and again. The mission generator was a neat feature and fun when you didn't want story, just a task to complete.

Or if you want even less story....serious sam (any of them)

Last edited:
Cs:go.

Plus it's cheap.

Absolutely nothing like COD, and its surely not a run and gunner. Its a strategic fps that is highly dependant on team play.

In short it'd be a waste of money for what he describes he is looking for.

Painkiller
Borderlands
Serious Sam
Far Cry 3

I also agree with Blacklight, though that's more tactical like CS and less "running" involved.

Absolutely nothing like COD, and its surely not a run and gunner. Its a strategic fps that is highly dependant on team play.

In short it'd be a waste of money for what he describes he is looking for.

completely agree if you're doing anything but gun game, that IS run and gun, but that is only one mode that gets old after an hour.

I agree with people recommending serious sam. that is the definition of run and run i think.

To me "run and gun" means running around and killing, that's all, no other objectives. Both Battlefield and CoD offer several versions of this including Team Death Match. Battlefield 3 also has a play mode called Gunmaster where make your way through a set of guns the more kills you get. Most MP versions of shooters have a Team Death Match play mode. But like others have said, go old school and play some Quake 3, Half-Life or Unreal Tournament death matches.

Back